Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Jim

UK

#192443 Dec 15, 2013
In the 1700s its was "believe in the bible - or die!"

In 2013 its "jesus loves you - or die!"
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#192444 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know who those people are, Atheists have evidence that there's no god, its called evolution.
which one of those theories would that be? Abiogenesis?
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#192445 Dec 15, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
How tragic that you live your life in fear of the very thing you worship...
You have every right to chose hell as your eternal dwelling.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#192446 Dec 15, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, there is no proof that any god has ever existed.
Yeah, we know...
poor baby, you lack the gift, are you jelous?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#192447 Dec 15, 2013
lightbeamrider wrote:
Other than personal outrage, on what objective basis do you oppose this practice?
There is no objective basis for morals. Nor for beauty. Your Christian values are subjective as well - the product of ancient, paternalistic, and often cruel men. You just claim otherwise, and then claim that your values are the only valid ones

Sorry, but we reject that claim, if for no better reason than that we have seen your methods fail. We are perfectly content to muddle on in our human ways not only because we have no other choice, but because we are pleased with the progress we made, while the religious have made none.
Jim

UK

#192448 Dec 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> which one of those theories would that be? Abiogenesis?
Evolution is based upon evidence.
Religion is based upon...psychosis.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#192449 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
You're going to have to do a bit better than threaten me with your delusions. Try evidence.
You sound paranoid, are you mentally stable? You have deluded yourself believing there is no diety.
Jim

UK

#192450 Dec 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You have every right to chose hell as your eternal dwelling.
Your religious threats come from your own fears & beliefs, not mine.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#192451 Dec 15, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That means release them right? Or does it mean to selfishly work them for just a roof and some gruel without using a whip too often? Christian ethics simply don't impress modern thinkers.
<quoted text>
But you did, Did you consider that enlightened?
<quoted text>
You don't know what we think even when we tell you. You only know what you are told about us. And that is because as a faith based thinker, you have no use for evidence.
Gruel bwhahahaha, how gastronomical!
Jim

UK

#192452 Dec 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You have every right to chose hell as your eternal dwelling.
I have every right to question your empty threats on my decaying dead body.

You cannot sell me religious fear, because I don't fear death.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#192453 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is based upon evidence.
Religion is based upon...psychosis.
Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. If you insist on being spiritually destitute , that's gonna be your problem.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#192454 Dec 15, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>

It took enlightened people applying compassion rationally in defiance of biblical principle as it was taught and understood to do what people acting under the Old and New Testaments had lived with for millennia, would never have overcome without humanistic rational ethicists.
That's funny.

http://histclo.com/act/work/slave/abol/cou/ac...

"Enlightenment thinkers did not launch the abolitionist movement and were not among the leaders of the aboliitionist movement which developed. Some figures associated with Enlightenment thinking like Thomas Jefferson were slave owners. Rather the abolitionist movement in both Britain and America would develop within the Protestant churches. A similar dynamic occurred in American during the Civil Rights movement. The leaders of the movement came from the churches and not the intellectual, university establishment. "

http://www.historyextra.com/slavery

"However, the abolition of the slave trade could not have happened without the New Baptist Methodist churches and non-conformist groups that formed the backbone of the abolition movement in Britain during the 18th century...The abolitionists also had support within parliament, namely in the form of William Wilberforce, an evangelical Christian with a passion for social reform."

1856: Wilberforce University, named after English statesman and abolitionist William Wilberforce, opens in Ohio as a private, coeducational institution affiliated with The African Methodist Episcopal Church. This is the first institution of higher education owned and operated by African Americans.

The First Martyr in the Abolitionist Movement

For the raid on Harpers Ferry by the abolitionist John Brown in 1859, a key personal motivation for John Brown was the murder of the Presbyterian minister and editor Elijah P. Lovejoy, a fierce opponent of slavery and America’s first martyr to the abolition movement.

The son of a minister, Lovejoy grew up in Maine and after college settled in St. Louis, Missouri where he worked as editor of the Presbyterian weekly newspaper, the St. Louis Observer. He was subsequently ordained and became pastor of the Presbyterian Church in St. Louis. His editorials for the St. Louis Observer strongly condemned slavery. St. Louis was a major port in a slave state, and Lovejoy’s writings angered pro-slavery factions in the city. On three separate occasions pro-slavery mobs destroyed his printing presses, attempting to silence him.

Because of rising tensions in St. Louis over slavery, Lovejoy moved his family across the river to Illinois, a free state, in 1836. There he settled in the town of Alton, founded the Alton Observer and continued to publish and distribute anti-slavery tracts. A mob of pro-slavery partisans raided the warehouse where Lovejoy had hidden his printing press in November 1837. Lovejoy died from a shotgun blast.
Jim

UK

#192455 Dec 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You sound paranoid, are you mentally stable? You have deluded yourself believing there is no diety.
Your hardcore denial of science and evolution is sort of pitiful when you think about it.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#192456 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Your religious threats come from your own fears & beliefs, not mine.
Is truth a threat to you? You will succumb to one of the various maladies and then, what? You didn't have much choice in being born, did you?
Jim

UK

#192457 Dec 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Gruel bwhahahaha, how gastronomical!
We're not sure why people deny science, but science will eventually find out for sure.
Jim

UK

#192458 Dec 15, 2013
Religious people think that putting their irrationality into a box labelled "spiritual" somehow makes it less irrational to outsiders.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#192459 Dec 15, 2013
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
These are the same questions we ask you about god, except Science is real.
Yeah, I know science is real. It is a field of study.

I just want to know how it talks to you.

Does it have a nice personality? Seems like he would be very matter-of-fact.
Jim

UK

#192460 Dec 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny.
http://histclo.com/act/work/slave/abol/cou/ac...
"Enlightenment thinkers did not launch the abolitionist movement and were not among the leaders of the aboliitionist movement which developed. Some figures associated with Enlightenment thinking like Thomas Jefferson were slave owners. Rather the abolitionist movement in both Britain and America would develop within the Protestant churches. A similar dynamic occurred in American during the Civil Rights movement. The leaders of the movement came from the churches and not the intellectual, university establishment. "
http://www.historyextra.com/slavery
"However, the abolition of the slave trade could not have happened without the New Baptist Methodist churches and non-conformist groups that formed the backbone of the abolition movement in Britain during the 18th century...The abolitionists also had support within parliament, namely in the form of William Wilberforce, an evangelical Christian with a passion for social reform."
1856: Wilberforce University, named after English statesman and abolitionist William Wilberforce, opens in Ohio as a private, coeducational institution affiliated with The African Methodist Episcopal Church. This is the first institution of higher education owned and operated by African Americans.
The First Martyr in the Abolitionist Movement
For the raid on Harpers Ferry by the abolitionist John Brown in 1859, a key personal motivation for John Brown was the murder of the Presbyterian minister and editor Elijah P. Lovejoy, a fierce opponent of slavery and America’s first martyr to the abolition movement.
The son of a minister, Lovejoy grew up in Maine and after college settled in St. Louis, Missouri where he worked as editor of the Presbyterian weekly newspaper, the St. Louis Observer. He was subsequently ordained and became pastor of the Presbyterian Church in St. Louis. His editorials for the St. Louis Observer strongly condemned slavery. St. Louis was a major port in a slave state, and Lovejoy’s writings angered pro-slavery factions in the city. On three separate occasions pro-slavery mobs destroyed his printing presses, attempting to silence him.
Because of rising tensions in St. Louis over slavery, Lovejoy moved his family across the river to Illinois, a free state, in 1836. There he settled in the town of Alton, founded the Alton Observer and continued to publish and distribute anti-slavery tracts. A mob of pro-slavery partisans raided the warehouse where Lovejoy had hidden his printing press in November 1837. Lovejoy died from a shotgun blast.
We were waiting for your 'longspam' to come in and cover up your embarassment here.
Jim

UK

#192461 Dec 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Is truth a threat to you?
No, I support science instead of denying it.
Jim

UK

#192462 Dec 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Is truth a threat to you? You will succumb to one of the various maladies and then, what? You didn't have much choice in being born, did you?
You cannot threaten me with the passage of time. I am aware I will age and die eventually like all do.

The question is, can you really scare me into denying science, without any evidence?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Samuel Patre 87,363
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) Feb 17 superwilly 5,811
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Feb 14 ChristineM 4,032
Christianity almost did not happen Feb 12 Quatsch22 1
News Egypt's parliament takes serious actions to com... Feb 12 dollarsbillmom 19
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) Feb 10 superwilly 5,154
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Feb 9 Eagle 12 - 257
More from around the web