Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#191986 Dec 13, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
~ Mahatma Gandhi
What a smart man he was.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#191987 Dec 13, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just help you with the dot thingy.
Children are not adults.
There’s people that claim that men didn’t walk on the moon. They claim it was all staged. Just because these people didn’t personally make the journey to the moon and walk on the moon they claim it was all a hoax.
Buzz Aldrin has a different belief about that as the other 11 that walked on the moon. Their belief is based on a experience. In fact thousands experienced the Apollo program because someone had to design, build, move, fill and launch these space vehicles.
You claim there’s no God. Ok, that means you have never experienced God. And you probably will never experience God. Your opinion that you think so highly of is based on a non experience.
Well, there's also the fact - yes, fact - that there is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any god ever existed.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#191988 Dec 13, 2013
UidiotRaceMakeWorldPeace wrote:
<quoted text>Bush Dynasty are Texans , and look what they did to US and world with their war machines.
Yeah. Look what they did to us.

No terrorist attacks since 911 - until Obama took office, IdiotWorldFreak.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#191989 Dec 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with that, provided we mean that he doesn't literally hear voices, but merely interprets an urge as a calling.
Religious belief can cause mental illness, but is not a mental illness in the way that the medical profession uses the term.
It is, however, dysfunctional thinking - any thinking that contradicts reason is - that can lead to harm to self and others. The Branch Davidian thing may be an example of this, although I am suspending judgment there until I have finished learning about what options the cult members had during the siege. The Jonestown and Heaven's Gate incidents are clear examples of how faith and a contempt for reason can lead to death. "God" doesn't always call people to do charitable acts.
But even in these cases, it is more of a cultural defect than a mental illness in the medical sense, as it is not an endogenous, neurochemical mental defect, but one that is taught.
Please forgive what must sound like offensive opinions. An open-minded and objective discussion of the matter of faith must also consider its limitations and the harm it does.
"But even in these cases, it is more of a cultural defect than a mental illness in the medical sense, as it is not an endogenous, neurochemical mental defect, but one that is taught."

Perhaps in this semi-lucid state you are in you can pursue these thoughts in a more logical way, independent of your training.

You are presenting the difference between "hardwired" "thinking", versus "programming". You will always have a conflict between the two. This software, the programming, is very ethereal stuff arranged in blocks of logic that try to bias the similar very ethereal blocks of info the hardwiring produces. If they meld, you have a properly tuned machine, if not you have spurious signals that interfere with its functioning.

You can't "see" this ethereal stuff you call thought, only the effects of it at times. Sometimes you won't be able to see or recognize the effects.

Going to school is not like being plugged into something that alters your hardwiring directly by material means, such as is done in computers, a direct changing of polarity by the force of electrical flow. This educational means is a softer one, like the magnetic induction that produces an electrical flow, and can actually change its values. This unseen transfer of info is done by spoken words triggering hardwired reactions, and the "senses". Feeling sunlight, a gentle breeze, VIEWING A SCENE, or a variety of other events can trigger those alterations.

There is more of this "soft" programming, this unseen stuff, travelling around the universe than the hardwired stuff that gets impacted by it.

You are a mix of this "hardwired" generation of "thought" and the patterns of the softer stuff that permeate the universe. You can liken this roughly to how rutabagas react to varying conditions in a field. You have the basic hardwired structure from the seed and genes, but the direction of light, the composition of it, the composition of the soil it draws its nutrients from, the direction of the prevailing breeze, and its position within this field will determine how the rutabaga develops and causes differentiation in all of the rutabagas.

It's all in the interaction of universal forces on a sprout.

You are a glorified rutabaga. Perhaps the universal flow of info will cause a raccoon to pass by you and relieve itself upon you, thus adding nutrients to grow and your subsequent ability to interface with it.

:-)

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#191990 Dec 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Pedophile and murderer?
You are an idiot.
No evidence of child abuse was found, and all survivors were acquitted of murder by a jury.
FBI and ATF shot unarmed people in their home. Koresh nor none of his followers did that.
You don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Oh really?! I think a cult leader who has "wives" as young as 11 could be easily called a pedophile.
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/...
http://www.culteducation.com/reference/waco/w...
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/04/us/growing-...
http://www.apfn.net/messageboard/4-19-03/disc...

Why would you defend such a lowlife?
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#191991 Dec 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, man.
Youll sound funny saying that with your jaw wired shut. Don't forget to bring the cutting pliersd when you go out places. Oh I forgot, you cant. bwhahahaha

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#191992 Dec 13, 2013
<quoted text>
What is your claim? That America's success is in some way due to the belief that rights come from a god or the Christian god rather than from a king or a group of self-governing people? If so,can you explain how that would be possible?
And if not, just what is your claim for religion, Christianity, god belief or anything else in that department? Do you claim that we owe a debt to any of those, or that we could not have accomplished exactly the same thing without such an idea? In other words, how does the idea that rights might be related to the supernatural or the belief in same matter at all? In what palpable, demonstrable sense can you assert that such words aren't meaningless?
I'm pretty sure that I already know the answer: none.
Meaningless?

Those words allowed you to be free, and accomplish everything you have ever done.

If you had been born in various countries without those words, you would understand the "discernible difference". Some of us understand it even here.

Dave's personal animus against Reagan overtook his rational mind. With you, it's religion.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#191993 Dec 13, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It was, at one time.
Almost all of America was at one time.
Would you like a history lesson?
America has never been a part of Europe.

Nor Asia, nor Antarctica.

“Be strong ...”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#191994 Dec 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Mustangs would drive a bit better if the standard tyres weren't so high profile over there. I guess there are a lot of storm drains and big nasty kerbs to negotiate, but even so. And then there is the crashy steering. You feel every bump through the column, yet it feels pretty dead.
Now that's quite an accomplishment.
<quoted text>
The big Chrysler stuff you see a lot of now are just as bad, great bling value but wallowy while harsh

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#191995 Dec 13, 2013
<quoted text>
My pleasure. And kudos for bothering to do so.
Would you agree that hanging out with us "liberal elites" and reading what we have to say has been of some value to you?
I suspect that before Topix, which brings an unusual mix of people together, that you weren't exposed to a lot of things that you have found interesting and useful. The same applies for me with regard to prolonged and in depth exposure to the faithful.
I suggest that we work to make the word "affluenza" the word of the year for the coming year.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/12/health/affluenz...

Westcliffe, CO

#191997 Dec 13, 2013

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#191998 Dec 13, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a useful fiction.
I'd rather live in a nation where the citizens know that rights are imaginary constructs only as real as the power of the government that provides them.
The government doesn't "provide" rights. That's the whole point.

The government is to secure certain rights from being usurped - rights provided by other sources.

And you have no idea whether the concept of inherent rights by virtue of supernatural creation is fiction.

Your post, however, is fiction.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#191999 Dec 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Mustangs would drive a bit better if the standard tyres weren't so high profile over there. I guess there are a lot of storm drains and big nasty kerbs to negotiate, but even so. And then there is the crashy steering. You feel every bump through the column, yet it feels pretty dead.
Now that's quite an accomplishment.
<quoted text>
I started an off-frame restoration of a '69 fastback.

Then realized they have no frame.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192000 Dec 13, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest that we work to make the word "affluenza" the word of the year for the coming year.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/12/health/affluenz...
I think you are effluent.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192001 Dec 13, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

... great bling value but wallowy while harsh
That's the nicest thing you ever said about me.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192003 Dec 13, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>

What a smart man he was.
Thanks, man.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192004 Dec 13, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, there's also the fact - yes, fact - that there is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any god ever existed.
Never been any proof?

Could I see your documentation on that, starting with time = 0?

PDF form will be fine.

Thanks, RustTank.

Westcliffe, CO

#192005 Dec 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Meaningless?
Those words allowed you to be free, and accomplish everything you have ever done.
If you had been born in various countries without those words, you would understand the "discernible difference". Some of us understand it even here.
Dave's personal animus against Reagan overtook his rational mind. With you, it's religion.
sigh...

Buck, turn your eyes to the side and quit being mesmerized. Reagan is a false god. He was even a false human being.

He was a projection on the wall others created for you to worship.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#192006 Dec 13, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

Perhaps the universal flow of info will cause a raccoon to pass by you and relieve itself upon you, thus adding nutrients to grow and your subsequent ability to interface with it.
:-)
Racoon piss can do that?

One time Daddy, me, and Fountain were loading some hogs for market. Daddy was too cheap to get a loading shoot, so we had to lift them.

I had the front of a big sow, and daddy had the back legs. A leg slipped out of his hand, and the hog's foot went right down the front of his pants.

Then the squealing beast started shitting projectile type, runny shit.

Daddy had his pants full of hog shit in a couple of seconds.

He flew into cussin'. Fountain and me got on the ground and laughed like hyenas.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#192007 Dec 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are effluent.
Awww, buck.

That's so sweet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Into The Night 94,159
News Egyptian Parliament considers outlawing atheism 3 hr Guest 6
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing (Oct '17) Sun blacklagoon 3 138
Stephen Hawking, now a believer May 8 superwilly 20
The atheists trick May 8 Eagle 12 - 3
News The Anti-Christian Movement May 7 blacklagoon 3 25
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) May 5 Eagle 12 - 5,971