Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186176 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
I cannot prove anything to you. I've just demonstrated that with a few proofs your full rebuttal of which was, "That's your opinion." You cannot make a man understand anything without his cooperation - without his willingness to be convinced by a compelling argument - especially that which he has a stake in not understanding.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
lol You still think you've offered a compelling argument. This all started after you said that 'Jehovah can be disproven' and you already have. Now you say that you can't prove anything. Imagine that.
I guess the joke's on me.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186177 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Thank you for sharing your unsupported opinion.
<quoted text>
How would that be a reason to resent somebody? Arrogance would be a reason to dismiss somebody. His resentment invokes a sense of bitterness, anger, envy, and the like.
<quoted text>
I don't make that claim about yourself, so there is nothing self-appropriated. You see me as authoritative.
You and Dave project about how you see me to beat the band, and you both dislike me based on nothing I've done to you. That's resentment.
<quoted text>
You have nothing better to offer than this - a laundry list of unsupported aspersions grounded in your resentment of me. As I told Dave, I do understand that, but can't help you with it.
And who is more arrogant than you? You crow about your genius and victory in debate, something anybody could do, but only an arrogant person would do.
You say and do exactly as I described.

I call you out on it effectively, and also have time to resent you. I suspect you resent me for that, but I can't be sure.

It's not you so much as what you say and do. I don't know you.

I would do the same for anyone.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#186178 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You had to google it.
You even admitted it.
So we were both ignorant of it.
You said "A quick google gave me this definition"
Oh, and "spelt" isn't a word, ya dumb Brit.
It's two real words, actually.

One is the name of a cereal grain.

The other is the past, or past participle, of "spell".

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#186179 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>

I wouldn't need a bat. What do ya think about that?
I think you better bring a bat.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#186180 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then go find a Harry potter thread and debate it.
Why?

Same thing.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#186181 Nov 20, 2013
...and a couple of your boyfriends.

Billy, maybe?

Fennario

#186182 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You avoided my questions. You've made the claim that you "never" let bad things happen that you can prevent. I highly doubt that dubious claim.
Yes, little Buck.

I defined "bad things" for you. It disagreed with your definition that included letting harm come to trees and people fumbling with remote controls. Your best way of dealing with me is the same one Buck chooses: some semantic quibble rather than a substantive debate.

Let me rephrase it for you: Like many, many other people, I would never stand by and watch somebody be raped and murdered or die of leukemia if I had the power to prevent it, especially at no effort or risk. That makes all of us more moral than the god you worship.

Can we deal with that, or would you like to find some meaningless aspect of it to quibble over for seven posts over three days instead?

Fennario

#186183 Nov 20, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Bwhahahahaha poor septic, the lip smacking is likely due to tardive dyskinesia.
Are you allowed to say tardive in front of Sarah or Todd Palin?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#186184 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good, sir.
"Van Helmont is remembered today largely for his ideas on spontaneous generation..."
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Baptist_va...
How do you think IAnus will wiggle out of this one?

1. Say he was not a real scientist?

2. Say we were only talking about raw meat?

3. Say he was not addressing all spontaneous generation, only this narrow subject?

4. Respond to something else, and pretend he rebutted this?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#186185 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Stupid question, when anyone, including your God thing, ends the life of a human being.

Oh, I see you are anit-abortion.

Fennario

#186186 Nov 20, 2013
Trust based on experience, reason and visible evidence is nothing like blind religious faith.
Buck Crick wrote:
When you stipulate that one faith is blind, the other faith is reasonable, then argue that the latter is more reasonable,... Do you think you actually made a point?
That was your straw man argument. Mine was that trust based on experience, reason and visible evidence is nothing like blind religious faith, which is nothing like what you posted.

[Rolls the boulder up the hill an inch as it slips back two]

These discussions with you are all heat and smoke, no light. That's because you argue in bad faith: You argue to prevail rather than to reach consensus. It's adversarial, not cooperative.

Fennario

#186187 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
In medical school they call him "Professor".
What were you doing there? The medical school hired young ladies for us to practice pelvics exams on, but not any men.

I'm thinking about coming out of retirement to volunteer at the women's shelter to do intake physicals just to keep a hand in. What do you recommend?

Fennario

#186188 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Good, so you have faith in the pilot. Wasn't that easier?
Did you have a point worth making?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#186189 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
Are you allowed to say tardive in front of Sarah or Todd Palin?
That's kinda' funny. Salute.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#186190 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That was your straw man argument. Mine was that trust based on experience, reason and visible evidence is nothing like blind religious faith, which is nothing like what you posted.
[Rolls the boulder up the hill an inch as it slips back two]
These discussions with you are all heat and smoke, no light. That's because you argue in bad faith: You argue to prevail rather than to reach consensus. It's adversarial, not cooperative.
I didn't post anything on either side of the "trust" vs. "faith" thing.

Is Alzheimer's setting in?

I posted on the quality of your argument.

You stipulated that one point of view is blind faith, the other is based on reason, and concluded that the latter was more reasonable.

Neither stipulation is inherently accurate, so you are arguing for your stipulations while simultaneously stipulating them, thinking (or pretending) you are arguing for your conclusion.

Thus, my question.

Fennario

#186191 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never seen it spelled "yoghurt".
And before your googing, you hadn't either.
I have.

In fact, we have a yogurt product called Delighurt in the refrigerator right now.

I think it's only available in Mexico. The brand is Sello Rojo (Red Seal), which is as well known a brand name here as Bimbo.

Last week, my Mexican neighbor that runs a little abarrotes (grocery store) on our block asked me if I had ever heard of Borden dairy products, which he was considering carrying. The vendor assured him that it was a well known brand in the States, and I confirmed that.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#186192 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
What were you doing there? The medical school hired young ladies for us to practice pelvics exams on, but not any men.
I'm thinking about coming out of retirement to volunteer at the women's shelter to do intake physicals just to keep a hand in. What do you recommend?
I have probably hired more young women to practice pelvic exams on than your school.

Some would come without pay.

I think you should do the exams at the women's shelter.

But you'll be like the pizza delivery boy...

You can smell it but can't eat it.

Fennario

#186193 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You still got it wrong.
You responded this time to the post about wisdom, not the one about being "impressive", then proceed to make assertions about impressiveness or lack thereof.
Your memory is not nearly as good as mine, which partially explains why you keep losing these little debates.
Next, you are wrong on the facts about Jesus, so you are understandably wrong on the conclusions.
Jesus started no religion, and had no intention of doing so. Whatever accomplishments you attribute to religions started after his death are off point. Your acumen in this area is obviously inferior to mine, and I won't belabor the point.
IAnus: "I don't see where Jesus did anything distinguished in his lifetime, or left anything of value behind".
See, this is where you become really annoying. You are not satisfied with critical disagreement; you gravitate toward excess.
Your assertion is a lie, as it cannot be chalked up to stupidity. You can read. Books even.
Jesus confounded the wisdom of educated religionists from the time he was an adolescent. At a time of practically no communcation but word of mouth, with sparse population, and an imperial government colluded with the powerful religion of the day, he was able to command a following with only his teaching. His theme was humility, and relieving the hardships of others. The powers in religion and government became so fearful of his influence, they conspired to have him killed.
Two-thousand years later, books are still today being written about him.
No, IAnus, nobody believes you when you claim to be a rational skeptic.
Was there any facts in this other than "Jesus started no religion, and had no intention of doing so" and that I said "I don't see where Jesus did anything distinguished in his lifetime, or left anything of value behind"?

Your bare opinions are nothing but that. I for one don't care what others believe, just what they know and can demonstrate.

Fennario

#186194 Nov 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Lovely. You saw them. Did you live in any of those places? I mean getting any experience and really getting to know those places, how they came about, the people, etc? How much of this sightseeing contributed to your deep understanding of the life experience? You can see those things in a book, IANS. You can read all day about getting punched in the head, but you don't know when you have been until you experience it. The world is a gritty place. Don't preach to us until you get some experience getting real dirty.
Did you have a point with this, or did you just need to degrade my experience and try to make yourself seem worldly and wise int he process?

You are a bitter, negative, and envious man. You would do well for yourself to try to conceal it better.

Fennario

#186195 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
I do have higher morals than your God, I for example have never killed anyone
With all due respect, Jehovah sets a low bar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 48 min Baffled 1,176
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 1 hr 15th Dalai Lama 1,416
How To Get To Heaven When You Die (Jan '17) 5 hr Ben Avraham 100
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 19 hr Regolith Based Li... 32,461
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Mon Dogen 78,757
what science will NEVER be able to prove Aug 11 Eagle 12 - 5
News What Ever Happened to the New Atheists?by Ellio... Aug 7 nanoanomaly 1
More from around the web