Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#190959 Dec 9, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>No, I got the reality of economics way before Rand Paul.

He is right on most things, however.

You can't dispute that.

So now you will insult his hair, or employ some likewise insipid tactic.
I can't dispute that?

Shit. I thought I could.

And, yeah. He's either cursed with bad hair or bad taste.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#190960 Dec 9, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>No, you like greed.

You like it when it benefits you; despise it for benefiting others.
Oh.

I didn't know that.

Thank you.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#190961 Dec 9, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's reasonable.
There's is no argument that the owners deserve more than the workers. The owners bring the ideas, the financing, and the organizational skills to the table, plus assume the risks, whereas the worker generally just shows up and collects a check.
The question, though, is what is the relative worth of these two, and whether a government should intervene to reapportion the natural apportioning, which always ends up with ownership keeping everything but whatever minimum is necessary to keep the worker coming back, meaning poverty wages. That's how it was in the Middle Ages, in Victorian England, the Appalachian coal mines, and the cotton plantations in the American South.
If you want a safe and happy middle class, you have to build it with progressivism. You have to compel the owners to give their employees safe working conditions, reasonable hours, vacations, weekends, and more pay and benefits than they could acquire without help. I agree that the unions are a problem, and that means that the help must come from the government.
If you remove these safeguards - deregulation - and others such as disability insurance and unemployment insurance, you will see your middle class quickly return to a peasant class. It cannot sustain itself without progressive policies.
And of course the owners don't give a crap about any of that, which is why they spend money conditioning much of the public to defend their interests, to despise government intervention, to worry about the owner's profits (RR doesn't want them to be taxed at all), and to see the lowest wage workers as despicable people with their hands out that deserve no more than what the owners would toss them.
How do you feel about raising the minimum wage?
I worked for almost minimum wage. I worked for a while at Starbucks. It was mind-numbingly easy and tedious. I was very good at it. I had a loyal following. Let's face it, you can get coffee anywhere but where can you get served and at the same time berated by a razor tongued barista? I got fired for calling one of my customers a fuckweasel. I said, "But he likes that and expects it from me." Deaf ears.

I don't know the answer, IANS. Should a high school student on summer break be paid as much as a single mother of two? The minimum wage proponents say they should be paid the same.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#190962 Dec 9, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. there it is ..
.. why do people need silly laws to regulate industry? Surely we can trust Pfizer, McDonald's and Halliburton to do the right thing. I mean, we've got their word that they won't shaft the public, right? Isn't that good enough? After all, they're providing jobs ..
.. most everyone knows financial advisers, insurance companies, banks and mortgage brokers totally screwed the market with derivatives and swaps after the crash of 2008. But, Big Biz learnt their lesson, right? And, they'll never ever do it again so there's no need for regulation ..
.. I need to go shopping for some scarves made in China by kids ..
Pick me up some Kung Pao while you're there.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#190963 Dec 9, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I despise greed.
Greed is degenerate; a perversion.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#190964 Dec 9, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>.. my lawn lady learned how to play the game and does rely on herself. She knows when to visit the food bank, how to retain government benefits and is a pro at working under the table. Much like Big Biz, she takes advantage of all the loopholes. She'll pass this knowledge down to another $7.25 @ hour minimum wage worker ..

.. Buck, in an ideal world, everything you suggest is good but, right now, it's all a shell game. With 'Quantitative Easing' the banks borrow $85 BILLION @ month in Monopoly money and dole it out to my lawn lady, social security recipients, Medicare providers and Big Biz ..

.. Henry Ford wanted loyal, hard-working employees so he increased salaries. It paid off ..

.. when employers fail to offer a living wage, people like my lawnmower lady will continue to opt out of a system that is morally bankrupt ..
And will have no loyalty.

And will only do what's absolutely required of them. No more.

And will jump ship in a heartbeat for a better offer, even if it's only slightly better.

And when they do have a little more money than it takes just to have a roof over their heads and halfway decent food on the table, they will spend it growing the economy. Not putting it in offshore tax shelters or spoiling their teenage children.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#190966 Dec 9, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Only because Kennedy tried to get the nomination.
Carter was and is a liberal.
Like all liberals, when running for office, he lied about his liberalism. Remember Obama saying Bush's deficits were unpatriotic?
Carter supported the Equal Rights Amendment -liberal
Carter wanted Guantanomo closed, calling it an embarrassment to America - liberal
Carter criticized Bush's anti-communism, and his reference to the USSR as an axis of evil - liberal
Carter attributed delays in aid after Hurricane Katrina to racism on Bush's part - liberal (and stupid)
Carter favored official negotiation with terrorist regimes - liberal
Carter condemned Israel for bombing Lebanon - liberal
Carter said Christianity causes men to beat their wives - liberal.
Carter moved to federalize education - liberal
Carter created several new bureaucracies, including the department of energy - liberal
Carter's 2006 book caused 14 members of the Carter Center to resign over it's malicious attacks on Israel and misinformation he provided in the book - liberal
Carter, in 2009, attributed opposition to the policies of President Obama to racism - liberal
Aside from his claim of being attacked by a giant white rabbit, in 1969 Carter reported seeing a UFO.
Carter recalled, "A light appeared and disappeared in the sky ... I think the light was beckoning me to run in the California primary."
Hey, I must be a liberal too.

I agree with most of that stuff.

Not all of it, but most of it.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#190967 Dec 9, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong.

The accounts provided by Soviet insiders with Gorbachev settle this matter.

The missile deployments to Europe, Reagan's arms buildup, and finally, the straw that broke their backs - Reagan's refusal to assent on negotiations that would halt SDI at the Reagan/Gorbachev summit.

Andrei Gromyko, who served during the Reagan years as the USSR’s Minister of Foreign Affairs:

“Behind all this lies the clear calculation that the USSR will exhaust its material resources, and therefore will finally be forced to surrender".

Herb Meyer, Special Assistant to the Director of the CIA during the Reagan years, testified:

“The intelligence coming in the morning of March 24 – literally hours after the President’s SDI speech – was different from anything we’d seen before. The Soviet Union’s top military officials had understood instantly that President Reagan had found a way to win the Cold War.”
And now Al Qaeda is doing the same to us.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

With Established Harem

#190968 Dec 9, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your lawn lady's problems are not the fault of employers.
It is her fault, and the fault of the government, and the fault of voters for continuing to elect people who believe in wealth redistribution.
She is not relying on herself. She is relying on politicians taking from others what they earn, and giving some of it to her when she does not earn it.
Henry Ford did not have to compete against other car makers at that time, who were capable of making a competitive product and selling it cheaper by reducing their labor costs.
Also, Henry wasn't paying them. His customers were. And his customers would have been able to save money, money which would help the economy in other ways, if he had produced quality cars at a lower cost. Ford wasn't paying the difference, customers were.
Smart economics is when employers strike a balance between their costs and the quality of the product they turn out. The market is the best arbiter of that balance.
.. Ford raised salaries, period. His motives do not matter, his economic philosophy does. America entered a new era with increased productivity and discretionary spending ..

.. Ford's move was wealth redistribution in its finest hour. At the time, only the wealthy could afford cars; he changed that. If you want, call it the 'trickle down' affect ..

.. for me, it's not about conservative -vs- liberal, both sides have good points. Most people have forgotten how to help each other and expect government to take over where individual charity has left off. That's wrong because we lose our compassion ..

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#190969 Dec 9, 2013
<quoted text>
You should set it to music.
Once the conservatives are done with America, there won't be any need to go overseas for cheap labor.
It makes no sense that you fear or blame conservatives.

Conservatives haven't elected a president in 29 years, and during the last 6 years, liberals had the presidency and both houses of Congress, or the presidency and the Senate for the entire period.

In a country where Nancy Pelosi was Speaker of the House, and Harry Reid Senate President, and the guy with the most liberal voting record in the Senate elected president - twice - and you fear conservatism?

Demographically, conservatives have lost ground, and will continue to do so as democrats won't allow ID for democrat precincts to limit votes to the person voting, successfully portray conservatives as against birth control, and are busy trying to get Mexicans to vote in our elections.

The "conservative" Chief Justice of the Supreme Court spins Obamacare as a "tax", in order to get around its obvious unconstitutionality, ignoring that tax bills have to originate in the House, under Article I of the Constitution, and this one originated in the Senate?

Why would anyone fear conservatives?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#190970 Dec 9, 2013
<quoted text>I don't think that we should expect the CEOs and boards of directors to look after the interests of anybody but themselves and the stock holders. Those businesses exist to make profits, not to take care of America. They should be expected to find cheap labor overseas if it is profitable to do so.

Taking care of the people is the job of the government, which needs to regulate business in a way that guarantees that everybody lives well in a nation as wealthy as America.

But that ship has sailed. The corporations now control the government, which is currently being retasked to serving their interests at the expense of the general population. The outcome is predictable and inevitable: the rich will get much richer, and the affluent middle class will melt down to a nation of struggling families. In my opinion, nobody is in a position to stop that.

Nor does there even seem to be the will to do so. Our conservatives posting here are typical for about half of the nation. They want exactly what ownership wants, including government deregulation, suppression of minimum wage and collective bargaining, and the ability to accumulate kings' fortunes without taxation.

Sorry to be a downer, but where is the hope there? If the government and both parties are in the hands of the corporations meaning that it is free to ignore public opinion, and if the corporations have sufficient control of the media to condition much of the public to support their agenda anyway, how can you get it back?
Sad, isn't it?

So much wasted potential.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

With Established Harem

#190971 Dec 9, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
She has skills, she maintains your lawn and sprinklers. And she probably has dozens of clients, no?
It is her fault that that's her only skills.
What has she done to progress her life and learn new skills?
I guarantee you if there weren't gub'ment handouts, her skill set would be much higher.
.. how do I say this? My lawn lady isn't the brightest candle? She's learnt how to handle a mower, how to fix a sprinkler system and how to manipulate the bureaucracy ..

.. she could never be an engineer, attorney or even a nurse. Her options are limited to entry level jobs that pay minimum wage ..

.. you're suggesting she return to school, learn a new skill, right? How can she do that when her learning ability is limited ??..

P.S. Please don't call me an elitist. Today's high-paying jobs require advanced specialized training. My lawn lady is incapable of grasping such an education. That's reality.

Location hidden

#190972 Dec 9, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. there it is ..
.. why do people need silly laws to regulate industry? Surely we can trust Pfizer, McDonald's and Halliburton to do the right thing. I mean, we've got their word that they won't shaft the public, right? Isn't that good enough? After all, they're providing jobs ..
.. most everyone knows financial advisers, insurance companies, banks and mortgage brokers totally screwed the market with derivatives and swaps after the crash of 2008. But, Big Biz learnt their lesson, right? And, they'll never ever do it again so there's no need for regulation ..
.. I need to go shopping for some scarves made in China by kids ..
McDonalds main incentive to not screw the public is the market.

The financial crisis of 2008 was mostly caused by government liberals.

Led by Barney Frank, they imposed what were called "affordable housing" requirements on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in 1992. Before that time, these had been required to buy only mortgages that institutional investors would buy--in other words, prime mortgages--but Frank and others thought these standards made it too difficult for low income borrowers to buy homes. The affordable housing law required Fannie and Freddie to meet government quotas when they bought loans from banks and other mortgage originators.

At first, this quota was 30%; that is, of all the loans they bought, 30% had to be made to people at or below the median income in their communities. HUD, however, was given authority to administer these quotas, and between 1992 and 2007, the quotas were raised from 30% to 50% under Clinton in 2000 and to 55% under Bush in 2007.

The government created the demand for these weak loans; less than 30%(7.8 million) were held or distributed by the banks. When these mortgages failed in unprecedented numbers in 2008, driving down housing prices throughout the U.S., they weakened all financial institutions and caused the financial crisis.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#190973 Dec 9, 2013
<quoted text>

<quoted text>
No wonder Buck admires your mind. We're all quite proud of you.
Thanks man

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190974 Dec 9, 2013
River Tam wrote:
I worked for almost minimum wage. I worked for a while at Starbucks. It was mind-numbingly easy and tedious. I was very good at it. I had a loyal following. Let's face it, you can get coffee anywhere but where can you get served and at the same time berated by a razor tongued barista? I got fired for calling one of my customers a fuckweasel. I said, "But he likes that and expects it from me." Deaf ears.
I don't know the answer, IANS. Should a high school student on summer break be paid as much as a single mother of two? The minimum wage proponents say they should be paid the same.
If the high school student and the mother are doing the same job, then they should get the same pay.

Or how about this? What if the mother wasn't single? Should she get paid less than the single mother?

That's all crazy. The same job gets the same pay.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190975 Dec 9, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Greed is degenerate; a perversion.
Oh ya?

Then I suppose you don't charge your clients and tenants more than your operating costs, right?

Of course you do. You need your fancy cars.

Then brag about them.

Location hidden

#190976 Dec 9, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. Ford raised salaries, period. His motives do not matter, his economic philosophy does. America entered a new era with increased productivity and discretionary spending ..
.. Ford's move was wealth redistribution in its finest hour. At the time, only the wealthy could afford cars; he changed that. If you want, call it the 'trickle down' affect ..
.. for me, it's not about conservative -vs- liberal, both sides have good points. Most people have forgotten how to help each other and expect government to take over where individual charity has left off. That's wrong because we lose our compassion ..
I don't care about Ford's motives. What I pointed out was the environment - he had a monopoly product.

If he tried the same thing now, he would go broke in short order.

It wasn't wealth redistribution. This is when a third party takes wealth by force from the owners, and gives it to others out of a perverse conception of social justice.

The relationship of Ford and his customers was one of individual self interest. They wanted a car more than they wanted the money represented by the price of the car. It was a voluntary exchange.

That's private enterprise. It is good.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190977 Dec 9, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. how do I say this? My lawn lady isn't the brightest candle? She's learnt how to handle a mower, how to fix a sprinkler system and how to manipulate the bureaucracy ..
.. she could never be an engineer, attorney or even a nurse. Her options are limited to entry level jobs that pay minimum wage ..
.. you're suggesting she return to school, learn a new skill, right? How can she do that when her learning ability is limited ??..
P.S. Please don't call me an elitist. Today's high-paying jobs require advanced specialized training. My lawn lady is incapable of grasping such an education. That's reality.
Wow. I don't really know how to respond to that.

Is she retarded? I'd guess not.

She's learned how to operate lawn equipment, conduct business, advertise or market in some way, drive, AND manipulate the system. She's not stupid, she's playing it off.

It doesn't take rocket science to, say, drive a truck. She'd make a helluva lot more cash being a truck driver than a gardener.

She's chosen the easy path and in doing so has subjected herself to a meager existence dependent on the gub'ment.

In my opinion, a person like that has no right to state or federal aid. She is fully capable of caring for herself, she does not need aid.

That's taxpayer dollars being wasted on handouts.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#190978 Dec 9, 2013
If Buck doesn't know SDI and Star Wars were interchangeable terms in this context, then his Reagan polemics will be horseshit too.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only a film but a series of scientific projects and initiatives on both sides of the iron curtain.
The Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) was proposed by U.S. President Ronald Reagan on March 23, 1983,[1] to use ground-based and space-based systems to protect the United States from attack by strategic nuclear ballistic missiles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Defens...
The projects were dubbed Star wars by the media.
That's the fact, you are capable of learning facts

Location hidden

#190979 Dec 9, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I must be a liberal too.
I agree with most of that stuff.
Not all of it, but most of it.
You are a liberal. We already knew.

Have you ever had a UFO tell you to run for office?

Been attacked by a giant white rabbit on a lake?

The media didn't ridicule this. They ridiculed W. saying he talks to God.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr pearl 4,823
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 4 hr One way or another 16,727
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 hr Patrick n Angela 6,035
Richard Dawkins - God is evil, pedophilesa not ... (Sep '13) 5 hr Patrick n Angela 3,037
The Consequences of Atheism 6 hr polymath257 772
Is Religion Childish? 14 hr Thinking 142
.com | Why is Atheism on the Rise - Final Response Sun thetruth 6
More from around the web