Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#189955 Dec 5, 2013
I've had many great times in Ireland. Maybe it is you that has the problem with using alcohol correctly.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
America became the depository for the world's drunks, particularly the Irish.
The huddled masses weren't the creme de la creme of the home countries. Alcoholics beget alcoholics. Opportunists opportune.
A melting pot of "spirits" and desperations.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#189956 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not limited to Texas.
Take the courts in Alabama,...please. Though in my case[s], I was always guilty.
I agree with everything you say here. My defense of the jury is only against outright corruption.
In almost all precincts, a jury will lean toward doing what a prosecutor asks them to do. It's because he has the facade of being on the side of justice.
Prosecutors and judges are bigger crooks than the crooks.
Last year I did eight weeks jury service on this murder trial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottingh...

Fascinating

Cambridge, UK

#189957 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh?
Ideas don't always come from books.
Sometimes knowing is only in the head. Sometimes not.
Thomas Edison, who did a thing or two with electricity, would go for months without going to bed. He would fall asleep at his work desk while working on a project.
He learned to sit with ball bearings in his hand. When he drifted just into early sleep stage, the bearings would hit the floor, and he would wake up. According to him, this is when he got some of his best ideas.
You remember Mozart?
I remember Mozart.

I got a letter from him last week.

It said "By the time you read this I'll be dead".

Cambridge, UK

#189958 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. I would, and have, said it is evil.
I don't mean to say people and churches are evil.
But the concept is evil.
I was raised to think I was bad from birth.
I had a full plate of things to feel shame for at an early age, and I perceived any attempt to discipline or correct me as a shaming of me. I felt exposed, found-out for what I really am - something unworthy, unlovable. I was an obstacle to everyone.
I did what seemed the best defense, which was fight back. It hurt really bad inside to feel shame, so I opted to close the mouth of it by any means necessary.
I don't recall ever telling this.
One from the heart, Buck.

Thanks for sharing.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#189959 Dec 5, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
As you note, ice storm are beautiful - but devastating.
There is one floating into my last American home right now. We have been commiserating with our Missourian friends on Facebook over the last 12-24 hours.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/05/us-...
What part of Missouri?

I have a loved one who lives at the Missouri/Kansas line.

Kansas City - Wichita area.

She's somewhere thereabouts.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#189960 Dec 5, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember Mozart.
I got a letter from him last week.
It said "By the time you read this I'll be dead".
I got a letter from Glen Campbell.

It said, "By the time I get to Phoenix, she'll be rising".

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#189961 Dec 5, 2013

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#189962 Dec 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.gainesvilletimes.co m/archives/5096/
All Topix atheists that didn't start using drugs or alcohol in their teens, don't raise your hand.
From your link:

When a teen starts using drugs or alcohol, it literally creates a case of arrested development. Norton said the brain remains stuck at the level of maturity it was when drug use began.

"The theory is if they stop (using drugs) soon enough (before age 24 or so), there’s enough time for the brain to catch up," he said. But in reality, few people are able to beat addiction that quickly. So drug users are left permanently stunted. Norton calls it "the hijacking of the adolescent brain."

"Damage can start within a few months of starting substance abuse," he said. "The younger you are, the more vulnerable you become. And if you have a predisposition to or already have a mental illness,(substance abuse) will make it worse." The consequences to society are staggering.

=========

I don't believe anything that I read on this topic any more. The consequences of the War on Drugs are what is staggering.

Fennario

#189963 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
You have no fear of people you care about ending up there? And fear had nothing to do with you taking steps so that it poses no threat to you? That's not believable. Further, "I'm better than that" is not even the Christian source of security from Hell. The actual teaching is that you are not better than that, but have only had grace applied to pardon you from your non-better-ness.
Well said.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#189964 Dec 5, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
One from the heart, Buck.
Thanks for sharing.
:-)

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#189965 Dec 5, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Last year I did eight weeks jury service on this murder trial.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottingh...
Fascinating
One advantage of my resume - no jury duty.

Fennario

#189966 Dec 5, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
My father ran apricot brandy during Prohibition for a while.
Thanks, Dave.

Have you heard about vaginal knitting?

"I'm spending 28 days knitting from wool that I've inserted in my vagina"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/04/vagi...

Fennario

#189967 Dec 5, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
If there is a hell, he has a good chance of ending up there. I forget which circle, but there's one for that sort of person.
Maybe it will be a knitting circle.

Fennario

#189968 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Hey Doc, do you have me explain my brilliant points just to put a rhetorical tarnish on their seemingly obvious brilliance? I'm trying to decide if you're that smart, or you're kinda' stumbling into it.
B.

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#189969 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Very well, thank you. Life is good. I hope it is for you as well.
I can't complain.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#189970 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't state "my beliefs" as factual.
What I stated as factual is that I have evidence.
You stated that I do not.
You are, as usual, wrong.
Not only are you wrong, you cannot even rightly state the question about which you go on to be wrong.
Would you like me to tell you why, Bert, that you are both wrong about the question, and wrong about the conclusion?
Huh?
OK, I'll tell you.
It's because you are a stupid sonuvabitch.
(The stupid is factual; sonuvabitch - educated guess)
Ok, be prepared to look utterly foolish, provide the credible undisputed fact that we existed BEFORE we were born, and further provide the same credible and indisputable fact that anything "divine" was involved. Good Luck.

Notice I didn't even ask for scientific evidence, I knew you had no shot at that whatsoever.

Fennario

#189971 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I was raised to think I was bad from birth. I had a full plate of things to feel shame for at an early age, and I perceived any attempt to discipline or correct me as a shaming of me. I felt exposed, found-out for what I really am - something unworthy, unlovable. I was an obstacle to everyone. I did what seemed the best defense, which was fight back. It hurt really bad inside to feel shame, so I opted to close the mouth of it by any means necessary. I don't recall ever telling this.
Do you think that Christian doctrine damaged you? I just don't see how this teaching could be good for anybody-

Fennario

#189972 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
What part of Missouri? I have a loved one who lives at the Missouri/Kansas line. Kansas City - Wichita area. She's somewhere thereabouts.
Southeast Missouri near the bootheel - Polar Bluff.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#189973 Dec 5, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't state "my beliefs" as factual.
What I stated as factual is that I have evidence.
You stated that I do not.
You are, as usual, wrong.
Not only are you wrong, you cannot even rightly state the question about which you go on to be wrong.
Would you like me to tell you why, Bert, that you are both wrong about the question, and wrong about the conclusion?
Huh?
OK, I'll tell you.
It's because you are a stupid sonuvabitch.
(The stupid is factual; sonuvabitch - educated guess)
"The *divine* is IN you, it was IN you before you were born" Says you!!!!

Prove the following..........DIVINE..... .....That this DIVINE is actually in you, or us.........That we existed before we were born..........and that this DIVINE was in us before we exited (born)

Don't do the friggin dance of the Christian fools like most, provide your evidence, or admit I was right, it is only something you imagined!!!!!!!!1

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#189974 Dec 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes, it's that time of year for the airing of grievances and the feats of strength.
Just need to put the aluminum pole in the corner (while the wife is off shopping). I wonder if it will last as long as it did last year...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 2 hr Rosco 1,158
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 11 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,461
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 15 hr Science 1,412
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 15 hr Dogen 78,757
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... (Jan '17) Aug 5 yehoshooah adam 4,381
More from around the web