Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
180,421 - 180,440 of 224,164 Comments Last updated 8 min ago

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, anyone who is too sh|t scared that scientific progress takes another bite out of his or her personal belief in a god finds that can sat anything that helps peotecte there bubble from busting
In the end it makes no difference
However you seem to make a claim, please provide evidence for you claim or apologise for your ignorant lying outburst.
Thanks for conceding you didn't know what the hell you were talking about.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think he'd run around like a chicken afterwards?
He does that now.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Gooble Gobble!
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
You would have a terrible time adjusting, IANS. You couldn't even handle an employee of yours mispronouncing rural to your satisfaction. In her home area.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Really? It is possible for something to come from nothing?

Any entity that exists is "something".

B can come from A, when A does not exist.

A both exists, and does not exist.

Got it, Saltines.

What all can you get from nothing?

I am learning so much science from Topix atheists.

Let's see, we have the synthetic life created that was never created, we have infinite donuts, now we have things coming from things that do not exist, we have the scientific authority of The Amazing Randi.

It's hard to keep up with atheist genius.
Is your creator/designer something?

Or nothing.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
When I was a dissociated consciousness I was not "human".
<The Dave Nelson> "I was a Green Electric Mist Creature...."

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Bongo wrote:
You must have been a piss poor businessman if you helped enrich multi billion dollar drug companies for pens.
Thanks for the kind words, but notwithstanding all of my other criticisms of the industry, the pay was fine.
Bongo wrote:
I was saddened by your failure in your first foray into capitalism.
Thanks for your concern, but don't be. We're fine. Everything worked out for the best.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

<quoted text>
He did that because you chose to slide the kicking tee to the right.
The rest of us understood what he mean by religion "poisoning everything," but rather than discuss the substantive issue of how religion damages so much, you preferred to quibble about whether religion poisons arsenic, too. You tend to do that when you have nothing else.
Now you criticize blacklagoon for using additional qualifiers. As you said, you like to fight,and you don't seem to care who with or about what. As I said, you're here to prevail, not communicate.
And prevail I do.

But you missed an important point. I didn't miss it.

Bert Legume exaggerated his initial assertion for a reason - to make religion look bad. That is easily done by being factual, but that was not good enough for Bert Legume. Hitchens was the originator of the statement, and for the same reason.

The point was to make religion look worse than it is.

Now, I got him to move his goalposts to "everything meaningful".

That is still an exaggeration.

You wanna' bet I can't get him to move it again?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Correct.
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/328/5981/95...
Synthia incorporates synthetic DNA.
<quoted text>
False. No synthetic DNA was created.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl...

A modern Noah's Ark.

Let's see, 25 stories high, and almost a mile long.

Quite the sailboat. Except you can't drop sails.

Can you imagine the engines and propulsion to counteract that wind? Or light breeze. And those ocean swells. Hurricanes, heat and contraction over that length. It can be scorching hot on one end and raining on the other. Bow pressures. Tidal forces.

Oh, the dreams of men.

There will be suckers buying into it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Actually, there has been a lot of success, but success in meeting the goals of science, not yours. As I said earlier, scientists aren't much interested in trying appeasing the faithful by meeting their requirements to be convinced, which are as unreasonable as yours, and still would not penetrate the shields of faith they erect were those demands met. You have set up impossible criteria, where the conditions of the ancient earth need to be extant again, which includes an atmosphere free of oxygen and no competing life around to interfere with the process, and where billions of years of natural processes need to unfold again with no human intervention permitted.
Remember, there is no debate about a designer except in the heads of the faithful. I doubt that design enters the minds of any but a few, and likely never will unless somebody can give science a reason why it should. Therefore, the default position is unguided abiogenesis, and the scientists are looking for possible pathways that nature could employed to have assembled life from chemicals - the chemical evolution that preceded biological evolution - and that is what they are working on, not jumping through your hoops.
Thank you for admitting abiogenesis is a "default position".

Looking for the evidence to support the conclusion you already hold - very scientific.

It has to be so because it has to be so.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Judged:

Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
For some strange reason Theists are quite happy with the idea that an incredibly intelligent and powerful entity can just exist without explanation but the universe can't.
That's just bad logic.
To put it simply, if the universe needs a creator then the creator needs a creator.
If the creator doesn't then why should the universe?
Invoking a God is just cheating.
I didn't invoke a god in the process.

But thanks for sharing your thoughts, IgotTurnips.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Judged:

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You err terribly. You lack understanding. Child murder? are you referring to Passover? They were warned a hundred times. He doesn't tolerate rivals or enemies. A persons spirit is eternal, what does it matter that the natural course is run including, death and troubles, we are in a fallen state. Starving kids, Wheres the parents? Babbling buffoon, you don't approve of Gods ways, tough. The elect endure until the end. The faithless, well that's foreboding isn't it?
That has to be one of the sickest posts I have ever read. If you think that 'justifies a perfect God' that deliberately kills small children and babies, that could not possibly be responsible for any form of wrong doing, then you have a very demented mind.

What the person, who you were responding to, said is absolutely true. No all powerful loving "God" would do those kinds of things and expect human beings to wroship it, and to want to be with it after they die.

Those kinds of stories were made up and told to keep people in line on this earth, and were made up by other human beings, in order to control people. We have seen that it sometimes worked too. However, it appears that humans have always found ways of treating others poorly while still claiming to be believers in such a horrid imaginary entity, but making excuses as to why their cause is justified.

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>He does that now.
Hm, I will just observe for now, make notes, profiling special people is amusing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not aunt Martha.
I'm aerobetty, remember?
Auramytha is aunt Martha.
Sorry, Bert Legume.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not aunt Martha.
I'm aerobetty, remember?
Auramytha is aunt Martha.

I'm not Aunt Martha either, Buck is Aunt Martha.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B ioelectromagnetics
The human body generates a fluctuating magnetic field. PERIOD. FACT.
It fluctuates according to the activity going on within the body, and the physical mind. PERIOD. FACT.
This field extends beyond the body. PERIODS. FACT.
Radio and EM based communications are based upon fluctuating magnetic fields. A transmitter sends a certain pattern, the receiver is tuned to receive and decode that pattern. PERIOD. FACT.
You can broadcast and receive using some of the same components and structure.
Human bodies and physical minds are constructed very similar. There is a sort of of universal organic similarity to them as far as the construction goes. One of the reasons for the senses seeming to sense the same things.
Each human is a broadcast and receiving tower for EM emissions. FACT. PERIOD.
Psi is a real phenomenon. FACT. PERIOD.
Otherwise your TV wouldn't work.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
It's a couple of guys who mounted cameras to take time lapse photos of glaciers receding over a 3 year period.
There was one chunk the size of Manhattan that calves off of one. They caught that on video.
Incredible sight. Took about an hour.
They don't just break off and float away. They actually roll over in the process.
Guess all that I've travels straight to the places where you claim it's growing.
It wasn't my claim. If I recall, it was NASA.

But those two bums with cameras sound compelling.

I read one article claiming that global warming caused that crocodile wrestling guy, Steve Erwyn, I think, to get killed by that stingray.

Ocean got so hot, the damn stingray said "I'm jumping out of this shit and killing somebody's ass!"

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, Bert Legume.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if true, though your evidence of such is woeful, there is a difference in making money off charlatans and actually BEING a practicing charlatan, as Amazing Randi has been proven to do.
Excuse me while I ponder...the alleged champion rational skeptic writing numerous posts to defend the scientific activities of...
THE AMAZING RANDI!
"Last week, magician and paranormal debunker James Randi offered the makers of Pear speaker cables $1 million if they could prove in double-blind testing there was a difference between their $7,250 cables and ordinary Monster Cables."
"In addition, according to the editor of Stereophile magazine John Atkinson, James Randi has completely fabricated the statements about Atkinson made in this "challenge". Furthermore, another audiophile who goes by the moniker "Wellfed" on the AudioAsylum forums, says he tried to take the challenge twice for what I consider a more dubious audio tweak (the GSIC chip), but was denied the opportunity and was lied to by the Randi Foundation."
- Adam Blake, CEO, Pear Cable
So nobody from Pear speaker cables or Audiophiles was prepared to take the challenge, only some unknown on the forum?
Pear speaker cables made the claim, they should take the challenge.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your creator/designer something?
Or nothing.
I don't know.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 44 min Patrick 217
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr Growupchildren 21,392
Atheism Destroyed At Last! - The Debate Of The ... 11 hr DonPanic 1,285
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 14 hr religionisillness 271
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 14 hr religionisillness 370
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu religionisillness 834
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... Thu Patrick 16
•••
•••