Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185701 Nov 18, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. The tax code was created by the rich for the rich. The richer you are, the more the tax code benefits you.
You are stupid, BeenAssFucked.

Half the people pay no federal income tax.

The top 5% of income earners pay almost 60% of federal income taxes.

Some system the rich set up for themselves.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#185702 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not a loophole.
And if I generated that large income, I would generate more money in taxes to the federal treasury than I would with the lower income, even allowing for the tax code provisions you call loopholes.
Further, to generate and manage that income, I would have to employ people.
You know - jobs. Heard of that lately?
And if I get the benefit of the thoroughbred "loophole", it is a marginal inducement to hire even more people.
And they will then pay taxes. See how it works?
Or, I could assume liberals are going to gain even more power, and will take ever more of my income so Barrack and Michelle's dog can fly to Martha's vineyard,,,,
and decide to stay where I am. Then we all lose.
Bullshit aside though, you make a lot of money and pay very little (if anything) in taxes.

The guy who earns a salary can't do that.

I go to dinners at Nobu and Providence, and the guy paying laughs and laughs, because the taxpayers fund 50% of the dinner. Lobster, beef Wellington, old Bordeaux wines. You're paying for it.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#185703 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you constantly make posts that are so easily demonstrated to be false ?

The only way not to have to pay taxes is not to have an income or be extremely wealthy.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#185704 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Any of them can be used to mislead.

You'll have to come up with better arguments.

And for the life of me, I can't understand why you identify with the wealthy elite.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#185705 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I figured out why you are such a jerk, BlimpBuffoon.
You are a dick amputee.
I finally figured out why you never respond with anything intelligent, You're totally incapable of refuting just about anything I post, so you hurl childlike insults and then slink back under your rock.

BTW you seem obsessed with penis's, why is that!!!!!! This is you second post with a penis reference. Maybe too much time is prison with Bubba!!!!
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#185706 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That's big talk for a guy with no dick.
Oh oh, this would be your "Third" reference to a penis. Now I'm really convinced. Thats ok, nothing wrong with same sex couples, I have NO problem, completely ok with your sexual preference.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#185707 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Cite your source, please.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#185708 Nov 18, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Cite your source, please.
This say's 70%.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/12/news/economy/...
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#185709 Nov 18, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Lying your ass off once more I see. You make these ignorant statements without bothering to research the subject. I do believe thats called being a lazy ass.
In 10 days Atheists have raised 55,495.00, call that "nil" if you want.
I do believe there are MUCH better places to ask for donation than TOPIX, really now!!!!
You have NO idea how asinine your comments are, and how idiotic your conclusion are. Simply because Atheist do not believe in God automatically means they care nothing for their brothers and sister of this planet. And the incredibly sad part is you don't even know how pathetic and TOTALLY UNSUPPORTED your claim is. Do you in fact have documentation that verifies your claim that Atheists care nothing for others and refuse to help those less fortunate?
Post this information or forever be known as a lying f8cking assclown!!!!
This is what I said,

“Secondly there may be small pockets of charitable donations from individual Atheist.”

Atheist here on topix are always bragging how Atheism is growing by leaps and bounds. At the same time you claim faith in God is diminishing.

Yet all you can offer to a devastated community a mere 100k from all the Atheist in the entire country? That’s about less than 2% raised by a benefit concert hosted by Blake Shelton. Blake believes in God by the way as most of the performers for “Healing in the Heartland.”

That doesn’t include the millions that went to the Red Cross and Salvation Army before the benefit concert.

You should be mad because your fellow Atheist are pitiful contributors to charity which may include yourself in that group. I would be ashamed to even post that pitiful response by Atheist as if that was going to make a bountiful difference.

Atheist aren’t known for their generous charity. You keep throwing Bill Gates in that mix. He doesn’t even know he’s an Atheist. He’s never came out and said “I’m an Atheist.“ His wife has had a Christian background.

Maybe you should call him and tell him that you have officially drafted him so you can claim all his charitable giving for the sake of Atheism. Lord knows Atheist need to capture that little bit of credit.

The United Methodist Committee on Relief, Direct Relief International, Matt Kemp of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder, Continental Resources, Devon Energy, ONEOK, Koch Industries, Hobby Lobby, and Carrie Underwood all pledged donations to the relief efforts.

On May 29, 2013, NBC aired Healing in the Heartland: Relief Benefit Concert, a fundraising concert hosted by country singer Blake Shelton and featured performances from Miranda Lambert, Vince Gill, Reba McEntire, Rascal Flatts, Usher, Darius Rucker and Luke Bryan. The concert raised more than $6 million for the United Way of Central Oklahoma.[74]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Moore_torna...

----------

The Atheist Creed,“Me, Myself, and I.”

[tipping hat]

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185710 Nov 18, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a LINK to BACK YOU LIES?
No?
You just lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie and lie ...
lol
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#185711 Nov 18, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>And here again, just to prove what a lying sack o shit you are. A standup comedian named Doug Stanhope raised $100.000 for the tornado victims of Moore OK. The organization he formed to raise this money is called ATHEIST UNITED.
How does it feel to be exposed as an insensitive, lying, dirt bag????
I just wonder if "ATHEIST UNITED" had a airline, who would fly with them?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185712 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>
So you are trying to say your god **did** heal the amputees?
Wait... no he didn't.
I no case, has an amputee **ever** been healed by your do-nothing god.
I guess his "answer" was **always**-- NO.
Wow.
You seem sexually obsessed with amputees.

River has a cool link.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#185713 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Same thing, hategodbot.
Same thing-- he does not believe in gods.
**ESPECIALLY** not ***YOUR** god.
LMAO!
You might want to go tell the man because he doesn't know what he believes. Maybe you could do a Uncle Sam campaign and say Bill, "Atheist want you."
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#185714 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Indeed not-- because rapture can also describe incredible joy.
Or a joyous feeling.
And you **know** none of **that** is in your ugly bible.
Nothing in there but hurt, hate, murder and genocide.
Right?
Thank you Bob for your corroboration.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185715 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>
I agree 100%-- the system needs to be equaled out.
As it stands, the rich pay nothing, or next-to-nothing.
Yet they enjoy all the benefits of a tax-supported civilization.
Mitt Romney paid $3.2 million in 2011 in federal taxes

Obama paid $162,074 that same year.

How much did you pay?

Quit yer bitchin.
LCNLin

United States

#185716 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Mitt Romney paid $3.2 million in 2011 in federal taxes
Obama paid $162,074 that same year.
How much did you pay?
Quit yer bitchin.
R*mney of the famous 47% remark

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185717 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
I posted my claim explicitly, and you dodged it.
No, it is not "my job" to repeat your statements after I have responded to them directly with your full statement in italics above my response.
Thank you for sharing your opinion. Your unsupported claim is rejected out of hand.

Fennario

#185718 Nov 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
No. By saying you agree with the quote, you are saying you agree that the distinction between agnosticism and atheism is significant enough that, in Dawkins' case, HE PREFERS TO REFRAIN FROM CALLING HIMSELF AN ATHEIST. You said you agree with that, after spending years defending calling yourself an atheist on the same grounds Dawkins' calls himself an agnostic. So no, you do not agree. And yes, I was correct.
Which quote? And where are my words that you claim mean what you say they do? Your bare unsupported claim has already been refuted with evidence at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... Where's your rebuttal to all of that evidence contradicting your bare claim? Was this it?

Fennario

#185719 Nov 19, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
And on Behe, you lied. You presented a snipped passage from a trial transcript to convey a conclusion you assert - that Behe thinks astrology qualifies as a scientific theory on the same grounds for ID being a legitimate scientific theory.
Wrong. This bare claim has already been refuted with evidence at http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... that put your claim to the lie.
Buck Crick wrote:
You used that deception to ... impune the legitimacy of ID theory.
There is no ID theory.

From Paul Nelson, Creationist and PhD in philosophy of biology and evolutionary theory, quoted in the NOVA documentary at
and elsewhere:

"Easily, the biggest challenge facing the I.D. community is to develop a full-fledged theory of biological design. We don't have such a theory right now, and that's a real problem. Without a theory, it's very hard to know where to direct your research focus. Right now, we've got a bag of powerful intuitions and a handful of notions, such as irreducible complexity, but as yet, no general theory of biological design."

Dr. Nelson says there is no theory of ID.

So does Phillip Johnson, the born-again Christian considered by many to be the father of the intelligent design movement.

"I also don’t think that there is really a theory of intelligent design at the present time to propose as a comparable alternative to the Darwinian theory, which is, whatever errors it might contain, a fully worked out scheme. There is no intelligent design theory that’s comparable. Working out a positive theory is the job of the scientific people that we have affiliated with the movement. Some of them are quite convinced that it’s doable, but that’s for them to prove…No product is ready for competition in the educational world."

Do you see how I do this, Buck? Rather that just posting unsupported opinions and crowing about my victory as you do, I support them with evidence, in this case, the opinions of two prominent design proponents that outright contradict you.

Fennario

#185720 Nov 19, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Here's my logic ..
1. Humans are powerless over most everything including death. Do not confuse this premise with responsibility. One must accept the hypothesis of powerlessness before proceeding.
2. Like a child or pet, some humans seek a powerful being to protect them.
3. Under the umbrella of this infallible superhero, the believer acquires power and no longer feels powerless.(Think prayer, afterlife, etc.)
I have no substantive dispute with this.

I would choose slightly different language than "Humans are powerless over most everything" Yes, we are powerless over things like death, the weather, the price of gold, and much more.

But many people have a considerable degree of control over many other things such as their diets, where they live, what kind of work they do, how they spend their leisure time, and who they choose to live their lives with.

But I fully agree with your principle thesis. The love of worshipers for their notion of a god is more like the love of a child for a parent than like that of a parent for the child.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 min Eagle 12 - 83,049
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... 1 hr Eagle 12 - 2,549
High School Atheism Nov 14 Reason Personified 3
Reasoning with Insanity (Jun '16) Nov 14 Reason Personified 106
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Nov 14 Eagle 12 - 3,988
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) Nov 6 Frindly 1,175
a prayer of salvation for those who are willing Oct 24 xfrodobagginsx 1
More from around the web