Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258473 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#190375 Dec 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes of course, my lil puddin pop.
Jesus Christ has nothing to do with Christmas.
Of course...
You should tell the other atheists.
They might stop fighting it every year....
Jesus isn't needed for Christmas; we can enjoy it perfectly well without him.

For those that can't enjoy Christmas without Jesus.....well, perhaps you're out of touch.

When it comes to being altruistic, there's definitely no requirement for Jesus. However, people who need Jesus to be altruistic are, quite possibly, dicks.

“What?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#190376 Dec 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes of course, my lil puddin pop.
Jesus Christ has nothing to do with Christmas.
Of course...
You should tell the other atheists.
They might stop fighting it every year....
So...you're saying there is a War on Christmas?

How do you fight it?

Do you buy stuff and give it to other people? That'll show em.

Do you worship the doll in the manger?

"Hold the damn goat, Bobby. It's trying to eat the Baby Jesus' hand again. For Christsakes. I'm not directing this next year. I swear to God I'm not. OMFG, the sheep shit again. MILDRED GET THE SHOVEL !!!" ~ Roma Downey

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#190377 Dec 7, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
If you think that authentic spirituality has anything to do with the supernatural or superstitions, then you can't define it. You have no idea what it is.
You're confused, IANS.

Spirituality is a stepping out of the body, so to speak. Ethereal, non-substance, or something like that. You know, like smoking some good shit or dropping some acid. You enter another realm of understanding. Temporarily as it usually is. But in your case it is chemicals that unlock that rigid material training you created for yourself.

Remember the first rule of atheism. If you can't see or measure, it doesn't exist. Yet you can feel that "spirituality", that ethereality, that release from the body. At least to a degree.

The same happens in dreams and NDE's. Detached consciousness from the body. This seems to be an innate yearning for people, the prime reason for getting drunk, stoned, and pursuit of palliative care.

It is 7 degrees, 15 mph wind, and a goddamned 80% humidity this morning which is freezing may ass off. That damned humidity. Where does it come from in 7 degree weather? It is it's normal 20% in the house. Usually that or less outside.

I have to go outside to feed those stupid ass cats in this shit.

I need a couple of doobies.

:-)

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#190378 Dec 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I can't speak for you, but I gather most doctors would not want to be a government employee. Those doctors who presently are employed by the government make less money, and have less desirable working conditions.
I don't know about less desirable working conditions. VA doctors are pretty much immune from malpractice suits, rarely take call, don't get out of bed at night, don't have to build a practice, don't have to run a business or pay lease/payroll, don't go to nursing homes, don't have to get credentialed at hospitals or with health plans, don't have to visit multiple hospitals in a day, and more.
Buck Crick wrote:
The private sector is a far better arbiter of the exchange of money and services. This is irrefutable.
It's refutable.

Look at your domestic airlines, the poster child for deregulation and market forces from the Reagan era. It's a laughingstock.

Look at private health insurance versus public health insurance. When you factor in industry profits, and the heartless and short-sighted way that benefits are meted out, it's much less efficient.

I just showed you the problem with profiteering in corrections.

How about private police and military forces? Wouldn't those be lovely services?
Buck Crick wrote:
There we find incentives for efficiency. In government, the incentives are perverse - they mask inefficiency for the primary goal of power and longevity.
The profit incentive is a powerful machine to motivate efficiency, industry and innovation, but it is also an incentive to commit fraud and to harm people, meaning that it must be regulated everywhere, and that it is inappropriate altogether in some areas.
Buck Crick wrote:
"The greatest advances of civilization, whether in architecture or painting, in science and literature, in industry or agriculture, have never come from centralized government."
-Milton Friedman
Never? How about the Roman Empire and America before the late 20th century?

That Friedman / Laffer / Norquist stuff is Reagan apologetics. I know that you are still an advocate of it, but I most definitely am not. I consider supply-side economics and the Republican's philosophy of taxation to be a con job.

Rocky Ford, CO

#190379 Dec 7, 2013
<quoted text>
You've got it backwards. In fact, people that smoke only pot not only don't get lung disease, from "Study: Smoking Marijuana Not Linked with Lung Damage" at http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/10/study-s... , "Marijuana smokers performed better on tests of lung function compared to nonsmokers and cigarette smokers"
<quoted text>
Then perhaps you should stop looking down your nose at what you disparingly call "druggies." I've told you before that you're trusting the wrong people. You've bought into their self-serving paradigm, which profits from criminalizing pot and pushing tobacco. The carnage from each is staggering.
We really, really, RE
That is what I read years ago.

I agree with you on a realistic basis concerning "natural" pot. However, that stuff has been laced with so much crap you don't know what you are ingesting in your lungs. And this new artificial marijuana has killed some people here in CO. Wrong chemicals can cause cancer or respiratory arrest.

Marijuana is legal here, but that doesn't stop the profiteers from making things dangerous. It can be legal nationwide and they can pass laws requiring it to be 100% organic and you will still have those guys lacing it.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#190381 Dec 7, 2013
Khatru wrote:
"Do you think this handkerchief smells of chloroform?"
That one always worked for me.
Only for the old guys.

Us younger guys don't use handkerchiefs...

"You don't seem too drunk, can I have your number? Or should I buy you another round?"

lol

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190382 Dec 7, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus isn't needed for Christmas; we can enjoy it perfectly well without him.
For those that can't enjoy Christmas without Jesus.....well, perhaps you're out of touch.
When it comes to being altruistic, there's definitely no requirement for Jesus. However, people who need Jesus to be altruistic are, quite possibly, dicks.
Without Jesus, there'd be no Christmas.

Just sayin...

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#190383 Dec 7, 2013
darksoul wrote:
<quoted text>so they don't have video chat on here huh?
nah but i wouldn't want that, just sounds would suffice, it can be done through youtube, with a background image and a link but what a hassle just to say duuuuuh and whatnot.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190384 Dec 7, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
So...you're saying there is a War on Christmas?
How do you fight it?
Do you buy stuff and give it to other people? That'll show em.
Do you worship the doll in the manger?
"Hold the damn goat, Bobby. It's trying to eat the Baby Jesus' hand again. For Christsakes. I'm not directing this next year. I swear to God I'm not. OMFG, the sheep shit again. MILDRED GET THE SHOVEL !!!" ~ Roma Downey
No, there's no war.

Try going to the bank on Christmas.

All you'll get is a locked door and an ATM...

We won the war.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#190385 Dec 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Only for the old guys.

Us younger guys don't use handkerchiefs...

"You don't seem too drunk, can I have your number? Or should I buy you another round?"

lol
Well that marginally beats the majority of Aussie guys who stare for hours, then when really drunk and reeking of beer, stumble over and say "wanna root?"

Gross.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#190386 Dec 7, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
nah but i wouldn't want that, just sounds would suffice, it can be done through youtube, with a background image and a link but what a hassle just to say duuuuuh and whatnot.
You have to use your God given imagination.

*plop*

Did you hear that?

Fennario

#190387 Dec 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
What is not safe is living among people who think the government should continue its relentless march to control more and more of our lives, under the guise of providing more and more protection and service.
Have you ever noticed that the source of that kind of anti-government thinking, which also dates back to Reagan <
>, only applies to taxing and regulating industry and spending money on ordinary citizens, but that the right has no problem with a huge and bloated government for domestic law enforcement, especially the War on Drugs, domestic surveillance, fighting foreign wars, maintaining overseas military bases, useless weapons systems, and other forms of corporate welfare like farm subsidies?

Progressives are the ones interested in the lives of people, not the captains of industry. The people promoting that philosophy are not your friends, and their philosophy isn't intended to help you.

In my opinion, just like Dave and Bongo, you've trusted the wrong people.

“What?”

Location hidden

#190388 Dec 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Just sayin...
What?

There is Christmas without Jesus.

"That's my XBox. Fuckyoubitch."

"Don't taze me Bro...zzzzz.....zzzzzz.....

Oh, never mind.

Rocky Ford, CO

#190389 Dec 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Have you ever noticed that the source of that kind of anti-government thinking, which also dates back to Reagan < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xhYJS80MgYAXX >, only applies to taxing and regulating industry and spending money on ordinary citizens, but that the right has no problem with a huge and bloated government for domestic law enforcement, especially the War on Drugs, domestic surveillance, fighting foreign wars, maintaining overseas military bases, useless weapons systems, and other forms of corporate welfare like farm subsidies?
Progressives are the ones interested in the lives of people, not the captains of industry. The people promoting that philosophy are not your friends, and their philosophy isn't intended to help you.
In my opinion, just like Dave and Bongo, you've trusted the wrong people.
Amusing. You're the trusting one, IANS.

Dave learned a long time ago the difference between trust and knowing where they are coming from. You are dancing with a devil you don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#190390 Dec 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to use your God given imagination.
*plop*
Did you hear that?
Which god do you allege gave me my imagination? Can you prove such allegations?

http://i.imgur.com/4X8knA8.jpg

“What?”

Location hidden

#190391 Dec 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, there's no war.
Try going to the bank on Christmas.
All you'll get is a locked door and an ATM...
We won the war.
The Internet is Open, old man.

Who goes to the bank?

If you want to cash in your pennies, I'm sure the SuperMarket has a Coin Machine at a nominal cost. They're open on Christmas but they only let the Jews work, right?

Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus. Do you agree, yet?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#190392 Dec 7, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Just sayin...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAH AHAHAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHA H

It's just not the same in text.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#190393 Dec 7, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know he believed in reincarnation?
That explains the curly-haired little kid in the kitchen.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#190394 Dec 7, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing. You're the trusting one, IANS.
Dave learned a long time ago the difference between trust and knowing where they are coming from. You are dancing with a devil you don't know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =AqYIS-oBjr0XX
http://i.imgur.com/4X8knA8.jpg

I want you to know, you inspired me.

Fennario

#190395 Dec 7, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Those privatized jails are cheaper to run , anything the govt tries to do is highly inflated. egregious exceptions not withstanding.
With all due respect, it's simply not safe living among too high a fraction of neighbors that think like that. Half of the country buys into that message. You trust the wrong people. You trust our enemies, yours and mine.
Bongo wrote:
Think like what?
You have bought into the same paradigm as Buck. You trust our enemies. They have you more interested in the profitability of correctional institutes than in justice.

What makes you think that the government pays private contractors less than it spends when it builds and administers prisons itself? This was the same line we were fed about privatizing the administration of Medicare benefits through senior HMOs, which cost taxpayers about 12% more per Medicare patient than what they paid before the matter was privatized, and patients and physicians get less to boot:

"Overpayment. How much more do they get paid? The Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC), an independent federal body established by the BBA to advise Congress, released its annual “Report to Congress” on March 1, 2007. Their analysis indicates that benchmarks are 116% of the average Medicare FFS [fee for service, what private doctors contracting with Medicare receive] expenditures and payments to plans are 112% of the average Medicare FFS expenditures. "
http://140.174.89.214/News/Arc hives/MA_Overpayments.htm

You simply need to read and evaluate data independently and critically, not just trust authoritative father figures, or at a minimum, learn who is your friend and who is merely posing as your friend.

I don't expect you to believe or trust me. I just noted a few years back what fraction of the American people lean your way, how immovable they were, saw what the inevitable result of that would be, and decided that it wasn't good for me and my family that so many share your philosophy. I don't think it's good for you and yours either, but that's for you to determine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min Subduction Zone 67,098
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 12 min Subduction Zone 28,589
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 21 min Regolith Based Li... 3,523
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? 20 hr superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 20 hr superwilly 462
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... Apr 20 Eagle 12 9
More from around the web