Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Be strong ...”

Since: Nov 10

...I whispered to my coffee

#187328 Nov 26, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
He became a familiar face in the States as Ned Stark on Game of Thrones, whose character was pretty heroic as I recall - a man of loyalty and integrity that was executed unfairly. Was that show seen in the UK? Did you see it?
It was in the UK, I did not watch it because I had previously read the books and found them not to my liking. From what I hear the TV adaptation went way beyond the books and I missed some good stuff.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#187329 Nov 26, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I am sorry if I implied that morality was set in stone, it isn't.
As I see it, at least in the discussion you and I are having, there are two options.
1.) Life arising from abiogenesis.
2) Life being created by a God being.
In the number one premiss we are dealing with things found in reality. We have a scientific working hypothesis which can demonstrate that amino acids, the building blocks for ALL life can be created from non-living matter, chemicals. Chemicals that were most likely present in an early earth. The catalyst for this process required energy, in the lab it was done with jolts of electricity, the catalyst in the early Earth was most likely the very energetic component of the sun,m its ultraviolet radiation.
The various compounds water, ammonia, methane and hydrogen are a thermodynamically stable mixture, which means molecules won't alter into anything else UNLESS there is energy present to kick them uphill. There was energy, heat from volcanos, the heat and ionizing power of lightning, and as I mentioned intense radiation from the Sun.
In number two all you have is a belief with absolutely NO scientific support, just simply "I have FAITH that God created man.
I like science, I find it extremely interesting and revealing, so to me, of the two proposals, the scientific one that support the possibility of abiogenesis seems most likely to me.
Of course we could also throw in the possibilities of panspermia, that life was seeded, either purposely or by chance, an astroid or some other space debris colliding with an early earth.
OMG.

So if it isn't abiogenesis, then aliens or an asteroid must've seeded this works with life, huh?

ANYTHING but God, right?

You're not talking science, you're talking hypothetical science fiction nonsense.

There's nothing to back up your belief in abiogenesis, aliens or asteroids.

“Be strong ...”

#187330 Nov 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Rational atheists don't even make that claim.
They argue that the evidence is not compelling.
But rationality is not expected of you, so carry on.
Don’t talk wet all your life, take a day off

You seem to be confusing agnosticism with atheism but that’s not really surprising, anything not buck is anathema to you. Look at the definition of atheism, you may be surprised
Keyser Soze

Istanbul, Turkey

#187331 Nov 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The bible said god created evil.
Are you asking if that was done to keep god in work?
<quoted text>
Precisely. Why else?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187332 Nov 26, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I am sorry you do NOT understand the scientific process. Incremental advances, self-correcting, hypothesis driven, no absolutes, only, and I'll try this just one more time THE VERY BEST EXPLANATION AT THIS PRESENT TIME. If new information becomes available tomorrow, the EXPLANATION will then become the VERY BEST at this PRESENT TIME.
If you distrust science so much and have such distain for it, I would definitely avoid hospitals and medical science like the plague........Oh yeah, we don't have to worry about plagues wiping out huge portions of society thanks to science, at least AT THIS PRESENT TIME.
No sweat, pal. I do avoid hospitals. Only used them once in over twenty years.

I'm good without em.

“Be strong ...”

#187333 Nov 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
No rational Atheist could argue otherwise.
If someone brings me some peer reviewed evidence of some form of god, I'll gladly look at it.
<quoted text>
Don’t hold your breath, never going to happen

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#187334 Nov 26, 2013
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi IANS
I really enjoy Game of Thrones. I'd put it at the top of my list of favourite shows. Ahead of Breaking Bad, Homeland and The Walking Dead.
Sean Bean made his name back in the nineties in Sharpe. Based on the Napoleonic War books of Bernard Cornwell and well worth watching if you like tales of high adventure and derring do.
Hello there old friend!

I could tell from my Google search that he had made a name for himself many years ago by the shots of him as a much younger man. But I first saw him in Game of Thrones.

I haven't seen Homeland or The Walking Dead, but I did just watch all 62 episodes of Breaking Bad mid-September and now when AMC rebroadcast them prior to airing the series finale.

Incidentally, did you notice that the families were roughly named after the two branches of the Plantagenet line that fought the War of the Roses, the Lancasters (red rose) and Yorks (white rose)? In Game of Thrones, they were the Lannisters and Starks.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187335 Nov 26, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>If you irrational and logic and reason elude you then I suppose you will see a different truth. There is however only ONE truth, that which can be proven. Logic 101.......either A is or A isn't it can't be both. It is not possible to see A as isn't if evidence supports A as is. Unless of course you reject the evidence, only then can you have a different truth.
"Everything we hear is an opinion." Of course this would be false, when talking about factual things. "If you jump off the bridge you will fall." is NOT an opinion, it is a FACT. "The Earth revolves around the sun and spins on its axis." is NOT an opinion, it is a FACT. Of course we have false opinions as in "Evolution is only a Theory not a fact" Of course this would be an opinion, it would be false, but still an opinion. So things that are factual are NOT opinions, they are truth's.
Nope.

Some people might say; "If you jump off the bridge you will fly".

Opinion, man. All opinion.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187336 Nov 26, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya know RR - if I may - I do find an objection to some of the statement as you posted it.
Why?
Well, the supernatural world of ghosts and spirits has been observed and has been tested by many people using many scientific devices, yet many still think it is a false dimension, thus discern it to be not fact.
So yes - either the statement above that blacklagoon wrote is not accurate, or he doesn't agree with the statement he made in regards when it is applied to the spiritual dimension.
To each his own.
Agreed.

Well stated.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#187337 Nov 26, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t think, I know, all you need to do is the sums. I realise sums are probably beyond you but that’s not my problem
You really have no idea of the scope of that equation do you?
Oh yeah, that's quite an equation.

It inadvertently proved you are a moron.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187338 Nov 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The flaw in your argument is that you have to prove no other species in any universe got their proof in first.
<quoted text>
What other species in other universes?

List one of them.

Just one.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#187339 Nov 26, 2013
I'm not a believer. I think religion is about the politics of oppression.
Keyser Soze wrote:
<quoted text>
Precisely. Why else?

“Be strong ...”

#187340 Nov 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is, BartBuffoon, if the best guess of science on matters are proven wrong later, science was wrong at the time.
That being the case, science is likely wrong about some things they tell us now.
This would suggest it unwise to totally trust science.
Comprehension. Work on it.
So rather than not trusting in science, that was never intended to be static but to learn through investigation, you would much rather take the word of bronze age goat herders and escaped slaves on the basis of no evidence whatsoever.

Fine….

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#187341 Nov 26, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:

.. why does the universe exist ??..
.. what is the meaning of life ??..
.. is there a God or is it all an illusion ??..
.. is this all there is ??..
Great questions. I, of course, cannot answer them. I don't think anyone truly can. But I'll try.

1. The universe exists because it does.
2. The meaning of life is a good cup of coffee.
3. There is a God.
4. No. There's much more out that that we can't see and don't know about.
.. thanks for your honesty; your answer makes perfect sense ..
.. when an individual is unable to solve a problem,(s)he instinctively seeks out an authority figure for guidance, advice or assistance ..
"Instinctively". Perfect word.

I agree.
.. what do you think of Noam Chomsky's quote below ??..
“I think it only makes sense to seek out and identify structures of authority, hierarchy, and domination in every aspect of life, and to challenge them; unless a justification for them can be given, they are illegitimate, and should be dismantled, to increase the scope of human freedom.”
.. to me, Chomsky is saying we must question the authority of the church for the good of humanity, my old fear -vs- freedom argument ..

I think Chomsky's an anarchist and craves beating down the 'man' that he thinks is suppressing him.

I think that quote says he doesn't understand that it's the "hierarchy" that allowed his political views to flourish. I also think he's ungrateful.
.. OH !! Thanks. So, Satan makes people post scripture that serves their individual needs ??..
'Twas a joke. A pun on that weird guy from Ancient Aliens. What's-his-name with the big head of black hair. The loon.

“Be strong ...”

#187342 Nov 26, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah, that's quite an equation.
It inadvertently proved you are a moron.
My dearest Butt Crack, whassup? Getting to ya? Getting to ya? Getting to ya?

It proves that your god as described in revelation 19:6 cannot exist in this universe at the same time as you.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#187343 Nov 26, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. That is why we don't use the Bible as a science book. It has been proven to be wrong time after time.
So has the science book.

So what book do you recommend?

Facebook?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#187344 Nov 26, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So rather than not trusting in science, that was never intended to be static but to learn through investigation, you would much rather take the word of bronze age goat herders and escaped slaves on the basis of no evidence whatsoever.
Fine….
Or I could choose you instead of the goat herder.

Right now, the goat herder is looking pretty good.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#187345 Nov 26, 2013
Igor Trip wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is a scam the he could be taken to court and made to pay up. So why wasn't he sued?
"According to Randi, Geller tried to sue Randi a number of times, accusing him of libel. Geller never won, save for a ruling in a Japanese court that ordered Randi to pay Geller one third of one percent of what Geller had demanded, but this ruling was canceled, and the matter dropped when Geller decided to concentrate on another legal matter.[5][89]"
"In 1991, Randi commented that Uri Geller's public performances were of the same quality as those found on the backs of cereal boxes. Geller sued both Randi and CSICOP. CSICOP argued that the organization was not responsible for Randi's statements. The court agreed that including CSICOP was frivolous and dropped them from the action, leaving Randi to face the action alone. Geller was ordered to pay substantial damages to CSICOP.[90][91] Randi and Geller subsequently settled their dispute out of court, the details of which have been kept confidential. The settlement also included an agreement that Geller would not pursue Randi for the award in the Japanese case or other outstanding cases."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Randi#Lega...
That's not the only time Amazing Randi has been sued.

Amazing has falsified data from multiple experiments.

Amazing was ruled a liar in court.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#187346 Nov 26, 2013
Science is meant to describe the world as we observe it.
Religitards have instead to change the world to fit their scripture.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine….
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#187347 Nov 26, 2013
Still believing in a god that is, according to your own posts, not omnipotent, yet all powerful?

You muppet.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Great questions. I, of course, cannot answer them. I don't think anyone truly can. But I'll try.
1. The universe exists because it does.
2. The meaning of life is a good cup of coffee.
3. There is a God.
4. No. There's much more out that that we can't see and don't know about.
<quoted text>
"Instinctively". Perfect word.
I agree.
<quoted text>
I think Chomsky's an anarchist and craves beating down the 'man' that he thinks is suppressing him.
I think that quote says he doesn't understand that it's the "hierarchy" that allowed his political views to flourish. I also think he's ungrateful.
<quoted text>
'Twas a joke. A pun on that weird guy from Ancient Aliens. What's-his-name with the big head of black hair. The loon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism saved me 2 hr Elganned 30
The atheists mind 2 hr Elganned 67
News Scientific, Philosophical Case for God's Existe... 2 hr Elganned 184
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 21 hr Into The Night 95,399
Why creation? Thu Elganned 60
man Jun 18 blacklagoon 3 1
News Atheism and Wonder Jun 14 Eagle 12 - 50