Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254892 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#187731 Nov 27, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the best thing about you, Dave - your beautiful spirit. not your sage advice or mastery of science and philosophy.
Yours will drown with you after your turn to fall off the boat.

Do you really think your preaching eternal death and slavery to your earthly masters is going to be worth anything to me, IANS?

You are utter and total death and uselessness. You will leave nothing of value to the human race and will have nothing to look forward to.

Living in the moment is fine, as long as you have subsequent moments.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#187732 Nov 27, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
It was not "hard" enough data to commit men, materials, and action to at the present state it was in. Both "experts" said it was something that needed to be further investigated in another form because the results were way above chance. It is still being researched somewhere, somehow, and maybe even by the military or intelligence services. It may even be employed by them. It is just not the sort of thing you advertise you are doing.
That's appropriate. The findings need explaining.

But for now, the only possible position for a rational skeptic remains agnosticism, meaning nonacceptance of the claims of those who say that the paranormal has been scientifically proven.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#187734 Nov 27, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Hyman, a known skeptic, did not disagree with the analysis of the results, but just could not bring himself to concur with Utts that psi is proven.
Then I should just take the opposite of what he said because if he were honest, he would have said that instead? Good advice, Buck. Thanks for thinking for both Hyman and me.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#187735 Nov 27, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah.
That's why it has spiked WAY beyond all historical cycles, covering hundreds of thousands of years, in the last 100 years.
Sure.
OK.
All man-made sources constitute from .3% to 4%, depending on what source is referenced.

Satellite observations show the highest levels of CO2 are present over non-industrialized regions like the Amazon.

The five-year period ending 2013 has seen 2 hurricane landfalls. That is a record low since 1900.

Greenland ice sheets were smaller 3000 years ago than today

Arctic Sea ice extent is the same as it was 40 years ago.

Arctic temperatures peaked before 1950, stable to declining since.

A new paper confirms the Sun was particularly active during the latter 20th century, coinciding with slight climate warming. The same phenomenon occurred on Mars, where there are no automobiles or smokestacks, as far as we know.

A new report published today by the Global Warming Policy Foundation concludes that there has been no increase in extreme weather events in recent decades.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#187736 Nov 27, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you actually saying that when it comes to explaining our reality, you consider the bible to be more reliable than science?
No.

Since: Oct 13

glendale, ca

#187737 Nov 27, 2013
i dont know any Christians or Catholics that do anything for anyone except themselves. its a total social status nowadays and since i have denounced organized religion ( i went to catholic school and never fed on the **)whenever i tell ppl im not a christian they try to convert, whenever i tell someone im atheist i leave them the hell alone to believe what ever foolishness they want to believe. The bible is theology not a history book.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#187738 Nov 27, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Blob of messy face, youre a topix phenomena. A perfidious obsessive ugly one. Theres a vast right wing conspiracy that's gonna git ya, lol
Jesus. You are so like him.

... not.

LMAO!

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#187739 Nov 27, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Lies? Blob drunk poor and stupid is no way to traverse life. This is your way,Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy)- a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
It's cute how much you think I care about you.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#187740 Nov 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Supply said evidence.
(and try not starting a few posts with the word "Buck"....)
Thinking wrote:
Exhibit A: "Ouch."
<quoted text>
Is that your evidence?
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#187741 Nov 27, 2013
In a world of miscarriages, cot deaths and childhood leukaemia, your assertion that I need to give examples of avoidable suffering was treated with the contempt it deserved.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Supply said evidence.
(and try not starting a few posts with the word "Buck"....)
<quoted text>
Is that your evidence?
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#187742 Nov 27, 2013
Absolutely. I think you've seen this Tim Minchin video before.

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep.
And the people excited about it now will lose interest in it and pursue Bigfoot.
On a related note, there's no alternative medicine, either. If it works, it's medicine. If it's an alternative to it, it's not medicine.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#187743 Nov 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
It's cute how much you think I care about you.
.. thanks. I knew we could be friends ..

.. by chance, is there a Mrs. Bob ??..
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#187744 Nov 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Holy shit, you don't understand much do you. I have no problems with the Hebrews defending themselves, but God killing millions. Exactly how was God defending himself when he killed all of the Egyptian babies? How was God defending himself when he killed Apox. 20 million humans in a global flood? He killed a lot of Israelis also, 50,700 of them just for looking into the Ark Of The Covenant. Another 24,000 with a plague. How was he defending himself when he killed Lots wife? And finally, just to show you the difference between fighting in a war and killing just for the fun of it, as your God does. Your God sent 2 bears to rip apart 42 youths, they died in fear and agony, their crime for such a gruesome death? they mocked Elisha's bald head!!!! Nice God you worship there skippy.
You know the story of Nineveh, right?

Jonah was sent to Nineveh to tell them God was going to wipe them out. Destroy the entire city, everything. But Nineveh had a King that was wise and called for the entire city to fast and pray for Gods forgiveness and mercy.

God spared Nineveh and he would have spared all the others in your example if they had changed their ways and repented. God can show extreme mercy or extreme judgment.

Lot’s wife was given instructions to not look back. She disobeyed and was lost to Gods judgment. Egypt was given ample warnings leading up to the first born dying. If they had placed lambs blood over their doorpost. They would too would have been saved.

Remember the story of Jericho? God spared Rahab and her family because she asked for mercy. To show the completeness of Gods mercy and forgiveness. The lineage of Jesus came from Rahab’s bloodline.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#187745 Nov 27, 2013
Title Loans wrote:
i dont know any Christians or Catholics that do anything for anyone except themselves. its a total social status nowadays and since i have denounced organized religion ( i went to catholic school and never fed on the **)whenever i tell ppl im not a christian they try to convert, whenever i tell someone im atheist i leave them the hell alone to believe what ever foolishness they want to believe. The bible is theology not a history book.
You need to get out more. Apparently you don’t know anyone.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#187746 Nov 27, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what you mean about the success of prayer.
It certainly worked for the 9/11 bombers when they prayed to their god.
It also worked for Osama bin Laden when he received the triple tap from members of Seal Team Six.

Let’s not forget Khalid Sheikh Mohammad, it worked for him after he was water boarded 183 times. He now lives in a 4 x 6 concrete box.

Oh there’s Mohammed Atef Al-Masri. He was killed in a US drone strike in November 2001. It must have worked for him too.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#187747 Nov 27, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that would be apt.
There's also been talk of locating Alfred the Great's remains but that's gone quiet.
A regression hypnotist told me I was Ivan the Terrible in a previous life.

I looked up his picture. http://www.google.com/imgres...

Don't see the resemblance.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#187748 Nov 27, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You know the story of Nineveh, right?
Jonah was sent to Nineveh to tell them God was going to wipe them out. Destroy the entire city, everything. But Nineveh had a King that was wise and called for the entire city to fast and pray for Gods forgiveness and mercy.
God spared Nineveh and he would have spared all the others in your example if they had changed their ways and repented. God can show extreme mercy or extreme judgment.
Lot’s wife was given instructions to not look back. She disobeyed and was lost to Gods judgment. Egypt was given ample warnings leading up to the first born dying. If they had placed lambs blood over their doorpost. They would too would have been saved.
Remember the story of Jericho? God spared Rahab and her family because she asked for mercy. To show the completeness of Gods mercy and forgiveness. The lineage of Jesus came from Rahab’s bloodline.
That's a rather vicious and needy god you worship...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#187749 Nov 27, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And each little pig never questioned the other on his choice of building materials. The three little pigs was written by a contractor.
There are a great many believers who are anti-medicine, the entire Christian Science membership, and of course Red-dick, who would stay home and cure himself. Hope he never has an artery blockage or a faulty heart valve, I'll just love to see the home cure for those. I wonder if it involved any tools from his workbench?
You do know that parent of a young boy are now serving time prison because they refused to bring this gravely ill child to a doctor or hospital, rather they sat and prayed as the watched this poor child slowly die in agony. One more reason to believe that religion does poison everything.
You are back painting all believers with the same brush.

Stereotyping?

Should we label the entire US Army as criminals for the My Lai Massacre in Vietnam in 1968. Or was it just a handful of rouge soldiers? Did you know that some of the women were ganged raped and their bodies mutilated?

If the actions of a few represent the entire entity then you Sir are guilty of the My Lai Massacre. I’m only bringing this up to show you that your stereotyping millions is wrong.

Don't be hypocritical Doctor, you're better than that.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#187750 Nov 27, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a rather vicious and needy god you worship...
Vicious because he spared a entire city?
Bongo

Coram, NY

#187754 Nov 27, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus. You are so like him.
Thank you, BLOB

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 7 min Patrick 11,295
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 10 min ChristineM 50,924
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 19 min Richard 9,583
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 51 min READMORE 29,424
News Revered Artist Was an Atheist Who Rejected God.... 56 min nanoanomaly 40
News Richard Dawkins - God is evil, pedophilesa not ... (Sep '13) 2 hr nanoanomaly 3,153
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 5 hr Uncle Sam 345
More from around the web