Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258452 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186607 Nov 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Salivary stones are made up of calcuim, phosphate, and carbonate ions among other substances. When their concentration rises above a critical threshold, they precipitate out. Water is intended to dilute them. Water with calcium, phosphate or carbonate will not do this as well. By analogy, if you were trying to dilute saltwater, you would use freshwater, not more saltwater.
Sometimes you can remove them by palpation through the sublingual or parotid duct.

They often go unnoticed until engorgement or xerostomia sets in.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#186608 Nov 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
"The physical environment of earth does not include time."
Really? Can you tell us what excludes Earth from a one of the physical dimensions of the 4-D universe? Space/time is inseparable.
"Conditions are not and have never been hospitable to life forming spontaneously."
The modern abiogenesis hypothesis does not surmise life arose spontaneously.
"All life "derived from a single primordial unicellular species"
Is what the evidence points too.
Time does not exist until you try to transverse space.

"Space" can exist without time.

Space/time was created as a math means of measuring the energy that was released to set things into motion. Our little bubble of existence.

Motion makes time.

Put little Aura out all by himself in the vastness of "space", outside this bubble we exist in. There is no time but the motion within little Aura. He has nothing else to measure against.

That is what I have referred to in that yearning for manifestation. The real Hell.

You have to be polarized in some fashion to mingle with others. We do that now with gravity as the base and EM as the actuator.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186609 Nov 22, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
(Stupid smartphone)
See that not much has changed in my absence.
Actually, I thought that was your best post.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186610 Nov 22, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
See that not much has changed in my absence.
People were happier...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186611 Nov 22, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/top stories/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2HN/post 186347
I started reading this thread again for stuff like that.
Thanks for the feedback, and good to see you here.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#186612 Nov 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Time does not exist until you try to transverse space.
"Space" can exist without time.
Space/time was created as a math means of measuring the energy that was released to set things into motion. Our little bubble of existence.
Motion makes time.
Put little Aura out all by himself in the vastness of "space", outside this bubble we exist in. There is no time but the motion within little Aura. He has nothing else to measure against.
That is what I have referred to in that yearning for manifestation. The real Hell.
You have to be polarized in some fashion to mingle with others. We do that now with gravity as the base and EM as the actuator.
Time has existed ever since space has, it doesn't matter if we learned to measure it or not. But we have been measuring it for tens of thousands of years. The only space that exists without time
is inside a black hole, or inside your mouth...or something like that.

lol

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#186613 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't argue with your equating belief in abiogenesis with belief in god.
Have you told IAnus, because he believes it.
Abiogenesis isn't a belief though. It's the hypothesis of a process by which a living organism arises naturally from non-living matter.
As opposed to the belief that god created it.
God is not a hypothesis, it is a belief.
Abiogenesis is a hypothesis.
We study how this may have happened using materials and science, by testing various bio-chemical reactions with organic matter.

I think we gave up along time ago trying to test for a god, there's no chemicals or reactions that can lead to finding god.
But there is considerable effort toward the discovery of how life came to be , using this methodology.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#186614 Nov 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Time has existed ever since space has, it doesn't matter if we learned to measure it or not. But we have been measuring it for tens of thousands of years. The only space that exists without time
is inside a black hole, or inside your mouth...or something like that.
lol
You are wrong.

The BBT and the expansion of space is purely a math construct that lumps space and time together. Not necessarily the greater reality.

A seed can not start marking time until it has started to sprout, pea brain. That BBT is a metaphor for a seed.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#186616 Nov 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis isn't a belief though. It's the hypothesis of a process by which a living organism arises naturally from non-living matter.
As opposed to the belief that god created it.
God is not a hypothesis, it is a belief.
Abiogenesis is a hypothesis.
We study how this may have happened using materials and science, by testing various bio-chemical reactions with organic matter.
I think we gave up along time ago trying to test for a god, there's no chemicals or reactions that can lead to finding god.
But there is considerable effort toward the discovery of how life came to be , using this methodology.
Non-living matter was created, turnip head. Per "science".

Think process.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186621 Nov 22, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I call it dissection, and I enjoy it more than the "debates" that take place here.
Dissection captures the essence of analysis, which is the disassembly of a polymerous concept and the consideration of its elements. A related word is deconstruction. A full understanding includes an understanding of the parts to the whole, and of the whole to its context - related ideas and higher order categories categories.

By the way, since you've just recently arrived, and I've just posted a list of the philosophical topics that have been broached in this thread recently, if you missed any of them and are interested, let me know and I'll link you to them.

And that applies to those that were present but missed them, or would like to see them again. Many of these are very helpful ideas - ideas that helped me, and that I think might help others in the same way.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#186622 Nov 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong.
The BBT and the expansion of space is purely a math construct that lumps space and time together. Not necessarily the greater reality.
A seed can not start marking time until it has started to sprout, pea brain. That BBT is a metaphor for a seed.

You aren't accusing me of being wrong, you're accusing Einstein of being wrong. As matter a fact you are accusing all of science of being wrong, but that's nothing new here, same old Dave rants, different day.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186623 Nov 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
I find people interesting especially people that have history and experience.
Agree.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186624 Nov 22, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So you think evolution is a CULT?....ha ha ha ha, really now pop's ....Cult----"A "system" of "religious" veneration and devotion directed toward a particular "figure" or "object." Were's the figure or object in evolution?
Of course your "Into" it, either that or you lied. You admitted to accepting "micro-evolution" so you accept evolution period, since there is NO DIFFERENCE between miro, and macro evolution. If you believe in micro-evolution you are now officially a member of the *cult* LOL
"The really nice thing about evolution is that's it's true whether or not you believe it"
I think you are confusing your death cult with a scientific fact. It's your death cult that chants..Glooooory to Gooooood, aaaaaaamen. Praissssse the loooooord, my looooord and savvvvior. See, now don't you feel really foolish!!!
So, are you changing your tune now and saying you do not accept micro-evolution? Personally I don't think you have any idea what constitutes evolution. Reading that creationists shit WILL rot your brain.
evoluuuuuuuuuuuuuuution [laughing]

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#186625 Nov 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Non-living matter was created, turnip head. Per "science".
Think process.
You created a non living turnip head? What did you use? magnets?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186626 Nov 22, 2013
I_see_you wrote:
<quoted text>
Please elaborate on something that you feel would be an experience of God. I'm asking genuinely.
God speaking, prayers answered, miracles, forgiveness of sins, healing, deliverance from substance abuse, many blessings, his promises coming true, prophesy, salvation, supplying needs, are but just a few.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186627 Nov 22, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Are you bitter because you lost a close love one to leukemia?
You didn't ask me, but I'll answer:

I would only be bitter if I believed that somebody could have prevented the death, but allowed it to happen anyway. Otherwise, I would just be grieving.

This is a huge benefit of unbelief. There is a little boy with leukemia that is presently in remission who was on the news recently when the Make-A-Wish foundation arranged for him to live out his fantasy of being the superhero Batman. http://rt.com/usa/batkid-leukemia-saves-san-f...

If I later one day that he died of his disease, unlike the theist, I will have the comfort of knowing that it was just rotten luck, and not something that was allowed to happen.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186628 Nov 22, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that the leukaemia that your god invented at the same time as everything else?
Was that the leukaemia that your evolution invented at the same time as everything else?

evoluuuuution, breath in slowly, then exhale evoluuuuuuuuuuution.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186629 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Being a conservative means being rational. Being a liberal means being willing to give someone else's shirt right off his back.
I have what I feel strongly are better definitions.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#186630 Nov 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree.
My good Doctor,[tipping hat]

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186631 Nov 22, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
If I had known you would back up this dumptruck load of bullshit, I would have never mentioned it. Your premise is made up of whole cloth.
Nice rebuttal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 24 min replaytime 67,322
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Into The Night 28,678
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 4 hr 15th Dalai Lama 3,538
is it ever right to hate Christians as a group? Tue superwilly 21
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Tue superwilly 462
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) Apr 22 IB DaMann 5,975
News Unholy? Atheists should embrace the science of ... Apr 20 Eagle 12 9
More from around the web