Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#188924 Dec 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Since I share 98.8% of my DNA with apes, then I guess the answer would be both. Doesn't it hurt to be as uninformed as you are?
It's 90% with chimps.

And 88% with mice.

And 84% with dogs.

Maybe that's where your frustration comes from.

But of course that was only when genetics was discovered.

Before that it didn't exist, right?

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#188925 Dec 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I like the Vaquero, I love to have a birds head.
http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploa...
I've never shot with grips like that. The Ruger Blackhawks had the most natural pointing ones I ever used. I like those long barrels, too.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188926 Dec 1, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely.
I've heard Christians say that ST Patrick purged Ireland of all its serpents.
I've also heard them say he purged Ireland of all its snakes.
If you're saying there's a difference between snakes and serpents I'll be happy to hear what it is.
Sigh....

Serpent:

1. A reptile of the order Serpentes; a snake.

2. often Serpent
a. In the Bible, the creature that tempted Eve.
b. Satan.

3. A subtle, sly, or treacherous person.

4. A firework that writhes while burning.

5. Music A deep-voiced wind instrument of serpentine shape, used principally from the 17th to 19th century, about 2.5 meters (8 feet) in length and made of brass or wood.

6. Serpent Serpens.

Happy?

In Genesis 3, God cursed the serpent into what could only be described as a snake.

What sense would it curse a snake into being a snake?

All snakes are serpents but not all serpents are snakes.

Exhibit A: The ex.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#188927 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
Just like we knew oxygen existed before it was discovered.
We didn't know of it.
But we knew it had to be there.
If you doubt that then the whole theory of evolution and the theory of the history of the earth goes out the window for you.
Your analogy sucks, the fact that human knew about oxygen was that it's effects were observable. Choke someone, hold their head under water, deprive them of "air" in any way, and they die (observable) They had NO idea what oxygen was, what is was comprised of, only that without breathing death occurred, and thats all they knew. DNA is NOT observable, so thee could be no way they could have known about it prior to 1869. You failed once again!!!!! Boring!!!!!

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#188928 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
I don't admit that.
Not even close.

Well you just said it has been lying to me all those years?

Rocky Ford, CO

#188929 Dec 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt it. Most taxi drivers and policemen have not done the traveling I've done.
<quoted text>
You're projecting again.
BTW, you have my condolences regarding the first of the month falling on Sunday. No mail.
You can travel a million miles in a cardboard box and not see anything.

You missed the point. Their horizon, and the points in between, is much larger than yours on a day to day basis. They will notice more things and can tie them together better than you can.

You are in an office, in a book, in an airplane, or driving down a highway getting from here to there. They are more 360 degree oriented than you.

You don't want a myopic person scanning the sky for enemy aircraft.

A homeless guy that has been on the streets for years has seen more of life than you have. Many with the same level of intelligence.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#188930 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh....
Serpent:
2. often Serpent
b. Satan.
5. Music A deep-voiced wind instrument of serpentine shape, used principally from the 17th to 19th century, about 2.5 meters (8 feet) in length and made of brass or wood.
6. Serpent Serpens.
Happy?
In Genesis 3, God cursed the serpent into what could only be described as a snake.
Thank the serpent (not a snake) for cluing in Eve on how to eat the smart fruit, to become smart enough to escape the prison of Eden. Where if they would have stayed, the monster that imprisoned them there would have surely eaten them. What would you do if the serpent had not taught you the key to how to love , how to live and how in knowing , that god is the enemy. Who prefers to keep you as a stupid pet, in a prison of ignorance, and for escaping this ignorance you are to be punished. If staying dumb is divine, then I'll take enlightenment.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188931 Dec 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your analogy sucks, the fact that human knew about oxygen was that it's effects were observable. Choke someone, hold their head under water, deprive them of "air" in any way, and they die (observable) They had NO idea what oxygen was, what is was comprised of, only that without breathing death occurred, and thats all they knew. DNA is NOT observable, so thee could be no way they could have known about it prior to 1869. You failed once again!!!!! Boring!!!!!
Ok.

Then before humans and choking experiments, oxygen didn't exist.

Right?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188932 Dec 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Well you just said it has been lying to me all those years?
No, I didn't say the Bible has been lying to you.

Quit being a derp.

Rocky Ford, CO

#188933 Dec 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your analogy sucks, the fact that human knew about oxygen was that it's effects were observable. Choke someone, hold their head under water, deprive them of "air" in any way, and they die (observable) They had NO idea what oxygen was, what is was comprised of, only that without breathing death occurred, and thats all they knew. DNA is NOT observable, so thee could be no way they could have known about it prior to 1869. You failed once again!!!!! Boring!!!!!
I'm sure they knew plants produced it. Or that it decreased with altitude.

They also evidently understood genetics. Hence laws against adultery and different breeds of domesticated animals.

What else would they have needed to know about those things?

They were living, idiot, not studying. Look at the issues you have now with manmade things from this great "understanding" from "science".
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#188934 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
SO God created good and bad. So what? You can't have one without the other. There'd be no way to justify or define good without a counterpart.
He also created light and darkness. So? What happens when you stare at the sun? You go blind. In turn, what happens when you're in an absolute dark room? You also go blind. Both light and darkness are needed.
Stupid argument, your God is all powerful, he can do anything he wants. he created all the parameters, made all the rules, he set everything up, and could have done anything he wanted. Are you telling me he couldn't have just made all things good, without the bad? Why do you need a counterpart, just make all things good. Why can't God create one without the other?

He creates the playing field and choses to include this "soul" filtering system to determine who gets rewarded and who gets punished, why the "test?" Why not skip the bullshit and just have everyone exist in heaven, one big happy family? Is it because we must PROVE our love and devotion to this being? Would you punish your children for NOT loving you? Do you require them to worship you? Isn't demanding adoration and love a sign of vanity? It's like the person who gives you an awesome gift and expects endless thanks for the gift.

BTW you will not go blind in a dark room. Only light is needed, if tomorrow for some reason there was no more darkness, we would all survive with no problem. We could NOT survive without light, so you second analogy is as stupid as your first. FAILED!!!!!

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#188935 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I didn't say the Bible has been lying to you.
Quit being a derp.
"And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil."

So you are saying this is correct? You're confusing me here Ra Ra. lol

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#188936 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh....
Serpent:
2. often Serpent
b. Satan.
6. Serpent Serpens.
Happy?
Sorry, I should have guessed that there'd be magic in it somewhere.

Ah well, each to their own.

In the meantime, here's some Humble Pie from 1973 getting right in our faces.

Ps: Please don't read anything into the name of the band - I chose it because it's great music.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#188937 Dec 1, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
What did the synthesizing?
Venter, his personnel, and his equipment - exactly what you might suspect.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#188938 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if they'll ever relent, Bucko.
I created cinnamon rolls yesterday morning.
From "scratch".
Lol
you're a liar, you assembled existing material is such a way as to make cinnamon rolls, you didn't create anything. FAILED!!!!!!!!!

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#188939 Dec 1, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll alert the media.
John Gielgud, in "Arthur".

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188940 Dec 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank the serpent (not a snake) for cluing in Eve on how to eat the smart fruit, to become smart enough to escape the prison of Eden. Where if they would have stayed, the monster that imprisoned them there would have surely eaten them. What would you do if the serpent had not taught you the key to how to love , how to live and how in knowing , that god is the enemy. Who prefers to keep you as a stupid pet, in a prison of ignorance, and for escaping this ignorance you are to be punished. If staying dumb is divine, then I'll take enlightenment.
Thank Satan, huh?

Dude...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#188941 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
they simply used existing materials and rearranged them, nothing was created.
Perhaps you are unclear on what "creating" means.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188942 Dec 1, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Stupid argument, your God is all powerful, he can do anything he wants.
Negative. Being all-powerful doesn't mean you have the ability to do the logically impossible.

For example; making a spherical triangle.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188943 Dec 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
"And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil."
So you are saying this is correct? You're confusing me here Ra Ra. lol
That's because you're easily confused.

I've explained it plainly for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min marlboro man 79,908
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 2 hr blacklagoon 3 59
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Wed Eagle 12 - 32,581
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) Sep 16 blacklagoon 3 91
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) Sep 15 xfrodobagginsx 101
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
what science will NEVER be able to prove Sep 15 Me _ Myself _ I 8
More from around the web