Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185738 Nov 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You don't see three different statements each ending with a question mark there? Let me help you.
Question 1: Is Jehovah perfect?
Answer: None provided
Question 2: Did he write the bible?
Answer: None provided
Question 3: Is he omniscienct, omnipotent, and perfectly loving?
Answer: Yes, I believe He's omniscient. No, I don't believe He's omnipotent. Yes, He's perfectly loving.
It's this kind of thing that makes effective discussion with you impossible, and why I didn't bother providing you those disproofs. You're not adequately prepared for it. You don't have the prerequisite skills necessary for this kind of activity.
Look at how much effort I have had to expend here to get you to see the questions, let alone answer them. I'm simply not willing to work this hard to make this little progress.
Oh, my bad.

You ramble so much and I'm usually pressed for time, I have to be quick on my responses.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, God is perfect.
2. No. The Bible is inspired by God but ultimately written by men.
3. Yes, no, yes.

Why do you keep calling God "Jehovah"? I find it strange that you'd interject one Hebrew word in the middle of all the English words.

God - English.
Jehovah - Hebrew.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185741 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't think I screwed up, but it doesn't matter to the discussion. My claim is that a god cannot be both perfect and imperfect in the same way at the same time. Perfect means not making any mistakes.
From Wiki: "Reductio ad absurdum (Latin: "reduction to absurdity")... is a common form of argument which seeks to demonstrate that ... a statement is false by showing that a false, untenable, or absurd result follows from its acceptance."
The claim is made that a perfect god exists that communicated with us through what is called his Word - the Christian bible, a book filled with errors of scientific fact, failed prophecies, unkept promises, self-contradictions, and descriptions of failed projects undertaken by that god including failed (fallen) angels and men.
Well like you said, that's your claim.

I see no reason to refute your opinion.

One of the things I've learned here is that once a person has made up their mind on something (whether its fact or not), there's no changing their mind.
Siro

Sydney, Australia

#185742 Nov 19, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
one question only: "where's the proof of the god your cult sent you here to lie to us about?"
Now run away / insult me / redefine atheism / quote hitler / scream and whine / talk to thin air / troll some more in vain
Do whatever you need to do to get your cognitive dissonance out of your system.
I'll just sit here and keep asking you liars the same question over and over again.
You didn't count on dealing with an autistic atheist did you f*ckers?
I bet you base all your thinking around Barghossians book 'A manual for creating atheists'
I think if he knew a halfwit like you would read it he would have called it 'A manual for churning out toilet stains'
Well at least now youre admitting you aint the full dollar.
Way to go Bad Boy Bubby!
Siro

Sydney, Australia

#185743 Nov 19, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
When you are long gone, I will still be here, having created an army of automatic robots to take my place, asking you liars over and over again, the same questions again and again and again, until you admit your large scale societal fraud.
You are the army of robots Bad Boy Bubby

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185744 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It is not a guess that what theists call evil - things such as violence, betrayal, and dishonesty - exists.
And it is obvious by virtue of that fact that no all-powerful, all-knowing and perfectly loving god is protecting us from such things, not a guess. the ancient Greek philosopher Epicurus also understood this:
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?"
<quoted text>
That's not a rebuttal to the claim that no all-powerful, all-knowing and perfectly loving god exists. The god you describe is different. Many gods of many descriptions are logically possible, but not the god said to have written the Christian bible, where it is said to be all-powerful, all-knowing and perfectly loving. The existence of "evil" makes that impossible.
You said, "If it's proof, I can't ignore it. Try me. Show your proof that God doesn't exist" to which I responded "Of course you could ignore a proof" and predicted that "these proofs are bouncing off your antiprocess shields like bullets off of Superman."
I was and remain convinced that you cannot or will not allow yourself to be convinced by a compelling argument that challenges your cherished faith based assumptions.
You haven't put forth a compelling argument. I know that you think you have, but you haven't. All you've done is tell everyone what your opinion is.

Let's put this in a more human perspective; Have you ever let your child stumble and fall on his ass while learning to walk? Have you ever sat back and watched your wife maybe fumble with the remote control? Have you ever seen a stranded motorist and done nothing to help?

I'm sure you have. That's human nature, we all have.

But that in no way means you're a bad person or you "let" bad things happen, even though you have the power to prevent, or help, these things.

God has the power to help us all in what we'd call a perfect life. But what good would that teach us? What lessons would we learn?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185745 Nov 19, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
When you are long gone, I will still be here, having created an army of automatic robots to take my place, asking you liars over and over again, the same questions again and again and again, until you admit your large scale societal fraud.
I've told you 100 times that I can't prove God to you.

What exactly am I lying about?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185746 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>

How is that relevant? What does salvation as Jesus conceived it have to do with Jesus being wise? I consider that nonsense...
<quoted text>
Nice try.

My response to the question of "wisdom" was a prior post.

The post to which you are responding here was about your idea of Jesus being "unimpressive".

So your entire post, most of which I deleted, is blather.

Yet I still maintain Jesus' record is "impressive", and yours is not comparably impressive.

Your post, responding to claims not made, is a case in point.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#185747 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't put forth a compelling argument. I know that you think you have, but you haven't. All you've done is tell everyone what your opinion is.
Let's put this in a more human perspective; Have you ever let your child stumble and fall on his ass while learning to walk? Have you ever sat back and watched your wife maybe fumble with the remote control? Have you ever seen a stranded motorist and done nothing to help?
I'm sure you have. That's human nature, we all have.
But that in no way means you're a bad person or you "let" bad things happen, even though you have the power to prevent, or help, these things.
God has the power to help us all in what we'd call a perfect life. But what good would that teach us? What lessons would we learn?
Your gentle god stands by while tornadoes destroy people's lives.

Don't forget typhoons.

Hardly equivalent to sitting by while the wife fumbles with the remote.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185748 Nov 19, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
one question only: "where's the proof of the god your cult sent you here to lie to us about?"
Only God can prove God.

The rest is taken on faith.
Bongo

Bay Shore, NY

#185749 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit aside though, you make a lot of money and pay very little (if anything) in taxes.
The guy who earns a salary can't do that.
I go to dinners at Nobu and Providence, and the guy paying laughs and laughs, because the taxpayers fund 50% of the dinner. Lobster, beef Wellington, old Bordeaux wines. You're paying for it.
Ask Buck to come to Cali again and continue your seduction. After some wining and dining you may get the paradiso. Subsequent to the paradiso you will likely have some expenses to write off.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185750 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Which quote? And where are my words that you claim mean what you say they do? Your bare unsupported claim has already been refuted with evidence at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... Where's your rebuttal to all of that evidence contradicting your bare claim? Was this it?

You said you agreed with Dawkins' words.

In those words, he said he does not call himself an atheist and gave his reasoning.

Either your claim that you agree is bull shit, or all your claims calling yourself an atheist are bull shit.

Choose a bull shit answer and go with it.
Bongo

Bay Shore, NY

#185751 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, my bad.
You ramble so much and I'm usually pressed for time, I have to be quick on my responses.
To answer your questions:
1. Yes, God is perfect.
2. No. The Bible is inspired by God but ultimately written by men.
3. Yes, no, yes.
Why do you keep calling God "Jehovah"? I find it strange that you'd interject one Hebrew word in the middle of all the English words.
God - English.
Jehovah - Hebrew.
RR, Ians is Jewish. Another proof of God. God said he would blind them and deafen them or something along those lines. His ardent claims and assertions are evidence of this.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#185752 Nov 19, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. would you please reconsider your position ??..
.. KIVA is a non-profit organization that helps entrepreneurs in 3rd world countries through micro-financing. For personal reasons, I no longer support this organization but check this out ..
http://www.kiva.org/teams
.. the #1 lending team is atheists, agnostics and skeptics. Christians hold the #2 spot but are approximately $4,000,000.00 behind ..
.. Eagle, people will be people regardless of belief or non-belief. Some are charitable, some are not. Religion has nothing to do with it ..
.. your line of reasoning is, well, unreasonable ..
Hi Happy, how’s it going?

I have had this same discussion with E12 on two occasions previously and both times I have provided links to various secular charities including the Red Cross (both American and British), United Nations Childrens Fund. Oxfam, Médecins Sans Frontières etc.

I know for a fact that those charities are working in Philippines.

I have also shown him links to major philanthropists who for the most part are atheist Warren Buffet, Mark Zuckerberg, Paul Allen and Segrey Brin come to mind here. Can’t say I know of any christian philanthropists but I’m sure there must be some

Atheist do not really bother advertising their charity because they have no need for extra god points therefore they have no need to shout there intentions on topix, like most people they just get on with what needs to be done. Having said that, as you say, people will be people and I would not mind betting that I have contributed more to the Philippines aid drive than he earns (or scrounges) in a month. In fact given that he protest so much I would not mind betting that he has not contributed a cent to any charity for Philippines aide purposes

However this will of course never stop his ignorant lying abuses, he will wait until the next disaster and start of on the same BS again… and again…. and ….

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#185753 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't think I screwed up, but it doesn't matter to the discussion. My claim is that a god cannot be both perfect and imperfect in the same way at the same time. Perfect means not making any mistakes.
From Wiki: "Reductio ad absurdum (Latin: "reduction to absurdity")... is a common form of argument which seeks to demonstrate that ... a statement is false by showing that a false, untenable, or absurd result follows from its acceptance."
The claim is made that a perfect god exists that communicated with us through what is called his Word - the Christian bible, a book filled with errors of scientific fact, failed prophecies, unkept promises, self-contradictions, and descriptions of failed projects undertaken by that god including failed (fallen) angels and men.
Have you ever seen that sign that says the Boss may not always be right, but he is still the Boss?

There is a wisdom in that that escapes you.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185754 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your gentle god stands by while tornadoes destroy people's lives.
Don't forget typhoons.
Hardly equivalent to sitting by while the wife fumbles with the remote.
I did say let's put this in a human perspective.

Did ya miss that part?

Why should God stop tornadoes or typhoons? He's given people the sense to live somewhere safer. They choose not to.

Why is that God's fault.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#185755 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OCB?!
Lol, sure Chris.
Her word is like stone, huh?
I have never known OCB to lie and I have know you to lie

So who should I trust the person who does not lie and who confirms my recollection of events

Or you who does lie?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185756 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
nano will surely like this (others should also take heed)
http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/mcac_rhian_...
Yikes!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185757 Nov 19, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> RR, Ians is Jewish. Another proof of God. God said he would blind them and deafen them or something along those lines. His ardent claims and assertions are evidence of this.
Jewish the race or Jewish the religion?

Lol

Or Jewish the money-wise?

HA HA!!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#185758 Nov 19, 2013
http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/11/18/400-po...

Buck, this kid would have ran right over you.
Bongo

Central Islip, NY

#185759 Nov 19, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you constantly make posts that are so easily demonstrated to be false ?
The only way not to have to pay taxes is not to have an income or be extremely wealthy.
What is the starting point of extreme wealth, purfesir? Im mostly retired now but a few years ago 100% depreciation of equipment was allowed. Paid no tax on 7 figures, go figure. And there wont be any on an eventual sale, which would be taxable, due to doing like kind exchanges. The streets are paved with gold here in America. When you have a highly appreciated stock , don't sell, just borrow against it at low low intrest, ta da, no tax . I love America.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 min Richardfs 1,423
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 30 min Morse 14,448
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 hr tha Professor 1,030
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 6 hr Gillette 5,946
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism Tue thetruth 25
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Tue Catholic Girl 27
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion Tue Dally Mama 3

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE