Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#187848 Nov 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Holy shit, you don't understand much do you. I have no problems with the Hebrews defending themselves, but God killing millions. Exactly how was God defending himself when he killed all of the Egyptian babies? How was God defending himself when he killed Apox. 20 million humans in a global flood? He killed a lot of Israelis also, 50,700 of them just for looking into the Ark Of The Covenant. Another 24,000 with a plague. How was he defending himself when he killed Lots wife? And finally, just to show you the difference between fighting in a war and killing just for the fun of it, as your God does. Your God sent 2 bears to rip apart 42 youths, they died in fear and agony, their crime for such a gruesome death? they mocked Elisha's bald head!!!! Nice God you worship there skippy.
Eagle 12 wrote:
You know the story of Nineveh, right? Jonah was sent to Nineveh to tell them God was going to wipe them out. Destroy the entire city, everything. But Nineveh had a King that was wise and called for the entire city to fast and pray for Gods forgiveness and mercy.
God spared Nineveh and he would have spared all the others in your example if they had changed their ways and repented. God can show extreme mercy or extreme judgment. Lot’s wife was given instructions to not look back. She disobeyed and was lost to Gods judgment. Egypt was given ample warnings leading up to the first born dying. If they had placed lambs blood over their doorpost. They would too would have been saved. Remember the story of Jericho? God spared Rahab and her family because she asked for mercy. To show the completeness of Gods mercy and forgiveness. The lineage of Jesus came from Rahab’s bloodline.
You realize that it would be just were that god real and had we the power to kill it to do just that for the crimes it has committed against humanity and to release the souls in hell from their pointless torture. What monster in all of fiction has killed and tortured more souls? What creature has done us more damage than that?

I don't expect you to agree with that. I understand that you cannot permit yourself to think such thoughts, and why. Instead, you'll think that might makes right, and say that if it created us, it's free to do as it likes with us.

But that's also part of the reason: the psychological terrorism.

By not being a believer, I am free to say those things to myself and to you.

I hope you're getting something of value in return for what you give up for your beliefs, which includes a part of your humanity - the part that has you defending the reputation of a creature like that out of fear of what it might do to you, and calling what it allegedly feels for you and what you feel for it love.

Sorry about being so blasphemous and unflattering about the faithful. It isn't my purpose to offend you. But you have shared your beliefs with us, and that is what I believe and how I feel. I strongly disapprove of the effect that the church has on the intellectual and moral growth of so many people.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#187849 Nov 28, 2013
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Fennario

#187850 Nov 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
You are back painting all believers with the same brush. Stereotyping? Should we label the entire US Army as criminals for the My Lai Massacre in Vietnam in 1968. Or was it just a handful of rouge soldiers? Did you know that some of the women were ganged raped and their bodies mutilated? If the actions of a few represent the entire entity then you Sir are guilty of the My Lai Massacre. I’m only bringing this up to show you that your stereotyping millions is wrong. Don't be hypocritical Doctor, you're better than that.
I think you're confusing institutions with their recruits. Our attention should not be trained on individual Christians or individual soldiers, who, as you imply, vary over a wide range, and are not responsible for policy, but on the church and the government that are.

On the thread in which I spent most of this year, I was frequently accused of just what you accused blacklagoon: condemning every Christian and every congregation for the bad deeds of a few. But the fact is that I never pointed my finger at that level, but at the top - the church, by which I mean an abstraction that transcends individual people and buildings, and includes the traditions, beliefs, values and methods that have persisted over centuries as people and buildings have come and gone. That is the problem, not you or the vast majority of other adherents. You believers are its immediate victims, and the rest of us are its second hand victims.

Fennario

#187851 Nov 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Vicious because he spared a entire city?
Vicious because he (allegedly) threatened an entire city, and destroyed many others. The Christian god behaves like a petulant child would if it ruled the universe.

Did you ever see the episode of the Twilight Zone called "It's A Good Life" where Billy Mumy (before his role as Will Robinson in Lost In Space) plays a kid named Anthony, who is relatively omniscient and omnipotent - able read minds and kill people who didn't kiss his ass with thought alone. Here are some excerpts from the episode:

That's how I see the Christian god - a black hole of need that throws if it isn't worshiped enough and in just the way it likes it. Christians defending it remind me of the adults in the episode:

ANTHONY: "I made a gopher with three heads ... I'll make him dead now. I'm tired of playing with him. Be dead! Gopher, you be dead!"

TERRORIZED MAN: "It's real fine that you done that. That's real fine, Anthony. You're a good boy, Anthony. We all love you. Don't we Annie? Don't we love Anthony? We sure do love him. We love that boy."
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#187852 Nov 28, 2013
You're welcome. I've seen Tim live twice - highly recommend him.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I hadn't seen that, but it's certainly on point - both my specific point about alternative medicine and the greater point about magical thinking. Thanks for sharing that.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#187853 Nov 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
I found this survey very telling:
90% of ALL American are religious, have a personal God they pray to and worship.
When we go to those Americans who are educated, possessing masters and doctorate degrees that percentage drops to 60%
When we include scientists of all fields we find it drops to 40%
And when we include "elite" scientists, those in charge of major research programs the number drop further to just 7%
It does seem as though most polls taken over the years bears out the fact that intelligent levels favor the non-believers.
We see the proof of this everyday on topix with people rejecting scientific facts and grossly misunderstanding scientific concepts, or at worse having no education in the sciences whatsoever.
Your reading of the statistics is propaganda.

First, you have no statistics on intelligence - you cited education level, then drew your final conclusion as reflecting intelligence.

Second, you disregard the environment of higher education being very secular, liberal, and indoctrinating.

Third, "a personal god they pray to and worship" is not the same as simply belief in a higher power, yet your conclusion employs the term "unbeliever". Apples and oranges.

But hey, you almost had a point.

Fennario

#187854 Nov 28, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
Did you know that, according to the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (AKA Rules of the Road), "When two vessels are approaching end-on, or nearly end-on, so as to involve risk of collision, each shall alter course to starboard"?
I assume that you mean approaching bow to bow. That sounds familiar. My father sailed when I was a boy.

Fennario

#187855 Nov 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
[Religion] poisons the mind, it poisons the decision we make on a daily basis, it poisons the interaction between people, it poisons whatever method that could be used to unify peoples, it poisons relationships, it poisons the minds and causes psychological damage to the young, it poisons reason and logic, so in the end it does poison everything meaningful.
Nicely summarized.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#187856 Nov 28, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Brilliant!
And ..... exactly.... nobody is ever, in a past life, Mortty, the collector of horse manure in the streets...
Actually, Blob, yes they are.

Studies where past life experiences are catalogued, such as those by Dr. Helen Wambach and Dr. Ian Stephenson, reflect exactly the proportion of lower, middle, and upper class social status as occurs in the population demographics of the era.

And the breakdown of women to men is 50 - 50.

And other features, such as diet, eating utensils, and tools reported match the time period of the experiences reported.

Under hypnosis, only 10% claimed memories of upper class life, a third claimed to be merchants and laborers, and the remainder as poor or disadvantaged.

Congratulations, Blob. Once again, you get it backwards.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#187857 Nov 28, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>

Boy, you nailed that one.
Thanks, man.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#187858 Nov 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And just how many times must you be told that the God you worship murders innocent little babies and destroys unborn fetuses? How many time must you be told that until you can offer evidence, your God exist ONLY in your imagination.
Here are some of the thing IMPOSSIBLE for your GOD
1.) Healing amputee's
2.) Answering the prayers of parent who's children are dying from cancer
3.) Answering the prayers of thousands of parents watching their children die horrible of starvation.
4.) Stopping the tsunami that killed thousands in Japan.
5.) And MOST important, revealing himself to ALL people so as there could be no possible doubt as to his existence, thereby ending centuries of divisiveness among our species.
"Unborn fetuses"?

As opposed to what kind of fetuses?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#187859 Nov 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And just how many times must you be told that the God you worship murders innocent little babies and destroys unborn fetuses? How many time must you be told that until you can offer evidence, your God exist ONLY in your imagination.
Here are some of the thing IMPOSSIBLE for your GOD
1.) Healing amputee's
2.) Answering the prayers of parent who's children are dying from cancer
3.) Answering the prayers of thousands of parents watching their children die horrible of starvation.
4.) Stopping the tsunami that killed thousands in Japan.
5.) And MOST important, revealing himself to ALL people so as there could be no possible doubt as to his existence, thereby ending centuries of divisiveness among our species.
Amputees are already healed.

That was the purpose of the amputation.

Moron.

Fennario

#187860 Nov 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Each person is responsible for their own salvation.
You can't know any more about things like gods and afterlives than anybody else. You have no extra senses or faculties for that. I know what you can know and what you cannot know.

We are each responsible for using our heads to avoid the traps that predators have set for us. You were given an innate sense of reason and of moral truth (conscience). You have had to deny and subvert them both to get to the place you are - apologist for a cruel, irrational god.
Eagle 12 wrote:
I wish I could save you but I can't. You have to be willing to be saved. You have been brainwashed
You took the words right out of my mouth. You are as beyond the reach of my words as I am beyond yours.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#187861 Nov 28, 2013
I gave up on your polemic at ten typos.
Sucks to be you.
Dr shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
he is mentaly retard, and brain inside is full of old bird s...only stinks flows from his nose,ears,and a...
his mentaly phisical failure is his foult0 drugs,alcohol,stupidity,lack of education,violent movie made him complete retard and psychopath

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#187864 Nov 28, 2013
<quoted text>
We have plenty of Mexicans where I live, but they're all pretty much legal. I can't tell you much about butt ramming, but this cabbie might:
http://unfortunatelynamed.com/...
Word has it that Ram is the nephew of Mustafa Johnson and Ivana Weiner twice removed.
I was highlighting bucks stupidity in his abusive comment. I hope it did not offend you?

Fennario

#187865 Nov 28, 2013
Thinking wrote:
http://www.washingtontimes.com /news/2013/aug/9/kuhner-who-be trayed-navy-seal-team-6/
<quoted text>
Thanks. I hadn't heard about that. It seems Eagle hadn't either. I wonder why? I don't watch American news now, but I still hear the big stories. Anything that can be used to weaken the president normally becomes conversation for months or years. Why not this?

Fennario

#187866 Nov 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
The starving children, where are the parents? In southern Africa they are right there with their dying children, unable to find food for them.
http://iconicphotos.files.wordpress.com/2009/...
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#187867 Nov 28, 2013
It's a tragedy to lose so many soldiers at once.
<quoted text>
Thanks. I hadn't heard about that. It seems Eagle hadn't either. I wonder why? I don't watch American news now, but I still hear the big stories. Anything that can be used to weaken the president normally becomes conversation for months or years. Why not this?

Fennario

#187868 Nov 28, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
90% of ALL American are religious, have a personal God they pray to and worship. When we go to those Americans who are educated, possessing masters and doctorate degrees that percentage drops to 60%. When we include scientists of all fields we find it drops to 40%. And when we include "elite" scientists, those in charge of major research programs the number drop further to just 7%
Another good post.

Fennario

#187869 Nov 28, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
All children belong to God both alive and those that have passed.
"It is a horrible idea that there is somebody who owns us, who makes us, who supervises us waking and sleeping, who knows our thoughts, who can convict us of thought crime, thought crime - just for what we think, who can judge us while we sleep for things that might occur to us in our dreams, who can create us sick (as apparently we are) and then order us on pain of eternal torture to be well again. To demand this, to wish this to be true, is to wish to live as an abject slave. It is a wonderful thing, in my submission, that we now have enough information, enough intelligence, and - I hope - enough intellectual and moral courage to say that this ghastly proposition is founded on a lie, and to celebrate that fact, and I invite you to join me in doing so." - Christopher Hitchens

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 10 min Eagle 12 - 32,585
what science will NEVER be able to prove 39 min Eagle 12 - 10
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 40 min 15th Dalai Lama 80,049
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 49 min Eagle 12 - 106
News People's forum - Get off the fence of religious... (May '10) 53 min Eagle 12 - 69
News Atheist inmate wins right to practice his faith... (Aug '15) 2 hr Eagle 12 - 154
News Atheist billboards to mock Romney, Obama faith (Aug '12) Sep 15 superwilly 47
More from around the web