Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256125 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#190997 Dec 9, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. just one question ..
.. who profited ??..
The homeowners were suppose to be the big winners. Alot of them lost their investments.

Barney and the boys got financial support from Big bankers and ins. Co's. Bankers got their hands slapped and were made fun of in front congressional panels.

So what did they do they made new laws, which before they were passed said did not go far enough and would not prevent this from happening again, and we've already seen examples of that.

We should ALL be pissed and not just at Dems or Cons but all of them and demand better.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#190998 Dec 9, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Aura is right. Unions are the biggest detriment to a stable economy. They were needed at one point in time but they've served their purpose and they're now out of control. They're now just another political arm. They have to feed the machine. They are a hindrance to employment. They bit the hand that fed them one too many times and that led to outsourcing.
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." ~ John Dalberg-Acton
You're right, they helped and destroyed Detroit.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#190999 Dec 9, 2013
There was one aspect of the Reagan years that really got to me back then, being one each standard chivalrous male with an ingrained cultural imperative that women were to be protected.

The amount of homeless women that started showing up in Miami. Sleeping on bus benches. Wandering around with their bags. Especially the older ones.

WTF!!

You had your winos and bums, but this was something that never ever should have happened. These women weren't drunks and winos. They were mental cases, they were poor, they hit bad times, they were powerless. It was totally unAmerican and unChristian. It violated every civilized concept. Reagan's policies chunked them out on the street, literally. No nets, no guidance. Goodbye.

That revealed a lot about Reagan.

In addition, those were the cocaine cowboy days. All up and comers were coke heads. You couldn't touch a used $20 bill in Miami that didn't have coke residue on it. That was a fact. Drug money fueled the economy. It provided much of the wealth for the economic upswing that was claimed.

Reagan is really a poor icon.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#191000 Dec 9, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try, Dave.
Did you forget who you are talking to?
Here is the trick in the statistics you cited.
You expressed tax revenue as a percentage of GDP. But Reagan's economic policy caused a HUGE GROWTH IN GDP. The economy grew like gangbusters, and it continued as a result of his policies through the Clinton administration.
In net revenue, cutting taxes caused an INCREASE in revenue.
The increase in debt was caused by spending, not tax policy. That spending was the result of a democrat house pushing it up, and reniguing on their promise to Reagan of cutting spending. The military spending that destroyed the Soviet Union and liberated Eastern Europe also contributed, and it was a bargain.
So with tax revenue increasing, it is a lie to say that Reagan's tax policy caused the deficit or debt to increase, even though we hear it repeated all the time.
It's impossible. Revenue went up.
You are not very alert to liberal propaganda, and I conclude it is because you want to believe it. You apparently take it as a personal slight that you struggled in the 80s and some others did well.
I can't help you with that.
Read my previous post.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#191001 Dec 9, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't corrupt Unions any more. They did it to themselves. It's just a smaller form of government. Back room deals that line the pockets of the Union negotiators. They don't give a shit about the workers. They never did and they never will. There are no "good" Unions. SEIU is the worst followed closely by the AFT. You have good young teachers coming out of college with great ideas who think they're going to make a difference. Then they find out that they get to pay off their student loans by being a whore for the Teachers Union.
They need to be broken and it needs to start now.
100% agree, but once a Union is in it's very hard to get rid of them. We need some laws that limit their certification. So the workers can decide if they want to continue with the Union or not.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#191002 Dec 9, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you assume what the student spends his money on? maybe he's saving for a car. Maybe he needs to pay off a debt. Maybe he needs to preorder Assassin's Creed 8.
Also, why can't the mother use her income to buy her food? Why does she need the handout?
Why should taxpayers be responsible for that mother's mistakes?
This reminds me of this 19 year old girl at work. She just told me today that she's pregnant. She has no boyfriend, no husband. Got knocked up by a booty call. She works part time and lives at her mom's house.
She's gonna be a single mother in nine months.
And she can't support herself, let alone herself and a child.
Guess who's gonna be footing the bill for her mistake?
You got it, all taxpayers.
Will you be championing her EBT card even though she lives at mommies house and her only expense is a cell phone bill?
.. this post is totally screwed ..

.. you forgot to mention the guy who left a donation with the egg donor ..

.. you're on my s*it list. Again ..

“Pillars of Creation....”

Into this world we're thrown

#191003 Dec 9, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
There you have it then. While the student makes his gas and condom money, the mother buys food for her children with her EBT card. That's kinda how it works, right?
Is this the real River????

Intelligent, humorous, and attractive.......

Mia's a lucky woman..........

;o)
UdiotRACEMAKEWOR LDPEACE

United States

#191004 Dec 9, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
An expanding government is not my friend.
I prefer individual liberty - for obvious reasons.
You war mongering Cons are not for Individual liberty... u are ignorant to fact you support Corporatism agenda how is that defending liberty , as you posts gives you away, you seem brainwashed and can't understand you been fooled by those ConnedSERvatives In Power ! You another lowly Joe Schmoe taken to cleaners by those in power! In fact you support Expanding govt agendas, whether you know it or not! As MANY WHO listenED to Right wing Radio Shockjocks to like of Rush, Hannity, Savage... THEY actuaLLY support expanding govt! so? baHAHAHAAAAA
Jugheads/meatheads/jockheads like you are ignorant and easily brainwashed Note Not a lIb or con !
Whether expanding for small or large govt , as often doesn't make a difference, what determines a nation's value are able to bring prosperity for its people through ethical capitalistic practices and hold it human moral values , and is for world stability... As are those mans In power with reason but with lack of /without moral conduct will do what to its nation and world in it, that We , the people should be more concern about who ones are at helm.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#191005 Dec 9, 2013
Brilliant.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
So it's safe to assume you don't use the term "Obamacare."

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#191006 Dec 9, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
The homeowners were suppose to be the big winners. Alot of them lost their investments.
Barney and the boys got financial support from Big bankers and ins. Co's. Bankers got their hands slapped and were made fun of in front congressional panels.
So what did they do they made new laws, which before they were passed said did not go far enough and would not prevent this from happening again, and we've already seen examples of that.
We should ALL be pissed and not just at Dems or Cons but all of them and demand better.
The collapse in '08 wasn't just the government's fault. It also had a lot to with poor practices of bank, realtors and potential home buyers.

There's no way in hell that a person making $25,000 a year should've qualified to purchase a $250,000 home. They can't afford the mortgage.

Did you know that in '06, 500,000 home loans were given to illegal aliens?

And the liberals are still blaming Bush...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#191007 Dec 9, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. this post is totally screwed ..
.. you forgot to mention the guy who left a donation with the egg donor ..
.. you're on my s*it list. Again ..
Don't be offended.

River posed a hypothetical about a high school student and a single mother.

It is to that I was referring to.

Other than the woman power issues, wrong with my post? Do you think society should be financially responsible for a person's fuckups?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#191008 Dec 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimmy Carter was real people, not a plastic shape shifting politician.
Buck, do you know what a Yellow dog Democrat was? That was one that would vote for a yellow dog before a Republican, That WAS the South. Carter was a moderate, but after the national Democrats turned left he was identified as one by shape shifting Republicans. Politics, son, politics.
Carter and Ted Kennedy were not best buds.
History has looked favorably on President Regan as also it has on President Ford. I was angry at Ford for the pardon he gave Nixon but looking back he did the right thing. A courageous act for the nation.

Our Dearly beloved President Carter has shown how astute a President can be once leaving office. A distinguished Naval Officer and a dedicated US President. However his policies were weak in dealing with Iran and the former USSR. The Economy was in shambles when he was in office.

President Regan understood economy because he was a degreed economist. The team he put in place worked to improve the economy. His presidency was not without controversy as we all know. But the overall picture is viewed favorably.

President Clinton also was running the ship when the economy was good. We have to give credit where credit is due. However his Presidency will always be marred by his lack of discretion with Monica Lewinski. Hillary came out the hero in that deal. Extremely longsuffering and forgiving I must say.

But all these Presidents believed in God and still do. They believe in freedom of religion and the right to worship the one true God. They had faith in God, all of them. So often we believers are belittled as being unintelligent for believing in God.

All of our Presidents were human and had had faults but they all believed in God.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#191009 Dec 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
There was one aspect of the Reagan years that really got to me back then, being one each standard chivalrous male with an ingrained cultural imperative that women were to be protected.
The amount of homeless women that started showing up in Miami. Sleeping on bus benches. Wandering around with their bags. Especially the older ones.
WTF!!
You had your winos and bums, but this was something that never ever should have happened. These women weren't drunks and winos. They were mental cases, they were poor, they hit bad times, they were powerless. It was totally unAmerican and unChristian. It violated every civilized concept. Reagan's policies chunked them out on the street, literally. No nets, no guidance. Goodbye.
In addition, those were the cocaine cowboy days. All up and comers were coke heads. You couldn't touch a used $20 bill in Miami that didn't have coke residue on it. That was a fact. Drug money fueled the economy. It provided much of the wealth for the economic upswing that was claimed.
Bipartisan legislation passed by Congress and signed by Reagan led to the Federal government transferring government funding of community mental health facilities back to the states.

Facilities already state-funded were not affected by the policy. States had full responsibility for these facilities. The care went downhill in many states.

In 1986, Reagan signed into a law a bill increasing Medicaid assistance for these patients.

The laws signed by Reagan closed not a single facility.
UdiotRACEMAKEWOR LDPEACE

United States

#191010 Dec 9, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The collapse in '08 wasn't just the government's fault. It also had a lot to with poor practices of bank, realtors and potential home buyers.
There's no way in hell that a person making $25,000 a year should've qualified to purchase a $250,000 home. They can't afford the mortgage.
Did you know that in '06, 500,000 home loans were given to illegal aliens?
And the liberals are still blaming Bush...
wRONG, u using incorrect term not poor practices, try again .

Note not a lib or con! Actually not just all bush fault its is really aggregated of couple of Admins faults !

Location hidden

#191011 Dec 9, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Brilliant.
<quoted text>
Thanks, man.

Location hidden

#191012 Dec 9, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Sure, because "love your enemy" is such a nasty ideal.
It's not so much nasty as empty.

It doesn't mean very much without some context. If you combine this statement with the rest of the Bible, the context doesn't help at all. The context is contradictory.

We all know that you can love someone and still hurt them, so I'm not very impressed with a simple commandment to love your enemy. A commandment to simply "love everyone" would have been better. Still, that "love", unmanifested in beneficial actions, is just an empty platitude.

Of course you have "turn the other cheek", which I consider horrible advice, but the overall theme of Bible God's character is that of a monster of epic proportions.

Here's some of that context I was talking about.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/donald...

Location hidden

#191013 Dec 9, 2013
UdiotRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text>
You war mongering Cons are not for Individual liberty... u are ignorant to fact you support Corporatism agenda how is that defending liberty , as you posts gives you away, you seem brainwashed and can't understand you been fooled by those ConnedSERvatives In Power ! You another lowly Joe Schmoe taken to cleaners by those in power! In fact you support Expanding govt agendas, whether you know it or not! As MANY WHO listenED to Right wing Radio Shockjocks to like of Rush, Hannity, Savage... THEY actuaLLY support expanding govt! so? baHAHAHAAAAA
Jugheads/meatheads/jockheads like you are ignorant and easily brainwashed Note Not a lIb or con !
Whether expanding for small or large govt , as often doesn't make a difference, what determines a nation's value are able to bring prosperity for its people through ethical capitalistic practices and hold it human moral values , and is for world stability... As are those mans In power with reason but with lack of /without moral conduct will do what to its nation and world in it, that We , the people should be more concern about who ones are at helm.
You had me at World Peace.

You stupidFucking womp jawed moron.

Go take a crap in traffic.

Location hidden

#191014 Dec 9, 2013
UdiotRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
<quoted text>wRONG, u using incorrect term not poor practices, try again .
Note not a lib or con! Actually not just all bush fault its is really aggregated of couple of Admins faults !
It was agregated of a couple of Admins.

I see.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#191015 Dec 9, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
WTF!!
Looking back the use of illegal drugs in the work place was one of the most dangerous times in American History. In Houston Texas, the Petro-Chemcial Complex of the world had at least 45% regular illegal drug users on the job including Engineers.

Mandatory drug testing came but almost too late. It had to be tested by the courts and finally the druggies had to let go of their contraband or be fired.

I admire your thoughts about the homeless. When I was younger I worked with our church in feeding homeless men in downtown Houston. Some of these men were well educated living on the streets. Alcohol and drugs nearly destroyed them. We were able to save a few and get them back on their feet.

In those days in the 70’s I didn’t see any homeless women. But they came later and they lived in cars, under boxes, just anywhere. Then came entire homeless families. Your right we could have done better as a nation to help homeless people find a way back into society.

There’re still good organizations they do what they can like the Salvation Army. I gave the other day as I left Wal-Mart. I hope everyone gives something even if it’s just spare change. The poor and destitute we will always have but we can do better in helping them.

Location hidden

#191016 Dec 9, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not so much nasty as empty.
It doesn't mean very much without some context. If you combine this statement with the rest of the Bible, the context doesn't help at all. The context is contradictory.
We all know that you can love someone and still hurt them, so I'm not very impressed with a simple commandment to love your enemy. A commandment to simply "love everyone" would have been better. Still, that "love", unmanifested in beneficial actions, is just an empty platitude.
Of course you have "turn the other cheek", which I consider horrible advice, but the overall theme of Bible God's character is that of a monster of epic proportions.
Here's some of that context I was talking about.
http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/donald...
Have you ever considered that the Bible might not be accurate?

If not, then God could be a great guy, right?

I don't think it would be possible to love, and have it result in no actions.

Even if so, the love would give a proper perspective as to how one relates to another.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 min karl44 16,408
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 6 min Reason Personified 65
A Universe from Nothing? 2 hr IB DaMann 100
News Atheism Destroyed with One Scientific Question 2 hr IB DaMann 7
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr IB DaMann 40,836
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 3 hr Eagle 12 20,625
Good arguments against Christianity 6 hr IB DaMann 114
More from around the web