Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 8,926)

Showing posts 178,501 - 178,520 of217,209
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
IANS, you don't have to believe in an Abrahamic God to have an afterlife. But you should realize you can be stepping into something much larger than this little box you have been calling home. It wouldn't hurt to have a dream you could escape into from here. It may come true.
If there is a future after death, I will try to enjoy it as much as I have this life. For now, this one is rich and robust enough to command my attention. I don't need to dream.

==========

You like to take cheap shots at me - lusting for me to be harmed, demeaning my education and philosophy, openly resenting my past and present. I have not earned any of that. You do it because you resent me. I make you feel bad about yourself just by being who I am. I understand that.

But you might care to reexamine that behavior. It demeans you, not me, and it's kind of foolish given the two of us.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
IANS, I experienced the pains of death, on the conscious, subconscious, and emotional level, twenty years ago.
You're being a little hard on yourself now. The golden mean lies somewhere between self-abasement and self-aggrandizement.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
And why is that? I am fairly competent at retrieving information. Those were obtained using Google searches to support my claim. I do that several times a day.
You're probably implying that there is something wrong with me because I also store information, and you are assuming that I have done that in this case. I do that,too, but that is not the kind of thing I would file away about nano because I couldn't have anticipated needing to prove that she was from Sherman, TX or used the phrase "kitteh."
She and I are longstanding adversaries, and I have saved two sets of data on her that have both come in handy many times. One is a list of links to her drunken, slutty posting, which comes in handy whenever she gets judgmental of the habits of others. I won't share those with you now, because I only use them to check her bad behavior.
The other is the list of insults that I have created for her over the years, both because I think that they are pretty funny, and I reuse them from time to time.
You might call that obsessive behavior, as many theists have done before. But that's an unfair and inaccurate characterization born of the disapproval I accrue with my antiecclesiatical posting. People liketo take cheap shots at me.
Nano and I have a rich history on Topix, and I have archived it. It's really a very simple thing to do, takes almost no time, and as I said, is useful from time to time. In fact, you and others might enjoy a few now:
[1] IANS: Sheila is my favorite abortion survivor. The fetus didn't make it, but clearly, the afterbirth did.
[2] wilderide: Really? You [nano] speak for all of America? IANS, is there a pill for this?
IANS: A pill for nano? I'd inject penicillin.
[3] IANS: Slow night? Careful, though. Your muffin is generating flurries of lice, yeast and dandruff that are accumulating into drifts on your shoe tops.
[4] IANS: It always seemed to me to be unfair that some people had multiple personalities, when there are so many people who didn't get even the one.
[5] IANS: You weren't a kid. You were larva.
[6] IANS: There go my erections for a month. Somebody get me some bleach.
[7] IANS: You also start rubbing your hind legs together and buzzing.
[8] IANS: Pull down your skirt. Your prostate is showing.
[9] nanoanomaly: I've done the math
IANS: Here's a sugar cube. You can quit stomping now.
[10] nanoanomaly: I wondered how long it would take you to get your nerve up to try and pacify me.
IANS:[Fires tranquilizer dart into gunt]
[11] nanoanomaly: I'm not clicking on that.
IANS: What are you afraid of? You're more likely to give the link a virus.
bwhahahaha, this is furfuraceous

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
I never said God isn't all powerful.
Yes you did. You said that your god was not omnipotent. Do you not recall making a list of things that your god was unable to do? Perhaps you don't know what omnipotent means.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh no. Are you here to redefine omnipotent also? Lol Omnipotence is having unlimited power; able to do anything.
There are things that God can't do, rendering Him not omnipotent.
This is what I've grown accustomed to with you, and why I say that conversation with you is too much work. We'd have to spend another half dozen posts to get past this, and even then, I suspect that no progress would be made.

Dialectic is a give and take process wherein two reasonable people of good faith attempt to exchange information, clarify their own thoughts, identify their shared premises and where they part ways, reason together and attempt to discover which has the better idea, and in so doing, learn form one another and reach new insights.

To do that requires a certain philosophical temperament, a data base of accumulated knowledge and experience, assorted skills and habits of thought, and the ability to cooperate in this process.

Look at how far from that we are.

==========

@ Buck - Please show me where Jesus said anything like this - something which hundreds of thousands or maybe millions of people could have written, but unlike anything attributed to him. Why do you find somebody whose words were limited to common knowledge (love one another) and the trivial (blessed are the meek) impressive? The secular humanists here are running circles around Jesus' intellectual and moral output. And Jehovah is worse.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that a complete sentence?
Enough of a sentence to make the point that you are talking BS - again

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Bongo wrote:
I wonder if this involves any drunken sluttery?
You know her too well.

Personally, I not only don't mind it, I like it. I just don't like her nasty judgments of others, who she angrily calls perverts and the like.

She should be here soon to give us a taste. She's like Beetlejuice that way - just say her name a few times and she appears.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

davy wrote:
What makes christians so sleazy?
<quoted text>
Babble teaching?
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Three.
I saw bill maher briefly on a news clip. He has a really punchable face.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
1. There are no mistakes, so the premise of your question is flawed.
2. I believe it, and it's the only book to have endured as long as it has and adopted so many followers.
3. I don't disregard any parts of it, so again the premise of your question is flawed.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>**PORTIONS SNIPPED**Your first three comments are demonstrably incorrect, but there is no realistic hope of disabusing you of them.
.. why is RR's first statement incorrect ??..

.. if aware, we learn from our mistakes and progress ..

.. for me, everything happens for a reason and staying conscious is the key to a life well lived ..

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Faith = trust.
Trust = faith.
They are absolutely interchangeable.
Atheist just shun at using the word.....
Thank you for sharing your religious education. Now I will share what I have learned with you:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Since you don't know the airline pilot, all you have is his flight record, you're taking his skills on faith - you trust him.
We have good reason to believe that the airline pilot can fly by virtue of him having been given an airplane by people that have a huge stake in him flying competently.

Do you think that that trust is essentially the same as religious faith? Religious faith is more like trusting somebody to pilot you in an airplane that he found who has no certification and no known piloting experience.

Trust based on experience, reason and visible evidence is nothing like blind religious faith.

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Just not letting you redefine yet another word. Faith is complete trust or confidence in something.
I am not redefining faith. I referred to two of several well known definitions of faith present in most or all dictionaries. What I am doing is not allowing you to blur their distinction and treat them as the same thing.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Since love cannot be quantified, all you have to prove your wife's love is her actions, her words and your intuition - you trust her and you have faith in yourself.
Those things you named comprise half a lifetime's worth of concrete evidence to support my belief and trust in her.

I gave your god the chance to do the same once. It was as if there was no such god. That experience combined with reason is why I am still with the one but not the other. For me to still have faith in your god would require blind trust not only not supported by evidence, but contradicted by it.

You and I may not be able to teach or learn from one another, but perhaps our words will help others reading them to clarify their own thoughts about what faith is, and what religious faith can do to the quality of intellectual and moral thought.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>edneck
I don't do that. I say that faith is an error, not a virtue.
"Science wants to know the mechanism of the universe, religion the meaning. The two cannot be separated. Many scientists feel there is no place in research for discussion of anything that sounds mystical. But it is unreasonable to think we already know enough about the natural world to be confident about the totality of forces".

-- Charles Townes, Nobel physics laureate

"It is the sense of mystery that, in my opinion, drives the true scientist; the same blind force, blindly seeing, deafly hearing, unconsciously remembering, that drives the larva into the butterfly. If the scientist has not experienced, at least a few times in his life, this cold shudder down his spine, this confrontation with an immense invisible face whose breath moves him to tears, he is not a scientist".

-- Erwin Chargaff, biologist

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
If there is a future after death, I will try to enjoy it as much as I have this life. For now, this one is rich and robust enough to command my attention. I don't need to dream.
==========
You like to take cheap shots at me - lusting for me to be harmed, demeaning my education and philosophy, openly resenting my past and present. I have not earned any of that. You do it because you resent me. I make you feel bad about yourself just by being who I am. I understand that.
But you might care to reexamine that behavior. It demeans you, not me, and it's kind of foolish given the two of us.
You never miss the opportunity to misrepresent yourself and others in a way that polishes your self-image, or more rightly, puts a shine on the fake image you wish to portray.

Dave doesn't resent you for any of those things you chirp about.

He resents you because you are exceptionally arrogant, and you convey a self-appropriated authority through pronouncements of what is true, wholly derived from the limits of how you see things.

And if facts do not support those pronouncements, you will fudge the facts, subtly mis-state them, deflect to better facts, and in some cases, simply lie.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is a simple disbelief in religious liars like you.
You got the meaning of "atheism" wrong again, and even more wrong this time.

Atheism is a state relative to gods or deities, not religion.

If you plan to communicate ideas, you might begin by learning the meaning of words you might choose for such a task.

Alternatively, you can continue to look like the slobbering, lap-lipped fool you are, Septic.

I'm personally betting on the latter.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> I saw bill maher briefly on a news clip. He has a really punchable face.
You must be a really good christian, almost as devout as buck

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> I saw bill maher briefly on a news clip. He has a really punchable face.

A Bongo has a really beatable head, so what? lol

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
To a simpleton like you, a yoghurt could be god.
WTF is a yoghurt?

Fennario

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Aura Mytha wrote:
The greater the discrepancy in wealth between the haves and have-nots, the less the have-not can contribute in taxes, and the greater fraction of the total the haves are paying even when their tax rates are lower.

Thus, if your tax rate drops from 30% of a million dollars ($200,000) to 20% of ten million ($2 million), you will be paying more taxes and a greater fraction of the total paid. If I am the only other tax payer, and I'm paying $50,000 in each case because my income has stagnated while yours has gone through the roof, we go from you paying 80% of the total to 97.6%.

And if I complain about, you can just show me that in a chart and hope that it appeases me.

If the super-rich have their way, the trends will continue as they have, the discrepancy between the upper and lower class will become even greater (the middle class will be gone), the wealthy be paying at an even lower tax rate, and that will be even closer to 100% of the total taxes paid, although that total will likely be much less in absolute dollars than the 70% of the total they pay now.

Such are statistics.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
1. There are no mistakes, so the premise of your question is flawed.
2. I believe it, and it's the only book to have endured as long as it has and adopted so many followers.
3. I don't disregard any parts of it, so again the premise of your question is flawed.
4. Because He trusts man. He knows that humans can understand human concepts. Perhaps Hid concepts are for too difficult for us to understand so it needed to be 'dumbed down' for human literacy.
This is faith speaking.
Did you ever read about Morton's Demon? I linked you to it twice. He's the fictional device imagined to guard the entrance to your mind and control what gets into it. Your first three comments are demonstrably incorrect, but there is no realistic hope of disabusing you of them.
Why are they incorrect, because you say so?

If they are demonstrably incorrect then get to demonstrating.

Otherwise I call bullshit on you.

“Today we pray”

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Have you peer reviewed sources to back up that claim?
If you don't, it wasn't science.
Aristotle had no peer reviews for spontaneous generation.

But that was taught as fact for nearly 2,000 years.

Your science is wrought with failure.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 178,501 - 178,520 of217,209
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••