Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 240125 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#190061 Dec 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Great factoid on the news tonight: "America has 5% of the world's population and 25% of the world's prisoners." That must cost the US a lot.
Yes, it costs a lot. Families are devastated.

And it costs the nation a lot. For example, it kind of makes a mockery of the phrase "land of the free."

Were you aware that they've begun privatizing corrections? People are now making money when somebody is incarcerated. It's not hard to imagine what the effect of a policy like that would be:

"The "kids for cash" scandal unfolded in 2008 over judicial kickbacks at the Luzerne County Court of Common Pleas in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Two judges, President Judge Mark Ciavarella and Senior Judge Michael Conahan, were accused of accepting money from Robert Mericle, builder of two private, for-profit juvenile facilities, in return for contracting with the facilities and imposing harsh sentences on juveniles brought before their courts to increase the number of inmates in the detention centers. For example, Ciavarella sentenced children to extended stays in juvenile detention for offenses as minimal as mocking a principal on Myspace, trespassing in a vacant building, and shoplifting DVDs from Wal-mart."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_sc...

What is the cost of that?

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#190062 Dec 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're such a pill...
This is the "threat to your life" I gave you:
ChristineM: "Did you miss me?"
RR: "Yes, I need a new scope."
If you wanna call that a threat to your life, I suggest you never leave your home.
Yes you claimed your gun sight was faulty as the reason you missed, I realise you find pointing your gun at people and saying bang…‘OH I missed because of these pesky sights are faulty’ is fooking hilarious redneck fun however I don’t really think the relatives of victims of gun crime think your sense of humour is anything more than the result of a sick mind.

Honey we don’t have as many pissed up rednecks packing guns with faulty sights in the UK, thank fook, we have enough problems with pissed of morons without guns.

#190063 Dec 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I've done so many times before, but my brain was frozen in that instance. Still is. It's 12 degrees out there, and I was in it for a while.
I'm glad there isn't a stiff breeze today.
Could be worse.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_COL...
Could be worse for sure, you could live in the UK, yesterday, when you wrote this the 100MPH+ stiff breeze was killing people and cause millions of pounds of damage

Methinks that would have blown you brain right out of your left nostril.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#190064 Dec 6, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it costs a lot. Families are devastated.

And it costs the nation a lot. For example, it kind of makes a mockery of the phrase "land of the free."

Were you aware that they've begun privatizing corrections? People are now making money when somebody is incarcerated. It's not hard to imagine what the effect of a policy like that would be:

"The "kids for cash" scandal unfolded in 2008 over judicial kickbacks at the Luzerne County Court of Common Pleas in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Two judges, President Judge Mark Ciavarella and Senior Judge Michael Conahan, were accused of accepting money from Robert Mericle, builder of two private, for-profit juvenile facilities, in return for contracting with the facilities and imposing harsh sentences on juveniles brought before their courts to increase the number of inmates in the detention centers. For example, Ciavarella sentenced children to extended stays in juvenile detention for offenses as minimal as mocking a principal on Myspace, trespassing in a vacant building, and shoplifting DVDs from Wal-mart."

That's appalling. I have no words.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#190065 Dec 6, 2013
It's difficult to prove any correlation between sentencing and combating crime.

Murders in France are far less likely to be solved than in the UK. Sentences are often shorter. Yet France's murder rate is slightly less than that of the UK.

I don't slavishly expect all state services to be supplied by government employees, but the second you see private companies lobbying to increase their business in the way you described below, you have to start locking up their CEOs. It's the only way they'll learn how to be responsible citizens.
<quoted text>
Yes, it costs a lot. Families are devastated.

Fennario

#190066 Dec 6, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Fact is the law is what makes us aware of sin, isn't it?
That's not a fact.

There is no law except physical law governing the behavior of matter, psychological and moral imperatives governing self-behavior, and man made rules governing the behavior of individuals in societies.

There is no such thing as sin in in the religious sense - the violation of divine law - if there is no god giving laws. Religious law is merely the rules of priests posing as gods, and as such, has no authority over those not choosing to submit to it.
Bongo wrote:
Is our condition a price being paid for our forefathers failings?
What kind of justice is that?

What damage does such a belief do if people first learn justice from such a model?

If I understood him correctly, Buck told us that he thought that the Christian model damaged his sense of self-worth. Do you think that might have had an ill effect on his future? I was raised outside of religion, and was gifted with a strong sense of self-worth. It was a huge asset as I went through early life making choices.

How about children learning mercy from a model that describes a god that banishes people to hell forever without chance of forgiveness as merciful? Would you like such people on a jury judging you?

How about them learning love from this model, one that that defines love in terms of forgiving them for being human if they worship the perpetrator and victim of a blood sacrifice?

Could such ideas damage a nation if tens of millions of people are raised learning them first? Could they make people violent, vengeful, quick to judge, slow to forgive, and unsuccessful in their love relationships?

I realize that you have been taught to revere all of this, and consider these ideas sacred, inviolable, and beyond question.

But I was not, and I can look at this stuff critically. If you could, I suspect that you would see all of this as I do, and you would feel the way I do about it all: These are all very bad ideas that do a lot of harm to individuals and damage a culture.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#190067 Dec 6, 2013
Somebody sent me a picture of a plastic garden chair lying on its side inscribed with the following: "We Will Rebuild."
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be worse for sure, you could live in the UK, yesterday, when you wrote this the 100MPH+ stiff breeze was killing people and cause millions of pounds of damage

Fennario

#190068 Dec 6, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
if I was like you and taught my sons that the Bible is a myth and a bunch of hocus pocus, that'd be prejudiced too.
How is that prejudice? Here are some sample definitions

• an unfair feeling of dislike for a person or group because of race, sex, religion, etc.

• a feeling of like or dislike for someone or something especially when it is not reasonable or logical

• preconceived judgment or opinion

• an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge

Feel free to supply any other definitions you can find that you like better.

Then ´please answer me this: In what sense is calling the bible myth and magic after decades of life experience prejudice?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#190069 Dec 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
So because you are too weak to handle a mere hangover you get to make racist comments about the Irish. Again.
<quoted text>
Too weak?

Real men drink poison, eh? Get drunk and stay that way was what I was told was the way to get over hangovers. By an Irishman.

Such intelligence. Part of the Irish mythos.

One of my ancestors married an Irish woman, The rest of them tended to kill Irish men. Called improving the breed.

There is a fair amount of English and Scots in my background.

Fennario

#190070 Dec 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =RovD-0Hze8AXX
Cab Calloway did that in 1932.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
There were lots of songs about drugs in the 20's and 30's.
Not very flattering about the users of them.
Your post does not flatter you.

Your opinions about drugs are typical for someone who has learned to trust the wrong people and accepted on faith the values of a decaying culture, one that wages a profitable and unjust war on its citizens.

The fact that you treat all illicit drugs as equivalent - just like the legal system - is evidence of that. People who think for themselves and make critical judgments make distinctions between substances like pot and substances like cocaine, heroin and methamphetamine.

Fennario

#190071 Dec 6, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
Y do African elephants have big ears? Because Noddy won't pay the ransom.
I had to research that to get your joke. I hadn't heard of Noddy or Big Ears before your post. As far as I know, this story never got to the States.

No comment:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ID1HJDRGf7w/UTWFY3V...

#190072 Dec 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Somebody sent me a picture of a plastic garden chair lying on its side inscribed with the following: "We Will Rebuild."
<quoted text>
There will be quite a lot of it to do, I have not even checked my garden furniture, for all I know it could be in Sweden now.

Westcliffe, CO

#190073 Dec 6, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
70 MPH winds are fairly common out here. Spring time can drive you nuts with the high winds in and from the Rockies. Days and days of 50+ wind blowing. My windows don't even rattle. I went through 200 MPH winds in Miami.

Then here is always the sickly green clouds in Spring tornado season. We have holes in the ground and basements in most houses to escape winds.

Then there are the lovely hail storms. They get up to softball size on occasion. Golf ball size is large enough to ruin your day.

What a bunch of wimps. If you didn't whine so much you wouldn't have had such a breeze.

Westcliffe, CO

#190074 Dec 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Your post does not flatter you.
Your opinions about drugs are typical for someone who has learned to trust the wrong people and accepted on faith the values of a decaying culture, one that wages a profitable and unjust war on its citizens.
The fact that you treat all illicit drugs as equivalent - just like the legal system - is evidence of that. People who think for themselves and make critical judgments make distinctions between substances like pot and substances like cocaine, heroin and methamphetamine.
I am quite familiar with drugs and druggies.

Pot is fine if use is limited to grown adults. Purveyors of the manufactured kind should be shot summarily if caught with them in possession.

DRUGS RUIN CHILDREN.

#190075 Dec 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What a bunch of wimps. If you didn't whine so much you wouldn't have had such a breeze.
Yes well tell that the people it KILLED

I think that you will fine that it’s more than a ruined day it’s a ruined LIFE You insensitive moron
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#190076 Dec 6, 2013
Noddy made it to France, but the joke doesn't translate because Big Ears became Potiron (pumpkin).

http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Non-non-oui-...

This is my favourite Noddy joke.

<quoted text>
I had to research that to get your joke. I hadn't heard of Noddy or Big Ears before your post. As far as I know, this story never got to the States.
No comment:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ID1HJDRGf7w/UTWFY3V...
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#190077 Dec 6, 2013
IKEA giveth... and IKEA taketh away.

(Although I suspect you may have got your furniture from somewhere nicer)
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
There will be quite a lot of it to do, I have not even checked my garden furniture, for all I know it could be in Sweden now.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#190078 Dec 6, 2013
I move in nicer circles.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I am quite familiar with drugs and druggies.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#190079 Dec 6, 2013
<quoted text>
That's not a fact.
There is no law except physical law governing the behavior of matter, psychological and moral imperatives governing self-behavior, and man made rules governing the behavior of individuals in societies.
There is no such thing as sin in in the religious sense - the violation of divine law - if there is no god giving laws. Religious law is merely the rules of priests posing as gods, and as such, has no authority over those not choosing to submit to it.
<quoted text>
What kind of justice is that?
What damage does such a belief do if people first learn justice from such a model?
If I understood him correctly, Buck told us that he thought that the Christian model damaged his sense of self-worth. Do you think that might have had an ill effect on his future? I was raised outside of religion, and was gifted with a strong sense of self-worth. It was a huge asset as I went through early life making choices.
How about children learning mercy from a model that describes a god that banishes people to hell forever without chance of forgiveness as merciful? Would you like such people on a jury judging you?
How about them learning love from this model, one that that defines love in terms of forgiving them for being human if they worship the perpetrator and victim of a blood sacrifice?
Could such ideas damage a nation if tens of millions of people are raised learning them first? Could they make people violent, vengeful, quick to judge, slow to forgive, and unsuccessful in their love relationships?
I realize that you have been taught to revere all of this, and consider these ideas sacred, inviolable, and beyond question.
But I was not, and I can look at this stuff critically. If you could, I suspect that you would see all of this as I do, and you would feel the way I do about it all: These are all very bad ideas that do a lot of harm to individuals and damage a culture.
so, those tendentious bastards caused a domino effect of complicated issues and human behavior?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#190080 Dec 6, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

Yes well tell that the people it KILLED
Tell the dead people?

They can't hear it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 20 min Eagle 12 7,692
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 20 min NoahLovesU 19,153
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 35 min The_Box 141
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr Thinking 2,248
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) Tue Reason Personified 166
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Tue Reason Personified 14,660
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) Mon NoahLovesU 7,514
More from around the web