Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186090 Nov 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Ah bless... I used "may" because a broken LED/LCD clock will be right no times a day. Or a clock with no hands...
You just don't know how to think.
<quoted text>
Oh for the sake of Pete....

The phrase is: "A broken clock is right twice a day".

Are you trying to redefine that one, too?
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#186091 Nov 20, 2013
I'm able to construct sentences that I may not have read before.

You're the pedant that pulled me up on the use of "may", which I subsequently proved to be factual.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh for the sake of Pete....
The phrase is: "A broken clock is right twice a day".
Are you trying to redefine that one, too?

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#186092 Nov 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Weak response, lovey.
The world is so full of "babbles". Which one did you read to decide which other ones to follow?
Oh, thanks for the confirmation regarding "education" being indoctrination. I think I have stressed that a few times.
Glad to see you starting to see things my way.
Why weak? It answered all of your accusations, ahh, now I see what you think it weak, because you have nothing else to offer, fair enough

And even mood books, many of which are factually accurate and many are fiction, some are fantasy and some are mythological in nature. I have read many different types of book.

I have never argued that education is not indoctrination. You are imagining things now, is it mushroom season near you?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#186093 Nov 20, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why weak? It answered all of your accusations, ahh, now I see what you think it weak, because you have nothing else to offer, fair enough
And even mood books, many of which are factually accurate and many are fiction, some are fantasy and some are mythological in nature. I have read many different types of book.
I have never argued that education is not indoctrination. You are imagining things now, is it mushroom season near you?
Ah, now we are starting to dance beautifully together. You are so light on your feet, following my lead.

:-)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186094 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>yes I do, and no need for a pickup truck, and I don't care for beans and rice, I prefer fresh seafood, and a fine bottle of scotch or wine. What brand of rotten grape juice do you savages drink down there in the bible belt? I don't think they sell stuff like that up here, we much prefer the finer things in life.
Outside of the rainbow, your God apologizing for being such a prick, has your God ever apologized for murdering all those innocent little babies? Just curious.
Because you have nice sheets and can't drive a truck, do you feel superior to us little folks?

I don't drink any kind of wine. I find it disgusting. My preferred poison is beer, whiskey and tequila.

How can you not like beans and rice? Those are staple foods.

God doesn't murder, people do.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#186095 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Glad I could clear up your mistaken definition of hypothesis. As you can see it is much more than a wild ass guess. You're entirely welcome!!!
A hypothesis (plural hypotheses) is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon. For a hypothesis to be a scientific hypothesis, the scientific method requires that one can test it. Scientists generally base scientific hypotheses on previous observations that cannot satisfactorily be explained with the available scientific theories. Even though the words "hypothesis" and "theory" are often used synonymously, a scientific hypothesis is not the same as a scientific theory. A scientific hypothesis is a proposed explanation of a phenomenon which still has to be rigorously tested. In contrast, a scientific theory has undergone extensive testing and is generally accepted to be the accurate explanation behind an observation.[1] A working hypothesis is a provisionally accepted hypothesis proposed for further research.[2]
WAG

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#186096 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never been fishing with my hands or a spear, nor have I ever hunted. I don't watch fishing on television, I never bowl, have never attended a NASCAR event, and have never shot a bottle, can, or stop sign.
I don't smoke or chew tobacco. Nor do I drink beer or eat moon pies.
I've never had a mullet, nor have I owned overalls, cowboy boots, or a billed caps, and I have no belt buckles with writing on them.
I have never owned a Confederate flag, nor do I listen to Rush Limbaugh. My wheels have never been a muscle car or a pickup, and I've never been to Sturgis or Dollywood.
I have never been in a fight, never been stopped for drunk driving, never been arrested, nor spent a night in jail.
You can call me narrow if you like, but to offset those deficiencies, I have seen the auroras in Iceland, the zoos in Singapore and Guadalajara, Club Med on Bora Bora, palaces in Thailand, Vienna and Brunei, the former American Embassy in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), the Charles bridge in Prague, Harrison's Cave in Barbados, giant centipedes in the Philippines, whales breaching off of Kauai's shores, and so many flamingos in a lake in Kenya that it was pink from miles away.
Harrison's cave is cool. So is the gorgeous east coast, from Crane's beach to the north.
I'm with you on most of this, but I have a muscle car.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#186097 Nov 20, 2013
We stayed in The Crane for a week back in August. Took our Moke up to Harrison's caves, got totally soaked on the way back but we didn't care. I agree that the East coast is the most beautiful part.

I've got a Superlight Caterham, not very muscly but 4 seconds to 60 mph nonetheless.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Harrison's cave is cool. So is the gorgeous east coast, from Crane's beach to the north.
I'm with you on most of this, but I have a muscle car.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#186099 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Love the twisting and turning Eagle, doing the Christian dance of the fools, is ALWAYS very entertaining. Nice job, I swear you outdo all other Christians with your dancing abilities. Please, don't ever stop, watching you twist and turn in the wind is one of the reason's I come to Topix. Not just you, although you ARE "The lord of the Dance, but others who attempt to emulate you in dancing around the issues.
The scriptures below is what the Atheist web sites you routinely visit are referring too.

Exodus 33

11.“And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.”

20 “And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.”

However, as usually that’s where they stop. Purposely leaving out versus 21-23.

20 “And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
21 And the Lord said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.”

This kind of omission is not fair to the reader. They’re setting you up for a fall. And that’s the way it is with all of their stuff Doctor. It’s no dance it’s just showing you what they don’t want you to see.

I hope you are having a great day Doctor. Peace my good friend, peace to you.[tipping hat].

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186100 Nov 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
We stayed in The Crane for a week back in August. Took our Moke up to Harrison's caves, got totally soaked on the way back but we didn't care. I agree that the East coast is the most beautiful part.
I've got a Superlight Caterham, not very muscly but 4 seconds to 60 mph nonetheless.
<quoted text>
Do you like the dry-sump oil system?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186101 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
So, it is obvious that the NASB translation of Amos 9:6 is off base. This example is typical of the kind of objections raised by atheists. Their MO is to find an unusual translation (usually found in only one translation) and use this as "proof" that the Bible is inaccurate.
Do you think we have to search far or use obscure translations to find contradictions and other errors in the Christian bible? We don't. How about a bible quiz that I put together to illustrate this point?

I'll tell you up front that the questions chosen were selected because I believe that the bible gives us two or more mutually contradictory answers to each issue.

You seem to think that this is due to sleight of hand using flawed translations, so feel free to use any translation you prefer. Remember, this isn't a quiz about your personal preferences and beliefs, but about what the bible says, so in order for an answer to be correct, it must be complete, meaning it mus contain as many different answers as the bible does.

Only one Christian has ever tried to answer these questions, and I have provided those answers below the quiz questions. Will you or any other theist present be the second? The purpose here isn't to humiliate you, but to show how wrong you are about "the kind of objections raised by atheists" and the implication that we typically use deception. It is neither commonly done, nor is it necessary.

The questions:

[1] What were Jesus' very last words on the cross?
[2] Is man saved by faith or works?
[3] Can men be righteous?
[4] Have men seen God?
[5] Is every word from God true?
[6] Does God grow tired or weary?
[7] When asked by the Sanhedrin if he was Messiah, what was Jesus' reply?

One Christian's answers. Note that answers like the first two are not acceptable. The answer should be in the form that the next five take, although none of them was complete. They were his preferred answers, not the complete answer according to the bible:

1) Acts 1-8 about waiting for the Holy Spirit. Don't have time to post whole verse
2) James 2:24-28.
3) Yes but only by doing the Lord's will. You probably don't understand the verse that says no man is righteous is talking about why every man must become a believer. After he is righteous under God
4) Not his face in real life. Only in visions which is all man's mind could handle is his own perception
5) Yes
6) Not in the physical sense
7) He said if He told him that the man wouldn't believe him. But in Matthew he talks about his return and how any but him would be false Christs

Fennario

#186102 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But you can't refute that faith is trust...
Imagine that.
Your claim implied more than that. Are you not trying to imply that faith and trust based on experience, and faith and trust based on the will to believe are more alike than different, and/or that if one is justified, so is the other?

If not, exactly what is your point? Nobody is arguing that the same words can't be used for very different ideas. If you agree that religious faith/trust is not the same thing as evidence based "faith"/trust, then there is no real dispute here.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186103 Nov 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I'm able to construct sentences that I may not have read before.
You're the pedant that pulled me up on the use of "may", which I subsequently proved to be factual.
<quoted text>
Yes, you proved that a broken LED clock is not right twice a day.

Hooray for you.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#186104 Nov 20, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious liars will say and do anything in order to cover up for the fact that they have no proof of god.
Most scientists are atheists. Why is that? Because evolution is a fact and your silly, childish magical story is a myth.
Did you know the Scientist that fathered the Scientific Method believed in God?

Why is that?

Fennario

#186105 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
“Science also has a pretty good hypothesis on the origins of man”
Hypothesis = WAG (wild *ss guess)
Even if the scientific answer were a wild ass guess, why is that a deal breaker for a faith based thinker? Isn't that the basis of what you accept instead? Why do you criticize one wild ass guess but not the other? How do you know which one to mock?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186106 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Aristotle had no peer reviews for spontaneous generation.
But that was taught as fact for nearly 2,000 years.
Your science is wrought with failure.
says the nitwit with NO idea how the scientific method operates!!!
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#186107 Nov 20, 2013
Because Ibn al Haytham was born amongst muslims in Basra?
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know the Scientist that fathered the Scientific Method believed in God?
Why is that?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186108 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh no!
AN ATHEIST CONTRADICTION!!
I'm quivering in my lil boots over here...
Comprehension boy, COMPREHENSION. It is a BIBLICAL contradiction not an Atheist contradiction. Maybe you've had too much of that rotten grape juice you inbreeders drink.

Fennario

#186109 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Gen 32:30 states,“…for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.” However, John 1:18 states,“No man hath seen God at any time…” Both statements cannot be true. Either there is an error of fact, or an error of translation. In either case, there is an error. And if there is an error, then infallibility of the Bible (in this case the King James Version) is falsified
You just got quiz question [4] correct. The correct answer to [4] "Have men seen God" is Yes and No.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186110 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, really.
Deal with it.
You don't believe in the good book anyway, what do you care?
The "good book?" Whats good about murdering little babies?

Let me ask you, how much courage does it take to murder innocent little babies?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 1 hr thetruth 14,445
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 1 hr thetruth 25
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr tha Professor 1,012
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 5 hr Catholic Girl 27
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion 15 hr Dally Mama 3
Young atheists: The political leaders of tomorrow 16 hr Carchar king 4
Why Christians should stick up for atheists 16 hr Carchar king 6

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE