Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258047 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#191571 Dec 11, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup
I stand corrected.
Minimum wage today is worth $5.22 an hour.
Actually it's $7.75.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#191572 Dec 11, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it's $7.75.
$7.25 I believe.

In 1965 it was $1.25.

You got gas for 25 cents. You got cigarettes out of a machine for 30 35 cents. Road tolls were 10 to 25 cents. You could get a decent enough apartment for $40.

Back then 1/4 of your wages was supposed to cover your rent and utilities.

Let's see, gas has gone up 12 times, at least, that much? Cigarettes even more.

The wage went up 5.8 times. Doesn't even cover the increase in cigarette taxes. Or a whole bunch of other increases.

The minimum wage started in 1938. At 25 cents an hour. Imagine the cost of living increase since then.

The minimum wage is no where near where it should be.

Westcliffe, CO

#191573 Dec 11, 2013
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/tech/innovation...

The class divide.

The funny thing is how fast those techies can be jobless.

They are grossly overpaid.

“e pluribus unum”

primus inter pares

#191574 Dec 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
$7.25 I believe.
In 1965 it was $1.25.
You got gas for 25 cents. You got cigarettes out of a machine for 30 35 cents. Road tolls were 10 to 25 cents. You could get a decent enough apartment for $40.
Back then 1/4 of your wages was supposed to cover your rent and utilities.
Let's see, gas has gone up 12 times, at least, that much? Cigarettes even more.
The wage went up 5.8 times. Doesn't even cover the increase in cigarette taxes. Or a whole bunch of other increases.
The minimum wage started in 1938. At 25 cents an hour. Imagine the cost of living increase since then.
The minimum wage is no where near where it should be.

It never was and never will be.
But only menial or unskilled labor earns this starting grade pay.
You can't expect it to pay 20.00 an hour to flip burgers, unless people want to pay 10.00 for a hamburger or 15.00 lunches.

Westcliffe, CO

#191575 Dec 11, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't expect it to pay 20.00 an hour to flip burgers, unless people want to pay 10.00 for a hamburger or 15.00 lunches.
Aura, it was entry level in 1965. And yes, you could live on it. Not real well, but you could.

You didn't have mandatory auto insurance unless you an accident you were charged with. I seem to remember when that mandatory started in Florida it was about $300 a year for that age group.

All of the necessities have grown much more exponentially than the wage. An awful lot from parasitism of government. Taxes, litigation, and mandatory insurance, which now includes Obamacare, and illegal immigration has killed the balance that used to exist.

American kids can't even get those entry level jobs nowadays and live at home to survive.

Lots of American kids are forced into taking college loans just to survive. That and drug dealing.

There are a lot of things wrong.

Westcliffe, CO

#191576 Dec 11, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yeah.

We have a right to cheap hamburgers, don't we?

They weren't so cheap relative to salaries back then before MacDonalds and BK.

You also don't get the same quality of those two as when they first came out. The BK Whopper, and especially that Yumbo they had, went for 59 cents, which was quite a deal because they were bigger and better quality. I loved those Yumbos. Ham and Swiss as big as a Whopper.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#191577 Dec 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
More than $2500?!
Is that your generosity ebbing?
Hey look.

It's Mr. Free Market.

What's 27 years worth to you?

Redondo Beach, CA

#191578 Dec 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup.
Because keeping criminals on the street is the moral thing to do.
So long as you get paid.
Nice.
Says the guy who committed a felony.

Redondo Beach, CA

#191579 Dec 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's that same kinda bastard that stole my truck and tools.
And it's the same kinda bastard lawyer that fights to keep the criminal free.
Fuckinglosers.
One more guy who prefers the North Korean system of justice.

Redondo Beach, CA

#191580 Dec 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Fuckinglosers.
Oh, and by the way: Six.

“e pluribus unum”

primus inter pares

#191582 Dec 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Aura, it was entry level in 1965. And yes, you could live on it. Not real well, but you could.
You didn't have mandatory auto insurance unless you an accident you were charged with. I seem to remember when that mandatory started in Florida it was about $300 a year for that age group.
All of the necessities have grown much more exponentially than the wage. An awful lot from parasitism of government. Taxes, litigation, and mandatory insurance, which now includes Obamacare, and illegal immigration has killed the balance that used to exist.
American kids can't even get those entry level jobs nowadays and live at home to survive.
Lots of American kids are forced into taking college loans just to survive. That and drug dealing.
There are a lot of things wrong.
You never could support a house on minimum wage, at least not without roommates. I never made less than double the minimum wage after I left my parents home, and still couldn't hardly afford all the bills by myself.

Westcliffe, CO

#191583 Dec 11, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey look.
It's Mr. Free Market.
What's 27 years worth to you?
You display an exceptional talent at being a jerk.

You must have applied yourself very diligently in those 27 years to develop that level of expertise you display in doing so.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#191584 Dec 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Fuckinglosers.
Everyone bashes the lawyer until they NEED one, then they become like your mythical angels from that non-existent heaven place, you're so very glad they are on your side, what a f--king hypocrite!!!!!!
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#191585 Dec 11, 2013
Wrong again republicunt.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/08/...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/aiyana-stanley-jo...

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/police-shootin...

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/17/nyregion/wo...

With a side of Vince foster crazy thrown in.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if all of that were true, we don't hand out the unlitigated death penalty for such things.
We also don't use military assets, including tanks, to assault citizens. And we especially don't kill them when they are posing no threat.
That's a violation of federal law, not to mention reckless and indifferent to human life.
We also cannot ignore the government's role in setting the wheels in motion. A bunch of macho agents wanted to play cowboy, and thought it would be a good PR show for funding considerations.
Once agents died, it got personal and emotional with them.
They, Janet Reno, and Bill Clinton murdered those people. That's the rational conclusion that can be drawn.
And that's why Vince Foster put his pistol in his mouth.

Westcliffe, CO

#191587 Dec 11, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You never could support a house on minimum wage, at least not without roommates. I never made less than double the minimum wage after I left my parents home, and still couldn't hardly afford all the bills by myself.
I didn't say you could do a house, but you could find apartments. A lot depended on where you lived. I'm not saying it was easy, but your dollar did go farther back then because you didn't have all of those taxes and mandatory purchases like insurance. You get nothing from those. You could get started back then. If you had a job minimum wage didn't last all that long, you always got a raise fairly soon.

One other thing about back then that makes a big difference. You didn't have the same toys to buy. Cell phones, games, and all of that didn't exist. You used a pay phone. Messages still got around.

Westcliffe, CO

#191588 Dec 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone bashes the lawyer until they NEED one, then they become like your mythical angels from that non-existent heaven place, you're so very glad they are on your side, what a f--king hypocrite!!!!!!
Lawyers are what made you need one, dumb ass. They wrote the fucking laws.

You won't understand the significance of that.

Oh, they can come in handy, but you wouldn't need them so much if they didn't make work for themselves. The price of everything is mucho higher because of their cut of the action.

Redondo Beach, CA

#191589 Dec 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You display an exceptional talent at being a jerk.
You must have applied yourself very diligently in those 27 years to develop that level of expertise you display in doing so.
My client (Sloppy) was sentenced to 27 years.

For asking the guy for $1.50 to return the bucket of tools.

Extortion, with a gang enhancement.

In my view (not shared by all), that's a violation of the 8th Amendment.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#191590 Dec 11, 2013
So you buy your coke with food stamps? Maybe that is how you pay male prostitutes?
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Dope dealers driving Mercedes spend lots of food stamsps.
They have no "reported income", since their dope business is in cash. So they qualify for your tax money.
Don't ask me how I know this.

Redondo Beach, CA

#191591 Dec 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Lawyers are what made you need one, dumb ass. They wrote the fucking laws.
You won't understand the significance of that.
Oh, they can come in handy, but you wouldn't need them so much if they didn't make work for themselves. The price of everything is mucho higher because of their cut of the action.
I'm not making work for myself.

Right now I'm having a glass of rose while watching Magic Moments--recording artists of the 1950s reuniting to perform. It's a PBS fundraiser. And reading the L.A. Times.

“e pluribus unum”

primus inter pares

#191592 Dec 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say you could do a house, but you could find apartments. A lot depended on where you lived. I'm not saying it was easy, but your dollar did go farther back then because you didn't have all of those taxes and mandatory purchases like insurance. You get nothing from those. You could get started back then. If you had a job minimum wage didn't last all that long, you always got a raise fairly soon.
One other thing about back then that makes a big difference. You didn't have the same toys to buy. Cell phones, games, and all of that didn't exist. You used a pay phone. Messages still got around.
Yes inflation has made everything more expensive, but I don't think you could support any kind of dwelling on minimum wage alone.
Especially now but not even 20 years ago, without starving half the time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 11 min IB DaMann 94
bigger fish to fry (Jul '11) 2 hr Suspicious Packag... 2
What are the best arguments against religion? 2 hr Richardfs 8
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 5 hr Richardfs 5,721
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr Brian_G 23,592
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 hr scientia potentia... 48,864
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 13 hr Mintz4004 21,889
More from around the web