Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#188216 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism relies on belief or philosophy.
And it's not my definition, ColdPorcine.
"Atheism, from the Greek a-theos ("no-god"), is the philosophical position that God doesn't exist. It is distinguished from agnosticism, the argument that it is impossible to know whether God exists or not." -(Academic American Encyclopedia).
"Atheism is the belief that God doesn't exist." (The World Book Encyclopedia)
Atheism (Greek and Roman): "Atheism is a dogmatic creed, consisting in the denial of every kind of supernatural power. Atheism has not often been seriously maintained at any period of civilized thought" -(Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics-Vol II).
Try a dictionary for word meanings not an encyclopaedia

Pedantic moron, search define atheism on google and you will see many, many definitions all essentially similar and all varying in their scope

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#188217 Nov 29, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm interesting, I would like to know when you have ever spoken to any scientist about psi off the record? Or is this more buckshit you are drooling?
Funnily enough I do talk to several scientists both for my work and private life and none that I know accept or even consider psi to be valid either on or off the record.
Your tattoo artist does not count as a scientist.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#188218 Nov 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
90% of all stats are made up on the spot.
I wonder what percentage of crackheads think crack is A-OK....
Probably the same percentage of Theists who think that God condoning slavery, rape and the murder of little babies is OK.

Now........show me the documentation that shows statistics are made up on the spot.........bet ya can't do it skippy, I double dare ya to even try!!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#188219 Nov 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
As you atheists have the preconceived notion that God doesn't exist and created nothing.
Yes, we have the DEFAULT position, at least until someone is able to provide evidence that the opposite it true. 2000 years and still no one has been able to do that, so our DEFALT position stands.

Location hidden

#188220 Nov 29, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep saying that something cannot come from nothing despite the facts to the contrary
Why is this?
And as an aside what makes you think that because no god was involved it was nothing anyway. Several theories suggest valid and mathematically sound alternatives.
It seems to be a case of “doh, I dun unnerstan so it mus be a god wot done it, yehhh dat sound right to me”
CisternClean, you are such a full-of-shit liar.

There are no facts to the contrary. Not one.

I proposed no god involvement.

You are talking through your ass.

Something cannot come from nothing.

If you could summon forth one little contrary fact from that estrogen-drenched mind of yours, we would have seen it by now.

And don't try E=mc^2 again.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#188221 Nov 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Youre a heretic, apostate and biased for various reasons.
Time for this bible words quiz, which you saw in September of 2012 on this thread.

Match the following six reasons to become apoplectic about religion:

[1] apostasy
[2] apocryphal
[3] apotheosis
[4] apologetics
[5] apostolic
[6] apocalypse
[7] apophatic

(a) theological defense
(b) desertion of a post or of a religion
(c) elevation to god status
(d) the violent end of the world
(e) related to a missionary or disciple
(f) of doubtful authenticity
(g) of or relating to the belief that God can be known to humans only in terms of what He is not (such as `God is unknowable').

Answers

[1] apostasy -(b) desertion of a post or of a religion
[2] apocryphal -(f) of doubtful authenticity
[3] apotheosis -(c) elevation to god status
[4] apologetics -(a) theological defense
[5] apostolic -(e) related to a missionary or disciple
[6] apocalypse -(d) the violent end of the world
[7] apophatic -(g) of or relating to the belief that God can be known to humans only in terms of what He is not (such as `God is unknowable')

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#188222 Nov 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
One time, I took a banana and some ice cream and ***created*** a banana shake.
From scratch.
I should write a paper.
The atheists would swoon.
And I'll bet you used the banana that God created especially for us humans since it fits in the hand so nicely and is curved at just the right angle of our mouths. Such a kind and considerate God you have there!!!!!

Location hidden

#188223 Nov 29, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Pedantic moron, search define atheism on google and you will see many, many definitions all essentially similar and all varying in their scope
Academic philosphy sources are superior.

But thanks for the wiggle.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#188224 Nov 29, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
This part depends on your initial claim being correct and significant. There need to be fluctuating fields of sufficient strength to send signals through walls and in some cases,over oceans, and a receptor mechanism, which could be anything from the whole human body functioning as an antenna to microscopic components such as its hemoglobin iron, electrolytes, or convolved DNA coils functioning as receivers.
And there needs to be a transduction mechanism for these signals to be turned into thoughts and thoughts into EM pulses. When we expose patients to high intensity magnetic fields as when performing MRIs, for example, this does not induce wakeful dreams or other thoughts, suggesting that magnetic fields are not relevant to paranormal cognition if it occurs.
So, if people are sending signals to one another in the manner you suggest, the next step is to find them and study them, and reproduce them artificially and generate the same responses that are currently being measured in situations like the ganzfeld experiments.
Your speculative ideas would be more useful if they were wedded to a modicum of skepticism, a firm grounding in known science and the scientific method, and an ability to source and defend your claims.
Also, your tone is dictatorial FACT. PERIOD. To convince rational skeptics, you have to make your points with argument supported by data, not the brute force of insistence.
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-11-brain-s...

The human body is a mobile transmitter and receiver of EM. PERIOD. FACT.

Doctor dearest, surely you know they claim they can tell a lot about the makeup of stars billions of light years away from its EM signature? In fact that is the basis of most modern cosmology.

Money is being spent pursuing the technology.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#188225 Nov 29, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
For reasons I'll never understand, religious folks cannot wrap their mind around the concept of "lack of belief."

Their world, not surprisingly, is very black or white - either you believe in deities or you actively believe deities don't exist. In their mind, it is simply impossible for someone to lack belief in deities.

Its one of the most bizarre things I've ever encountered.

I'd love to write more, but today is my day for actively believing unicorns don't exist and I really need to focus...

Location hidden

#188226 Nov 29, 2013
Thought I would share from a book I'm reading:

"Near Death Experiences" by P.M.H. Atwater

She studied over 3,000 cases longitudinally over a 30 year period to examine results.

Arthur Rubinstein, the Polish-born American pianist widely considered one of the greatest piano virtuosos of the 20th century recounts what happened at 8 years old:

"I was sitting there ready to play, and my hands on the piano, I felt ghostlike hands slowly coming across my shoulders and merging into my own hands. Then, my hands began playing a piece of music which I had never heard, nor played. After the piece was finished, the teacher was aghast, and said that what I just played was a very famous classical piece of music, and that it was played perfectly, in fact, better than the teacher had ever heard the greatest of piano players play the piece".

Location hidden

#188227 Nov 29, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
For reasons I'll never understand, religious folks cannot wrap their mind around the concept of "lack of belief."
Their world, not surprisingly, is very black or white - either you believe in deities or you actively believe deities don't exist. In their mind, it is simply impossible for someone to lack belief in deities.
Its one of the most bizarre things I've ever encountered.
I'd love to write more, but today is my day for actively believing unicorns don't exist and I really need to focus...
Nonsense.

"Lack of belief" is agnosticism or verificationism.

Atheism is belief.

Nobody has any problem wrapping their head around that.

On the other hand, atheists lie about it constantly.

Location hidden

#188228 Nov 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, we have the DEFAULT position, at least until someone is able to provide evidence that the opposite it true. 2000 years and still no one has been able to do that, so our DEFALT position stands.
No, you don't have the default position.

You want your position to be the default position, and that is why you lie about your position.

The default position would be agnosticism.

Atheism is a belief position, no less than theism.

Thanks for illustrating your fraud.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#188229 Nov 29, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Merriam Webster good enough?

a : a disbelief in the existence of deity

b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Location hidden

#188231 Nov 29, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I say synthetic cell or did I say synthetic life?
Are you choosing to go down the pedantic route of error by assertion and lies that buck is teaching? Really I though more of you than that.
They didn't do either.

Get up to speed, CrestwithAtropine.

The crowd has already backed off the original lie - synthetic life - and ratchetted it down to a smaller lie - synthetic DNA.

If you are going to keep your breast with the latest atheist lie, you need to pay more attention.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#188235 Nov 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
As you atheists have the preconceived notion that God doesn't exist and created nothing.
<quoted text>
Then you, sir, are not an atheist.
You're agnostic.
Congratulations.
Shaka indeed...
Given proof, I think most atheists would change their minds.

But, whatever, you want to call me an agnostic? I don't care.

Location hidden

#188236 Nov 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>We kill chickens, your god murders innocent little babies, see the difference? No I don't suppose you do, since you think its OK for your God to take life. It's the Bill Cosby approach, "I brought you into this world and I can take you out." LOL.
Your God is a psychopathic murderer, he has murdered over a million people including little babies. How does it feel to drop to your knee's as worship a murderer. I guess you know how those who worshiped Charles Manson felt.
There is NO evidence for Jesus, Heaven, Hell, or Your demon God.
Did you know the God you worship enjoys watching people suffer? It's one of his greatest pleasures, for some reason his favorite subjects are little children, he really gets off on watching them starve to death.
I see through you, Bert Legume.

You think all that excuses your having sex with chickens.

A for effort.

...I mean for the excuse,...not for hosing the chicken.

Location hidden

#188237 Nov 29, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Me too.
I'd be breaking the scientific method if I didn't.
<quoted text>
Really, Tinky Winky?

"breaking the scientific method"??

Is that like a Commandment?

Is your science Jewish?

Location hidden

#188238 Nov 29, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Please be good enough to read the procedure and stop expecting me to provide you with technical information that you are too lazy to learn for yourself.
However if that is too much for you then talk to IANS, he is eminently more qualified than I am to answer you.
Tag-team.

I don't think he wants to tag in.

You might have to actually back up some of the stupid shit you say, CrispyKreme.

Location hidden

#188240 Nov 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>He walked into a hotel and dumped some nail on the counter,,,,"Could you put me UP for awhile?"
Ohhhh....you like highbrow humor.

Try this.

I defended you the other day, Bert Legume.

Somebody said they saw you eating a shit sandwich.

I said, "Liar. He don't like bread".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 13 min Patrick 35
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 33 min fadu singh 21,904
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 38 min Patrick 4,083
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 1 hr Patrick 176
What Bums Me Out Most About Being an Atheist 2 hr californio 88
The Ultimate Evidence of God 3 hr susanblange 119
Stump a theist with 2 questions 7 hr NightSerf 9
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••