Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 9,042)

Showing posts 180,821 - 180,840 of216,519
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Paul is a confessed liar”

Since: Jul 11

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Lie.
Jesus commanded everyone to **follow** all the Jewish rules--**all** of them.
But Paul the heretic? He contradicted that, and supposedly said you no longer needed to do that.
That's direct contradiction, that's what that is.
In Christianity, there are a thousand doctrines to get around Jesus' teachings in the Gospels.

For a group that claims Jesus is God, they seem to think He is a real moron. Few give a rat's butt about Jesus, Christianity is all about Paul and the opinions of Roman Emperors and Priests.

Jesus is just a Jew on a stick handing out tickets to paradise, nothing more.
Peaceful

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

DebJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Then again, maybe they don't! What manifestations are you talking about anyway? Revelations....show proof of just one, just one.
I don't think I'm terribly unique and yes we are all tiny specks in a very large universe. What's your point? It's the cristians who think they are so special that they can walk on streets of gold for all eternity. When it comes to feeble minds, speak only for yourself.
Jesus own words said that. You have to study the bible itself to get the claims right.
Peaceful

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are right, mooze. Not much at all was really said. But I do have some thoughts on the subject.
Those who value science are people who have faith in verifiable data and observed results of experiments. Religion is something they judge on their own, regardless of what they were taught.
Those who value faith above science are people who have faith in parents, teachers and other authority figures who taught them their religion.
There are high and low IQs in both groups, though there is a greater tendency towards high IQs in the science related group.
The core value for each is faith: faith in data & observation; or faith in some trusted members of society.
The only thing is that God made science because He said He made the world and everything in it. So we can't conclude that one has a low IQ than the other or be so sure of evidence or collected data. Why? Because there are other verifiable archeological findings that does not need lab tests. Moreover, Jesus was a real person who came to accomplish His mission on earth.
Peaceful

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha
Is that the sum knowledge of all the christian teachings you've had?
Jesus did not speak like that or teach like that:-) You see, even the prostitute whom the people wanted her to be stoned....Jesus did not partook in their language or actions. Jesus life was perfect even with his dealings with people. He made an open invitation to follow His pathway. So, we cannot look at God through the language or actions of people.
Peaceful

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

LiddySays wrote:
There is no possible way for any of us to know how we ended up here. Religion is full of fairy tales, science is full of theories... So, in my opinion, it is futile to argue about it. Let people believe what they want if that's what makes them feel a little better about dying... Because that's what it all comes down to in the end. DEATH! The unknown! Do we continue on? Or is it really the end?! The only one's who know the answer are not here to give it to us. But in my opinion, if there were nothing after life, then life itself is meaningless. And there is a reason for everything. IDK, if this came out the way I intended(I'm half drunk)=) But if you can find any living thing on this planet that does not have a purpose, then my theory is debunked!
The only fairy tale religion is the religion that made up its own aprt from the true teaching of Jesus Christ.
Peaceful

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

Divine Alien wrote:
When we leave this world, we are going back to God himself.
Right! We have nowhere to run no matter what excuse we present or theorize. We can't blame God for the bad things happening. Its not going to change anything.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

susanblange wrote:
Atheism, like religion is a matter of belief/faith and has no basis even in personal experience of anybody alive today. I think religion comes from our heritage and possibly fear of the unknown, ie death and atheism comes from intellectualism and modernism. The two are compatible. We should test the spirits, whether they be from God or not. Satan (the most evil one) can counterfeit most of the things of God. Atheists are ignorant but so are a lot of religious people. Very few of us know the Truth and what is real. It won't be proven definitively until the resurrection. The Lord will reign forever and ever.
Let me guess: You just happen to be one of those "very few".

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
Another question my Atheist friends.
What happened to the evolution of the scorpions prey? After 430 million years the prey of scorpions should have built up immunities and defenses against the scorpions complex neurotoxins.
One of their favorite meals is crickets. The cricket doesn’t have a chance if the scorpion nails it with its stinger.
I don't know. Try asking the question on one of the evolution threads.

By the way, there are plenty of religious people who accept evolution. You may wish to broaden your scope a bit.

“Which "god"?”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>Let me guess: You just happen to be one of those "very few".
The majority of them are. Hahaha.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. some historians have been trying to dismiss Paul but the Letters are pretty damn good evidence ..
.. whether all the writings attributed to Paul were indeed written by him is questionable. The First Council of Nicaea might have left a few turds in the litter box ..
Oh, the letters were written by **someone**, sure.

I just doubt they were written by the **same** someone.

More likely, they were written by hundreds of different people, most were likely false, people attempting to copy the style of someone else.

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

susanblange wrote:
<quoted text>The NT is full of contradictions and Paul calls himself "the chief sinner". You can read anything into the NT that you want it to say. That's why there are about 32,000 different Christian denominations. I think Paul was trying to make a name for himself as did Jesus. Jesus and Paul both served Satan and they've continued and finished his work. That was Satans' lie in the Garden of Eden, You can disobey God and not keep his commandments and you won't die. Genesis 3:4. They have strengthened the wicked by promising them life. Ezekiel 13:22.
It's not just the NT that contradicts itself; the OT also does a pretty good job in that department.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
In Christianity, there are a thousand doctrines to get around Jesus' teachings in the Gospels.
For a group that claims Jesus is God, they seem to think He is a real moron. Few give a rat's butt about Jesus, Christianity is all about Paul and the opinions of Roman Emperors and Priests.
Jesus is just a Jew on a stick handing out tickets to paradise, nothing more.
I have to agree with your analysis here; there were hundreds of "gospels", but the bible-fabricators picked but 4.

I find that interesting as well-- why just those 4?

And why do the writings of this "paul" character overwhelm the 4 they did keep? More by "paul" than about the jesus character, who was supposedly central to the whole thing...

... interesting, no?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

Peaceful wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus did not speak like that or teach like that:-) You see, even the prostitute whom the people wanted her to be stoned....Jesus did not partook in their language or actions. Jesus life was perfect even with his dealings with people. He made an open invitation to follow His pathway. So, we cannot look at God through the language or actions of people.
"So, we cannot look at God through the language or actions of people."

Well... there goes 100% of your "holy" bible, then.

Being as how it's all written by ...

... and about the actions of ...

....... people.

Thanks!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Eagle 12 wrote:
“It may not look like much, but together with other tracks in the 280 million-year-old rocks of Prehistoric Trackways National Monument in southern New Mexico, this vague form has been identified as the one and only fossil impression of a scorpion body ever found. The scorpion rested here for a time, then scurried off, and the imprint of its body eventually turned to stone”
http://news.discovery.com/earth/shush-worlds-...
Eagle 12
Scorpions have been around for 430 million years according to the fossil records. Those scorpions in the fossil record look just like they do today. How did this creature self create it’s unique batch of neurotoxins that it uses against predators and prey?
We are not talking here a simple poison but a complex protein chain. Each one is a miniature chemical manufacturing facility making batches of this deadly neurotoxin.
This creature looks like it was designed and engineered to be able to produce these deadly poisons. With scorpions being around for the last 430 million years. The early one’s didn’t have much time to evolve. In 430 million years they still look the same.
http://www.livescience.com/41098-new-scorpion...

Evolution is cool, right?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

Eagle 12 wrote:
Another question my Atheist friends.
What happened to the evolution of the scorpions prey? After 430 million years the prey of scorpions should have built up immunities and defenses against the scorpions complex neurotoxins.
One of their favorite meals is crickets. The cricket doesn’t have a chance if the scorpion nails it with its stinger.
Are you stupid?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll keep this simple.
As usual?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-11-brain-s... The human body is a mobile transmitter and receiver of EM. PERIOD. FACT.
Your link doesn't support your claim. PERIOD. FACT.

So far, nothing either of us has found supports your claim. PERIOD. FACT.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Doctor dearest, surely you know they claim they can tell a lot about the makeup of stars billions of light years away from its EM signature? In fact that is the basis of most modern cosmology. Money is being spent pursuing the technology.
Yeah, thanks for that. But it also doesn't support your claim. PERIOD. FACT.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
Thought I would share from a book I'm reading:
"Near Death Experiences" by P.M.H. Atwater She studied over 3,000 cases longitudinally over a 30 year period to examine results. Arthur Rubinstein, the Polish-born American pianist widely considered one of the greatest piano virtuosos of the 20th century recounts what happened at 8 years old: "I was sitting there ready to play, and my hands on the piano, I felt ghostlike hands slowly coming across my shoulders and merging into my own hands. Then, my hands began playing a piece of music which I had never heard, nor played. After the piece was finished, the teacher was aghast, and said that what I just played was a very famous classical piece of music, and that it was played perfectly, in fact, better than the teacher had ever heard the greatest of piano players play the piece".
You don't have the temperament of a skeptic. What you have is the will to believe, which is why you offer material like this as evidence. This is the kind of thing that would be persuasive only to a mind that didn't need persuading.

Skeptics reject accounts like these just as they do any other report of ghosts, magic or miracles. Why? Because there are no adequately documented examples of any of these and no known mechanism for them to occur, but tons of examples of people suffering from delusions, hallucinations, and excessive enthusiasm.

For the skeptic, the situation is reminiscent of the thousands of gods that men have claimed are real, all of which save possibly one are myths or deceptions. The question we need to ask is not whether men can fabricate these things, because we can see how readily and universally they do, but whether even one of these claims is something else.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
Nonsense. "Lack of belief" is agnosticism or verificationism.
I think that you have misunderstood verificationism. It is not lack of belief. It is "a philosophical attitude that aims to formulate a criteria of meaningfulness" and to "develop processes permitting unambiguous assessment of a theory's falsity or truth."

This is a concept associated with the logical positivist school I told you about when we were discussing the Wittgenstein quote:

“Whatever cannot be shown to correspond to some observable reality, cannot be meaningfully spoken about.”- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Do you recall that?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
Everything that begins to exist has a cause.
Are you admitting to a completed infinity? What exists that never began to exist, Professor Kalam?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 180,821 - 180,840 of216,519
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••