Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186075 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
The key part of the verse is the phrase "above their feet jointed legs." The Hebrew uses two different words to describe the "feet" (regel) and "legs" (kera). What the verse says is that these insects walk on four "feet" (their anterior four short legs), with an additional two "legs" that are used for jumping. Therefore, all six appendages are described.
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/fals...
And when walking rather than jumping, what are these creatures doing with their jumping appendages? Dragging them? No. They walk on six legs, not four:

Do you think that your apologetics are persuasive that a god had a hand in writing an error free book? What impression do you and Riverside Redneck think you make with claims and arguments like those?

What we see is that people of faith that have chosen to have faith in things that are incorrect are forced to to deny reality and argue absurd positions in defense of those choices just as you are doing here, and as Riverside Redneck did when he claimed that the book this came from is perfect.

What we see is the harmful effect that faith has on other thought, in this case about scientific knowledge, and earlier when defending a god's apparent indifference to suffering, on moral competence.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#186076 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never been fishing with my hands or a spear, nor have I ever hunted. I don't watch fishing on television, I never bowl, have never attended a NASCAR event, and have never shot a bottle, can, or stop sign.
I don't smoke or chew tobacco. Nor do I drink beer or eat moon pies.
I've never had a mullet, nor have I owned overalls, cowboy boots, or a billed caps, and I have no belt buckles with writing on them.
I have never owned a Confederate flag, nor do I listen to Rush Limbaugh. My wheels have never been a muscle car or a pickup, and I've never been to Sturgis or Dollywood.
I have never been in a fight, never been stopped for drunk driving, never been arrested, nor spent a night in jail.
You can call me narrow if you like, but to offset those deficiencies, I have seen the auroras in Iceland, the zoos in Singapore and Guadalajara, Club Med on Bora Bora, palaces in Thailand, Vienna and Brunei, the former American Embassy in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), the Charles bridge in Prague, Harrison's Cave in Barbados, giant centipedes in the Philippines, whales breaching off of Kauai's shores, and so many flamingos in a lake in Kenya that it was pink from miles away.
Lovely. You saw them.

Did you live in any of those places? I mean getting any experience and really getting to know those places, how they came about, the people, etc? How much of this sightseeing contributed to your deep understanding of the life experience?

You can see those things in a book, IANS. You can read all day about getting punched in the head, but you don't know when you have been until you experience it.

The world is a gritty place. Don't preach to us until you get some experience getting real dirty.
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#186077 Nov 20, 2013
http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/topics/danone-yogh...

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-danone...

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/wellbeing/galleri...

There are a lot of parochial religitards on Topix.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Itís just not the word I meant to use but my spell checker told me it was spelled correctly and that is good enough for me"
Christine is quite happy and righteous to be told what is right and real BY SOMEONE WHO WROTE A BOOK.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHZHAHA HAHA>
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186078 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You avoided my questions.
You've made the claim that you "never" let bad things happen that you can prevent.
I highly doubt that dubious claim.
You're under the impression that you, a secular humanist, have higher values and morals than that of all man. Even God.
I've yet to see these supposed higher morals in action.
I do have higher morals than your God, I for example have never killed anyone, that puts me a big leg up o your God thing. Nor do I condones slavery, or blood sacrifice, or promote the rape of young virgins. Neither am I responsible for creating a law that requires a rape victim to MARRY her rapist. Of course the thing that really propels my morality to a much higher plain that your God, is that I have never murdered little babies and destroyed thousands of unborn fetuses.

So as you can see my values and morality of much higher than your Gods, I'm actually more moral than most of the characters in your bible.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186079 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
You bible classifies BATS as BIRDS, you bible is MISTAKEN.

Allegations against the Bible are often related to the challenges inherent in the work of translation. Most of these problems have a very simple explanation, if you do a little digging in commentaries or other study aides that deal with the original Hebrew and Greek. For instance, the book of Leviticus describes bats as ďbirds.ĒďAnd these you shall regard as an abomination among the birds; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, the vulture, the buzzard,... and the batĒ(Leviticus 11:13, 19).
If you have a good translation, you can often find clues by simply comparing the questionable word with other passages. In this case, the King James Version (KJV) uses the word fowls instead of birds, and the word fowls appears again in verse 20 to describe insects. Obviously, insects are not birds in the modern sense of the word, so you have to look at the Hebrew. The Hebrew word is owph (Strongís reference number 05775). Although ďbirdĒ is usually a good translation of owph, it can encompass anything that ďhas a wing,Ē a winged creature. It is therefore completely in order for the word to be used of birds, flying insects, and bats. It could presumably also be used of pteranodons (flying reptiles). http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v...
And contradiction can be resolved if we allow improvisation. If one part of your bible says that something went upward at nighttime and another says that it went in went down in the daylight, it is easy to say that it must be talking about the perspective from opposite sides of the globe. In order for that to be valid, the same book must say that that is what was meant.

You are not free to resolve bible contradictions except with reference to things in the bible. If you cannot reconcile apparent contradictions except by concocting just-so stories that don't come from the bible, you are left with a self-contradictory book for which you are improvising excuses.

If the book can't be translated accurately and reliably, it is unwise to make life decisions based on it.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186080 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
Just not letting you redefine yet another word.
Faith is complete trust or confidence in something.
Since you don't know the airline pilot, all you have is his flight record, you're taking his skills on faith - you trust him.
Since love cannot be quantified, all you have to prove your wife's love is her actions, her words and your intuition - you trust her and you have faith in yourself.
Faith = trust.
Trust = faith.
They are absolutely interchangeable.
Atheist just shun at using the word.....
It all depends o the context of the word. Faith is most usually applied to religion. Faith........."A system of religious belief."

FAITH.........."A strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion based on spiritual apprehension.......(wait for it) Rather than PROOF.

So there ya go!!
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#186081 Nov 20, 2013
Duh, you just spelled "yoghurt".

Still worshipping your not omnipotent yet all powerful god myth?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never seen it spelled "yoghurt".
And before your googing, you hadn't either.

Westcliffe, CO

#186082 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I do have higher morals than your God, I for example have never killed anyone, that puts me a big leg up o your God thing. Nor do I condones slavery, or blood sacrifice, or promote the rape of young virgins. Neither am I responsible for creating a law that requires a rape victim to MARRY her rapist. Of course the thing that really propels my morality to a much higher plain that your God, is that I have never murdered little babies and destroyed thousands of unborn fetuses.
So as you can see my values and morality of much higher than your Gods, I'm actually more moral than most of the characters in your bible.
heh heh

You also haven't been in a position to exercise that kind of power.

Of course you are such a good boy.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186083 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I do have higher morals than your God, I for example have never killed anyone, that puts me a big leg up o your God thing. Nor do I condones slavery, or blood sacrifice, or promote the rape of young virgins. Neither am I responsible for creating a law that requires a rape victim to MARRY her rapist. Of course the thing that really propels my morality to a much higher plain that your God, is that I have never murdered little babies and destroyed thousands of unborn fetuses.
But you have really nice sheets, huh?

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#186084 Nov 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Itís just not the word I meant to use but my spell checker told me it was spelled correctly and that is good enough for me"
Christine is quite happy and righteous to be told what is right and real BY SOMEONE WHO WROTE A BOOK.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHZHAHA HAHA>
You mock sir, are you a godbot by some chance?

Honey, learning from books is called education, perhaps that is your problem, that you think learning from books is hilarious. How did you learn your made up davesworkd BS?

#186085 Nov 20, 2013
oops davesworld

Westcliffe, CO

#186086 Nov 20, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You mock sir, are you a godbot by some chance?
Honey, learning from books is called education, perhaps that is your problem, that you think learning from books is hilarious. How did you learn your made up davesworkd BS?
Weak response, lovey.

The world is so full of "babbles". Which one did you read to decide which other ones to follow?

Oh, thanks for the confirmation regarding "education" being indoctrination. I think I have stressed that a few times.

Glad to see you starting to see things my way.

#186087 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a stupid Brit word, spelt.
Like wanker.
Or wan-KAH...
Did your spell checker tell you it was spelled correctly or spelt correctly?
So you donít have spelt in your backwoods of the US, How strange I am sure that in L.A. I have ordered a smoked salmon on spelt and rye sandwich. Surely L.A. is close enough to you for the language to at least make an slight impression.

Ahh yes the US b(w)ankers, responsible for the financial crisis of 2007/8

Nope wanker, wan-KAH looks like an English rendition of Chinese but of course itís not itís just your basic run of the mill childish stupidity

Yes it did, it did not underline an error therefore I had no need to bother further, after all itís only you, not like itís important or anything
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186088 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But you have really nice sheets, huh?
yes I do, and no need for a pickup truck, and I don't care for beans and rice, I prefer fresh seafood, and a fine bottle of scotch or wine. What brand of rotten grape juice do you savages drink down there in the bible belt? I don't think they sell stuff like that up here, we much prefer the finer things in life.

Outside of the rainbow, your God apologizing for being such a prick, has your God ever apologized for murdering all those innocent little babies? Just curious.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186089 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never been fishing with my hands or a spear, nor have I ever hunted. I don't watch fishing on television, I never bowl, have never attended a NASCAR event, and have never shot a bottle, can, or stop sign.
I don't smoke or chew tobacco. Nor do I drink beer or eat moon pies.
I've never had a mullet, nor have I owned overalls, cowboy boots, or a billed caps, and I have no belt buckles with writing on them.
I have never owned a Confederate flag, nor do I listen to Rush Limbaugh. My wheels have never been a muscle car or a pickup, and I've never been to Sturgis or Dollywood.
I have never been in a fight, never been stopped for drunk driving, never been arrested, nor spent a night in jail.
You can call me narrow if you like, but to offset those deficiencies, I have seen the auroras in Iceland, the zoos in Singapore and Guadalajara, Club Med on Bora Bora, palaces in Thailand, Vienna and Brunei, the former American Embassy in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), the Charles bridge in Prague, Harrison's Cave in Barbados, giant centipedes in the Philippines, whales breaching off of Kauai's shores, and so many flamingos in a lake in Kenya that it was pink from miles away.
Impressive list.

But really, dude? You've never owned a truck?!

I don't see how that's possible...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186090 Nov 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Ah bless... I used "may" because a broken LED/LCD clock will be right no times a day. Or a clock with no hands...
You just don't know how to think.
<quoted text>
Oh for the sake of Pete....

The phrase is: "A broken clock is right twice a day".

Are you trying to redefine that one, too?
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#186091 Nov 20, 2013
I'm able to construct sentences that I may not have read before.

You're the pedant that pulled me up on the use of "may", which I subsequently proved to be factual.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh for the sake of Pete....
The phrase is: "A broken clock is right twice a day".
Are you trying to redefine that one, too?

#186092 Nov 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Weak response, lovey.
The world is so full of "babbles". Which one did you read to decide which other ones to follow?
Oh, thanks for the confirmation regarding "education" being indoctrination. I think I have stressed that a few times.
Glad to see you starting to see things my way.
Why weak? It answered all of your accusations, ahh, now I see what you think it weak, because you have nothing else to offer, fair enough

And even mood books, many of which are factually accurate and many are fiction, some are fantasy and some are mythological in nature. I have read many different types of book.

I have never argued that education is not indoctrination. You are imagining things now, is it mushroom season near you?

Westcliffe, CO

#186093 Nov 20, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why weak? It answered all of your accusations, ahh, now I see what you think it weak, because you have nothing else to offer, fair enough
And even mood books, many of which are factually accurate and many are fiction, some are fantasy and some are mythological in nature. I have read many different types of book.
I have never argued that education is not indoctrination. You are imagining things now, is it mushroom season near you?
Ah, now we are starting to dance beautifully together. You are so light on your feet, following my lead.

:-)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186094 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>yes I do, and no need for a pickup truck, and I don't care for beans and rice, I prefer fresh seafood, and a fine bottle of scotch or wine. What brand of rotten grape juice do you savages drink down there in the bible belt? I don't think they sell stuff like that up here, we much prefer the finer things in life.
Outside of the rainbow, your God apologizing for being such a prick, has your God ever apologized for murdering all those innocent little babies? Just curious.
Because you have nice sheets and can't drive a truck, do you feel superior to us little folks?

I don't drink any kind of wine. I find it disgusting. My preferred poison is beer, whiskey and tequila.

How can you not like beans and rice? Those are staple foods.

God doesn't murder, people do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min Dogen 14,406
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 2 hr Thinking 273
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 2 hr Thinking 37
Richard Dawkins needs to get a life 2 hr Thinking 17
God' existence 2 hr Thinking 152
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 2 hr Thinking 291
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr Thinking 2,836
More from around the web