Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#188390 Nov 29, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. like Jesus, the first Christians (Nazarenes or Ebionites), did not believe in sacrificial death. Paul did ..
.. back then, Pagans preferred Paul's evangelizing, his message was a perfect fit with existing deity beliefs ..
.. Christian theology has become the unlucky heir of Paul's apparitions instead of the teachings of Jesus ..
You are forgetting that Jesus chose Paul.

Without Paul, our faith might still be a small piece of the Jewish faith.

Paul opened up the faith to the Gentiles.

Without Paul, Christianity would be reserved for the circumsized Jews.

Just some food for thought....

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#188391 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks, Lucy the Ferret.
Ew.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#188392 Nov 29, 2013
Thanks Teddy and well said.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#188393 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they have.
You don't know what you're talking about, Igrope.
Again.
A Short History of Psi Research
by
Robert Todd Carroll

"Many brilliant men have investigated the paranormal but they have yet to find a single person who can, without trickery, send or receive even a three-letter word under test conditions." --Milbourne Christopher
http://www.skepdic.com/essays/psihistory.html

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#188394 Nov 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You are forgetting that Jesus chose Paul.
Without Paul, our faith might still be a small piece of the Jewish faith.
Paul opened up the faith to the Gentiles.
Without Paul, Christianity would be reserved for the circumsized Jews.
Just some food for thought....
.. without Paul, each individual would be forced to contemplate the meaning of Jesus' mystical teachings ..

.. for me, Paul devised an authoritative god acceptable to Pagans and won his place in history ..

"Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure." Jane Austen
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#188395 Nov 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious that you don't frequent werewolf threads and argue about their existence...
<quoted text>
Yes, like your "DNA didn't exist until we discovered it" bullshit.
<quoted text>
I agree.
So then why does your belief that God doesn't exist make you feel good?
If there was a site involving werewolves I would argue about their existence, although probably not as forcefully as I do against God as a belief in werewolves doesn't damage society and make people strap bombs to themselves and blow up innocent people. And
no one would tell me I'm destined for eternal torture in lakes of fire because I don't believe in werewolves.

I'm sorry the concept of scientific discoveries eludes you, and until something is discovered, science and those how listen to what science, have the sense to say at this moment in time it does not exist. I gave the example of pixie dust, you can make up anything, like anti-gravity boots, right NOW they are non-existent. 100 years from now that may NOT be the case, until that time, they are IN FACT non-existent.

I don't have a belief involving God, I simple reject your belief because you can't supply me or anyone else with evidence that your belief is true. The only thing that makes me feel good is I refuse to believe in things without evidence, makes me feel more intelligent. I also feel really good about not cowering before a demon God that condones slavery, rape, genocide, and infanticide, an evil immoral being that can peer into your most private thoughts, and a being that sends people to be tortured for eternity, an infinite punishment for a finite crime. I'm also glad I am not part of an organization that is responsible for the divisiveness of our species, and one that has spawned wars, misery and torment, for millions down through the centuries.

As you can see, rejecting your belief bring me extreme happiness.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

#188396 Nov 29, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How did your visit with your Kids and your new Grandbaby go?
It went famously, she's not a baby any more, almost 3, she lives in Jersey so I don't get to see her much, but we had a wonderful day, I can only hope you cherished your time with your grandchildren as much as I did, and thanks so much for asking.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188397 Nov 29, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. without Paul, each individual would be forced to contemplate the meaning of Jesus' mystical teachings ..
.. for me, Paul devised an authoritative god acceptable to Pagans and won his place in history ..
"Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure." Jane Austen
Paul focused quite a bit more on religious issues than Jesus did, but nothing Paul said is contrary to Jesus.

I don't know why some people try to set Paul against Jesus, they taught the same thing.

And Jesus appointed Paul Himself...

"There aren't two sides to every story, there are three. His side. Her side. The truth." -Me

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188398 Nov 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
If there was a site involving werewolves I would argue about their existence, although probably not as forcefully as I do against God as a belief in werewolves doesn't damage society and make people strap bombs to themselves and blow up innocent people. And
no one would tell me I'm destined for eternal torture in lakes of fire because I don't believe in werewolves.
I doubt your honesty.

You seem either obsessed or enraged at God, so you debate His nonexistence day in and day out.

Which is it?
I'm sorry the concept of scientific discoveries eludes you, and until something is discovered, science and those how listen to what science, have the sense to say at this moment in time it does not exist. I gave the example of pixie dust, you can make up anything, like anti-gravity boots, right NOW they are non-existent. 100 years from now that may NOT be the case, until that time, they are IN FACT non-existent.
Gravity boots?!

O_o

We weren't talking about inventions, we were talking about nature, DNA in particular.

You claimed DNA didn't exist until we discovered it.

Are you sticking to that ignorant opinion?
I don't have a belief involving God, I simple reject your belief because you can't supply me or anyone else with evidence that your belief is true. The only thing that makes me feel good is I refuse to believe in things without evidence, makes me feel more intelligent. I also feel really good about not cowering before a demon God that condones slavery, rape, genocide, and infanticide, an evil immoral being that can peer into your most private thoughts, and a being that sends people to be tortured for eternity, an infinite punishment for a finite crime. I'm also glad I am not part of an organization that is responsible for the divisiveness of our species, and one that has spawned wars, misery and torment, for millions down through the centuries.
Yup. You reject my belief and insert your own.

You do not know that God doesn't exist, it's your belief that He doesn't.

You have to understand that.
As you can see, rejecting your belief bring me extreme happiness.
No, I don't see that.

I see you bitching about something you claim to have no belief in.

Do you join Harry Pooter debate threads and bitch about how his magic is just Hollywood?

I doubt it.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#188399 Nov 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul focused quite a bit more on religious issues than Jesus did, but nothing Paul said is contrary to Jesus.
I don't know why some people try to set Paul against Jesus, they taught the same thing.
"There aren't two sides to every story, there are three. His side. Her side. The truth." -Me
https://www.google.com/search? q=There+aren't+two+sides+to+ev ery+story%2C+there+are+three.+ His+side.+Her+side.+The+truth &oq=There+aren't+two+sides +to+every+story%2C+there+are+t hree.+His+side.+Her+side.+The+ truth&aqs=chrome..69i57 &sourceid=chrome&ie=UT F-8

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#188400 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
More bull shit. The faith-based religion is the climate change side. It is a belief and a philosophy. Evidence is meaningless.
Buck Crick wrote:
This lie is much closer to the truth than the original lie offered by the Venter team... "Creating synthetic life"
Liars differ, but some would say when you are going to lie, just pick a good one and stick with it. Of course, we know scientists only pursue truth. Wink, wink.
Buck Crick wrote:
If the trend continues of getting you and Bert Legume to dial back your positions, I might be able to make you tell the truth.My position remains where it's been; yours moves toward mine.
There's hope for you and Bert. I'm glad to provide this valuable service.
I'm sure you'll understand if I chose not to respond to every one of these substance-free, defamatory, self-congratulatory opinions.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#188401 Nov 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
http://tinyurl.com/ows4nqb

Fennario

#188402 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Both you and Forest speculated on Dembski's motivation for not participating.
We know how you abhor that kind of thing
Buck Crick wrote:
Barbara Forest is a smear merchant, and nothing else.
And that.
Buck Crick wrote:
She has written about Dembski's and others' decision not to testify in conspiratorial fashion, and offered 3 contradictory theories, and writes as if all 3 are true:
1. They were scared off by her great arguments.
2. They were fired by Thomas More Legal Center.
3. Because Kitzmiller was a poor test case.
If it's your unsubstantiated opinion, who am I to question it?

Fennario

#188403 Nov 29, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Synthetic: made by chemical synthesis; esp to imitate a natural product. What part of the natural cell they used is synthetic?
The DNA.

It was synthesized exactly as you described - the de novo assembly of a chemical from its elementary constituent to mimic a natural product.

Don't tell Buck. He'll post a few unsourced opinions, insult somebody, and tell us how smart and correct he is.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#188404 Nov 29, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
A Short History of Psi Research
by
Robert Todd Carroll
"Many brilliant men have investigated the paranormal but they have yet to find a single person who can, without trickery, send or receive even a three-letter word under test conditions." --Milbourne Christopher
http://www.skepdic.com/essays/psihistory.html
Words are learned associations. There is no inherent shared emotion in words. They are very abstract. They are just sounds associated with certain meanings, and those meanings vary from person to person. Take atheist for an example.

You need to test for psi on more basic levels.

You need shared concepts to pass words telepathically. That can probably be developed.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#188405 Nov 29, 2013
“It may not look like much, but together with other tracks in the 280 million-year-old rocks of Prehistoric Trackways National Monument in southern New Mexico, this vague form has been identified as the one and only fossil impression of a scorpion body ever found. The scorpion rested here for a time, then scurried off, and the imprint of its body eventually turned to stone”

http://news.discovery.com/earth/shush-worlds-...

Eagle 12

Scorpions have been around for 430 million years according to the fossil records. Those scorpions in the fossil record look just like they do today. How did this creature self create it’s unique batch of neurotoxins that it uses against predators and prey?

We are not talking here a simple poison but a complex protein chain. Each one is a miniature chemical manufacturing facility making batches of this deadly neurotoxin.

This creature looks like it was designed and engineered to be able to produce these deadly poisons. With scorpions being around for the last 430 million years. The early one’s didn’t have much time to evolve. In 430 million years they still look the same.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#188406 Nov 29, 2013
Another question my Atheist friends.

What happened to the evolution of the scorpions prey? After 430 million years the prey of scorpions should have built up immunities and defenses against the scorpions complex neurotoxins.

One of their favorite meals is crickets. The cricket doesn’t have a chance if the scorpion nails it with its stinger.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#188407 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Your cat is an atheist?
Is that why he licks his ass?
No... no... he licks his azz, to get all the faith off of it.

He's clean like that.

You should try it sometime-- being clean I mean.

What's that? You are butt cheeks and cannot?

Oh well.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#188408 Nov 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Blob, remember, who ever is not for us is against us. Ok Blob?
Your Jesus would not recognize you at all.

Oh well.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#188409 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Hurdle insults?
Is that what they do in the verbal Olympics?
Yeah, I made a mistake-- I meant to write "hurl".

So what, Butt Cheeks? You never made a mistake?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 2 hr blacklagoon 3 64
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr 15th Dalai Lama 79,997
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 10 hr old_moose 94
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 11 hr Eagle 12 - 104
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Fri River Tam 32,582
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
what science will NEVER be able to prove Sep 15 Me _ Myself _ I 8
More from around the web