Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185774 Nov 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Do you see how I do this, Buck? Rather that just posting unsupported opinions and crowing about my victory as you do, I support them with evidence, in this case, the opinions of two prominent design proponents that outright contradict you.
No, you just thought you did.

I agree with Johnson and company that there is not a theory sufficiently developed to displace Darwinian theory.

And I certainly have never made such a claim.

I doubt there ever will be such a theory, because much of Darwinian theory is agreed to by Intelligent Design scientists and theorists.

Michael Behe accepts ape/human common descent, for instance.

To answer your question - Yes, I see how you do this.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185775 Nov 19, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
One day, not too far off? I think machines will become intelligent in such a way, only an expert could tell they are machines, and not organic life.
Are you familiar with the Turing test?

"The Turing test is a test of a machine's ability to exhibit intelligent behavior equivalent to, or indistinguishable from, that of a human. In the original illustrative example, a human judge engages in natural language conversations with a human and a machine designed to generate performance indistinguishable from that of a human being. All participants are separated from one another. If the judge cannot reliably tell the machine from the human, the machine is said to have passed the test."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test
Bongo

Central Islip, NY

#185776 Nov 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Polymath was last seen with a really thin knife trying to prove he could slice a pizza into infinite slices and put it back in the same box.
I warned him.
I told him if he had infinite slices of pizza of any size, it would fill the known universe, and he would have slices left over.
But he didn't believe me.
Your football avatar reminds me of Al Bundy. You think about the old days of football like him. Only difference is youre violent and probably get fed better. I don't think he is as damaged from traumatic early life events as you are. He had some good insults for Marcy. You have some good ones for topix atheists.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185778 Nov 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Faith, the excuse religious people give to one another when absolutely no evidence is available. Faith is NOT a pathway to truth, faith is gullibility. Whats truly funny is you people think using that word is somehow justification for your belief when talking to non-belivers
Do you have faith that if you act all bad ass on an internet site that'll make you seem more manly?

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#185779 Nov 19, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> RR, Ians is Jewish. Another proof of God. God said he would blind them and deafen them or something along those lines. His ardent claims and assertions are evidence of this.
.. are you familiar with George Bush Jr.'s recent fundraising appearance at the Messianic Jewish Bible Institute? Yep,$100 @ plate. Most of the posts regarding this event have been removed by Google. Fascinating ..

.. the goal of this group is to, ".. to convert Jews to Christianity because they believe this will hasten the anticipated Second Coming of Jesus Christ."

http://mondoweiss.net/2013/11/george-christia...

.. what's this all about ??..

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185780 Nov 19, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Say a family of four makes $30,000. At 10% that would be $3000. With Obamacare say it costs a family of 4 $26,000 a year to make ends meet.$1000 to spend lavishly. Take a single man that makes $300,0000 per year. That is $30,000 per year tax. That leaves $270,000 per year to make his ends meet. The family of four is the one that is creating his wealth. They are the ones that will be dying in wars to protect his wealth. Very fair system you have there. Who do you work for to be pushing such a thing?
You are bemoaning regressive taxation (flat taxes) and the exploitation of the worker. Are you closet progressive or Marxist?
Bongo

Central Islip, NY

#185781 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Yikes!
How sure are you that virtuanna is Nano?
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#185782 Nov 19, 2013
Buck is just a fantasist who likes sweaty men.
Buck is not sharp enough to understand infinity.
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Your football avatar reminds me of Al Bundy. You think about the old days of football like him. Only difference is youre violent and probably get fed better. I don't think he is as damaged from traumatic early life events as you are. He had some good insults for Marcy. You have some good ones for topix atheists.

Location hidden

#185783 Nov 19, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Most christians think god is omnipotent.
Most atheists think God isn't real.

What's your point?

Location hidden

#185784 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
By this reckoning, Santa Claus exists. "[W]hat is said to be about [his] features ... is inaccurate, but the entity does exist." The features that need to change in this case is the part about him living at the North Pole with elves making toys and distributing them to the children of the world through their chimneys using a sleigh piloted by flying reindeer.
Likewise with Jehovah. He exists as long as we change his features from those given in the Christian bible. I will grant that. The necessary changes include that he is not supernatural, did not create the universe or the life in it, did not author any "word," did not flood the earth, does not answers prayer, and a few other things - just like my dog.
No, those are not the features to which you referred in your alleged "proof".

You changed your story.

Your contention is, or, more accurately, "was", since you have spun off of that claim, was that the failure of the claim of perfection proves the Christian god does not exist.

You even looked up reference from formal logic sources to support that specific claim.

Then I proved your claim is bull shit.

I did so using logic properly, not as you attempted to use it.

You are batting O so far.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#185785 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Do you think it's a good idea to take gratuitous pot shots at what you perceive are the personal failings of others? You do it a lot, and seem pretty vulnerable to retaliation.
You are amusing, IANS.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#185786 Nov 19, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Happy, how’s it going?
I have had this same discussion with E12 on two occasions previously and both times I have provided links to various secular charities including the Red Cross (both American and British), United Nations Childrens Fund. Oxfam, Médecins Sans Frontières etc.
I know for a fact that those charities are working in Philippines.
I have also shown him links to major philanthropists who for the most part are atheist Warren Buffet, Mark Zuckerberg, Paul Allen and Segrey Brin come to mind here. Can’t say I know of any christian philanthropists but I’m sure there must be some
Atheist do not really bother advertising their charity because they have no need for extra god points therefore they have no need to shout there intentions on topix, like most people they just get on with what needs to be done. Having said that, as you say, people will be people and I would not mind betting that I have contributed more to the Philippines aid drive than he earns (or scrounges) in a month. In fact given that he protest so much I would not mind betting that he has not contributed a cent to any charity for Philippines aide purposes
However this will of course never stop his ignorant lying abuses, he will wait until the next disaster and start of on the same BS again… and again…. and ….
.. hi ya Chris ..

.. because non-believers do not financially support churches, in many instances a portion of their disposal income goes to worthy charities ..

.. here's something to consider: DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS ..

.. although the beliefs of these physicians are never made public, I know for a fact that a large percentage are atheist. They freely donate their time to help those in need. That's as good as donating money to charities ..

.. to think atheists do not help the less fortunate is a misnomer ..
Thinking

Windsor, UK

#185787 Nov 19, 2013
You've made a claim that your god is not all powerful. I assumed you've arrived at that to get past the old issue of why god lets bad things happen to babies, innocents, etc.

I'm asking you if you think your god is able to be destroyed. I can't phrase the question much more simply for you.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Most atheists think God isn't real.
What's your point?

Location hidden

#185788 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
I know what impresses you. It's not what impresses me.
Yes, you told us.

Mary Tyler Moore and you impress you.

A man bringing a compassionate, humble, self-fulfilling, benevolent philosophy in service to his fellow man, and by doing so, knowingly placing himself at risk of death does not impress you.

We got that.

Location hidden

#185789 Nov 19, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You've made a claim that your god is not all powerful. I assumed you've arrived at that to get past the old issue of why god lets bad things happen to babies, innocents, etc.
I'm asking you if you think your god is able to be destroyed. I can't phrase the question much more simply for you.
I never said God isn't all powerful.

You really have a hard time reading, don't you?

Location hidden

#185790 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit aside though, you make a lot of money and pay very little (if anything) in taxes.
The guy who earns a salary can't do that.
I go to dinners at Nobu and Providence, and the guy paying laughs and laughs, because the taxpayers fund 50% of the dinner. Lobster, beef Wellington, old Bordeaux wines. You're paying for it.
No.

The guy paying for it is paying for it.

It's his money.

Not mine; not yours', not the government's.

He has a proprietary claim on money he works for and earns.

You and I have none.

blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#185791 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't put forth a compelling argument. I know that you think you have, but you haven't. All you've done is tell everyone what your opinion is.
Let's put this in a more human perspective; Have you ever let your child stumble and fall on his ass while learning to walk? Have you ever sat back and watched your wife maybe fumble with the remote control? Have you ever seen a stranded motorist and done nothing to help?
I'm sure you have. That's human nature, we all have.
But that in no way means you're a bad person or you "let" bad things happen, even though you have the power to prevent, or help, these things.
God has the power to help us all in what we'd call a perfect life. But what good would that teach us? What lessons would we learn?
Lame ass analogy, letting your child stubble and fall while learning to walk is a far cry from sitting and watching thousands of innocent little children dying horrible deaths from starvation.

Yes, let DO put this in human perspective. You come across a devastated area and little children who have survived have no food or water. They are dying of thirst and are starving to death. You are driving a truck loaded with gallons of water and food. What do YOU do? What lesson will you be giving by not stopping? If you just keep driving KNOWING these children will die, then by your claim, you are NOT a bad person.

BTW I would not expect your God to help anyone, especially children. His history of murdering little children speaks for itself.

Location hidden

#185792 Nov 19, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you constantly make posts that are so easily demonstrated to be false ?
The only way not to have to pay taxes is not to have an income or be extremely wealthy.
Idiot.

For a family with two dependents, the threshold is $27,100; it increases by $3,800 for each additional dependent.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/about_6509676_income-file...
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#185793 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have faith that if you act all bad ass on an internet site that'll make you seem more manly?
I didn't think I was acting "all bad ass" I was simply defining the word faith as it applies to you and your religious beliefs. Faith is NOT a pathway to truth, faith IS gullibility, these are simply facts, sorry if these facts upset you.

Location hidden

#185794 Nov 19, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Lame ass analogy, letting your child stubble and fall while learning to walk is a far cry from sitting and watching thousands of innocent little children dying horrible deaths from starvation.
Why?

God doesn't see time like we do. We're only here about 75 years, that's a blink of an eye to God.

He's given us the tools to do what we need to do and to do what we should do.

All we have to do is use those tools.

Some of us do, some of us don't.
Yes, let DO put this in human perspective. You come across a devastated area and little children who have survived have no food or water. They are dying of thirst and are starving to death. You are driving a truck loaded with gallons of water and food. What do YOU do? What lesson will you be giving by not stopping? If you just keep driving KNOWING these children will die, then by your claim, you are NOT a bad person.
You're comparing a person to God.

Tsk, tsk, tsk mon capitan...
BTW I would not expect your God to help anyone, especially children. His history of murdering little children speaks for itself.
Why?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 1 hr Patrick 758
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 1 hr TheHeadlines 89
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr TheHeadlines 22,214
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 2 hr TheHeadlines 75
Stump a theist with 2 questions 2 hr TheHeadlines 58
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 2 hr TheHeadlines 4,093
Bill Maher's "dirty secret": He's deeply religi... 7 hr Thinking 5
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE