Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255310 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#188671 Nov 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You make some remarkable associations out of this vast and limitless universe, scar.
You old hoot owl...

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#188672 Nov 30, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. The Corvette exists. Our concepts of the shape of it will not be the same. One of our concepts will better describe the actual shape than the other.
Your own example implies the opposite of your thesis.

See if you can figure out why.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#188673 Nov 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called the occult and paranormal because it isn't an everyday on demand sort of thing.
However, you have to remember this stuff has been around a lot, lot longer than the internet or mass media. A lot of it has been turned into showbiz and profit making enterprises. Just like neo-atheism.
I'm not impressed with the occult. Those are head trips. But there are other paranormal events that are quite real. You have probably shrugged off one or two in your time.
Your clean materialistic world is not as clean and materialistic as you would like to believe. It just seems so because that is all you can see "clearly".
<The Dave Nelson> " I'm a wizard..."

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#188674 Nov 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Intuition led to the god belief.
A long time ago. And since.
You spelled ignorance wrong.
LCNLin

United States

#188675 Nov 30, 2013
25 Days till Christmas !

A month in which it is great to pretend be an

atheist,

if you are too cheap to buy gifts for your family.:-)

Location hidden

#188676 Nov 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thats correct, now pay the 8uck attention..........do you have your little comprehension hat on..........Good boy..........AS FAR AS SCIENCE WAS C O N C E R N E D, dna did not exist before 1869. And..........AS FAR AS SCIENCE WAS C O N C E R N E D, germ theory didn't exist before 1677. Now back to your seat and write 100 times, "I'll do my best to pay more attention"
You changed your story, but still didn't get it right.

As far as science before DNA was discovered, they did not know, or could not demonstrate its existence.

They did not conclude nonexistence.

You can't even get it right when I help you.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#188677 Nov 30, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You say paranormal events are quite real with no empirical evidence to qualify them. How do you know my squeaky clean materialistic world isn't in truth the only reality? I tend to believe that you and many others have a strange need to add complexity and mystery to a world that is, to me anyway, quite simplistic. You seem to view life as a puzzling and inexplicable experience whereas I see the world as a place I was involuntarily thrust into
and random chance directs my outcome. That's it. So far, I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise.
What kind of work do you do, Anon? You are cognizant of the fact that in these days your work environment will determine how much of this physical world you will actually experience? The difference between seeing and reading about?

Location hidden

#188678 Nov 30, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
This is something the scientific community calls falsifiability.
Absence of evidence is evidence of absence. Perhaps the wording confuses you.
Is there a kitten in the box?
Lack of kitten observation is demonstration of kitten missing.
I know you just like to argue but this is getting ridiculous.
It's only ridiculous because you keep trying to prove something you can't.

Your observation of the box in question is evidence.

So it is not absence of evidence.

Your evidence cannot be both absent and present.

The scientific community, you say?

“The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.”

&#8213; Carl Sagan; "Cosmos"

It's only getting uglier for you.

Location hidden

#188679 Nov 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text> Not really as smart as you think you are. Notice the symptom called "Cognitive disturbances" One of the results is delirium, delirium is always accompanied by.........yep you guessed it dumbass....HALLUCINATIONS.
The brain requires approximately 3.3 ml of oxygen per 100 g of brain tissue per minute. Initially the body responds to lowered blood oxygen by redirecting blood to the brain and increasing cerebral blood flow. Blood flow may increase up to twice the normal flow but no more. If the increased blood flow is sufficient to supply the brain’s oxygen needs then no symptoms will result.[19]
However, if blood flow cannot be increased or if doubled blood flow does not correct the problem, symptoms of cerebral hypoxia will begin to appear. Mild symptoms include difficulties with complex learning tasks and reductions in short-term memory. If oxygen deprivation continues, cognitive disturbances and decreased motor control will result.[19] The skin may also appear bluish (cyanosis) and heart rate increases. Continued oxygen deprivation results in fainting, long term loss of consciousness, coma, seizures, cessation of brain stem reflexes, and brain death.[20]
That's impressive.

You can copy and paste.

Too bad you don't understand one word of it.

Rocky Ford, CO

#188680 Nov 30, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You old hoot owl...
I lived in a place in central Florida that had birds up the ying yang and lots of trees right up next to the house. One night I was sitting by a window reading when this owl let out this blood curdling screech. He was perched on a branch about 5 foot away. Heard them hoot many a time, but this one must have wanted to see me shit in my pants, which didn't quite happen.

I have some stories about owls.

Location hidden

#188681 Nov 30, 2013
ATTENTION! ATTENTION!

Buck is now going into MINIMALIST MODE.

For newcomers, and idiots, which about covers the thread, this means Buck will be refuting all atheist posts in 10 words or less.

This is to avoid unnecessary burning of brain power.

Buck will notify viewers when switching back to regular mode, and may do so if any post reflects enough intelligence to justify the switch.

Thank you.

(Sent from the Buck Institute)

Location hidden

#188682 Nov 30, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You seriously want to claim Dave as an ally?
Rofl!
Wow.
Dave is second smartest guy on Topix.

Location hidden

#188683 Nov 30, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I apologize if I'm wrong, but that's the general impression I get. Your insistence, in stark contrast to your current attitude, that you will become an EM ghost and muck about possessing people at will has that effect.
You made this up.

Location hidden

#188684 Nov 30, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Where did you get the idea that I was criticizing intuition? I wasn't. It's a good tool.
And intuition isn't inexplicable or magical. I'm not sure if that's what you were suggesting.
Explain intuition.

Location hidden

#188685 Nov 30, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you happened to read any of the latest studies on concussions?
Yes. I had several. No lasting effects.

Rocky Ford, CO

#188686 Nov 30, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I apologize if I'm wrong, but that's the general impression I get. Your insistence, in stark contrast to your current attitude, that you will become an EM ghost and muck about possessing people at will has that effect.
I had the power for a very short period of time. Once you get inserted there is no leaving, though. You meld and get trapped like the official property holder. I seemed to know that at that time.

It was EM like, but not necessarily EM. Reading about the Higg's lately I could describe it as an EM entity with the Higg's turned off, which removes it from interacting with mass. There was visible form and orientation of here, but no connection to it.

You'll find out on your own.

Location hidden

#188687 Nov 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't a healthy position. It sounds pretty Christian in origin.
It dates hundreds of years B.C.

Location hidden

#188688 Nov 30, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It's always amusing to catch a believer off guard with something as simple as asking, "Exactly what does that mean?"
Most of the time, they're just filling space with flowery nonsense hoping nobody presses them for a commitment.
What does that mean?

...did it work?

Location hidden

#188689 Nov 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's synthesis.
It's not synthesis of DNA.

Rocky Ford, CO

#188690 Nov 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You made this up.
His interpretation of what I said is wrong. More of his projecting his thoughts to others.

I explained it a bit more in my previous post. Dave can be quite ferocious when confronted with something unknown. Took a higher authority to make him behave. The only flash of light in the experience.

I did play with it a bit with a poster or two. The explanation why they would suddenly get this urge to be flaming fags after I left next time. I think GML was the one I did that to.

Not my bod or identity.

I would have laughed like a hyena.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 22 min renee 31,308
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 26 min karl44 9,736
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 34 min Reason Personified 13,304
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 2 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 4,351
News Speaking for God 5 hr Jaimie 592
There are no such things as gods or fairies 7 hr Eagle 12 34
Majority of Scots now have no religion 19 hr emperorjohn 8
More from around the web