Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255511 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#186047 Nov 20, 2013
Even a broken clock may be correct twice a day.

So you believe Harry Potter is real because London is a real place?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"total"?
So Egypt isn't a real place?
Dumb atheist.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#186048 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>

Always slept on fine Egyptian cotton sheets with a high thread count. Even have them on the boat.
Yeah. And your farts smell like bubblegum.

I know the type.

If I were to jump bad on you, you would use your wife or mother as a human shield.

I know your type.

Cheerio, matey.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#186049 Nov 20, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
A quick google gave me this definition
“Yogurt or yoghurt or yoghourt is a fermented milk product produced by bacterial fermentation of milk.
You could have done the same an so not looked so foolish
I've never seen it spelled "yoghurt".

And before your googing, you hadn't either.

Location hidden

#186050 Nov 20, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Who ever coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness." was full of shit!!
Strange but I don't believe I have ever had a glass of "rotten grape juice" Must be a Southern thing!!!! Sounds sickening, beans and rice washed down with a glass of rotten grape juice, barf!!!!
I'm happy money makes you happy.

As a philosophy, I don't recommend people follow it.

In 48 hours, I went from having a pro contract with the Cincinati Bengals to driving a forklift for $6 an hour.

All structure is unstable.

Sorry for distracting you from having your ass buffed.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186051 Nov 20, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Fallacy of equivocation.
Remember?
A warm beer is better than a cold beer.

After all, nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186052 Nov 20, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet another beautiful spirit compliments of Jesus, Inc.
You're a person who looks down on strangers based on one of the few advantage he has: his color, an accident of birth. That's an ugly quality that reflects as poorly of you as Dave Nelson's sour grapes posting does of him.
Commenting on the Mexicans that go splash around in the river bottom is not looking down on them.

It's talking shit.

Location hidden

#186053 Nov 20, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
So we do get to keep our brains after we die?
Yeah. Sorry.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186054 Nov 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Your religion has had no scientific peer reviews - so it's equally sh!t.
<quoted text>
You finally admit that science is shit.

Good boy.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186055 Nov 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Even a broken clock may be correct twice a day.
So you believe Harry Potter is real because London is a real place?
No. A broken clock WILL be right twice a day. Not "may" be.

What is it with you athitards and your Hairy Pooter? Y'all are always bringing it up.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#186056 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never seen it spelled "yoghurt".
And before your googing, you hadn't either.
Why do you assume I am as ignorant as you? Yes I had you fool, I buy 10 pots from the supermarket shelf each week. That how it is spelt in ENGLISH

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#186057 Nov 20, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confusing two different things.
You could complain about your income, but you would be off-base to complain about your portion of taxes, or to complain that the system of taxation favors the rich.
A second flaw in your analysis is that the non-rich outnumber the rich by a high multiple. The tax load is carried by a small sub-section of people.
That is why "raise taxes on the rich" is an absurd remedy for deficits.
.. historically, there's been two classes of people: the rich and the poor. America and other republics like Australia are an anomaly ..

.. many of the super rich are making their fortunes off the labors off the poor in 3rd-world countries and America has lost a large percentage of its manufacturing base ..

.. lower taxes in the Kennedy and Eisenhower decades worked but things change. Bush & Obama continue the same economic stimulus policies. They're no longer working ..

.. I'm not much of a political animal but the horizon seems clear to me - a world economy returning to the standard model of rich and poor ..

.. your thoughts ??..

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186058 Nov 20, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you assume I am as ignorant as you? Yes I had you fool, I buy 10 pots from the supermarket shelf each week. That how it is spelt in ENGLISH
You had to google it.

You even admitted it.

So we were both ignorant of it.

You said "A quick google gave me this definition"

Oh, and "spelt" isn't a word, ya dumb Brit.

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#186059 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
What makes your world so bitter and pessimistic? Do you ever wonder? Psychology determines philosophy, which in turn feeds back to modify or reinforce the psychology. You may have abandoned a few of the precepts of Christian theology and changed gods, but you still bear the scars of your Christian education, which principle message includes a sense of detachment from our common world, a general disrespect for humanity, and a redirection of your focus from the here and now to pie in the sky there and then. You're living your life waiting at a bus stop to heaven while cursing at the happiest pedestrians passing by.
Why don't you try constructive comments to the unbelievers? You might feel better about yourself, and we probably will feel better about you as well.
IANS, I am waiting at the side of the road waiting for something to go anywhere. You don't pay much attention to what people say because you live in your own little fantasy world.

Oh, I am Mr. Happy. I'm as happy as a pig in shit if I'm out of cigarettes and I find a butt still burning on the side of the road. Would hate to find one with no lighter.

My humility didn't come from my religious training as a child. It came from marching within a group of thousands under the direction of some redneck with no education. With a PhD candidate marching right next to me. Plus my limited math skills understands the relative value of one among billions, and billions, and billions. A lot of people have lived and died.

Your diagnosis is incorrect, Doctor.

Your dreams of your worth and achievements will go "Poof!", Doctor. Then they will forget who and what you were and just fight over any money you left. That will be your true "worth" in this world.

This is a tiny place in a big universe. You have shot your wad puffing yourself up in it.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#186065 Nov 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You had to google it.
You even admitted it.
So we were both ignorant of it.
You said "A quick google gave me this definition"
Oh, and "spelt" isn't a word, ya dumb Brit.
Why are you so stupid, is it as a result of being hit too often across the head with a babble or is it just natural?

I googled it so that I could provide you with an actual definition including spellings that I do not use.

Yes “spelt” is a word you dumb yank, look it up before you accuse me of googling it because you are so stupid.

It’s just not the word I meant to use but my spell checker told me it was spelled correctly and that is good enough for me

While you are at it I guess you could also google the English spelling of yoghurt, you never know you may actually educate yourself a little

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#186066 Nov 20, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you so stupid, is it as a result of being hit too often across the head with a babble or is it just natural?
I googled it so that I could provide you with an actual definition including spellings that I do not use.
Yes “spelt” is a word you dumb yank, look it up before you accuse me of googling it because you are so stupid.
It’s just not the word I meant to use but my spell checker told me it was spelled correctly and that is good enough for me
While you are at it I guess you could also google the English spelling of yoghurt, you never know you may actually educate yourself a little
"It’s just not the word I meant to use but my spell checker told me it was spelled correctly and that is good enough for me"

Christine is quite happy and righteous to be told what is right and real BY SOMEONE WHO WROTE A BOOK.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHZHAHA HAHA>

Location hidden

#186068 Nov 20, 2013
<quoted text>
That would be pointless. You are wasting time arguing about what you or I find unimpressive or heroic. I asked you why you considered Jesus wise.
<quoted text>
I saw what you consider impressive:
"He escaped stoning by educated Jews for blasphemy by pulling out quotations from their own Old Testament writings and turning them against their ideas. He referred to the Religious Right as a dog sleeping in the barn who will not eat, and will not let the cattle eat either. When accosted for picking grain to eat on the sabbath, he explained that man was not made for such rules, but the rules made for man. He said you would not impress him if you perform miracles or cast out demons. But you would impress him if you offer a cup of water to a thirsty stranger."
<quoted text>
Sorry, but it's simply not good enough to declare Jesus special because a religion formed around him. What was meaningful was came after his death. I don't see where Jesus did anything distinguished in his lifetime, or left anything of value behind.
It was others that grew the religion, and any of tens or hundreds of thousands of other people in his day could have served in that role just as well. What's so special about an itinerant preacher that told parables and then was executed? Nothing at all.
<quoted text>
Disagree. Neither Jesus' service record nor his insights are hard to top.
You still got it wrong.

You responded this time to the post about wisdom, not the one about being "impressive", then proceed to make assertions about impressiveness or lack thereof.

Your memory is not nearly as good as mine, which partially explains why you keep losing these little debates.

Next, you are wrong on the facts about Jesus, so you are understandably wrong on the conclusions.

Jesus started no religion, and had no intention of doing so. Whatever accomplishments you attribute to religions started after his death are off point. Your acumen in this area is obviously inferior to mine, and I won't belabor the point.

IAnus: "I don't see where Jesus did anything distinguished in his lifetime, or left anything of value behind".

See, this is where you become really annoying. You are not satisfied with critical disagreement; you gravitate toward excess.

Your assertion is a lie, as it cannot be chalked up to stupidity. You can read. Books even.

Jesus confounded the wisdom of educated religionists from the time he was an adolescent. At a time of practically no communcation but word of mouth, with sparse population, and an imperial government colluded with the powerful religion of the day, he was able to command a following with only his teaching. His theme was humility, and relieving the hardships of others. The powers in religion and government became so fearful of his influence, they conspired to have him killed.

Two-thousand years later, books are still today being written about him.

No, IAnus, nobody believes you when you claim to be a rational skeptic.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186069 Nov 20, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a stupid Brit word, spelt.

Like wanker.

Or wan-KAH...

Did your spell checker tell you it was spelled correctly or spelt correctly?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#186070 Nov 20, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that the best that proofless creationist liars can do?
I don't know.

Let's find one so we can ask him.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#186071 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess wearing a pair of cowboy boots is out of the question. You New Englanders……….. You need to get out and live a little Doctor. And you were in Vegas? Surely you own a pair of cowboy boots.
I've never been fishing with my hands or a spear, nor have I ever hunted. I don't watch fishing on television, I never bowl, have never attended a NASCAR event, and have never shot a bottle, can, or stop sign.

I don't smoke or chew tobacco. Nor do I drink beer or eat moon pies.

I've never had a mullet, nor have I owned overalls, cowboy boots, or a billed caps, and I have no belt buckles with writing on them.

I have never owned a Confederate flag, nor do I listen to Rush Limbaugh. My wheels have never been a muscle car or a pickup, and I've never been to Sturgis or Dollywood.

I have never been in a fight, never been stopped for drunk driving, never been arrested, nor spent a night in jail.

You can call me narrow if you like, but to offset those deficiencies, I have seen the auroras in Iceland, the zoos in Singapore and Guadalajara, Club Med on Bora Bora, palaces in Thailand, Vienna and Brunei, the former American Embassy in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), the Charles bridge in Prague, Harrison's Cave in Barbados, giant centipedes in the Philippines, whales breaching off of Kauai's shores, and so many flamingos in a lake in Kenya that it was pink from miles away.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#186072 Nov 20, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
All flying insects that walk on FOUR legs are detestable to you"
What is common among all the creatures mentioned is that they have short legs and often travel together in groups. In fact, the Bible defines sherets as "crawling on its belly" and "whatever walks on all fours."33 What is common in this group of crustaceans, insects, rodents, and reptiles is that they all crawl on "all four" legs. Some from this group actually have more than four legs. However, the Hebrew idiom "on all fours" refers to any creature that crawls low to the ground on at least four legs. Were the writers of the Bible unaware that insects have six legs? This statement would seem rather silly, but atheists actually make this claim. However, one of the verses clearly indicates that these "four-legged" insects have six legs:
'Yet these you may eat among all the winged insects [sherets] which walk on all fours: those which have above their feet jointed legs with which to jump on the earth.(Leviticus 11:21)
The key part of the verse is the phrase "above their feet jointed legs." The Hebrew uses two different words to describe the "feet" (regel) and "legs" (kera). What the verse says is that these insects walk on four "feet" (their anterior four short legs), with an additional two "legs" that are used for jumping. Therefore, all six appendages are described.
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/fals...
Your bible is WRONG once again, and so is this bogus web site. The creatures mentioned were specifically *insects* Insect generally do not "travel" in groups, nor do they have "short" legs. Most insect have legs that are almost as long as their bodies. ALL of the Opilliones have extremely long legs, the havestman, and the daddylong legs are examples of an opillion. Grasshoppers, ants, crickets, praying mantis, all have very long legs, twist as you may, your bible is WRONG once again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min Regolith Based Li... 34,936
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 53 min superwilly 3,696
News Your atheism isn&#x27;t going to keep your... (Apr '14) 2 hr ATHEOI 197
News Why I quit atheism 2 hr ATHEOI 280
Majority of Scots now have no religion 3 hr Eagle 12 158
Religion is the cause of war and most suffering... 3 hr Reason Personified 148
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 3 hr scientia potentia... 14,928
More from around the web