Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

Since: Apr 12

Orlando but NYC born & raised

#189504 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I use "flic".
So sue me.
I prefer:
Never approach a horse from the rear,
A bull from the front,
Or a fool from any direction.
Okay- so you not only try to change the meaning of words, you deliberately misspell words for which there is no acceptable misspelling.

So how do you keep from approaching YOURSELF, you FOOL?

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#189505 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, I'm using the word brainwashing in Avery loose sense.
I fully understand that brainwashing is typically seen as forcible indoctrination of an idea. I don't literally mean that football-fan dads force their sons to like football no more than religious parents force their kids to love God.
.. indoctrination is a teaching method, a mind control technique, a rudimentary, effective form of force ..

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#189506 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OCB has spoken.
No....it was YOU who spoke yesterday and conceded that your god is not omnipotent.

It's all good.....

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#189507 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm getting all choked up inside.
Wanna hug so the left wing liberal freethinking agnostics here can start a homophobe rant?
Actually it was you who started the homophobe rant. Me, I juts followed your lead…

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#189508 Dec 3, 2013
Catcher 1 wrote:
Not mine. Unless you consider teaching the values of integrity, compassion, fairness and dignity to be brainwashing.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Either way, it's a form of brainwashing.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
The word "brainwashing" connotes a self-serving or malevolent intent, generally to enlist the cooperation of somebody to serve the interests of others against his own. It's not helpful to also use this word to describe what we would consider loving instruction done in the service of the one being taught.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Of course, I'm using the word brainwashing in Avery loose sense. I fully understand that brainwashing is typically seen as forcible indoctrination of an idea. I don't literally mean that football-fan dads force their sons to like football no more than religious parents force their kids to love God.
Then you really had no point, correct?

Good post.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#189509 Dec 3, 2013
<quoted text>
I see you're scrubbing your religion clean again.
Christianity is what we see in the world, not what you wish it would be, and not what it claims for itself.
After you're done excluding all of the worst aspects of Christianity - the worst ideas, the worst people, and the worst atrocities - what do you have left that you can credit your religion and its church with? You've got a residual of nice people doing kind things, which we have without religion, and very possibly in a higher fraction than without church intervention.
What if all of the money Christians give to their churches went to the needy instead of to those churches, where less than 7% gets to them as best you and I were able to discern when we looked into this on another thread?
You want to take that kernel of goodness in the church and call it Christianity, discarding the rest. I say that Christianity not only isn't the reason for that, but that it works to corrupt that goodness with bad ideas and bad examples.
The best Christians I know are the ones with the least religiosity, whereas the more fervently they embrace what the religion actually teaches, the more extreme and antisocial they become. They're the ones that talk about how depraved mankind is, how horrible the world is, how horrible gays and unbelievers are, how wrong-headed science and scholarship, and how sinful and rebellious freethinking and self-rule are. The more of these kinds of ideas that you buy into, the worse person you are.
That's the contribution of Christianity is as I see it. The best Christians are actually embracing secular humanist values.
http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php/12
I understand your animosity(or is it hatred?) towards Christian churches.

But churches do far more good than you give them credit for.

In any case, I respect your opinion.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189510 Dec 3, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
No you weren’t, this is truth, in fact you volubly accused Bob of being homophobic after “you” had proclaimed you were going to pull “your” pants down for butt cheek (buck crick) for some reason, it did make people wonder.
Depends on where you are doing the mooning. There used to be a bar in Manchester called the long bar,(may still be there) and the Flying Handbag in Blackpool (I am sure there are others) where mooning is not recommended for a straight guy.
Sure.

But mooning people on Topix is perfectly safe.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#189511 Dec 3, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. indoctrination is a teaching method, a mind control technique, a rudimentary, effective form of force ..
It is often very subtle...such as...

"If you don't go to Sunday School,you'll grow up to be bad
If you don't go to Sunday School you'll surely wish you had
If you hope some day to see the Lord,then you better start today
For those who miss the Sunday School,are on the downward way"

As a child...that simple Sunday school song fairly well kept me in line.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189512 Dec 3, 2013

I'm not sure what your point was, but it seemed to me that you were saying that the you suspected that the hateful Christians that you don't approve of - "trolls" - were actually non-Christian impostors parodying Christians, which is what calling them "poes" implies.
Yes, that's exactly what I was implying.
If that's not what you were saying, maybe you could tell us how the point that you say I misunderstood differs from that.
And please try to cooperate by answering the question actually asked in one or two tries. I will not do a dozen posts trying to get you to answer to this simple and straightforward question. My intention, should things go that way, is to point out that that is what is happening, make a comment about rolling boulders uphill, and abandon the discussion.
You've already figured it out, IANS.

It is my contention that some of the so-called Christian posted on Topix are not Christians at all, but atheists posing as Christians to denigrate Christianity.

I would think it likely that the reverse is true, too.

Seems like a total waste of time.

Fennario

#189513 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Churches drive me nuts when they do that kind of stuff.
Maybe they're not really churches, but atheists pretending to be in church to make Christians look bad.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
See? I told you that you misunderstood. It's ok. It happens.
No, I don't see. It's still unclear what you were trying to say. Let's see if you clarify it in your answer to my request that you do so.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189514 Dec 3, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>
1. You don't think.
2. You're a sheeple; sheeple don't think.
3. Nope- I'm not obsessive about anything and certainly not about Topix which isn't even your home AWAY from home; rather, your actual home is your AWAY from home; Topix is where you actually LIVE because you are.....OBSESSIVE and you are OBSESSED with Topix.
And because you are of such low caliber, you set your sights low and for you, Topix represents a full and productive way of LIFE.
Topix matters to you because you are OBSESSED with it and so much so that you post on average 80 times a day.
THAT is what you SHOULD be thinking about if thinking was actually an option for you.
You've proven countless times over that it is NOT.
Again, sorry for your luck.
Rant on, dude.

Continue not being obsessive.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189515 Dec 3, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
What is homophobic about hygiene, do you think that clean sex is gay?
Because you're assuming dirty butt sex.

You don't know if I'd douche first....

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#189516 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure.
But mooning people on Topix is perfectly safe.
Whatever turns you on…

Sounds like you consider dropping your pants and lying to be preferable to your god

Fennario

#189517 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Lol It's so damn cute when atheists reach for their Bible to make their point. I love it!
It's not nearly as cute when Christians do it.

By the way, you just made the list again, number [36]:

REASONS GIVEN ON TOPIX WHY SKEPTICS AREN'T QUALIFIED TO COMMENT ON THE BIBLE

[1] I took the scripture out of context. It means something other than what it says (context and implied meaning never supplied).
[2] I don't understand literary criticism
[3] It's an allegory, not literal.
[4] It's literal, not an allegory.
[5] Scripture is only transparent to those with a child's perspective
[6] Scripture is only transparent to biblical scholars
[7] I am not filled with the Holy Spirit
[8] That's the mystery of it all. "God works in mysterious ways"
[9] Man's mind is too puny to grasp the immensity of God's truth and justice.
[10] You were obviously never a "true christian"
[11] You don't have enough faith. You have to believe to understand.
[12] You can’t criticize the bible because you don’t believe or understand it.
[13] Why do we think we can pretend to know God?
[14] Scripture always interprets scripture
[15] Ever heard of biblical hermeneutics?
[16] You are not TRULY with truth and sincerity seeking God.
[17] You have to know how to translate Hebrew and Greek
[18] You are using a completely unsupportable transliteration of Scripture
[19] You have clearly not studied the ancient peoples who wrote those things or you would not come up with the conclusions you have.
[20] It takes humility to understand the Bible
[21]“Stop scripture mining."
[22] You have to be familiar with the technical terminologies in the bible before you can comprehend it.
[23] Even Satan can quote scripture.
[24] In any other field, like medicine, engineering, technology, electronics, software, computer, unless you have qualifications and experience, you are not allowed to open you mouth.
[25] You have no reference in the knowledge of God to know our experience in Christ Jesus. The Word has to be embedded in one's heart, and that can come from God only.
[26] You're asking me to give you a four year bible study course on Topix?
[27] Dont fall in the trap of being a one verse wonder. You need to understand the passage and true meaning of the verse.
[28] You're only making a fool out of yourself trying to argue over something that you are not Blessed to understand.
[29] When you read scripture, one has to discern WHO that particular verse was written to..The believer or the Non believer. If we cant understand that then YES, the bible would seem to be very contradicting.
[30] A doctor, lawyer, scientist, or engineer are so used to reading their professional documentation literally, that metaphor, allegory, parables, hyperbole, and analogies are like another language unto themselves.
[31] You are not bright or educated enough to spew against Bible
[32] I would question the person who thinks that you understand even one page of any Bible. Without first learning the language how could you.
[33] Your arguments are so full of errors and misconceptions I don't even wanna touch it.
[34] You and others like you can't understand because you're not permitted to unless/until you repent and confess Christ as LORD.
[35] The power of the gospel is designed to frustrate the wisdom of the wise.
[36] It's so damn cute when atheists reach for their Bible to make their point. I love it!

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#189518 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your animosity(or is it hatred?) towards Christian churches.
But churches do far more good than you give them credit for.
In any case, I respect your opinion.
So you think one can have animosity for an inanimate object or building such as a church??

IANS made it quite clear that his animosity is toward Christians and NOT the buildings in which they worship.

And buildings themselves do good? I mean, other than providing shelter and indoor space, that is.....

Sure, RR- SOME Christians do good. So WHAT? More Christians do far more BAD than YOU give them "credit" for.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189519 Dec 3, 2013
OCB wrote:
<quoted text>Okay- so you not only try to change the meaning of words, you deliberately misspell words for which there is no acceptable misspelling.
So how do you keep from approaching YOURSELF, you FOOL?
Remember when you tried 'teaching' me the correct spelling of "whoa"?

I didn't care then and I don't care now.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189520 Dec 3, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree.

Indoctrination is a teaching method, yes.

But I don't see it in any way a forceful teaching method.

It's up to the pupil to decide if they want to listen to the teacher.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189521 Dec 3, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it was you who started the homophobe rant. Me, I juts followed your lead…
Well, that's what followers do....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189522 Dec 3, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Then you really had no point, correct?
Good post.
PotatOH, potAto...

OCB

“What a GLORIOUS day!!!”

#189523 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Rant on, dude.
Continue not being obsessive.
So you consider posting to be rants and to post to other posters to be obsessive.

Why are you here?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Even Steven 1,049
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 2 hr Ooogah Boogah 14,456
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 13 hr thetruth 29
Young atheists: The political leaders of tomorrow 13 hr thetruth 6
Why Christians should stick up for atheists 13 hr thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Thu QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed Richardfs 1,423

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE