Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#188658 Nov 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had a brain, you might know.
My friend's boyfriend killed a Buck today. It was only a 5 pointer. Not nearly as pointy as you.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#188659 Nov 30, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend's boyfriend killed a Buck today. It was only a 5 pointer. Not nearly as pointy as you.
The point is, all the wise people will be giving thanks and praise to the Lord tomorrow. All the the others are one day closer to the , abyss

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#188660 Nov 30, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> The point is, all the wise people will be giving thanks and praise to the Lord tomorrow. All the the others are one day closer to the , abyss
The Lord of what?

The rings? The flies? The Essex?

The Lorax watches and waits.

The Lorax: Which way does a tree fall?
The Once-ler: Uh, down?
The Lorax: A tree falls the way it leans. Be careful which way you lean.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#188661 Nov 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called the occult and paranormal because it isn't an everyday on demand sort of thing.
However, you have to remember this stuff has been around a lot, lot longer than the internet or mass media. A lot of it has been turned into showbiz and profit making enterprises. Just like neo-atheism.
I'm not impressed with the occult. Those are head trips. But there are other paranormal events that are quite real. You have probably shrugged off one or two in your time.
Your clean materialistic world is not as clean and materialistic as you would like to believe. It just seems so because that is all you can see "clearly".
You say paranormal events are quite real with no empirical evidence to qualify them. How do you know my squeaky clean materialistic world isn't in truth the only reality? I tend to believe that you and many others have a strange need to add complexity and mystery to a world that is, to me anyway, quite simplistic. You seem to view life as a puzzling and inexplicable experience whereas I see the world as a place I was involuntarily thrust into
and random chance directs my outcome. That's it. So far, I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#188662 Nov 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You prefer to argue over elucidating. Would you prefer irreducible complexity or specified complexity?
I'll answer the question for you: it's a creator god.
That's a different argument, not an elucidated one.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#188663 Nov 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Counselor Catcher says:
Faulty, dishonest logic.
Bogus conclusion.
Mr. Crick is found guilty of attempted deception.
Off with his head!

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#188664 Nov 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think that? Other than you jumping to conclusions to suit your beliefs?
Budrow, you are the one tied up in the Abrahamic god model, not me.
You could say my god is too big to worship, much less understand or second guess. I just know this "reality" is not the reality.
Haven't got the slightest idea where I am going next, or what I will be. Just that I will be something doing something.
I apologize if I'm wrong, but that's the general impression I get. Your insistence, in stark contrast to your current attitude, that you will become an EM ghost and muck about possessing people at will has that effect.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#188665 Nov 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Man has lasted all of this time because of intuition, not "science". In fact, it led to "science". And manufactured magnets. Which, BTW, was a very important part of the LHC and Higg's boson thingy, which, BTW again, was an intuition thingy before that experiment.
Where did you get the idea that I was criticizing intuition? I wasn't. It's a good tool.

And intuition isn't inexplicable or magical. I'm not sure if that's what you were suggesting.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#188666 Nov 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>You know what's funny about this?

I am the only one on this thread (other than Dave Nelson) to point out the reality that "infinity" does not exist in reality.

And what do all the rational skeptics do?

Attack my view and argue that I am wrong.

And carry it on for years - from doctors to anthropologists to physicists.

Now, you pull out of your ass this:

" ...makes you feel hostile to this kind of philosophy of language that insists that words refer to some aspect of reality to be considered meaningful".

I'm the only fu&&ing one on the thread who does what you approvingly cite.

Funny as hell.
You seriously want to claim Dave as an ally?

Rofl!

Wow.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#188667 Nov 30, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

You nailed it again, Dave.

You hear that religious people? THERE IS NO DEVIL!

You hear that materialists? YOU WERE DESIGNED WITH POLARITY!

Nothing can exist without polarity. You cannot be a human being if you do not have the propensity for evil and for good.

You would be a zombie.

No zombies in this design.

"Judge not so that ye be not judged"

It means COMPARISON!

You know what the EGO does? IT COMPARES OTHERS TO YOURSELF AND LONGS FOR SEPARATION!

Thank you, Dave Nelson - still the second smartest person on Topix.

Salute.
Have you happened to read any of the latest studies on concussions?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#188668 Nov 30, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>

The point remains that it could not be evidentially differentiated from any known deity belief. If you can't tell the difference between a fake and what is believed to be genuine, acting like there is a difference is insane.
<quoted text>
Gibberish.

I can imagine a "person".

If I say nothing about it, it cannot be differentiated from you.

By your rational, it would be insane to differentiate the fake person from you.

You are spouting pure nonsense disguised as intelluctualism.

I suspect your mind has experienced lots of drugs.

Or else it's just not very bright.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#188669 Nov 30, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Best case scenario - a bunch of people interpreting near death (and all that that entails in the brain) as heaven. Worst case scenario - a bunch of liars relishing their moment in the spotlight. Take your pick.
Mind disclosing your credentials in neurological research?

Being tasered doesn't count.

Neither does your degree in ass wiping.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#188670 Nov 30, 2013
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Where did you get the idea that I was criticizing intuition? I wasn't. It's a good tool.
And intuition isn't inexplicable or magical. I'm not sure if that's what you were suggesting.
Intuition led to the god belief.

A long time ago. And since.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#188671 Nov 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You make some remarkable associations out of this vast and limitless universe, scar.
You old hoot owl...

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#188672 Nov 30, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. The Corvette exists. Our concepts of the shape of it will not be the same. One of our concepts will better describe the actual shape than the other.
Your own example implies the opposite of your thesis.

See if you can figure out why.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#188673 Nov 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called the occult and paranormal because it isn't an everyday on demand sort of thing.
However, you have to remember this stuff has been around a lot, lot longer than the internet or mass media. A lot of it has been turned into showbiz and profit making enterprises. Just like neo-atheism.
I'm not impressed with the occult. Those are head trips. But there are other paranormal events that are quite real. You have probably shrugged off one or two in your time.
Your clean materialistic world is not as clean and materialistic as you would like to believe. It just seems so because that is all you can see "clearly".
<The Dave Nelson> " I'm a wizard..."

“LOL Really?”

Location hidden

#188674 Nov 30, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Intuition led to the god belief.
A long time ago. And since.
You spelled ignorance wrong.
LCNLin

United States

#188675 Nov 30, 2013
25 Days till Christmas !

A month in which it is great to pretend be an

atheist,

if you are too cheap to buy gifts for your family.:-)

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#188676 Nov 30, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thats correct, now pay the 8uck attention..........do you have your little comprehension hat on..........Good boy..........AS FAR AS SCIENCE WAS C O N C E R N E D, dna did not exist before 1869. And..........AS FAR AS SCIENCE WAS C O N C E R N E D, germ theory didn't exist before 1677. Now back to your seat and write 100 times, "I'll do my best to pay more attention"
You changed your story, but still didn't get it right.

As far as science before DNA was discovered, they did not know, or could not demonstrate its existence.

They did not conclude nonexistence.

You can't even get it right when I help you.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#188677 Nov 30, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You say paranormal events are quite real with no empirical evidence to qualify them. How do you know my squeaky clean materialistic world isn't in truth the only reality? I tend to believe that you and many others have a strange need to add complexity and mystery to a world that is, to me anyway, quite simplistic. You seem to view life as a puzzling and inexplicable experience whereas I see the world as a place I was involuntarily thrust into
and random chance directs my outcome. That's it. So far, I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise.
What kind of work do you do, Anon? You are cognizant of the fact that in these days your work environment will determine how much of this physical world you will actually experience? The difference between seeing and reading about?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 3 hr Frindly 3,205
hell is a real place. so.. ahtiesm is a faux li... 4 hr Eagle 12 - 15
High School Atheism 5 hr blacklagoon 3 39
what science will NEVER be able to prove 6 hr blacklagoon 3 61
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) 11 hr Frindly 1,191
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 11 hr tongangodz 4,953
How Do You Debate? 15 hr blacklagoon 3 2
More from around the web