Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Jul 18, 2009 Read more: Webbunny tumblelog 237,705
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#186279 Nov 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
The mythical jew/christian/muslim god makes faulty creations and then tortures them for being faulty. The poor saps that believe in god just lap it up.
<quoted text>
Poor saps indeed. It's really sad.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186280 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been waiting for you to prove there's no God.
Having a little trouble are you?
Here let me help in proving there is no God. Every Child that dies from cancer is proof that your God is non-existent. It's also evidence that prayers are NEVER answered. Next!!

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#186281 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been waiting for you to prove there's no God.
Having a little trouble are you?
It's isn't necessary to disprove that which has never been proven.

It would require proof that that there is a god, in order to provide proof there is no god.

So far that hasn't been done.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186282 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
That was your straw man argument. Mine was that trust based on experience, reason and visible evidence is nothing like blind religious faith, which is nothing like what you posted.[Rolls the boulder up the hill an inch as it slips back two]
These discussions with you are all heat and smoke, no light. That's because you argue in bad faith: You argue to prevail rather than to reach consensus. It's adversarial, not cooperative.
Buck Crick wrote:
I didn't post anything on either side of the "trust" vs. "faith" thing. Is Alzheimer's setting in? I posted on the quality of your argument.You stipulated that one point of view is blind faith, the other is based on reason, and concluded that the latter was more reasonable.
Buck Crick wrote: When you stipulate that one faith is blind, the other faith is reasonable, then argue that the latter is more reasonable,... Do you think you actually made a point?
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

The words of mine that you answered in the post linked to above were "Trust based on experience, reason and visible evidence is nothing like blind religious faith," not the words you just provided.

If you were answering some other post, then I'm going to have to answer your question above with a "Perhaps. Ask your doctor if Aricept is right for you."
Buck Crick wrote:
Neither stipulation is inherently accurate, so you are arguing for your stipulations while simultaneously stipulating them, thinking (or pretending) you are arguing for your conclusion.
Thus, my question.
[Rolls the boulder up the hill an inch as it slips back two]

As mentioned elsewhere, these discussions with you are all heat and smoke, no light. That's because you argue in bad faith: You argue to prevail rather than to reach consensus. It's adversarial, not cooperative.

Go see your doctor to ask about the Aricept.

Fennario

#186283 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
That's kinda' funny. Salute.
Salud

Fennario

#186284 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I think you should do the exams at the women's shelter. But you'll be like the pizza delivery boy... You can smell it but can't eat it.
And that was funny.

Did I ever tell you about nurse Melanie, about 30 years old and cute as a button? One morning, I came into the ICU, and Melanie offered me the last donut in the box, a heavy brown cake donut with pink frosting and sprinkles. Yucch, I thought, and said "No thanks." She must have suspected that I didn't like the look of it. In her innocence, she said to me, "Dr. Aint. Just because it's pink doesn't mean it isn't delicious. Just close your eyes and eat it."

What great nurse!

Fennario

#186285 Nov 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
I once wrestled a juvenile elephant, in Thailand. It was just like trying to move a cinder block wall.
That sounds like the sisyphean task of posting on this thread.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#186286 Nov 21, 2013
I much prefer creative insults to the sadly predictable Buck fantasies.

I don't have much time for nano, it's just another bitter creationtard with poor wit.
http://www.topix.com/forum/rel igion/atheism/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2H N/post185986
<quoted text>
LOL. "Burn her!"
Did you like those insults? I think nano does. She seems to try to wheedle new ones out of me with aggressive and provocative posting, though she seems disappointed when I reuse one. Once I told her that it made her look like the Joker when she applied make-up with a putty knife. I also once depicted her bringing truckers back to her trailer to see her macerated kitteh marinating in her own water in a Depends, then chasing after them across the desert with it around her ankles as they tried to flee her trailer.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#186287 Nov 21, 2013
Absolutely. I go to Singapore quite a bit to visit friends. Went to the 2012 Grand Prix. Seemed a bit wrong to throw nut husks on the floor, but that's what they want you to do in Raffles' bar.
<quoted text>
Small world.
Wouldn't it be nice to all meet at Raffles Hotel someday for a Singapore sling to toast reason and its fruits.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#186290 Nov 21, 2013
Did you have a classic Australian Mini based Moke?

The one I had was new and based on some really nasty Chevrolet/Daewoo. It had aircon(!) but no sides, automatic but no radio and a hatch that wanted to take your fingers off. Not a looker but it forded flash flood streams. My wife was switched on enough to cover the drainage holes in the floor on her side with her feet, I was not able to because I was driving. I would certainly rent the same again, it's just what that island demands.

I booked it through the Sixt website because it seemed to offer all the comprehensive covers you get charged extra for in the US. When I landed at Bridgetown, I watched three people painstakingly handwrite my booking details into various paper forms. Job creation, I guess.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I missed Thinking's post somehow. The Bajan "mokes" he speaks of are small vehicles with canvas fringed tops, and with an exposed engine. He was lucky to survive a tropical rainstorm without conking out--the water tends to choke off the motor. I spent a half hour stuck on a lonely road amidst a sugar cane plantation, waiting for the motor to dry off.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#186291 Nov 21, 2013
redneck is so dumb that if you spell "colour" he goes into, "Is this witchcraft? What possibly could this word ever mean?" mode.

The difference between yoghurt and redneck is that after 200 years, yoghurt would develop a culture of its own.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>No. That's the PROPER English spelling.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#186292 Nov 21, 2013
Buck took issue with that.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you proved that a broken LED clock is not right twice a day.
Hooray for you.

Fennario

#186293 Nov 21, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Here's what I know and demonstrated. You used Jesus' lack of starting and perpetuating a religion as evidence that he did nothing distinguished, assigning the credit for the religion to others.
No, I referred to the sum of his words and deeds as being unremarkable, noting as you did that the religion was not his doing.
Buck Crick wrote:
This indicates a dearth of knowledge on your part of what Jesus attempted to do during his lifetime, as you cited this as a failure to achieve. Your knowledge deficit, therefore, renders you a poor authority on how Jesus' distinguished himself. I went on to point out for you, or "demonstrate", factually, what he did to distinguish himself.
I think I know what Jesus is credited with saying and doing, but it would be irrelevant if I didn't, as you were asked what made you think Jesus was wise, and I answered that I was impressed by none of those things, which you argued about for some reason - as if what impresses you but not me is somehow objectively impressive.

What dearth of knowledge/knowledge deficit do you mean? I have read the bible. There is nothing there about Jesus that I have not read. And you have given me your argument. I am as informed as possible, and am still unimpressed.

Fennario

#186294 Nov 21, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
Would you speculate that a man had distinguished himself a bit if he had the following published and marketed about him:
Albright, William F. Yahweh and the Gods of Canaan: An Historical Analysis of Two Contrasting Faiths (ISBN 0-931464-01-3).
Badenas, Robert. Christ the End of the Law, Romans 10.4 in Pauline Perspective (ISBN 0-905774-93-0).
Bellinger, Gerhard J.. Jesus: Leben - Wirken - Schicksal (2009, ISBN 978-3-8370-3964-1).
Blomberg, Craig L. The Historical Reliability of the Gospels (ISBN 0-87784-992-7).
Bornkamm, Gunther. Jesus of Nazareth (Hodder & Stoughton, 1960).
Brandon, Samuel George Frederick. Jesus and the Zealots: a study of political factor in primitive Christianity (Manchester University Press; 1967).
Brandon, Samuel George Frederick. The Trial of Jesus of Nazareth (London: Batsford; 1968).
Brown, Raymond E.. An Introduction to the New Testament (1996, ISBN 0-385-24767-2).
Browne, Sir Thomas. Pseudodoxia Epidemica (6th edition, 1672, V:vi).
Bultmann, Rudolf Karl. Jesus Christ and Mythology (Scribner's, New York; c. 1958).
Carlyle, Thomas. On Heroes and Hero-Worship: and the Heroic in History (Ward, Lock & Bowden, 1896).
Carmichael, Joel. The Death of Jesus (Gollancz, 1963).
Cohen, Shaye J.D. From the Maccabees to the Mishnah (1988, ISBN 0-664-25017-3).
Craig, William Lane. The Son Rises: The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus (ISBN 1-57910-464-9).
Craig, William Lane. Will the Real Jesus Please Stand Up?: A Debate Between William Lane Craig and John Dominic Crossan (ISBN 0-8010-2175-8).
Crossan, John Dominic. Who Killed Jesus?: Exposing the Roots of Anti-Semitism in the Gospel Story of the Death of Jesus
Dibelius, Martin. Jesus: a study of the Gospels (S.C.M.Press; 1963).
Dunn, James D.G "Jimmy". Jesus, Paul and the Law (ISBN 0-664-25095-5).
Alfred Edersheim, The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah, 1883.
Eisler, Robert. The Messiah Jesus and John the Baptist, according to Flavius Josephus''Capture of Jerusalem'(Methuen; 1931).
Ehrman, Bart. Jesus: apocalyptic prophet of the new millennium (ISBN 0-19-512474-X).
Ehrman, Bart. The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings (ISBN 0-19-515462-2).
Fredriksen, Paula. Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews: A Jewish Life and the Emergence of Christianity (ISBN 0-679-76746-0).
Fredriksen, Paula. From Jesus to Christ: The Origins of the New Testament Images of Christ (ISBN 0-300-08457-9, ISBN 0-300-04018-0).
Hoskyns, Sir Edwyn Clement and Davey, Noel. The Riddle of the New Testament (Faber and Faber, 1931).
Jack, James William. The Historic Christ. An examination of Dr. Robert Eisler's theory according to the Slavonic version of Josephus and the other sources (J. Clarke & Co., London; 1933).
Johnson, Luke Timothy. The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus and the Truth of the Traditional Gospels (HarperOne, 1997).
--(continued)
Yes, I would, although I'm being charitable here. Strictly speaking, it was others that distinguished Jesus, beginning with Paul and the Gospel writers, and continuing through Constantine to the many authors you cited. Jesus the legend is well known today, but I can't say that Jesus himself had much to do with it. I think he was a fairly undistinguished person made into an icon after his death.

My position has never been that the man's life didn't become distinguished by others. It was and is that he was not as wise as you imply, and that his life's words and deeds including those you cited were unimpressive.

Fennario

#186295 Nov 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Those truck lovers are so manly. I saw a pickup, with those shocks that raise it way up, steer testicles hanging off the rear, and a bumper sticker reading: A MAN AND HIS TRUCK IT'S A BEAUTIFUL THING Now THERE's a guy with a small penis for you.
You mean truck nuts:
https://www.google.com.mx/search...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#186296 Nov 21, 2013
Thinking wrote:
redneck is so dumb that if you spell "colour" he goes into, "Is this witchcraft? What possibly could this word ever mean?" mode.
The difference between yoghurt and redneck is that after 200 years, yoghurt would develop a culture of its own.
<quoted text>
Laffin. Nice pun...

Fennario

#186297 Nov 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Fair enough. You were boring me anyway :) Wanna learn about shear walls and why they're an important defense against seismic threats?
Sure. Let's see of you can return the favor. I know zero about construction, but I'm ready to learn.

In fact, I was looking yesterday at what appears to be a future (above ground) flower bed that somebody just built at the dog park using wooden planks and rebar.

This is new for me. I can't remember caring enough to take the time to do that in the past, probably because the knowledge had no practical value to me. I have no interest in doing such a thing.

But at this stage in my life, knowledge doesn't need to be practical, and probably can't be except in limited areas, such as negotiating the Mexican bureaucracy.

So what have you got that might be interesting? I learned a little about roofs here at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR... , but as you can see at http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR... , I didn't get any answers to my questions, just insults to my profession. Maybe you know.

Sorry, other posters. I realize that this is way off topic, and may be uninteresting to many, but if I can't teach my friend Riverside Redneck, maybe I can learn from him. I'll take what I can get.

Fennario

#186298 Nov 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
When someone says "nothing in the Bible is true", they are full of shit. That is my argument.
Your rebuttal was that Egypt is in the bible. You won. At least one thing in the bible isn't mythical.

Fennario

#186299 Nov 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Nice. I lived on the beach side of Ocean Boulevard for 15 years, now I'm three blocks inland. Beautiful area. I recall you said you lived on Ocean, near Redondo or Loma?
Yes, I was just a hair east of Redondo living in a small apartment on E 2nd street between Termino and Ximino while training at St. Mary's (10th and Linden).

Nurse Kathi and I lived there from 1981-84, and were walking distance from the beach, where we used to enjoy skinny dipping in the wee hours of the morning. Those were busy but memorable years.

And yes, Kathi dotted the "i" in her name with a heart, and loved cats.

Fennario

#186300 Nov 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I learned a new spelling of the word yogurt today.
Yoghurt.
Coolnesses abound!
Words are fun. How about a couple more word lists? As I said, what I like about these is learning them as a group reinforces the meanings of all of them at once:

[1] maternal motherly
[2] paternal fatherly
[3] sororital, sororal sisterly
[4] fraternal brotherly
[5] filial of an offspring
[6] avuncular uncle-like
[7] materteral - aunt-like
[8] aval - grandparently
[9] novercal stepmotherly
[10] nepotal - nephew-like
[11] uxorial wifelike

[1] vernal - related to spring
[2] estival - related to summer
[3] autumnal - related to autumn
[4] hibernal/hiemal - related to winter

[1] boreal - northern
[2] oriental - eastern
[3] austral - southern
[4] occidental western

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Confessions of a black atheist 1 hr Samoan Irish 318
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 1 hr James 14,554
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 1 hr James 7,399
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr James 18,461
News Atheists open up: What they want you to know 2 hr James 19
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 2 hr James 149
News Barney Frank Advises Politicians to Stay in the... 3 hr Lib Hater 15
More from around the web