Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258047 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186703 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Fighter for the Boston Bruins, yeah, when they are down in your neck of the woods I'll bring him by. Call him a sissy, and I'll step back.
Fine. Step well back.

I don't want Milo Loosedick's teeth to hit you in the face.

Or his slobber, if he has no teeth.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#186704 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You could ask for an average-size penis.
.. this thread is male dominated ..

.. anyway, I'm happy with my petite pecker ..

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#186705 Nov 22, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank heaven.

I was getting so darn insecure.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#186706 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a case till I just drank 6 of 'em.
I am shocked at your appraisal, knowing how unbiased you are.
You stupid hen layer.
What is a hen layer, Buck?

Gee another of those 666 coincidences, only this time you have to stand on your head to see it, as the numbers I have to type below are 9995.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186707 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Uh-huh...
Since you think science deals with only the naturalistic realm, they should steer clear of dreams, emotions, sleep, yawning, gravity, why people are 90% right-handed and of course, purring cats.
blacklagoon wrote:
All of the things you mentioned manifest themselves in the naturalistic realm, and can be examined by science. Next batter!!!
They can be explained?!

Huh

Explain emotions.

Show me the scientific explanation of why we yawn.

Show me scientific evidence of manifested emotions.

Go.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186708 Nov 22, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm hung like a mouse.

Just not as thick.....
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186709 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You need some definitions here:
1.) God speaking.........People who hear voices I their heads are always diagnosed as mentally unstable. They actually have a place were these poor people go to be cured if possible.
2.) Prayers answered.....There is always an alternative answer to a claim that a prayer has been answered. There have been scientific studies done and show that prayers actually work, the results showed no proof for that claim. Amputees, parents who have lost children to cancer and other illnesses, along with the millions that died horribly during the holocaust, show that prayers are never answered.
3.) Miracles.......Fall under the same category and answered prayers, there has NEVER been a scientifically confirmed case of any miracle occurring.
4.) Forgiveness of sin........Sin is a religious word that applies only to those who believe such nonsense.
5.) Healing....There has NEVER been an instance where miraculous healing have been fully supported by medical science. In many cases "self-healing" has been the accepting answer.
6.) Deliverance from Substance abuse.....Comes from the inner strength that people develop to over come such problems. Since non-believers can also deliver themselves from substance abuse, it shows that no such entity is needed.
7) Many blessings.........People are responsible for their own success, hard work and intelligent decisions reap rewards, not some mythical being.
The rest is just religious gibberish, with no real meaning other than to those who share in your delusion. To the critical thinkers is appears as nothing more than "white noise"
I don’t go to a carpenter to have my back worked on. Or to a plumber to have my teeth fixed. Nor will I go to Atheistic music Doctor for the infidels definitions about God. You’re operating outside your battery limits Doctor.

[tipping hat]
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186710 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>All of the things you mentioned manifest themselves in the naturalistic realm, and can be examined by science. Next batter!!!
You making biscuits?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186711 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Don't have a mama, she died very young.
How old were you when you lost your Mom?

It's nothing to be ashamed of.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186712 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Fighter for the Boston Bruins, yeah, when they are down in your neck of the woods I'll bring him by. Call him a sissy, and I'll step back.
Don't know why logic fails you so. That something CANNOT come from nothing is an argument from ignorance, period. In order to make that claim you are REQUIRED to have examples of BOTH. We have plenty of examples of SOMETHING, but have NO examples of NOTHING, no comparison can be made, so to claim that it is totally impossible for SOMETHING to come from NOTHING, can't be proven.
Why do hockey players always seem to be missing their front grill?

They look like the good ole boys from the UK after a protest

I guess you will never find a dentist at a hocky game.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#186715 Nov 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
So. How long has it been since we have been out of caves asking the Thunder God for more game?
So. How long have we had science co-existing with religion since then?
As a matter of fact you will find religion was the initiator of science.
Your head would make a great addition to your band. Just shake it in time.
Whether or not religion initiated science has nothing whatsoever to do with proof of the existence of a god, and scientists have discovered that many of the myths of religions are, indeed, myths. So we can give praise to those religious people who did some scientific investigations.

It is too bad, though, that they did not permit the things they discovered to alter their beliefs in the unbelievable (I realize, of course, that many did change their beliefs, due to science, but not all of those who should have questioned their beliefs did so). It seems that some even well educated people will show great aptitude in many areas of their lives, but when it comes to religious beliefs, they just shut down their brains entirely (I have been in that camp most of my life).

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#186716 Nov 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
No Dave...you're just plain confused.
Go pick yourself up the new calendar, you might need it come January.
Every day is the same, Auralie. You will understand when you get older.

Rocky Ford, CO

#186717 Nov 22, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether or not religion initiated science has nothing whatsoever to do with proof of the existence of a god, and scientists have discovered that many of the myths of religions are, indeed, myths. So we can give praise to those religious people who did some scientific investigations.
It is too bad, though, that they did not permit the things they discovered to alter their beliefs in the unbelievable (I realize, of course, that many did change their beliefs, due to science, but not all of those who should have questioned their beliefs did so). It seems that some even well educated people will show great aptitude in many areas of their lives, but when it comes to religious beliefs, they just shut down their brains entirely (I have been in that camp most of my life).
Sorry that everyone is not as retarded as you, boooots. The price they pay for being more aware, I guess.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186718 Nov 22, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
David Koresh, Jim Jones, Joseph Smith, Muhammad (although it appears he was not killed for what he did). There are a lot of very impressive characters in books, and serial books that have come out in my lifetime too, Buck, but the author claimed them as fictional, and the very best knowledge we have is that the Bible is fictional too.
Yes, someone or something, got the Christian religion rolling in the first place, or it would not exist now, but the events which believers claim led to it are most likely 100% myth. That Jesus, the man, actually lived, is quite possible, and it is even possible, though we have no way of proving it, that he might have been some sort of an itinerant preacher too. Anything not natural or supernatural about him, though, is 100% myth, or at least the total lack of any evidence otherwise suggests that very strongly. All non-biblical accounts of the man Jesus would be hearsay as they were all written long after the person they write about was gone.
In case you missed the prologue, Buck and I were debating over whether Jesus was wise, impressive and or distinguished. I granted him the last one, although I also claimed that it was others that made Jesus' name an icon, not Jesus. I really don't see anything outstanding about the man if you assume that the miracles and god claims are fabricated.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#186719 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>You are a muck-swilling idiot.

We don't need examples of nothing.

If there is no nothing, then something cannot come from it, so something can't come from nothing.

If there is a nothing, something cannot come from it, so something can't come from nothing.

With any scenario, something can't come from nothing.

So something can't come from nothing.

Like protoplasm inside your skull, you stupid cork face.
So where did the designer come from?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#186720 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Good. Then you won't care if I think the roots of the hair in your nose are in your ass.
Wow!

You CAN be right!

Fennario

#186721 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
There is O (zero) evidence for abiogenesis.
I think you're just fishing for thank-yous for your unsupported opinions now given the rate at which you leave them.

The evidence for abiogenesis is life. If it wasn't designed, it evolved spontaneously from nonlife, whether on earth or elsewhere and came to earth on an asteroid or come.

The supernatural explanation has no support for it at all except the existence of life and no proof of abiogenesis yet. By virtue of being the only one of two hypotheses with any experimental support, abiogenesis is the leading hypothesis

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186722 Nov 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're just fishing for thank-yous for your unsupported opinions now given the rate at which you leave them.
The evidence for abiogenesis is life. If it wasn't designed, it evolved spontaneously from nonlife, whether on earth or elsewhere and came to earth on an asteroid or come.
The supernatural explanation has no support for it at all except the existence of life and no proof of abiogenesis yet. By virtue of being the only one of two hypotheses with any experimental support, abiogenesis is the leading hypothesis
Okay.

I believe in Genesis.

You believe in abioGenesis.

Fennario

#186723 Nov 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I think what this tells us about science is that it cannot be trusted as it seems most Topix atheists trust it. Of course science is awesome and ever-changing but it's the "facts" part about it that burns my hide.
Science is the only method for understanding the universe that has ever borne fruit, and it has done so in spades. Because it has contradicted Christianity, it is a target of the church.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Is it a fact that life creates itself? No. But it was taught that it could.
Who taught that abiogenesis is a fact? It's a hypothesis and a budding theory.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Is it a fact that we have nine planets in our solar system? No. But it was taught as fact very recently. I remember building a solar system model in school with nine planets. My kids build the same model with eight.
Is that a reason to call science wrong? Did Pluto disappear, or was the definition of a planet changed? Is that an error in your opinion.

Rocky Ford, CO

#186724 Nov 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!

The supernatural has thousands of years of belief. Along with analysis of the living experience. You have a few books and theories of the last few decades. A buncha could haves.

If science creates life from non-living matter it is design, not random chance that did it. Period. In bold letters.

Sorry.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 11 min IB DaMann 94
bigger fish to fry (Jul '11) 2 hr Suspicious Packag... 2
What are the best arguments against religion? 2 hr Richardfs 8
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 5 hr Richardfs 5,721
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 5 hr Brian_G 23,592
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 hr scientia potentia... 48,864
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 13 hr Mintz4004 21,889
More from around the web