Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#189175 Dec 2, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was a Christian, it was a Pentecostal church I attended. They called it a Full Gospel church. People spoke in tongues, although I never did.
Did they actually spontaneously speak real languages or did they just babble incoherently ?

They remind me of Voodoo "possessions" and "whirling dervishes".

Why do they use strychnine instead of cyanide ? No faith ?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#189176 Dec 2, 2013
<quoted text>
Remember the mental map. Mine says that snake handling is dangerous, and I live life accordingly.
Only certain snakes. I know several people who "take up serpents". Had a garter snake and a racer for pets as a kid.

BTW, the venomous snakes they use are not usually deadly to adults and each bite increases a human's resistance. Also, many of the snakes used are starving and die in captivity. Not much venom from a half dead snake.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#189177 Dec 2, 2013
That's from Christianity as well. Would you like to see some examples?
[1] "The fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good" - Psalm 14:1
[2] "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." - Revelation 21:8
[3]“Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?”- 2 Corinthians 6:14
[4] Who is the liar? It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ." - 1 John 2:22
spudgun wrote:
"sorcerers" Looks like Harry Potter and his chums are in trouble then :) So much for the "loving" Jesus. It turns out he wants to burn the mass of humanity for eternity in a lake of fire. Nice bloke (sarcasm).
The Christian bible calls unbelievers like us lying, corrupt, vile, abominable, godless vessels in the service of evil, not one of which does any good, and fit to be burned alive forever as the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers.

Do we have a legitimate gripe about that? It is written in the book that has had more copies than any other printed and given to anybody who will take one, and stuck in uncounted hotel and motel room.

Does it hurt us? Were you aware that atheists are the most despised demographic in America. From http://atheists.org/content/bigotry-worst-aga... :

"Bigotry Worst Against Atheists - The Ultimate Outsiders? New Report Casts Atheists "Others" Beyond Morality And Community In America - March 25, 2006

"A new study ... has found that Americans perceive Atheists as the group least likely to embrace common values and a shared vision of society. Researchers concluded: "Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in 'sharing their vision of American society.' Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry ... Disturbingly, Atheists are "seen as a threat to the American way of life by a large portion of the American public."

Christians sometimes ask me why we unbelievers can't mind our own business and just live and let live.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#189178 Dec 2, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>It must suck to worship a God that is not all powerful, logic dictates that a God who has serious limits to his powers could have NEVER created something as complex as the universe. Thanks for demonstrating to us all how foolish that belief really is.
Yes, I do know that information is in the bible, so is information regarding slavery, rape, blood sacrifice, genocide and infanticide, so I find it foolish to read about such immoralities, and if I want to read pure fiction, I have a wonderful assortment to choose from.
I don't worship the god you describe.

You are confused.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189180 Dec 2, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I can imagine your Sunday
Wake up get ready for church, set off, find a cripple to kick before giving your solicitations you your preacher and entering the hall of your god.
Kneel and pray and think you are the perfect christian. When you have had you fill of self satisfaction then head for home, find the cripple and give then another kick in gods name
Arrive home and turn on your computing device (or phone if you can’t afford one) and trawl topix looking for disability that you can mock.
End of a good days mocking get ready for bed and kneel for praying to explain to you god what a perfect christian your are.
You're fantasizing about me again?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189181 Dec 2, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Very good, you can actually look shit up. Now look up the opposite of skeptical. Then the opposite of delusional, critical thinking, and unsupported, get back to me!!!!
K

I'm back.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189182 Dec 2, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
More god dreaming? Or are you thinking of your wife?
Such a good christian you are
I just love the way a godbot has to lie for his god when they have nowhere else to go. So pathetic.
I lied for the joke, not *for* God.

You crazy woman.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189183 Dec 2, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Sure there is, there is plenty of information about Crom in Welch and Irish legends, if it's in a book it must be true right reddick?
So Legolas is real?!

Had I but known!

Fennario

#189184 Dec 2, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Your reading comprehension is reflective of your path following in life. Limited in scope to what you wish to see.
I aspire to your level of wisdom and expertise. You can't imagine how much I value your posts - both kinds.

Hey, Dave! It's check day! Thank God, huh?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189185 Dec 2, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Sigh..as far as science and everyone else on the face of the planet was concerned, DNA did not exist prior to 1869.........this is getting boring, dealing with uneducated rednecks that have trouble comprehending the simplest things.
You're right, I cant understand.

I cant understand why you think DNA didn't exist before it was discovered.

Call me crazy.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189186 Dec 2, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
I think you're on to something here, you claim your God owns you {{{SNIP}}}
I never made that claim.

Don't lie.

You didn't think.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#189187 Dec 2, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So Legolas is real?!
Had I but known!
The Tolkien literature is based on Teutonic Mythology, not Celtic.

You are proving to be a moron in almost every subject in the world.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#189188 Dec 2, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
Did they actually spontaneously speak real languages or did they just babble incoherently ?
I never understood the speaking in tongues thing, either. I've seen plenty of people do it, and it does seem like they're babbling incoherently.

Why do you have two put them down? There are not hurting anyone.

Fennario

#189189 Dec 2, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. on Topix, it seems some Christians go out of their way to denigrate anyone who doesn't believe like they do ..
They come by it honestly. It's in the Good Book.
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. America's highly politicized Evangelical Christians are neither acting or counseling others in the teachings of Jesus. Instead, they wish to define who God is and lecture 'sinners' on what He really wants ..
Jesus has nothing to do with it. He's been pretty much pushed out of the religion. He's not even invited to his own birthday party any more.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#189190 Dec 2, 2013
<quoted text>
When I was a Christian, it was a Pentecostal church I attended. They called it a Full Gospel church. People spoke in tongues, although I never did.
Glossolalia.

Very familiar with Full Gospel-ers.

A few years back, members around home started claiming the silver fillings in their teeth had turned to gold.

Preacher told congregation near us that he had a vision. In his vision, he told them, members went together and paid off all his credit cards.

One preacher the congregation if they voted him out, the Lord would give them all cancer.

Doc, if you were raised Pentecostal, ain't no wonder you hate the Christian stuff.

I hate the sonsubitches and I wasn't even in that click.

Might have to cut you some slack.

Location hidden

#189191 Dec 2, 2013
<quoted text>
What state was that in, if I may ask?

Location hidden

#189192 Dec 2, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>

The Christian bible calls unbelievers like us lying, corrupt, vile, abominable, godless vessels in the service of evil, not one of which does any good, and fit to be burned alive forever as the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers.
I don't hold with all that for you guys, Doc.

I leave off "godless" part.

Fennario

#189193 Dec 2, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
I find those two to be the most obnoxious ones, though. Perhaps not hateful, but so full of empty pretense to knowing something.
Neither Eagle nor Riverside Redneck bother me like they do you.

I'll bet that you can guess which poster gets my vote for being the most empty and pretentious. It's not Buck, who is a trifle pretentious, but not empty.

Location hidden

#189194 Dec 2, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Tolkien literature is based on Teutonic Mythology, not Celtic.
You are proving to be a moron in almost every subject in the world.
Way to Teut your own horn.

Location hidden

#189195 Dec 2, 2013
<quoted text>
They come by it honestly. It's in the Good Book.
<quoted text>
Jesus has nothing to do with it. He's been pretty much pushed out of the religion. He's not even invited to his own birthday party any more.
Well said.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 5 hr MUQ1 23,041
Former Atheist Academic Who Rejected God and Be... 6 hr Hooogle It 77
Evidence for God! 11 hr Uncle Sam 43
Heaven 11 hr susanblange 42
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 20 hr Ooogah Boogah 14,391
Our world came from nothing? Thu _Bad Company 1,103
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Wed Dally Mama 5,583

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE