Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256566 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#189971 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I was raised to think I was bad from birth. I had a full plate of things to feel shame for at an early age, and I perceived any attempt to discipline or correct me as a shaming of me. I felt exposed, found-out for what I really am - something unworthy, unlovable. I was an obstacle to everyone. I did what seemed the best defense, which was fight back. It hurt really bad inside to feel shame, so I opted to close the mouth of it by any means necessary. I don't recall ever telling this.
Do you think that Christian doctrine damaged you? I just don't see how this teaching could be good for anybody-

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#189972 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
What part of Missouri? I have a loved one who lives at the Missouri/Kansas line. Kansas City - Wichita area. She's somewhere thereabouts.
Southeast Missouri near the bootheel - Polar Bluff.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#189973 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't state "my beliefs" as factual.
What I stated as factual is that I have evidence.
You stated that I do not.
You are, as usual, wrong.
Not only are you wrong, you cannot even rightly state the question about which you go on to be wrong.
Would you like me to tell you why, Bert, that you are both wrong about the question, and wrong about the conclusion?
Huh?
OK, I'll tell you.
It's because you are a stupid sonuvabitch.
(The stupid is factual; sonuvabitch - educated guess)
"The *divine* is IN you, it was IN you before you were born" Says you!!!!

Prove the following..........DIVINE..... .....That this DIVINE is actually in you, or us.........That we existed before we were born..........and that this DIVINE was in us before we exited (born)

Don't do the friggin dance of the Christian fools like most, provide your evidence, or admit I was right, it is only something you imagined!!!!!!!!1

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#189974 Dec 5, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it's that time of year for the airing of grievances and the feats of strength.
Just need to put the aluminum pole in the corner (while the wife is off shopping). I wonder if it will last as long as it did last year...

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#189975 Dec 5, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Last year I did eight weeks jury service on this murder trial.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottingh...
Fascinating
Hello, Khatru! Good to 'see' you

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#189977 Dec 5, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, be prepared to look utterly foolish, provide the credible undisputed fact that we existed BEFORE we were born, and further provide the same credible and indisputable fact that anything "divine" was involved. Good Luck.
Notice I didn't even ask for scientific evidence, I knew you had no shot at that whatsoever.
No, you asked for a higher standard than scientific evidence.

"Credible undisputed fact"

There has never been an undisputed fact.

And that's not what you said earlier - your claim was about "evidence".

As always, you changed your story.

So go take a flying fuck at a rolling duck.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#189978 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
The unbelievers are likely to see a disconnect here. Are you not aware of the effect that hell theology has on impressionable and uncritical minds?
When my oldest son first asked ms about Hell, I was impressed with his answer.

"Dad, what's Hell?"

"According to the Bible, that's where people that don't believe in God go after they die, son."

"How do you know it's a real place?"

I answered him as honestly as I could:

"I don't know that, son. I believe it."

"I don't. It seems weird."

Lol

"That's ok, man. I expect you to find your own answers and your own way."

--

I never brainwashed or coerced my boys into God in any way, I hardly ever even took them to church.

But they believe nonetheless.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189979 Dec 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I was commenting on other drugs and how it makes people very repetitive.
I enjoy drink when with friends and family. It's not a selfish pursuit for me, it's something that should be shared.
<quoted text>
Agreed.

Drinking alone doth sucketh.

Location hidden

#189980 Dec 5, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Just need to put the aluminum pole in the corner (while the wife is off shopping). I wonder if it will last as long as it did last year...
Her shopping?

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#189981 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
From your link:
When a teen starts using drugs or alcohol, it literally creates a case of arrested development. Norton said the brain remains stuck at the level of maturity it was when drug use began.
"The theory is if they stop (using drugs) soon enough (before age 24 or so), there’s enough time for the brain to catch up," he said. But in reality, few people are able to beat addiction that quickly. So drug users are left permanently stunted. Norton calls it "the hijacking of the adolescent brain."
"Damage can start within a few months of starting substance abuse," he said. "The younger you are, the more vulnerable you become. And if you have a predisposition to or already have a mental illness,(substance abuse) will make it worse." The consequences to society are staggering.
=========
I don't believe anything that I read on this topic any more. The consequences of the War on Drugs are what is staggering.
Immature minds, which is why they aren't considered adults, are shaped by the hormonal chemicals their body produces and the chemicals they ingest.

Illicit drugs short circuits their brains, particularly in today's world where they spend their time among their peers. In more primitive times a teen could get drunk or stoned, but his old man or workplace made him toe the line and be responsible. They spent more time among mature men. They were forced to mature. Now they sit in their rooms or run with the pack.

It isn't the war on drugs, it is the change in society.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189982 Dec 5, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. again, the implication is clear ..
RR WROTE: "I also planted the idea in their heads that a bullet in the brain would be a bad thing."
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
.. when you write of your belief in hell, you are conveying the idea that unbelief in your God has its consequences hence it is a warning underscored by a threat to create fear ..
.. what else can a reader surmise ??..
But believing in God a also has it's consequences.

Everything we do or believe in has it's consequences.

We were discussing my views on Hell and how those views were brought to the attention of my boys. I've never used the "fire and brimstone" scary stuff with them about Hell. They've learned very, very little of it from me, they've found their own way, just as I have.

Just as you have.

Location hidden

#189983 Dec 5, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>"The *divine* is IN you, it was IN you before you were born" Says you!!!!
Prove the following..........DIVINE..... .....That this DIVINE is actually in you, or us.........That we existed before we were born..........and that this DIVINE was in us before we exited (born)
Don't do the friggin dance of the Christian fools like most, provide your evidence, or admit I was right, it is only something you imagined!!!!!!!!1
Your assertion was that I have no evidence that one existed before they were born, or their existence entails anything divine.

I said, "Actually, I do".

If you can't understand the disagreement here, I'm not much inclined to try and convince you of one side of that disagreement.

Talking to you is like playing "Who's on first".

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189984 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Do you think that Christian doctrine damaged you? I just don't see how this teaching could be good for anybody-
Basic Christian doctrine.

http://carm.org/basic-christian-doctrine

Very basic.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#189985 Dec 5, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I've had many great times in Ireland. Maybe it is you that has the problem with using alcohol correctly.
<quoted text>
St Paddy's Day is not a religious holiday in the USA. You will also see more Irishmen celebrating Cinco de Mayo than Mexicans.

I have no issues with alcohol. I hate the taste and I hate the hangovers. Plus I don't have to get drunk to be an idiot or drop inhibitions.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#189986 Dec 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I don't fear Hell because it poses no threat to me.

I am convinced that it exists.

I'm also convinced that some people fear it.

I'm not one of them.

I'm better than that.
No you're not.

Location hidden

#189987 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes.

But I blame no one. They gave me the best they knew.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#189988 Dec 5, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I never said it wasn't a threat.

I said it wasn't a threat to me.

I'm not dodging in and out of anything, I'm pointing out my beliefs.

Hope that helps.
It's a threat to your children.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#189989 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I got a letter from Glen Campbell.
It said, "By the time I get to Phoenix, she'll be rising".
Growing up in the early seventies saw my musical tastes veering towards Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Rory Gallagher, Jethro Tull, etc

Glen Cambell was generally considered uncool.

However, I've always had a soft spot for him and there's no denying he sang some great songs.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#189991 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =tPk11AugG4cXX
Good call!

Jackson Browne is a legend. I love it when he pairs up with David Lindley.

JB was also a great friend to Warren Zevon, who I really miss.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#189992 Dec 5, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:

You have something that you imagined, something you believe without evidence, that's NOT anything factual. Once again, I have no problem with your beliefs, but when you state them as factual, it's a little irrational.

New Age writes:
Is the position you take when you can't answer the question relating to "how much evidence is required to make something factual?"

I figured as much that you wouldn't answer it. Because you are biased.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 10 min Catcher1 9,374
Good arguments against Christianity 42 min Eagle 12 215
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 44 min Eagle 12 4,823
News Why I quit atheism 45 min Eagle 12 713
Christianity isn't based on... (Feb '10) 47 min Eagle 12 92
News Hitchens, Dawkins and Harris are old news - a t... 50 min Eagle 12 71
Atheism is a mental illness 59 min Eagle 12 14
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 1 hr Eagle 12 21,188
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Eagle 12 18,576
More from around the web