Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#190097 Dec 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why thank you, scar.
That EM be some potent stuff, eh? And from a distance, too.
We have discussed this before,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lOWPzrVN1tQXX
I knew you'd dig on the dig, Dave.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#190098 Dec 6, 2013
*must be having a good hair day.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#190099 Dec 6, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Yes, it costs a lot. Families are devastated. And it costs the nation a lot. For example, it kind of makes a mockery of the phrase "land of the free." Were you aware that they've begun privatizing corrections? People are now making money when somebody is incarcerated. It's not hard to imagine what the effect of a policy like that would be: "The "kids for cash" scandal unfolded in 2008 over judicial kickbacks at the Luzerne County Court of Common Pleas in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. Two judges, President Judge Mark Ciavarella and Senior Judge Michael Conahan, were accused of accepting money from Robert Mericle, builder of two private, for-profit juvenile facilities, in return for contracting with the facilities and imposing harsh sentences on juveniles brought before their courts to increase the number of inmates in the detention centers. For example, Ciavarella sentenced children to extended stays in juvenile detention for offenses as minimal as mocking a principal on Myspace, trespassing in a vacant building, and shoplifting DVDs from Wal-mart."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_sc...
What is the cost of that?
LuciFerr wrote:
That's appalling. I have no words.
I agree.

What do you suppose the corporatocracy - corporate America and its puppet government - are doing about it? Do you think that is is as appalled as you, and is taking corrective action to put an end to this profitable but unjust practice?

These are the kinds of things that Americans need to take heed of. These are the clues that old ways of thinking need to be reexamined. It was reasonable to trust our government when we were young.

Americans are aware that there is an enemy afoot, but they have been misled into thinking that it is one of the political parties. Whether you identify with the Republicans or the Democrats, each citizen needs to notice that it is his entire government that is the problem. Both parties support this practice, along with dozens more policies like it, such as the war on drugs and the war on terror, which are also more profitable than just or reasonable.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#190100 Dec 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Saturnalia is one of many solstice holidays that has been bundled together under the name Christmas.
"Origins of Christmas Gift Giving: The Feast of Saturnalia"
http://voices.yahoo.com/origins-christmas-gif...
"Yule or Yuletide ("Yule time") is a religious festival observed by the historical Germanic peoples, later being absorbed into and equated with the Christian festival of Christmas."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule
What about festivus? Buck would ruin the feats of strength, physical that is

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#190101 Dec 6, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Marijuana is not a drug.
Here is a list of a few actual drugs, which are addictive and have long term side effects, some of which are very damaging to the brain, some can even kill you;
Lithium (legal)
Valium (legal)
Tobacco (legal)
Prozac (legal)
Alcohol (legal)
Xanax (legal)
Zyprexa (legal)
Vicodin (legal)
Methadone (legal)
..and the list goes on.. research, you'll see.
Illegal drugs;
Cocaine
Crystal Meth
LSD
Speed
Ecstasy
Heroin
There are more of those as well.
Marijuana is a natural plant, used by our less brain damaged ancestors as medicine, is not addictive, manages pain well and does not kill amongst other things. Hemp is also a great resource that if utilised would save trees and thus, oxygen.
As for children, one was cured of Leukaemia a few months ago, with the use of liquid THC.
Many are opting for Marijuana over Chemotherapy for Cancer as well and much to the chagrin of mind numbed sheep, it's working.
You might want to research that as well, as your hair allows of course.
Let me guess.

You're a druggie.

I've done 120 MPH on winding Texas roads smoking a doobie. The second or 3rd one that morning. Of some really good shit.

I know pot real well.

You don't let children smoke dope.

Fennario

#190102 Dec 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
the second you see private companies lobbying to increase their business in the way you described below, you have to start locking up their CEOs. It's the only way they'll learn how to be responsible citizens.
I would agree with you, but that advice presumes that the will to do the right thing and the power to do it can come together. I say that that ship has sailed.

There is zero chance of that happening if the government is the corporatocracy that I suggest it is rather than the democracy it would need to be to hold the captains of industry accountable.

I hope that I am wrong, but I don't see any evidence to make me think so. Let's see what happens. Maybe America will suddenly start doing the right thing after thirty-plus years of the opposite.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#190103 Dec 6, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I agree.
What do you suppose the corporatocracy - corporate America and its puppet government - are doing about it? Do you think that is is as appalled as you, and is taking corrective action to put an end to this profitable but unjust practice?
These are the kinds of things that Americans need to take heed of. These are the clues that old ways of thinking need to be reexamined. It was reasonable to trust our government when we were young.
Americans are aware that there is an enemy afoot, but they have been misled into thinking that it is one of the political parties. Whether you identify with the Republicans or the Democrats, each citizen needs to notice that it is his entire government that is the problem. Both parties support this practice, along with dozens more policies like it, such as the war on drugs and the war on terror, which are also more profitable than just or reasonable.
Democracies end after a couple hundred years because of these things. Those privatized jails are cheaper to run , anything the govt tries to do is highly inflated. egregious exceptions not withstanding.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#190104 Dec 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess.
You're a druggie.
I've done 120 MPH on winding Texas roads smoking a doobie. The second or 3rd one that morning. Of some really good shit.
I know pot real well.
a jizzum apostate

Location hidden

#190105 Dec 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>Let me guess.

You're a druggie.

I know pot real well.

Let me guess, you have no idea what I actually wrote and have decided to call me a "druggie" instead.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#190106 Dec 6, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> What about festivus? Buck would ruin the feats of strength, physical that is
Did I ever tell you about the time I lifted that houseboat?

We were young, and at the marine shop somebody's houseboat was sitting up on barrels.

Fountain and the owner bet me $20 I couldn't lift one end of it off the barrels.

It was just the right height to crouch under it like a dead lift in the gym, at which I was quite proficient.

I got under it and lifted it clear of the barrels.

Don't you know, Fountain then kicked one of the barrels out from under it.

I held it up as long as I could, while using most of my breath to cuss Fountain, but it eventually mashed me to the ground and sat on top of me.

Fountain and the owner laughed like hyenas.

Location hidden

#190107 Dec 6, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>a jizzum apostate
You forgot "ho", drongo.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#190108 Dec 6, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>

That's appalling. I have no words.
Thanks for the sympathy, Lucy.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#190109 Dec 6, 2013
There are a couple of prisons over here that may move to private management... but these same companies have been found to be mischarging the government for monitoring tagged individuals who are no longer tagged (some are even dead). This policy is on hold pending an investigation by the Serious Fraud Office.(As opposed to the Flippant Fraud Office?)

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/nov/04/se...
<quoted text>
I would agree with you, but that advice presumes that the will to do the right thing and the power to do it can come together. I say that that ship has sailed.
There is zero chance of that happening if the government is the corporatocracy that I suggest it is rather than the democracy it would need to be to hold the captains of industry accountable.
I hope that I am wrong, but I don't see any evidence to make me think so. Let's see what happens. Maybe America will suddenly start doing the right thing after thirty-plus years of the opposite.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#190110 Dec 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/hazstats/resources...
Annual weather deaths in USA.
We have very good building codes in the USA. Experience with wicked weather. Trailer parks are the chief cause of death on that front. You can't get away from having them.
You were whining about nature. Why do you believe man should be spared its effects?
Heartless, huh?
Hypocrite.
Your very good building codes still do not stop the weather destroying vast swathes of property and taking lives. I suppose you get what you pay for eh?

You mentioned the weather, and what a good job it was that the weather was not bad.

I respond that we had a storm yesterday and you went into a hateful jig for some strange reason.

Yup that’s what I said, you seem for have no compassion for people killed by the weather or their families.

Ahh heartess is hypocritical yet ruthless bastard is not – Are you a godbot by some chance?

#190111 Dec 6, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for clarifying, Christine.
I didn't know the UK used a different currency.
And I thought you were quantifying the damage in actual weight.
Again, thank you. I am fully deserving of your derision.
I don't know what I was thinking.
That’s a problem with you education then, luckily if you set you mind to it then perhaps you are capable of better things.

Consider this step one of that slow and long slope.

Fennario

#190112 Dec 6, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Pot is fine if use is limited to grown adults.
This is the first time that you have acknowledged any distinction between the various illicit drugs after a half dozen posts decrying the use of "drugs," including a litany of songs the first of which was about "reefer," and a derogatory comment about its users. This was your post, wasn't it?:
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =RovD-0Hze8AXX
Cab Calloway did that in 1932.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
There were lots of songs about drugs in the 20's and 30's.
Not very flattering about the users of them.
You also posted the following when I said that pot was safe, and that I didn't trust government reports about it:
Dave Nelson wrote:
Those links I posted about arrested development were done by professionals and are accepted as fact by the medical community and government. You have professed accepting such studies and findings as fact in everything else but in your own experience. You said you don't believe those things. I should not have to say anything more.

Location hidden

#190113 Dec 6, 2013
<quoted text>LuciFerr wrote, "That's appalling. I have no words."

I agree.

Divide and enslave?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#190114 Dec 6, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I agree.
This aligns you with the Tea Party movement.

Yeah, low blow.

Couldn't resist.

#190115 Dec 6, 2013
Thinking wrote:
There are a couple of prisons over here that may move to private management... but these same companies have been found to be mischarging the government for monitoring tagged individuals who are no longer tagged (some are even dead). This policy is on hold pending an investigation by the Serious Fraud Office.(As opposed to the Flippant Fraud Office?)
http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/nov/04/se...
<quoted text>
These flippant fraudsters get away with it far more than serious fraudsters. Perhaps because there is no flippant fraud office to investigate.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#190116 Dec 6, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
That’s a problem with you education then, luckily if you set you mind to it then perhaps you are capable of better things.
Consider this step one of that slow and long slope.
Thanks a million, Christine.

Tell me, along the same lines of my education, can I drive to the UK, or does getting there require a plane or a boat?

I hope you understand how much I appreciate your help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 9 hr Eagle 12 - 32,459
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 hr Science 78,741
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 20 hr Eagle 12 - 1,411
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Aug 12 Eagle 12 - 1,152
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web