Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258484 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185746 Nov 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>

How is that relevant? What does salvation as Jesus conceived it have to do with Jesus being wise? I consider that nonsense...
<quoted text>
Nice try.

My response to the question of "wisdom" was a prior post.

The post to which you are responding here was about your idea of Jesus being "unimpressive".

So your entire post, most of which I deleted, is blather.

Yet I still maintain Jesus' record is "impressive", and yours is not comparably impressive.

Your post, responding to claims not made, is a case in point.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#185747 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't put forth a compelling argument. I know that you think you have, but you haven't. All you've done is tell everyone what your opinion is.
Let's put this in a more human perspective; Have you ever let your child stumble and fall on his ass while learning to walk? Have you ever sat back and watched your wife maybe fumble with the remote control? Have you ever seen a stranded motorist and done nothing to help?
I'm sure you have. That's human nature, we all have.
But that in no way means you're a bad person or you "let" bad things happen, even though you have the power to prevent, or help, these things.
God has the power to help us all in what we'd call a perfect life. But what good would that teach us? What lessons would we learn?
Your gentle god stands by while tornadoes destroy people's lives.

Don't forget typhoons.

Hardly equivalent to sitting by while the wife fumbles with the remote.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185748 Nov 19, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
one question only: "where's the proof of the god your cult sent you here to lie to us about?"
Only God can prove God.

The rest is taken on faith.
Bongo

United States

#185749 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit aside though, you make a lot of money and pay very little (if anything) in taxes.
The guy who earns a salary can't do that.
I go to dinners at Nobu and Providence, and the guy paying laughs and laughs, because the taxpayers fund 50% of the dinner. Lobster, beef Wellington, old Bordeaux wines. You're paying for it.
Ask Buck to come to Cali again and continue your seduction. After some wining and dining you may get the paradiso. Subsequent to the paradiso you will likely have some expenses to write off.

Location hidden

#185750 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Which quote? And where are my words that you claim mean what you say they do? Your bare unsupported claim has already been refuted with evidence at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... Where's your rebuttal to all of that evidence contradicting your bare claim? Was this it?

You said you agreed with Dawkins' words.

In those words, he said he does not call himself an atheist and gave his reasoning.

Either your claim that you agree is bull shit, or all your claims calling yourself an atheist are bull shit.

Choose a bull shit answer and go with it.
Bongo

United States

#185751 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, my bad.
You ramble so much and I'm usually pressed for time, I have to be quick on my responses.
To answer your questions:
1. Yes, God is perfect.
2. No. The Bible is inspired by God but ultimately written by men.
3. Yes, no, yes.
Why do you keep calling God "Jehovah"? I find it strange that you'd interject one Hebrew word in the middle of all the English words.
God - English.
Jehovah - Hebrew.
RR, Ians is Jewish. Another proof of God. God said he would blind them and deafen them or something along those lines. His ardent claims and assertions are evidence of this.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#185752 Nov 19, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. would you please reconsider your position ??..
.. KIVA is a non-profit organization that helps entrepreneurs in 3rd world countries through micro-financing. For personal reasons, I no longer support this organization but check this out ..
http://www.kiva.org/teams
.. the #1 lending team is atheists, agnostics and skeptics. Christians hold the #2 spot but are approximately $4,000,000.00 behind ..
.. Eagle, people will be people regardless of belief or non-belief. Some are charitable, some are not. Religion has nothing to do with it ..
.. your line of reasoning is, well, unreasonable ..
Hi Happy, how’s it going?

I have had this same discussion with E12 on two occasions previously and both times I have provided links to various secular charities including the Red Cross (both American and British), United Nations Childrens Fund. Oxfam, Médecins Sans Frontières etc.

I know for a fact that those charities are working in Philippines.

I have also shown him links to major philanthropists who for the most part are atheist Warren Buffet, Mark Zuckerberg, Paul Allen and Segrey Brin come to mind here. Can’t say I know of any christian philanthropists but I’m sure there must be some

Atheist do not really bother advertising their charity because they have no need for extra god points therefore they have no need to shout there intentions on topix, like most people they just get on with what needs to be done. Having said that, as you say, people will be people and I would not mind betting that I have contributed more to the Philippines aid drive than he earns (or scrounges) in a month. In fact given that he protest so much I would not mind betting that he has not contributed a cent to any charity for Philippines aide purposes

However this will of course never stop his ignorant lying abuses, he will wait until the next disaster and start of on the same BS again… and again…. and ….

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#185753 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't think I screwed up, but it doesn't matter to the discussion. My claim is that a god cannot be both perfect and imperfect in the same way at the same time. Perfect means not making any mistakes.
From Wiki: "Reductio ad absurdum (Latin: "reduction to absurdity")... is a common form of argument which seeks to demonstrate that ... a statement is false by showing that a false, untenable, or absurd result follows from its acceptance."
The claim is made that a perfect god exists that communicated with us through what is called his Word - the Christian bible, a book filled with errors of scientific fact, failed prophecies, unkept promises, self-contradictions, and descriptions of failed projects undertaken by that god including failed (fallen) angels and men.
Have you ever seen that sign that says the Boss may not always be right, but he is still the Boss?

There is a wisdom in that that escapes you.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185754 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your gentle god stands by while tornadoes destroy people's lives.
Don't forget typhoons.
Hardly equivalent to sitting by while the wife fumbles with the remote.
I did say let's put this in a human perspective.

Did ya miss that part?

Why should God stop tornadoes or typhoons? He's given people the sense to live somewhere safer. They choose not to.

Why is that God's fault.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#185755 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OCB?!
Lol, sure Chris.
Her word is like stone, huh?
I have never known OCB to lie and I have know you to lie

So who should I trust the person who does not lie and who confirms my recollection of events

Or you who does lie?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185756 Nov 19, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
nano will surely like this (others should also take heed)
http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/mcac_rhian_...
Yikes!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185757 Nov 19, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> RR, Ians is Jewish. Another proof of God. God said he would blind them and deafen them or something along those lines. His ardent claims and assertions are evidence of this.
Jewish the race or Jewish the religion?

Lol

Or Jewish the money-wise?

HA HA!!

Rocky Ford, CO

#185758 Nov 19, 2013
http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/11/18/400-po...

Buck, this kid would have ran right over you.
Bongo

United States

#185759 Nov 19, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you constantly make posts that are so easily demonstrated to be false ?
The only way not to have to pay taxes is not to have an income or be extremely wealthy.
What is the starting point of extreme wealth, purfesir? Im mostly retired now but a few years ago 100% depreciation of equipment was allowed. Paid no tax on 7 figures, go figure. And there wont be any on an eventual sale, which would be taxable, due to doing like kind exchanges. The streets are paved with gold here in America. When you have a highly appreciated stock , don't sell, just borrow against it at low low intrest, ta da, no tax . I love America.

Rocky Ford, CO

#185760 Nov 19, 2013
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/11/18/big-...

Plenty of turkeys on Topix,

I have two 14 pounders to cook. I don't much care for turkey.

Location hidden

#185761 Nov 19, 2013
<quoted text>
Wrong. This bare claim has already been refuted with evidence at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... that put your claim to the lie.
<quoted text>
No, it has not been refuted.

If anything you reinforced it.

Your alleged "refutation" is another copy of the doctored reference from another source - NOVA.

You have responsibility for falsifying evidence, since you used the fraudulent reference to make your point, not theirs, and your point is proven not only in error, but fraudulent, by the complete transcript.

I am content to let you continue to lose on this argument for as long as you wish.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185762 Nov 19, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
Our government is corrupt but theirs is openly corrupt. I did recently hear that some citizens in Mexico have began to fight back against the cartels. I think the government is making an effort to fight the organized crime as well. It is a dangerous place. But hopefully, one day they will turn it around. Mexico could be the next Japan in exports. I would rather the US buy goods from our hemisphere versus China. I don’t think it will happen in my lifetime but maybe one day we will see an open border with Mexico.
I disagree with your assessment and their implications. I feel much safer here than I did in the States.

Violent crime is a much smaller threat to me here. We are not targets of the cartels. Guns are far scarcer.

Maybe you heard about extortion/kidnapping. That is principally the successful Mexican businessman's problem, whose wealth is visible, and who has local family that understand Spanish to pay ransoms. It simply doesn't pay to kidnap a foreigner of unknown means who may be unable to understand the extortionist's demands, and who may live alone and not be able to meet them as a captive, or who may have a frail older spouse that is just as unable to cooperate.

The corruption in American government, which is of a different nature, is far more serious, and hurts you much more than corruption here hurts me. In fact, I can benefit from the bribing style corruption here if I choose to, because it's affordable to me. You cannot afford what it costs to get special treatment in America. Only people much, much wealthier than you can. But I can afford to grease the wheels of most government processes, and can buy my way out of many legal matters, because the cost is within reach, nice to know if push comes to shove.

I am much less likely to die behind the wheel than you are. I walk almost everywhere, and much of the driving that I do is under 25 MPH on cobblestone streets. If a car kills me, it will more likely be while I am a pedestrian.

We are exposed to far fewer toxins. Most of our local meat and produce is locally grown/raised. These are small time operations which simply don't have the money for pesticides, hormones and antibiotics on the scale to which you are accustomed and exposed.

We are far less likely to have our financial assets frozen, seized or raided.

This government is too poor to spy on us or wage a war on drugs against us the way the American government does.

The increased risks are few. The legal system is based on the Napoleonic Code which can be a problem if you are accused of a crime. Also, parasitic infections are more likely here.
Bongo

United States

#185763 Nov 19, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Happy, how’s it going?
I have had this same discussion with E12 on two occasions previously and both times I have provided links to various secular charities including the Red Cross (both American and British), United Nations Childrens Fund. Oxfam, Médecins Sans Frontières etc.
I know for a fact that those charities are working in Philippines.
I have also shown him links to major philanthropists who for the most part are atheist Warren Buffet, Mark Zuckerberg, Paul Allen and Segrey Brin come to mind here. Can’t say I know of any christian philanthropists but I’m sure there must be some
Atheist do not really bother advertising their charity because they have no need for extra god points therefore they have no need to shout there intentions on topix, like most people they just get on with what needs to be done. Having said that, as you say, people will be people and I would not mind betting that I have contributed more to the Philippines aid drive than he earns (or scrounges) in a month. In fact given that he protest so much I would not mind betting that he has not contributed a cent to any charity for Philippines aide purposes
However this will of course never stop his ignorant lying abuses, he will wait until the next disaster and start of on the same BS again… and again…. and ….
Good morning yammering dyslexic nymphomaniac. Atheists give for people points and due to peer pressure. Theres also much guilt involved. And only out of their abundance. The percentage of net worth is always a small fraction. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

Location hidden

#185764 Nov 19, 2013
There is no ID theory.
From Paul Nelson, Creationist and PhD in philosophy of biology and evolutionary theory, quoted in the NOVA documentary at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cAn_vQXBPtIXX and elsewhere:
"Easily, the biggest challenge facing the I.D. community is to develop a full-fledged theory...
This is funny.

Did you think I would not catch your deflection?

I suspect it was for your fans, not for me. Because you know I'm not that easily duped.

You deflected from the charge of using a fraudulent reference to "impune ID theory", as I called it, by launching into a critique of theory, in the formal sense, versus theory in common vernacular.

Fine it's a hypothesis, formally speaking.

I have stated so numerous times.

Many hypotheses are referred to as a "theory" in peer-reviewed scientific literature.

I have provided multiple examples before.

You wasted your effort
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#185765 Nov 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Only God can prove God.
The rest is taken on faith.
Faith, the excuse religious people give to one another when absolutely no evidence is available. Faith is NOT a pathway to truth, faith is gullibility. Whats truly funny is you people think using that word is somehow justification for your belief when talking to non-belivers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 11 min Aura Mytha 27,311
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min one way or another 58,250
News Washington court rules against florist in gay w... 1 hr Pence of Tides 54
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 2 hr Dogen 1,945
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) 5 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 167
News Quotes from Famous Freethinkers (Aug '12) 6 hr Hedonist Heretic 1,947
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 9 hr IB DaMann 5,963
More from around the web