Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256610 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#188961 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
According to you, there was no DNA prior to 1869.
According to research, the dinosaurs lived prior to 1869.
Utilizing your version of logic, the dinosaurs had no DNA.
Try this on for size, since the child in you needs special education........special ed, just for you.......There was NO KNOWLEDGE of DNA prior to 1869, so therefore AS FAR AS ANYONE KNEW DNA did not exist. Special Ed class over for the day!!!!
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#188962 Dec 1, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
So close and yet so far.
Chimps can’t design and build cars.
Or motorcycles.
Or computers.
Or ipods.
Or Ipads.
Or cell phones.
Or appliances.
Or brick homes.
Or nuclear reactors.
Or airplanes.
Or aircraft carriers.
Or ships.
Or…………………………
And your God can't build a human, a planet, a Star, a universe, or any of the things you have listed, your point?

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#188963 Dec 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Venter, his personnel, and his equipment - exactly what you might suspect.
Cute.

The original organic life. What synthesized that?

Venter didn't create synthetic life. He replaced parts in existing life.

IANS, you should realize that that whole process is way too complicated for it to arise from chance.

Rocky Ford, CO

#188964 Dec 1, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
This is the ONLY example of that I'd known of.
https://www.google.com/search...
This one with the broken topstrap and missing half a cylinder is what mine looked like. Double load, too. Seem to remember about 26 grains of Unique. It was a FULL case, as in packed a bit, That was almost 40 years ago. I'm surprised I survived my younger days.

http://www.handgunhunt.com/photopost/data/500...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#188965 Dec 1, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
So close and yet so far.
Or motorcycles.
Or computers.
Or ipods.
Or Ipads.
Or cell phones.
Or appliances.
Or brick homes.
Or nuclear reactors.
Or airplanes.
Or aircraft carriers.
Or ships.
Or…………………………
Or a wheelbarrow...

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#188966 Dec 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You can travel a million miles in a cardboard box and not see anything.
You missed the point. Their horizon, and the points in between, is much larger than yours on a day to day basis. They will notice more things and can tie them together better than you can.
You are in an office, in a book, in an airplane, or driving down a highway getting from here to there. They are more 360 degree oriented than you.
You don't want a myopic person scanning the sky for enemy aircraft.
A homeless guy that has been on the streets for years has seen more of life than you have. Many with the same level of intelligence.
At this stage in life, I am convinced the way to enlightenment would best be obtained by solitude. I have experienced a good bit of it.

Buck the monk, sorta'.

Finding myself, or "I am" is the highest learning.

“It is not true that everyone is special. It is true that everyone was once special and still possesses the ability to recover it.”
&#8213; Criss Jami

Location hidden

#188967 Dec 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Time to upgrade your faulty source, are you using the bible? LOL The source below is from the American Museum of Natural History
'The chimpanzee and another ape, the bonobo, are humans' closest living relatives. These three species look alike in many ways, both in body and behavior. But for a clear understanding of how closely they are related, scientists compare their DNA, an essential molecule that's the instruction manual for building each species. Humans and chimps share a surprising 98.8 percent of their DNA'"
FAILED........over and over again!!!!!!
98.8% is inaccurate, but it's academic.

It is only slightly more similar than our DNA is to that of caterpillars.

Location hidden

#188968 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
According to you, there was no DNA prior to 1869.
According to research, the dinosaurs lived prior to 1869.
Utilizing your version of logic, the dinosaurs had no DNA.
Bert Legume thinks dinosaurs had no DNA until scientists said so.

Nothing happens, to Bert, until science says so.

Lucky for him science discovered sexual reproduction, or he would still be a virgin.

...I maybe presumptuous there.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#188969 Dec 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
So you admit the bible is a worthless book, full of inaccurate translations , omissions and insertions?
That's what I said.

He doesn't get that.

I guess "ra" was the only word that was mistranslated.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188970 Dec 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Try this on for size, since the child in you needs special education........special ed, just for you.......
Well that was redundant, redundant it was.
There was NO KNOWLEDGE of DNA prior to 1869, so therefore AS FAR AS ANYONE KNEW DNA did not exist. Special Ed class over for the day!!!!
What, are they letting you go home?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188971 Dec 1, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Bert Legume thinks dinosaurs had no DNA until scientists said so.
Nothing happens, to Bert, until science says so.
Lucky for him science discovered sexual reproduction, or he would still be a virgin.
...I maybe presumptuous there.
Coming from a monk, I'd say yes - that was quite presumptuous.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188972 Dec 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So you have a God who is NOT omnipotent, he has limits on what he can do correct? How do you account for a God that has limits creating something as complex as the universe? What other limits does this God have? You must know as you have information that shows him to have definite limits. You have just given everyone with reason and logic more reason to doubt this God thing is capable of anything. You worship a flawed being, a being who is NOT all powerful.
God can't violate His nature any more than you can.

When you see a canyon, you can either walk away from it, cross the bridge or climb down it. You cannot fly over it because you will it to be.

God can't lie, can't break a promise, can't learn anything new, can't remember a time He didn't exist, can't remember forgiven sins, can't foresee a time He won't exist.

He also can't stop loving you.

No matter how much you hate Him.

Location hidden

#188973 Dec 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your analogy sucks, the fact that human knew about oxygen was that it's effects were observable. Choke someone, hold their head under water, deprive them of "air" in any way, and they die (observable) They had NO idea what oxygen was, what is was comprised of, only that without breathing death occurred, and thats all they knew. DNA is NOT observable, so thee could be no way they could have known about it prior to 1869. You failed once again!!!!! Boring!!!!!
DNA is not observable?

I'm learning so much from you, Bert.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188974 Dec 1, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
DNA is not observable?
I'm learning so much from you, Bert.
Bucko...

You missed his crescendo:

" You failed once again!!!!! Boring!!!!! "

Can you hear it?
IRYW

Allentown, PA

#188975 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God can't violate His nature any more than you can.
God can't lie, can't break a promise, can't learn anything new, can't remember a time He didn't exist, can't remember forgiven sins, can't foresee a time He won't exist.
Of course, this is true for all fictional characters.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#188976 Dec 1, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Good Gravy, you blew up a Ruger? A BLACKHAWK?
That takes erious effort.
Lucky you didn't lose a hand, or an eye, or both.
He like to make sht up, but we knew that right?

Rocky Ford, CO

#188977 Dec 1, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
At this stage in life, I am convinced the way to enlightenment would best be obtained by solitude. I have experienced a good bit of it.
Buck the monk, sorta'.
Finding myself, or "I am" is the highest learning.
“It is not true that everyone is special. It is true that everyone was once special and still possesses the ability to recover it.”
&#8213; Criss Jami
You have to have exposure to the wider world before you have something to work with.

Most people are born and hit the track and never see anything but the same old landscape while running in that circle. They can break a leg and escape it, and some have this inner urge to jump the fence to escape it.

Once you learn that is an electric rabbit you are chasing your perspective changes. Then you can find yourself, and not what you were trained to do.

I am a firm believer in universal conscription. Everyone 19 years of age spends two years in the military, which can encompass a wide variety of social services. Then off to college or whatever they want to do. They get off the block, get a breath of fresh air, are protected, and grow into maturity. Definitely helps break that juvie high social mentality you see displayed by so many Topix atheists.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#188978 Dec 1, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
So close and yet so far.
Or motorcycles.
Or computers.
Or ipods.
Or Ipads.
Or cell phones.
Or appliances.
Or brick homes.
Or nuclear reactors.
Or airplanes.
Or aircraft carriers.
Or ships.
Or…………………………
and………………………… That's why they got their cousin ...You to write Me in a letter asking me to do that..

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188979 Dec 1, 2013
IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, this is true for all fictional characters.
nu-uh

Q can lie.

I've seen him do it.

Rocky Ford, CO

#188980 Dec 1, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Good Gravy, you blew up a Ruger? A BLACKHAWK?
That takes erious effort.
Lucky you didn't lose a hand, or an eye, or both.
I can do anything except get rich.

That was the same Blackhawk I wrote about blowing the tip off some time before. Wrong primers and too light a load. Didn't see where the first round hit, but the next five exited real slow. The first was stuck in the tip of the barrel and the next 5 just kicked each other out. The factory round cracked the tip. Hacksawed it down to a 6 inch barrel. That was my varmint hunting pistol. I called them in.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 min Eagle 12 18,672
A Universe from Nothing? 5 min Insults Are Easier 602
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 44 min Eagle 12 21,228
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 59 min THE LONE WORKER 43,360
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... 1 hr Patrick 783
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 3 hr Patrick 4,831
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 4 hr Eagle 12 10,080
More from around the web