Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#189396 Dec 2, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about the Haldol program, but I totally agree that religion often qualifies as a mental illness.
I honestly think that we would be better off with no religion at all than trying to weed out the bad from the harmless.

I would gladly "go to Hell" if it made the world a better, safer place for all mankind.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#189397 Dec 2, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Well said.
Thanks, Buck.

Fennario

#189398 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Because they're so obviously non-Christian
Our definitions of "Christian" must be very different. My definition doesn't depend on them not being hateful. Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are/were about as Christian as you can get, and both were very hateful.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I know you want Christians to be hateful.
No, I'd rather they weren't. Why would anybody want Christians to be hateful?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Maybe some of them are you masquerading as a Christian, to further denigrate Christianity.
You seem to think that Christians are good people because they're Christian, and that what appear to be bad Christians are unbelievers trying to make Christians look bad.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#189399 Dec 3, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. Secular Humanists, Atheists and Agnostics have torn a page from the "GLBT Handbook" and they're coming out of the closet ..
Yes, indeedy.
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. the claim that 'your kind' are ruining America is the same strategy used against the Irish and, currently, Hispanics ..
.. to maintain the status quo, it's the standard modus operandi of any oppressor wanting to maintain power ..
We're very used to it:

"No, I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God.”– George H. W. Bush

Fennario

#189400 Dec 3, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
What were the odds Jesus would be born on 0 B.C. and 0 A.D.? That's a miracle in itself.
How about Lou Gehrig getting Lou Gehrig's disease of all things? That's gotta be long odds.

Fennario

#189401 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You use all powerful and omnipotent as if they're the same thing. Which one do you want to discuss?
Omnipotent is literally all-powerful in Latin:

omnipotent (adj.) from Latin omnipotentem ... "all-powerful, almighty," from omnis "all" (see omni-)+ potens (genitive potentis) "powerful"
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php...

What distinction are you making. and why?

Fennario

#189402 Dec 3, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
When I worked for law enforcement I would occasionally get a phone call from someone asking if they had a warrant outstanding on themselves. By law I couldn’t answer that question over the phone. I would encourage them to come down and show me ID. Of course they had to walk through a electronic controlled door. Once inside the box and if they had a warrant they were trapped,[laughing].
Yikes. Imagine getting arrested going down to the police station with ID to ask them if they had a warrant for your arrest, and not being able to foresee a bad outcome doing that.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#189403 Dec 3, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>...
You seem to think that Christians are good people because they're Christian, and that what appear to be bad Christians are unbelievers trying to make Christians look bad.
That would make RR an atheist pretending to be a Christian.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#189404 Dec 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Omnipotent is literally all-powerful in Latin:
omnipotent (adj.) from Latin omnipotentem ... "all-powerful, almighty," from omnis "all" (see omni-)+ potens (genitive potentis) "powerful"
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php...
What distinction are you making. and why?
RR has a habit of stepping in his own sh!t then licking it off his shoes and calling it chocolate.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#189405 Dec 3, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>As regards hearing, I got lucky.
I was a firearms instructor for over a decade, but the hearing protection thing was mandatory. Even 20-odd years ago.
According to my last test, I can still hear up to 18,000 Hertz.
And I'm in my latish 50s.
Yeah, I wish hearing protection was more public, back in the 70's.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#189406 Dec 3, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that past a certain quality, the problem of diminishing returns increases. Cables are more system dependent on your choice of front end components and speakers; sometimes the magic happens - sometimes it doesn't. To put it bluntly, wires are a huge pain in the arse, but they can make a big difference in the final result. I also agree that some people will "force" themselves to hear things that may not be apparent in reality, owing to the fact they laid out big money for their purchase. The flip side to that is I've had the cheapest speaker wires/interconnects in my bedroom system that I've ever owned ($75.00 speaker wire,$150.00 interconnects) for about three months now, and they sound more natural than my $900.00 speaker wire and $600.00 interconnects which they replaced. I was predisposed to dislike them because of the way they look and the cheap price, but I have to grudgingly admit, they're the better of the two. The company that makes them have radically different ideas on how cables should be made, and they're definitely on to something. Bottom line, I should not have been able to override my bias that they're not audiophile quality, but they improved the sound in every parameter that's important, so I'm keeping them.
Interesting.

Obviously, it's not quite as simple as merely an electrical circuit.

So many variables. Back in the 80's when I was really into this stuff, they had something called a "pink noise generator" to help you adjust your equalizer settings.

Do they still use things like that? In those days, everything was analog, nary a digital *anything* in sight.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#189407 Dec 3, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You absolutely nailed it Dave. I really can't add much, since you already covered everything I was going to say. Wireless has a long way go. From what admittedly little I've heard, I've walked away unimpressed. They all sound clipped in the extremes, rolled off treble and subdued base, not very satisfying. If more high-end manufactures join the game, things are bound to improve, whether that will happen is still unknown. Btw, I've always found solid-core cable more musical than stranded cable.
Solid wire is what the power companies prefer when practical-- the physics of the electrical flow is such that most of the current is carried right at the surface of the wire, rather than the core.

Stranded wire seems to disrupt this naturally smooth flow, which is one (of several) reasons why stranded is slightly larger for the same wire gauge as solid.

Interestingly enough, the super-high voltages for "cross country" power delivery, the main wires are hollow tubes (or so they tell me).

As for audio, the voltages are quite low as compared to electrical power delivery, which *start* at a nominal 120v (in the USA).

I sometimes wonder if higher voltages would give more efficient audio systems.

Fennario

#189409 Dec 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Sure, it's Dave Nelson. Yes, he is as empty as Eagle and Redneck and yes, he is far more pretentious on a pseudo intellectual level. But I have a sense of pity for a helpless, lonely old guy; I can't feel any pity for the other two, who are so full of their "knowledge" that they have the truth, and that we are missing out. I also see their attitude as reflecting a need for confirmation of their so meager life. I just have a thing about ignorance; can't deal with it.

[QUOTE who="Dave Nelson"]Your difficulties with ignorance is noted. By some of us. There are about 653 people reading the entire Top Stories forum, of which this is but one. Hardly a worthy venue for you to display your ignorance issues when there are more visible venues for your talent to be displayed. I appreciate your pity, but would appreciate your sending money and some young pussy to help me spend it even more. Such would get my lonely old self off of here and probably eliminate my display of pseudo intellect, leaving the forum wide open for yours.
Nice post Dave. Your inner beauty shines through.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Your "logic" assumes the universe poofed out of nothingness all on it's own. Without evidence. Imagine that.
Catcher1 wrote:
IANS. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. The emptiness, the haughty attitude, the endless repetition of "imagine that" (or "go", or other blather), the grammatical ignorance.
I'll see your Riverside Redneck and raise you a Dave Nelson.

Fennario

#189410 Dec 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Not mine. Unless you consider teaching the values of integrity, compassion, fairness and dignity to be brainwashing.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Either way, it's a form of brainwashing.
The word "brainwashing" connotes a self-serving or malevolent intent, generally to enlist the cooperation of somebody to serve the interests of others against his own. It's not helpful to also use this word to describe what we would consider loving instruction done in the service of the one being taught.

In general, if you have two words and two ideas, it is better to let each word stand for one idea rather than have them both mean both things.

For example, we have the words "unbelief" and "disbelief," which are used more or less interchangeably, and the ideas of not accepting something as proven yet, and the idea of considering it wrong - two ideas that are continually being confused in this thread. Wouldn't it be conducive to clearer thought if we made a clear distinction between these two ideas and gave them each one of the two words?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#189411 Dec 3, 2013
<quoted text>Nice post Dave. Your inner beauty shines through.

RiversideRedneck wrote, "Your "logic" assumes the universe poofed out of nothingness all on it's own. Without evidence. Imagine that."

Catcher1 wrote, "IANS. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. The emptiness, the haughty attitude, the endless repetition of "imagine that" (or "go", or other blather), the grammatical ignorance."

I'll see your Riverside Redneck and raise you a Dave Nelson.
If I was a gambler I'd put my money on Dave.

Fennario

#189412 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Churches drive me nuts when they do that kind of stuff.
Maybe they're not really churches, but atheists pretending to be in church to make Christians look bad.

Fennario

#189413 Dec 3, 2013
OCB wrote:
Ahem....that would be: Your difficulties with ignorance *are* noted. Difficulties = are, Difficulty = is. I mean....it's kind of silly to start a post talking about the ignorance of the person you're posting to when....well, you know the rest.
That's our Dave. It won't be long before he starts sharing his secrets to living a full life.
LCNLin

United States

#189414 Dec 3, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I wish hearing protection was more public, back in the 70's.
You are deaf to more than rational arguments.
Must be a difficult life?
Peace

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#189415 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're fantasizing about me again?
Nope, Is just gleaned from the impression you give while vomiting your hatred of disability here on topix.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#189416 Dec 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I lied for the joke, not *for* God.
You crazy woman.
Same thing, here let me explain my logic.

1 You used your chauvinistic perversion and wild sexual imaginings to lie about my body.

2 You claim to be a good christian and therefore you do what you do for your god.

It follows that you lied for your god, logical argument.

But at least you admit you lied, that’s is a big step for a perfect christian to make.

You may consider that lying insults made in the name of your god to be jokes, you have used this excuse for your obnoxious (and often threatening) mouthings before so that too follows that you are not a good christian by a long, long way but are in fact nothing more than a hypocritical liar, and now you admit it.

I find it so funny that you “claim” to be a christian with the morality that implies yet the babble states categorically, and repeated in at least 100 verses that lying is hated by your god. He objects to lying in the strongest possible way, by barring liar’s from entering his heaven. Just something for you to think on as your time draws closer to its end.

Here are a few examples for you to consider.

Proverbs 6:16-19
Proverbs 19:9
Proverbs 24:28
1 John 2:4
Revelation 21:8
Psalm 58:3

And many, many more. Such a good christian you are not…

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 1 hr old_moose 163
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr Eagle 12 - 32,607
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr Eagle 12 - 80,071
what science will NEVER be able to prove 9 hr Eagle 12 - 10
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 9 hr Eagle 12 - 106
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 9 hr Eagle 12 - 69
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
More from around the web