Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255872 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#188260 Nov 29, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
If Utts were correct, I would expect that many more people with bigger reputations and more influence would on board with her resulting in increased press and money for research, and the nay-saying contingent (Randi, Gardner, Hyman, Kurtz) would become marginalized like the evolution and global climate change nay-sayers. Instead, we have just a fringe group of enthusiastic advocates.
I understand the limitations of that argument, but you should appreciate its merits. It's the same approach we used to committing ourselves to a new life in what might have been a dangerous world. If it were not what we needed it to be, why were so many people like us who could live wherever they liked living there for so many years?
<quoted text>
You've already said all of this, some in the first half of this post, and I've addressed it all already:
"When it comes to religion, we’re not two sides of the same coin and you don’t get to put your un-reason up on the same shelf with my reason. Your stuff has to go over there, on the shelf with Zeus, Thor and The Kraken - with the stuff that is not evidence-based " - Bill Maher
I made no use of any point about religion.

But if I had, you would arguably have a point.

Location hidden

#188261 Nov 29, 2013
Thinking wrote:
If I was god, I wouldn't have bothered creating all those demons...
Nor have given yourself such a small penis.

Location hidden

#188262 Nov 29, 2013
<quoted text>
What is your specific claim here, and what part of this supports it? Is this a defense of your claim that Randi has been proven to be a charlatan? If so, it falls short. All this is is Adam Blake's unsupported claim.
Were you aware that the manufacturer of the high-priced cables refused to participate in the test?
"Blake Withdrawls from PEAR Cable Challenge"
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/jref-news...
Can you offer any explanation for why he might do that? Surely he had incentive to allow a third party to show the world that his speaker cables were superior even if he didn't receive the million dollars.
I have to conclude that Blake was concerned about the outcome.
========
Incidentally, why so much attention being paid to the million dollars? Let's give you the benefit of the doubt that it doesn't exist, or that some other deception is involved. Why would we care about that?
What most of us care about are the scams perpetrated against the public,...
"What most of us care about are the scams perpetrated against the public,..."

You just proved otherwise.

You care about one kind of scam.

Another kind, you write extensively to defend.

Location hidden

#188263 Nov 29, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know what I miss about the morgue?
The silence.
I realised recently that, for each of us, there is only one day that we can both live and die.
Dave may think he died but he didn't. I understand death. I've seen, touched and smelled much of it. I know what its internal temperature is.
Death has no smell, or temperature.

Which proves you don't understand it after all.

Location hidden

#188264 Nov 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Did they say grace blob? Blob, you probably smothered them and left with your rolls, Theres a reason you will never have children.
Crushed nuts?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#188265 Nov 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, we have the DEFAULT position, at least until someone is able to provide evidence that the opposite it true. 2000 years and still no one has been able to do that, so our DEFALT position stands.
Default position?

That term might be more useful to determine a good debate rather than knowledge or rationality.

Location hidden

#188266 Nov 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text>

Ive heard things I wasn't suppose to hear.
Sorry about that, Bongo.

I'll tell your sister to keep the noise down next time.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188267 Nov 29, 2013
Just Think wrote:
For reasons I'll never understand, religious folks cannot wrap their mind around the concept of "lack of belief."
Their world, not surprisingly, is very black or white - either you believe in deities or you actively believe deities don't exist. In their mind, it is simply impossible for someone to lack belief in deities.
Its one of the most bizarre things I've ever encountered.
I'd love to write more, but today is my day for actively believing unicorns don't exist and I really need to focus...
Just Think wrote:
either you believe in deities or you actively believe deities don't exist
So then either way, it's a belief system.

Thanks!

Location hidden

#188268 Nov 29, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Twisting someones words to suit your argument is very dishonest. Show me the post were I said "NOTHING IS SOMETHING."
I said, because I don't believe in absolutes, that "I am not willing to say that it is absolutely impossible for something to come from nothing" Since no one can define "nothing" then we can't know anything about it.
That is a far cry from me saying "Nothing is something."
I thought better of you than using sleazy tactics like this, guess I was wrong.
"Nothing" must either (A) exist, or (B) not exist.

If (A), then something cannot come from it.

If (B), then something cannot come from it.

Given only (A) and (B) are possible, something cannot come from nothing.

How many ways do you want to lose on this, Bert?

Because I am perfectly willing for you to lose as many times as you wish.

Have you revised your revision of "religion poisons everything" again, yet?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188269 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go again, Red.
Pulling out Merriam Webster for a question on definitions.
When will you learn?
The only objective definitions are in the books, "How Religion Poisons" everything, "The God Delusion", and "The End of Faith".
These are truly objective sources, and I suggest you stick to them.
If not, I might have to deal out the same ass-whoopin' I'm about ready to issue to Bongo.
I will never learn.

Stupid redneck.

Will you at least buy me a drink first?

Those inhibitions are pesky little critters.

Location hidden

#188271 Nov 29, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Is Jesus here?
What have I missed?
Well, so far, Rivet Tampon, you have missed CrispyKreme claiming Venter made life; IAnus embracing the science of Amazing Randi; Bert Legume claiming nothing is not nothing; Tinky Winky claiming religion poisons table tennis; and the usual claims of infinite pastries.

Oh,...almost forgot. Blob-of-Cum-on-Face asked for his nuts to be crushed at Thanksgiving dinner.

That's about it.

Location hidden

#188272 Nov 29, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Hm, I will just observe for now, make notes, profiling special people is amusing.
Thanks, Lucy the Ferret.

Location hidden

#188273 Nov 29, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
So what do you believe is the something that everything came from then if not a God?
I don't know.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#188274 Nov 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
The other day I went to my ENT and he complained about the half million dollar computer and software he was mandated to buy before Jan 1st.
That sounds like a high estimate, unless he's talking about a large clinic with multiple users. For my solo private practice, the numbers were closer to $50,000 in 2008 when I last looked into it.
Bongo wrote:
After thinking about that I realize it was a business decision because now he can continue a lucrative practice.
It was a business decision. I decided that it wasn't worth it. You cannot recover that money like you can the money you invest in an x-ray machine or a treadmill. And it doesn't help you to practice like leasing an office or hiring a nurse does. I just means that your records become digitalized and computerized, which wouldn't help me see or treat patients at all. It may help patients when they are in the ER and the ER wants their records, but I would be providing that service at my expense.

And I suspect that the main reason for the push to computerize is for government and insurers to have access to the data, not patients. My electronic records would be easily accessible to them both with or without my permission, and make it difficult to withhold or alter information without leaving a record that that had been done. Once again, you can say that you approve of that, and I might agree to a large extent, but not at my expense.

Let the government develop and provide us with free software - they can use my computer for free - and let them come in and scan and digitalize existing records and train staff to use to the system, the big up front costs besides hardware and software. The bottom line was this: here was an expensive service that served others, not me, and that I was asked to underwrite.

Fennario

#188275 Nov 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Dave claims an inordinate amount of DRs have God syndrome. They shouldn't take anything, period.
Who do you think got the pens? I can't use more than one a month, and I bought the kind I liked: Bic medium point blue ink with caps to protect my white coat. The freebies were all black ink and didn't have caps.

Let me assure you that the pen thing was nothing but a slap in the face. It served no other purpose that to disesteem physicians, and the message was received loud and clear.

Wanna hear something cool? Before they stopped giving out the pens, I collected them in a wicker basket that was full by the time I closed my doors, and I brought them all to Mexico. They go to waiters and school children mostly, all of whom are very appreciative. I've been doling them out for four years now, and I've still got about a third of them left.

But thank God they put a stop to that horrible corruption.

Fennario

#188276 Nov 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
I know they do love to render expert opinions, usually in court, at highly inflated rates, usually biased.
Then there's that attitude. It's commonplace now, but was nearly unheard of when I began in the profession in 1984. If people thought it, they weren't nearly so comfortable expressing it.

America began to demean the profession and the integrity of the people in it in earnest as early as the eighties under Reagan when the HMOs were first rolled out, and reinforced that in the nineties under Clinton, when there were efforts to roll back Medicare in order to balance the budget.

In each case, doctors were depicted as greedy, opportunistic, callous, unprincipled, and/or overpaid people in order to preemptively diminish the power of the profession to resist cutbacks in physician compensation by manufacturing consent through demonizing the target.

And as your comment nicely exemplifies, this is still the language used to describe physicians. You might as well. It's not like you can make doctors any more unhappy or leave the profession any faster, although it may influence who is willing to come into it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188277 Nov 29, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, so far, Rivet Tampon, you have missed CrispyKreme claiming Venter made life; IAnus embracing the science of Amazing Randi; Bert Legume claiming nothing is not nothing; Tinky Winky claiming religion poisons table tennis; and the usual claims of infinite pastries.
Oh,...almost forgot. Blob-of-Cum-on-Face asked for his nuts to be crushed at Thanksgiving dinner.
That's about it.
You forgot:

What do you call a Mexican in Canada?

A frostback.

HA!

Fennario

#188278 Nov 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Not that theres anything wrong with that. You may recall a quadruple homicide at a pharmacy on Long Island, by an opioid addict. It resulted in many Dr arrests and license revocations. Highly trained and credentialed persons absolutely need oversight. Do you agree with Jesus here?..When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required
Yes, I agree with that in spirit. Just be thoughtful about how you do it. You seem to take glee in the idea of demeaning doctors. Nobody can stop you from doing that, but I can assure you that multiplied by tens of millions of voices, it affects physicians' sense of how much personal sacrifice they are willing to make.

Consider this: Many of us feel that our culture welched on the implied deal: I'll gave my heart and soul 24/7 to what I considered a calling through the years of medical school, residency, and beyond, wear a beeper all day and then take calls all night and even get out of my bed to come into the ER at any hour, and read medical journals and attend seminars to stay cutting edge. In exchange, I expected respect, autonomy and to be well paid. The culture took much of all three back in my years. Do you expect your newer generation of doctors to give as much?

I realize that this sounds whiny, and that most people don't give a crap about physicians. But I thought that you might like to know anyway given the problems the nation will be facing with physician shortages.

Do you want the best and the brightest drawn to the field and to view it as a calling rather that a job option? Then reassess what you are doing.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#188280 Nov 29, 2013
<quoted text>
Who do you think got the pens? I can't use more than one a month, and I bought the kind I liked: Bic medium point blue ink with caps to protect my white coat. The freebies were all black ink and didn't have caps.
Let me assure you that the pen thing was nothing but a slap in the face. It served no other purpose that to disesteem physicians, and the message was received loud and clear.
Wanna hear something cool? Before they stopped giving out the pens, I collected them in a wicker basket that was full by the time I closed my doors, and I brought them all to Mexico. They go to waiters and school children mostly, all of whom are very appreciative. I've been doling them out for four years now, and I've still got about a third of them left.
But thank God they put a stop to that horrible corruption.
You know, as I sit here and watch the rain, the number one question that pops in my mind is: I wonder what kind of pen IANS used....?

Now my questions are answered.

Peace at last.

Thanks, pal.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#188281 Nov 29, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Did they say grace blob? Blob, you probably smothered them and left with your rolls, Theres a reason you will never have children.
No, and no and ... no again.

Your hate is showing, Genuine Christhole™.

But what else can I expect from the "prince of peace"? But hate?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min One way or another 40,162
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 36 min ChristineM 20,571
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 39 min Into The Night 15,730
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 4 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 4,624
A Universe from Nothing? 12 hr Reason Personified 18
Good arguments against Christianity 23 hr superwilly 90
For Atheists: Why do You Call Theories "Scient... Fri Into The Night 175
More from around the web