Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#190408 Dec 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Christmas is a federal holiday, sweet cheeks.
We won.
Jesus has everything to do with Christmas.
The holiday is even named after Him.
Saying Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus is like saying MLK day has nothing to do with MLK...
Do you celebrate Christmas in your village?
Show me the letters J U and E in Christmas. I'll spot you the S and S.

Martin Luther King day is named after Martin Luther King, Jr.

Petition Congress to make a Jesus day.

Go.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#190409 Dec 7, 2013
I managed to blow a hole through a polycarbonate roof panel on a side building with my last lot of fireworks. Oops.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
In the way that we celebrate Bonfire Night because of Guy Fawkes.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#190410 Dec 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Which god?

God.

duh

I always find it amusing when someone asks a Christian "which god?", as if the Christian just may believe in a different god.

Why do y'all do that?
Because without counting all the religions, there are many gods, just in the bible.

You can believe a woodland faery made you for all I care, I can believe, or not believe, whatever I want as well, something I base on facts and not a collection of stories and superstitions.

That's why I do that anyway, can't speak for anyone else.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

#190411 Dec 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I had to go to the googlers for that one.
A strange celebration.
Do you celebrate it?
Oh yes - it's tradition.

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the King and Parliament
All up alive.
Threescore barrels, laid below,
To prove old England's overthrow.
But, by God's providence, him they catch,
With a dark lantern, lighting a match!
A stick and a stake
For King James's sake!
If you won't give me one,
I'll take two,
The better for me,
And the worse for you.
A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope,
A penn'orth of cheese to choke him,
A pint of beer to wash it down,
And a jolly good fire to burn him.
Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring!
Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King!
Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#190412 Dec 7, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
He's addicted.
Yes, and he admits to that. Yet he still feels comfortable dissing pot smokers.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#190413 Dec 7, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Only a pyrrhic victory.
My internet banking works just fine on December 25th.
I know you celebrate Christmas, Jesus' birth, out there in the UK.

Well,, maybe not YOU, but most people do.

Most of your businesses are closed that day, the day prior and the day after.

What devastating cost are you referring to? The festivities? The food? The family gathering?

Or are you that typical type that racks up his credit cards to buy everyone you've ever known a gift?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190414 Dec 7, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me the letters J U and E in Christmas. I'll spot you the S and S.
Martin Luther King day is named after Martin Luther King, Jr.
Petition Congress to make a Jesus day.
Go.
Christ's Mass, my dear.

I know you're not this stupid.

You don't play it very well, wither.

Fennario

#190415 Dec 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
We cannot convince American people of the superiority of freedom any more.
You need to talk to your government about that, not the American people. The citizens have little say about national policy any more. They are losing their power at the state level as well.

You are still free, however, to choose the local dog catcher and set the local library's hours.
Buck Crick wrote:
They deserve what they get. And they are gonna' get it.
We agree there.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190416 Dec 7, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Because without counting all the religions, there are many gods, just in the bible.
You can believe a woodland faery made you for all I care, I can believe, or not believe, whatever I want as well, something I base on facts and not a collection of stories and superstitions.
That's why I do that anyway, can't speak for anyone else.
You didn't answer the question.

You're talking to a Christian.

A Christian, a believer in God.

And you still ask which god?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190417 Dec 7, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes - it's tradition.
Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the King and Parliament
All up alive.
Threescore barrels, laid below,
To prove old England's overthrow.
But, by God's providence, him they catch,
With a dark lantern, lighting a match!
A stick and a stake
For King James's sake!
If you won't give me one,
I'll take two,
The better for me,
And the worse for you.
A rope, a rope, to hang the Pope,
A penn'orth of cheese to choke him,
A pint of beer to wash it down,
And a jolly good fire to burn him.
Holloa, boys! holloa, boys! make the bells ring!
Holloa, boys! holloa boys! God save the King!
Hip, hip, hooor-r-r-ray!
God save the Queen.

er, or something like that.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#190418 Dec 7, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You have bought into the same paradigm as Buck. You trust our enemies. They have you more interested in the profitability of correctional institutes than in justice.
What makes you think that the government pays private contractors less than it spends when it builds and administers prisons itself? This was the same line we were fed about privatizing the administration of Medicare benefits through senior HMOs, which cost taxpayers about 12% more per Medicare patient than what they paid before the matter was privatized, and patients and physicians get less to boot:
"Overpayment. How much more do they get paid? The Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC), an independent federal body established by the BBA to advise Congress, released its annual “Report to Congress” on March 1, 2007. Their analysis indicates that benchmarks are 116% of the average Medicare FFS [fee for service, what private doctors contracting with Medicare receive] expenditures and payments to plans are 112% of the average Medicare FFS expenditures. "
http://140.174.89.214/News/Arc hives/MA_Overpayments.htm
You simply need to read and evaluate data independently and critically, not just trust authoritative father figures, or at a minimum, learn who is your friend and who is merely posing as your friend.
I don't expect you to believe or trust me. I just noted a few years back what fraction of the American people lean your way, how immovable they were, saw what the inevitable result of that would be, and decided that it wasn't good for me and my family that so many share your philosophy. I don't think it's good for you and yours either, but that's for you to determine.
I can look out my window and see a private prison down the road. One of those CCA places. It is about the biggest economic engine in the county outside the farms and ranches. It supports the local government. They have to pay the county for meals and other things. It is also the biggest employer. It is also cheaper than government run institutions. It also just gets the overflow. They have pulled prisoners out to fill state prisons left emptier after waves of releases.

They are cheaper, more flexible, return more dollars to the local area, and better managed than state facilities. They are much kinder to those drug prisoners and other lesser felonies. You chunk the hard core violent ones in the state system.

Our county jail houses prisoners from other counties in the state, and gets paid for it. It is cheaper for those other counties. Capital costs.

The laws are written. Offenses are to be punished. It is the law. Secular law. Those private prisons tend to be run more efficiently and humanely than state ones. They are more answerable to the public and political pressures. You won't have the entrenchment you get in government power and jobs. Your worst abuses are done in those government prisons.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190419 Dec 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes, and he admits to that. Yet he still feels comfortable dissing pot smokers.
I'm not comfortable with a man of your advanced years using words like "dissing".

It's just wrong.

ya dig?

Location hidden

#190420 Dec 7, 2013
<quoted text>Yes, and he admits to that. Yet he still feels comfortable dissing pot smokers.
Evidently, it's easier to quit heroin than cigarettes and here they send the smack addicts to methadone clinics.

Smokers are paying for Australia's deficit.

It's quite a mess.

Fennario

#190421 Dec 7, 2013
Cisco Kid wrote:
Why do you waste your time worshipping the false god of science? "Nobel winner: scientists get it wrong most of time
AP News | 12/06/13 06:42 pm
Oh boy. Another fine product of Jesus, Inc. You can't have enough neighbors that think like this.

Now that you've covered science, please tell us what you think about critical thinking, autonomy, mankind, and man's lot in life.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#190422 Dec 7, 2013
Richard Dawkins uses the words "merry christmas" more often than most of your compatriots do. "happy holidays" really grates on me.

To correct you: most of our businesses are not closed the day before but most are closed the day after - except for retailers.

For me, christmas is a great excuse to have parties without any of that tedious church nonsense. The only issue I have is that the pubs shut early on the 25th.

Yes, I will buy quite a few presents but I always pay off my credit cards completely every month.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you celebrate Christmas, Jesus' birth, out there in the UK.
Well,, maybe not YOU, but most people do.
Most of your businesses are closed that day, the day prior and the day after.
What devastating cost are you referring to? The festivities? The food? The family gathering?
Or are you that typical type that racks up his credit cards to buy everyone you've ever known a gift?

Location hidden

#190423 Dec 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You didn't answer the question.

You're talking to a Christian.

A Christian, a believer in God.

And you still ask which god?
Sorry dude, I forgot you haven't read the christian bible.

Fennario

#190424 Dec 7, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
There are many good people with honest concerns like you convey here, unfortunately it seems none of them are in charge of the big corporations or our government.
Well said.

Somebody's in charge. I believe that by default, you are describing a corporatocracy rather than a democracy.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190425 Dec 7, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently, it's easier to quit heroin than cigarettes and here they send the smack addicts to methadone clinics.
Smokers are paying for Australia's deficit.
It's quite a mess.
They should make the crackheads pay their own way.

Naaaw.

Try crack.
Get hooked on crack.
Go to jail.
Go to rehab.
Get Obamaphone and welfare.

Not a bad deal.

Fennario

#190426 Dec 7, 2013
Nobody wrote:
True - Anyone can define spirituality. But atheists are excluded from believing in it. An atheist has no choice but to reduce every observed thing to matter.
You probably shouldn't try to think for us. You aren't even close. Spirituality isn't something you believe in.
Nobody wrote:
All things spiritual , by definition transcend matter.
You're using an inadequate definition. It doesn't acknowledge what human beings actually experience.

Incidentally, you apparently also don't understand what materialism is, either. It doesn't insist that everything is matter.

Fennario

#190427 Dec 7, 2013
Nobody wrote:
We are all corporate scumbags waiting for our opportunity to exercise human tendency to screw our fellow man.
Are you a Christian by any chance?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 11 hr Denisova 18,852
News Confessions of a black atheist 16 hr Mikko 475
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Sun Amused 25
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) Sun thetruth 6,124
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Sun thetruth 2,094
News The Consequences of Atheism Sat Koala_Gums 1,340
News Gary Gutting and Alvin Plantinga "Is Atheism Ir... May 2 geezerjock 1
More from around the web