Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#189861 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe his nut sac HVAC system is stuck open.
Mac Mucous claims men have those.
I don't. I have to cool my own nuts when they get hot.
Maybe I can get a Obama subsidy.
A hot nut sac subsidy.
Say that 3 times.
that that that
Bongo

Coram, NY

#189862 Dec 5, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't share your enthusiasm for either Perry or Texas, Buck, except maybe for Austin.
Conrad Murray is trying to get his license back, in Texas. I don't see to much of a problem there, they may even hire him.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189863 Dec 5, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
It’s a known fact that the Christmas Holidays presents a major influx of cash flow to business owners and the US economy. Including new car sales.
Yet some business refuse to put the word “Christmas” in any of their advertisements. One of those is Radio Shack. But they do substitute the word “Holiday.”
Interesting, because the word “Holiday,” is a derivative of the words “Holy Day.” Now the secret is out, what are they going to use instead of “Holiday?”
Anyway you look at it Christmas has it’s clutches on our economy. And it’s not going away. So if you’re a Scrooge. Enjoy the peace and quiet at home. Because the shopping malls are jammed packed.
Santa makes for better profits for greedy businesses.

I was at Target yesterday, they had a big "Merry Christmas" sign over the Christmas card section. Lowe's had a big "Merry Christmas" over the Christmas tree decorations section.

It's nice to see.

For Thanksgiving - Happy Thanksgiving.

For Christmas - Happy Holidays

For New Year - Happy New Year

Make nofucking sense.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#189864 Dec 5, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
I take my imaginary hat off to you, I haven't the patience, plus I think my pony tail is too severe today, might have to sort my hair out so I can think better.
Both of my parents were teachers.

Is that somehow heritable?

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#189865 Dec 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Both of my parents were teachers.

Is that somehow heritable?
Yes, through observation. You'd have to have that kind of nature as well though I think. Just my opinion of course.

The Borderland of Sol

#189866 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Did you mean the skin or the cartilage?
LOL. Sorry, man.
Hehehe.

I was gonna go with elephants, who use their ears as radiant cooling.

I guess Bucky knew that, since he didn't repond.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#189868 Dec 5, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Why be overly cynical of a message that alludes to man being very limited?
I am cynical of a message that prefers to berate mankind and takes pleasure in his failings. The only positive thing the church ever says about man is really a compliment to the god instead - that we were made in its image.
Bongo wrote:
If Jesus is the son of God, whatever he says and wants is of paramount importance.
And if he's not, then the Christian message has to be evaluated on its merit - is it fair and accurate, and is it constructive.
Bongo wrote:
Your description of our opinions is a little extreme.
Which part is not accurate?

"what the religion actually teaches ... how depraved mankind is, how horrible the world is, how horrible gays and unbelievers are, how wrong-headed science and scholarship are, and how sinful and rebellious freethinking and self-rule are"
Bongo wrote:
Jesus did show how the greatest is the least.
I see that as appeasing those at the bottom. You tell them that the greatest are the least and vice versa, that the wise are fools and vice versa, that the rich are poor and vice versa, etc.. You tell them to admire passivity, docility, and unquestioning obedience. They are called blessed for it.

What's in it for the people that buy into that?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#189869 Dec 5, 2013
Bongo wrote:
The "by the sweat of the brow" situation we've inherited is hard enough for healthy persons, how much harder for those encumbered with all the myriad adversity that affects us. Man, left to his own devices, will do a lot of damage to man.
And there it is again. Life is a shit sandwich, and every day is another bite, right?

"Man, left to his own devices, will do a lot of damage to man." Only man has made man's life better. Do you like your freedom and rights? Men created that. Do you like running water and electricity? Man did that, too.

If your god exists, he sits idly by.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#189870 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Now that we are getting along better, that could happen some day.
It'd be a hoot.

I'm just as lovable in person.

Location hidden

#189871 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
I disagree. The jury was incompetent:
"There was no scientific evidence, there was no eyewitness, there was no murder weapon, there was no believable motive," Morton says. "... I didn't see how any rational, thinking person would say that's enough for a guilty verdict." But with no other suspects, the jury convicted him. "We all felt so strongly that this was justice for Christine and that we were doing the right thing," says Mark Landrum, who was the jury foreman.
What you are implying is that without proof of innocence, it was appropriate for the jury to find a man guilty. The verdict should have been not guilty whether the prosecutor had exculpatory evidence to share or not.
And the penalty given that prosecutor turned judge was nauseating:
"The former prosecutor stepped down from his position as a judge and agreed to 10 days in jail. He then served only five of those days, under Texas laws involving good behavior behind bars. He also agreed to a $500 fine, 500 hours of community service, and the loss of his law license"
This judge took almost 25 years of freedom from another man and substituted 25 years of terror and despair. You just posted, "Paraphrasing Ron White, if you come to Texas and kill somebody, we will kill you back. Other states are re-thinking the death penalty, in Texas we're putting in an express lane. "If you want to murder somebody, go to California. They don't give a shit"
By that reckoning, this judge deserves 25 years in prison. It sounds like if you want falsely incarcerate somebody, go to Texas. They don't give a shit.
It's not limited to Texas.

Take the courts in Alabama,...please. Though in my case[s], I was always guilty.

I agree with everything you say here. My defense of the jury is only against outright corruption.

In almost all precincts, a jury will lean toward doing what a prosecutor asks them to do. It's because he has the facade of being on the side of justice.

Prosecutors and judges are bigger crooks than the crooks.

Location hidden

#189872 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
And there it is again. Life is a shit sandwich, and every day is another bite, right?
"Man, left to his own devices, will do a lot of damage to man." Only man has made man's life better. Do you like your freedom and rights? Men created that. Do you like running water and electricity? Man did that, too.
Oh?

Ideas don't always come from books.

Sometimes knowing is only in the head. Sometimes not.

Thomas Edison, who did a thing or two with electricity, would go for months without going to bed. He would fall asleep at his work desk while working on a project.

He learned to sit with ball bearings in his hand. When he drifted just into early sleep stage, the bearings would hit the floor, and he would wake up. According to him, this is when he got some of his best ideas.

You remember Mozart?
Bongo

Coram, NY

#189873 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>

<quoted text>
I see that as appeasing those at the bottom. You tell them that the greatest are the least and vice versa, that the wise are fools and vice versa, that the rich are poor and vice versa, etc.. You tell them to admire passivity, docility, and unquestioning obedience. They are called blessed for it.
Actually, its humbling those at the top.

The Borderland of Sol

#189874 Dec 5, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, through observation. You'd have to have that kind of nature as well though I think. Just my opinion of course.
Hmm. You may be right - I've taught electronics, firearms, and ESL.

Interesting thought.

The Borderland of Sol

#189875 Dec 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Santa makes for better profits for greedy businesses.
I was at Target yesterday, they had a big "Merry Christmas" sign over the Christmas card section. Lowe's had a big "Merry Christmas" over the Christmas tree decorations section.
It's nice to see.
For Thanksgiving - Happy Thanksgiving.
For Christmas - Happy Holidays
For New Year - Happy New Year
Make nofucking sense.
Happy Solstice, and a Merry Sunreturn to all.
Bongo

Coram, NY

#189876 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
wrong, well, im not that morose , many are, hence the multi billion pharma industry and illicit drugs. The usa has been instrumental in preventing world aniliation, much by weapon build up. Mankind and nature in general is wonderful, im happy to be born in such an age and have participated in much, in my work. God sits by as he foretold, till the proper time. We're Kinda like a patient writhing in agony ie kidney stone , while tests etc. are concluded.

Location hidden

#189877 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
I am cynical of a message that prefers to berate mankind and takes pleasure in his failings. The only positive thing the church ever says about man is really a compliment to the god instead - that we were made in its image.
<quoted text>
And if he's not, then the Christian message has to be evaluated on its merit - is it fair and accurate, and is it constructive.
<quoted text>
Which part is not accurate?
"what the religion actually teaches ... how depraved mankind is, how horrible the world is, how horrible gays and unbelievers are, how wrong-headed science and scholarship are, and how sinful and rebellious freethinking and self-rule are"
<quoted text>
My message to christians, when asked, is simple.

You were not born guilty. You are deficient in no way. The divine is a part of you, and it was in you before you were even born.

If christians learned that simple thing, religion would lose all it's meaning, because the religion is built on guilt and being held eternally responsible for things you had no part in.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#189878 Dec 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"Sunday School is worthless because there is no god" is equally 'forceful', wouldn't you say?
Nope not really because a godbot using threats to coerce the child from “straying from the flock” would never claim there was no god.

Location hidden

#189879 Dec 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Happy Solstice, and a Merry Sunreturn to all.
Peace on earth. Piss on you.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189880 Dec 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Happy Solstice, and a Merry Sunreturn to all.
And a Merry Christmas to you, Mr Irishman.

The Borderland of Sol

#189881 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Peace on earth. Piss on you.
Aaand there you go again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 10 min Eagle 12 2,271
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 5 hr Yiago 148
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 11 hr _Bad Company 141
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 11 hr thetruth 34
God' existence 11 hr thetruth 67
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) Fri _Bad Company 23,198
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists Fri Crazy Mess 1
More from around the web