Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247772 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#188805 Dec 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
We've covered a lot of ground in the last few weeks. I've been keeping a running list of topics explored and terms defined on this thread in November, which is doubtless incomplete. If you or anybody else missed a few of these and would like to see them, I can find the links for them. It's one long list, but I've broken it up for readability:
Rational skepticism, freethinking, atheism versus agnosticism, organized religion versus personal religion, belief versus belief in, evil versus malice, science versus pseudoscience, hypothesis versus scientific theory,
the scientific method and the larger scientific vetting process, skepticism for science and medicine with an emphasis on the history of the idea of spontaneous generation, the definition of biological evolution, adaptive versus convergent evolution, chemical synthesis, the Higgs boson as confirmed scientific prophecy, what is a planet,
the functional (operational) definition of a Christian, prescriptive versus descriptive lexicography, the equivocation fallacy, reductio ad absurdum, the law of noncontradiction, two meaning of respect, two meanings of faith, open- and closed mindedness, submission versus autonomy, infantilism versus self-actualization, mature versus infantile love, spirituality versus spiritualism,
the supernatural, the self and ego, intelligence versus intellect and wisdom, dialectic versus sophistry, arrogance, special pleading, analysis, logical positivism, analytic philosophy, the philosophy of language, verificationism, framing and the use of language like pro-life and pro-choice, premise versus pseudopremise, conclusion verses pseudoconclusion, reverse argument, valid argument versus sound argument, analytic truth and tautology,
mutually exclusive complements, accuracy versus precision, meta-time and thinking out of time, the Gish gallop, psychological doubt versus intellectual / philosophical doubt, solipsism, the zero-energy universe, the Turing test, the evolutionary basis of the religious instinct (the god need ) and its relationship to childhood / tribal instincts,
Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, evidence for abiogenesis, geologic time and the conditions on early earth, universal common ancestor, capitalism versus greed, subtypes of political conservatives, functional versus anatomical brain scanning, metacognition, Forer effect, Dunning Kruger effect, subjective validation, confirmation bias, antiprocess, bounded rationality, identifying where democracy is present and when it is gone,
discerning how can we distinguish when a group is reporting experience objectively or with skewed perceptions, whether science can rule out an actively intervening or logically impossible god, the problems with American medicine, controlled medical trials,
and assorted word lists such as comical words (quibberdick, mome, breedbate, snool, and snoutband), paraphilias, medical terms for common bodily functions, adjectives describing family relationships and the cardinal directions, assorted words about criticism (calumny, impugn, etc.), religious “apo” words, and roofing terms.
I don't think that there are too many more interesting and more useful discussions going on on the Internet.
Wow.

Most of the internet is whining about Obama.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#188806 Dec 1, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Bad, dysfunctional - choose your own word. Whatever you call it, if the Christian god exists, it's responsible for it.
SO God created good and bad. So what? You can't have one without the other. There'd be no way to justify or define good without a counterpart.

He also created light and darkness. So? What happens when you stare at the sun? You go blind. In turn, what happens when you're in an absolute dark room? You also go blind. Both light and darkness are needed.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188807 Dec 1, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
This is something the scientific community calls falsifiability.
Absence of evidence is evidence of absence. Perhaps the wording confuses you.
Is there a kitten in the box?
Lack of kitten observation is demonstration of kitten missing.
I know you just like to argue but this is getting ridiculous.
Tide with Beach wrote:
Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
hmm..

So before there was evidence of DNA, that was evidence that it didn't exist?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#188808 Dec 1, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I was watching a fight once when a hockey game broke out.
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_246310...

An article in this morning's paper about hockey enforcers and concussions.

The public's lust for blood and the profits derived drives this stuff. Actually a segment of the public.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#188809 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
Just like we knew oxygen existed before it was discovered.
We didn't know of it.
But we knew it had to be there.
If you doubt that then the whole theory of evolution and the theory of the history of the earth goes out the window for you.
So we should trust the Bible in matters of Science? Please notice the last "bird" listed from your NIV in both lists.

Leviticus 11:13-19 (NIV)

13 “‘These are the birds you are to regard as unclean and not eat because they are unclean: the eagle, the vulture, the black vulture,
14 the red kite, any kind of black kite,
15 any kind of raven,
16 the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk,
17 the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl,
18 the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey,
19 the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat.

Deuteronomy 14:11-18 (NIV)

11 You may eat any clean bird.
12 But these you may not eat: the eagle, the vulture, the black vulture,
13 the red kite, the black kite, any kind of falcon,
14 any kind of raven,
15 the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk,
16 the little owl, the great owl, the white owl,
17 the desert owl, the osprey, the cormorant,
18 the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188810 Dec 1, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Aw, cute.
Thanks, I just shaved it.

Location hidden

#188811 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Circular logic at its finest.
pot/kettle

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188812 Dec 1, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Gibberish.
I can imagine a "person".
If I say nothing about it, it cannot be differentiated from you.
By your rational, it would be insane to differentiate the fake person from you.
You are spouting pure nonsense disguised as intelluctualism.
I suspect your mind has experienced lots of drugs.
Or else it's just not very bright.
I suspect the former.

It's the "intellectual" way...

Location hidden

#188813 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, there was no talking snake.
You were there?

I found this answer online RR.

by Jadey - Vive la difference on August 11th, 2009

No... they are the same thing - it is just that serpent comes from one particular historic language group (Latin - something that creeps) and snake from another (An Indo-European mix meaning 'to creep).

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188814 Dec 1, 2013
River Tam wrote:
All dogs are atheists. So are all humans at birth.
Humans don't have beliefs at birth.

Nor do they have sexual desires.

Location hidden

#188815 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
TRANSLATION:
copy cat.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#188816 Dec 1, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Korean restaurant.
I get it.
Don't get bucked.
I'm sayin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Cz6c-XxYSusXX
I was impressed by the quick delivery.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188817 Dec 1, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Very cute.
But it depends - on whether you want to use the definition of "dog" and "baby", or you want to lie about it - like you just did on "atheist".
If I change the definition of "baby" to "Pope Francis", your statement is incorrect.
See how easy that is?
"Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not" (Academic American Encyclopedia).
"Atheism, system of thought developed around the denial of God's existence. Atheism, so defined, first appeared during the Enlightenment, the age of reason" (Random House Encyclopedia).
"Atheism (from the Greek a-, not, and theos, god) is the view that there are no gods. A widely used sense denotes merely not believing in God and is consistent with agnosticism. A stricter sense denotes a belief that there is no God, the use has become the standard one" (Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy).
"Atheism is the doctrine that there is no God. Some atheists support this claim by arguments, but these arguments are usually directed against the Christian concept of God, and are largely irrelevant to other possible gods" (Oxford Companion to Philosophy).
"Atheism is disbelief in God" (Introduction to Philosophy, Perry and Bratman, Oxford University Press).
"Atheism from the Greek a (not) plus theos (god). The doctrine of disbelief in a supreme being" (Dictionary of Philosophy and Religion, William Reese, HumanitiesPress).
"Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God" (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor).
"Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist" (The World Book Encyclopedia).
"Atheism, Greek atheos-Disbelief in, or denial of, the existence of God" (Oxford English Dictionary)
"Atheism, the critique and denial of metaphysical beliefs in God or spiritual beings. Atheism is to be distinguished from agnosticism, which leaves open whether there is a god or not, professing to find the question unanswerable, for the atheist, the non-existence of god is a certainty" (The New Encyclopedia Britannia).
"According to the most usual definition, an atheist is a person who maintains that there is no god…(rejects eccentric definitions of the word)" (The Encyclopedia of Philosophy).
"Atheism is the doctrine that God does not exist, that belief in the existence of God is a false belief. The word God here refers to a divine being regarded as the independent creator of the world, a being superlatively powerful, wise and good" (Encyclopedia of Religion).
"Atheism (Greek and Roman): Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power"(Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
"Atheism denies the existence of deity" (Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia-Vol I).
The atheists say this is straight from the "Christian Dictionary".

All of it, I guess.

LOL

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#188818 Dec 1, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
25 Days till Christmas ! A month in which it is great to pretend be an atheist, if you are too cheap to buy gifts for your family
What a beautiful sentiment, Christian. As a reward, I have one for you: The ice giants stole your holiday.

Merry Xmas.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188819 Dec 1, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Korean restaurant.
I get it.
Don't get bucked.
I'm sayin
Did I tell you I had Korean food a few weeks ago?

I got some dirt soup.

Pepper didn't help...

Location hidden

#188820 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
TRANSLATION:
"We atheists get to tell you what a True Christian is and how you're acting all un-Christ-like but you don't get to use a dictionary and tell us what atheist means. It means what we say it means. It means what we want it to mean."
There is no such thing as a Christian, therefore there is no such thing as a "true" Christian.

The Bible means what it means; the problem is you do not like what the Bible says to you so you make up pretend stories so you do not have to deal with the fact that you hate what the Bible tells you to do and when you refuse to obey the Bible in essence you are hating Jesus and giving God the finger.

How many times have you given BibleGod the finger today RR?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188821 Dec 1, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The scientific community, you say?
“The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.”
Carl Sagan; "Cosmos"
Tide with Beach wrote:
Carl is talking about the ignorance of evidence, or the absence of it in terms of knowledge of the evidence.
aahhh....

"It says what it says except when it doesn't say what I want it to say."

Sound familiar?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188822 Dec 1, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
So we should trust the Bible in matters of Science?
No. It isn't a science book.

Carrion.

Location hidden

#188823 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then my experience with God is "having an experience" that is equally proven.
Thanks for your help in clearing that up.
Please help me in clearing up if anyone has ever seen God.

John 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time;..."
Exodus 33:20, And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
John 6:46 "Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father."
1 John 4:12 "No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us."

Versus

Gen. 32:30 "And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."
Exod. 33:11 "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend."
Num. 14:14 "...that thou LORD art seen face to face,..."
Job 42:5 "I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee."
Deut. 34:10 "And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,..."
Deut. 5:4 "The LORD talked with you face to face...."

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188824 Dec 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Oh, there was no talking snake.
Reverend Alan wrote:
You were there?
Here we go again....

All snakes are serpents but not all serpents are snakes.
I found this answer online RR.
That's where you find all your answers.
Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
I don't have a pipe.

Will you share yours?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 13 min Knowledge- 12,930
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 1 hr Eagle 12 73
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 1 hr Eagle 12 34
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Eagle 12 20,901
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr Eagle 12 2,360
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 4 hr -Stray Dog 47,905
Proof of God for the Atheist Wed Amused 130
More from around the web