Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258461 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#191736 Dec 12, 2013
Misfits is done, then. What did you reckon to the finale?
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I like Hillary's 'stache better. It makes her look like a young Eric Idle.
http://www.drulie.com/jokes/Hillary_files/Hil...
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#191737 Dec 12, 2013
He hasn't seen that head in years.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Not tried that yet, you want to volunteer?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#191738 Dec 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
There were children inside. Bright lights, loud noises, men with guns and tanks, and scared parents inside.
I hope they were praying. It was faith that got them there, and faith that kept them there.
Dave Nelson wrote:
The government instigated that action, not the Davidians.
Nope.

The militant religious cult that stockpiled arms did.

Those people made nothing but bad choices, the first bad choice being to join a cult, the next bad choice being to remain when it was amassing arms, the next bad choice being to initiate or return fire on February 28, 1993, and the last bad choice being the refusal to stand down or release their children for 51 days.

Sorry, but whatever blame law enforcement deserves, it is doesn't mitigate the illegality of what those Christians did, nor their incredibly bad parenting. If my wife had been in there with my kids, I would have blamed her for not releasing the children, however angry I was at the government. Your insistence on giving the Christians a pass because they are Christians is what makes the rest of your take on this meaningless to me.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#191739 Dec 12, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
There some nice christian talk, and you bad mould blacklagoon and me
You hypocritical moron
Bad mould?

Like the toxic kind?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#191740 Dec 12, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for you professional opinion, Rain Man.
<quoted text>
Tell me more about the real world from the perspective of a shut and loner who only goes out to buy cigarettes.
<quoted text>
Dude. Whats that shiny thing with the barb piercing your mouth and cheek?
<quoted text>
You are clueless beyond belief.
There is no muscle protecting me where I live, nor do I need any. I don't live in a gun infested culture - unless you count the cartels and their American weapons, who pose no threat to us. You, on the other hand, live close to Littleton and Aurora, so perhaps its best that you do stay indoors.
By the way, how comforting to see you so quick to embrace totalitarianism and strong arm tactics - except,of course, when turned on Christian lunatics armed to the teeth.
The "muscle" is the government and its enforcers.

Pitiful as it is, I will guarantee that if you didn't have the Mexican Federales protecting your impotent ass there you would be scrounging up whatever you could to hire Yul Brynner, Steve Mcqueen, and crew.

American muscle of that sort is stronger.

Lose your check and the Federales and the locals would have no use for your tired Yanqui ass.

You are a long ways from home if the system crumbles a bit. A very long ways.

But keep the faith.

Fennario

#191741 Dec 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
I'm not a burden, IANS.
The article says you are.

Fennario

#191743 Dec 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Social Security is being a financial burden?
Your conservative buddies seem to think so.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#191744 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text>
I hope they were praying. It was faith that got them there, and faith that kept them there.
<quoted text>
Nope.
Those people made nothing but bad choices, the first bad choice being to join a cult, the next bad choice being to remain when it was amassing arms, the next bad choice being to initiate or return fire on February 28, 1993, and the last bad choice being the refusal to stand down or release their children for 51 days.
Sorry, but whatever blame law enforcement deserves, it is doesn't mitigate the illegality of what those Christians did, nor their incredibly bad parenting. If my wife had been in there with my kids, I would have blamed her for not releasing the children, however angry I was at the government. Your insistence on giving the Christians a pass because they are Christians is what makes the rest of your take on this meaningless to me.
The Christians did it!

Shoot the Christians!

They're just religious nuts anyway, right?

Westcliffe, CO

#191745 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Nope.
Like I said before, remember that when they bust you for possession. Or violating some law down there you didn't know existed. Which will of course incur considerable expense on your part. About as much as they can squeeze out of you.

Westcliffe, CO

#191746 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text>
The article says you are.
Does not.

Those under treatment paid for by the government are. I am in no statistical database for such.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#191747 Dec 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
OCB wrote: I wouldn't let a dog P*SS on you if you were on fire.
<quoted text>
I think she just threatened you.
On the Internet.
That's illegal, you know.
Are you this dumb? HOW did I threaten Buck by saying I wouldn't let a dog piss on him if he was on fire?

And not MY problem you're as stupid as Buck is- YES- threatening people over the internet with bodily injury or harm IS against the law- you know, one of those laws which have NOTHING to do with any god or with the bible or with Christianity, which is EVERY single law in the USA- a country YOU obviously despise due to it being SECULAR.

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#191748 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That could be construed as an insult.
As it should have been.

And no...insulting people over the internet is not a crime; threatening them is.

Do try to learn the difference between an INSULT and a THREAT.

My GOD!!! How do you people manage to walk and chew gum at the same time??

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#191749 Dec 12, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Right.
Because Jesus called everyone he didn't agree with a "fuckingloser"
You *are* a fake "christian".
Sad.
RR is barely even a *fake* Christian since he does such a P*SS poor job of PRETENDING to be Christian.

Nah- RR is not ANY kind of Christian; RR is not a Christian at all.

He's a SH*T machine who wastes no time in sh*tting all over his Jesus every single day.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#191750 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to be more specific.
From the known facts, RR could have been charged with felony assault with a deadly weapon.

Cal. Penal Code sec. 245, subd.(a)1).

Fennario

#191751 Dec 12, 2013
armed to the teeth, entrenched in compounds, resisting a lawful order to stand down while babbling incoherently about the end of the world,...
Buck Crick wrote:
They had fewer guns per capita than the population of Texas.
You said that being convincing wasn't your goal - that you would leave others who needed to know to do their own researching. That's not me. I'll file claim in the bin of things Buck believes that may or may not be true.

But even if true, is that your standard for a reasonable number of guns per person - Texas? That could be fewer guns than the Texas National Guard has per head.

Moving on, how about the other munitions? This is from the link I provided earlier:

"As the government told the story in retrospect, its attention was drawn to the Branch Davidians near Waco in May 1992, when a driver for United Parcel Service reported that a carton for delivery to Mt. Carmel had broken open to reveal a shipment of (inert) hand grenades. The incident was reported to the Waco sheriff's office, which notified the office of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms in Austin. An agent named Davey Aguilera was assigned to investigate, and by tracing UPS invoices he compiled a list of $43,000 worth of guns, gun parts, gun kits, grenade hulls, black powder, chemicals, fuses, and ammunition."

Fennario

#191752 Dec 12, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The "compound" was their home. They were not "entrenched" until they were attacked with deadly force. Furthermore, the excuse given for the tanks crashing in and shooting CS gas and opeining up with automatic weapons fire into the building was not weapons. It was that children were being abused, which turned out to be a lie.

It sounds a lot different when described accurately, huh?
You downplayed their weapon situation and left out the apocalyptic ranting, but otherwise, it sounds about the same:'an armed cult entrenched after a shootout with law enforcement in a compound that they lived in where they were thought to be abusing children' instead of 'an armed cult entrenched in a compound.'

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#191753 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text>
Disagree. The White House was Clinton's home that year. I don't know if that includes the Oral Office (sic) or not, but if not, I suggest that we people have all rooms of the White House that are NOT considered residential monitored by us people. I'll bet presidents even jerk off in our bathrooms.
<quoted text>
I'm less than convinced that you care about presidents violating federal statutes than you are about impugning Democratic presidents.
It's our house. They were tenants.

Hey, Iman.

CNBC just reported that for 2010, the top 40% of income earners paid 106% of all federal income taxes.

The lower 40% paid -6%.(negative 6%)

This is because the bottom 40 received more in federal tax credits than they paid in.

Those wealthy people get all the breaks, huh?

Bwahahahaahahaaaaa....

Fennario

#191754 Dec 12, 2013
Does that have any bearing on your response to my comment that, "the Constitution is dying" that called that "your side's doing - liberals. Liberals have been on a relentless campaign to kill the Constitution for nearly a hundred years"? Are we calling Bush a liberal here?
Buck Crick wrote:
Yes, I'm comfortable calling Bush a liberal on domestic security issues.
We weren't talking about domestic security issues. We were talking about who was the enemy of the Constitution.

But now that you have defined liberal, then yes, you can blame the demise of the Constitution on liberals like Bush, Cheney, and Rove.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#191755 Dec 12, 2013
<quoted text>
As I suspect that you'd agree, there's a relationship between excessive prison sentencing and the privatization of corrections. How many of the conservatives posting here fell right into step with the corporatists (again) when we discussed this recently? Dave, who was telling us how his neighborhood depends on a private prison (or something like that) was one, and Riverside Redneck another if memory serves.
This is a collection of YouTube videos about the matter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =r9UX-bvQfb8XX&list=PL3-O2 b7cJ2x4z1w6DieQn31nlQrHWtYl_ &index=1
Couple that with your Les Miserableque tale of 27 year sentences for "extorting" $1.50, Riverside Redneck and Rider on the Storm's condemnation of you for 'putting criminals back on the streets' < http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... and the following link >, Albuquerque Davy's several links on storm troopers in the cities < http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... >, Dave's, Aura's and Aerobatty's nice discussion of how inadequate minimum wage offset against Riverside Redneckworrying about the price of his burgers, Dave's class envy piece about San Francisco < http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/tech/innovation... >, Riverside Redneck's plaint, "How about the goddamned government just stick to the military and police and let the civilians handle their own business. THAT'S the governments job, not taking care of everybody. " < http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... > - all within the last 16 hours - I've got to say, that's a pretty grim picture.
It wasn't long ago that I was often castigated in these threads for wanting to take myself and my wife away all from of that. That's become very rare in the last two years. Now Buck wants to join me, and a few others have voiced an interest in moving on.
Why? It's becoming clearer that America is not the country we were born into, and I'd say with it's present (and in my opinion, permanent) entrenched power structure changing the rules to suit itself, it is no longer our friend and never will be again in our lifetimes.
How sad is that? As I said earlier, it's the saddest truth of my life. As I also said, we each carry a mental map by which we chart our life's course to the extent that it is under our control. Rational skepticism requires that we continually notice and assess evidence. Intelligence is the ability to discern and respond to environmental factors optimally, and adapt when appropriate - rechart sections of the map as it were.
And for our conservative friends, that includes recognizing when you have been wrong - when you have unwittingly trusted an enemy - and making it right. The alternative is to "keep the faith," a phrase suggesting that rigid adherence to old ideas once assimilated unexamined is best.
I fully understand your sentiments, and share most of them.

And when I retire, I am considering several places outside the U.S. as a "base of operations".

But I'm still fighting for what I consider to be worth the battles.

Fennario

#191756 Dec 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Good old-fashioned Christian laws.
They're not Christian laws unless Christians invented them. And they shouldn't be the law if only Christians care about them.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
One of those is thou shalt not steal.
Christians - erm -'borrowed' that one from the Jews.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 11 min Trumpler 499
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 14 min Trumpler 52,204
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 16 min Trumpler 11,448
News Fox Friends Outraged Over Atheists 'Making Chri... 30 min Fundies R Mentall... 219
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 36 min par five 24,888
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 1 hr Richardfs 5,813
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 166
More from around the web