Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255312 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#185383 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
As of 01-01-14 I won't have insurance.
And I can't sign up for your universal health care. They say I make to much to qualify.
Now what.
Until you can prove the god you lied about, your opinions about everything else are worthless.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#185384 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
By saying you agree with the quote, you are saying you agree that the distinction between agnosticism and atheism is significant enough that, in Dawkins' case, HE PREFERS TO REFRAIN FROM
Poor Buck, unable to prove the god of his creationist mental illness.

Keep attacking Dawkins, because you can't attack Atheism.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185385 Nov 18, 2013
Buck and Dave have degrees in Madeupology from the University of Theirtrailer.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
He is a qualified scientist, are you a qualified scientist?
He has a point of view that does not gel with your goddidit by magic mythology? You seem to have a problem with that!
And of course he requires paying for his work. Tell me what do you do to feed your family?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185386 Nov 18, 2013
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
I am enjoying Buck in my short foray here. His claims are so idiotic as to be hilarious. At least, when taken in small doses.
Take care. I may hang around for a little while...or I may not.
Buck is Buck - as tenacious in his mannerisms as a coyote with a pork chop, and as self-congratulatory as a crowing, strutting rooster patting itself on its back.

Yet I have enjoyed dealing with him as well.

I hope you hang around. Your comment about Dawkins calling himself an atheist was interesting.
Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185387 Nov 18, 2013
If all those fuckwits hadn't opposed healthcare for all back when America's debts were manageable you might have found yourself in a better position today.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
As of 01-01-14 I won't have insurance.
And I can't sign up for your universal health care. They say I make to much to qualify.
Now what.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185388 Nov 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You might be correct. Let me amend my original comment:
Mainstream science consider intelligent design pseudoscience, which is nonscience offered as science. One court has affirmed the claims of the prosecution that ID is religious in nature, not scientific.
Your amended comment is better, and almost correct.

I won't quibble with it.

Because I'm not a quibbledick.

If I were inclined to quibble, I would point out that such a blanket statement of the sentiments of "mainstream science" is unscientific.

Science, if true to its principles, does not rule by consensus.

That stifles discovery.

Thinking

Merthyr Tydfil, UK

#185389 Nov 18, 2013
Redneck says his god created everything, including the end of his healthcare.
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Until you can prove the god you lied about, your opinions about everything else are worthless.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#185390 Nov 18, 2013
<quoted text>
What my dogs express to me is their sense of affection for me, their sense of trust of me and feeling of safety around me, and their knowledge that I am here for them. I know they expect me to provide for them because they come to me for their needs. I know they like it when I hug or pet them, and when I speak in a certain tone to them.
Is that love? Yes, but of the infantile type.
Does a child love its parent any better than that? Do Christians love the notion of their god anymore than that?
These are all examples of immature love - the feeling borne of dependency. It's obviously very different from mature love, which is the love of the parent for the child and the love of the human for the pet. These are defined in terms of service for the object of love. Babies, pets, and worshipers don't and can't do that.
.. like a child or pet, yes, some believers exhibit an infantile love for a god to cope with life's difficulties ..

.. religion seems to provide a security blanket for the unknown that sates deep, conflicting human needs and makes our powerlessness tolerable ..

.. through transference, does believing in an entity with absolute power, one void of human fallibilities who watches over and protects, make some believers feel powerful and, ultimately escape the human state of powerlessness that exists ??..

.. this question is presented to both believers and non-believers. Here's my logic ..

1. Humans are powerless over most everything including death. Do not confuse this premise with responsibility. One must accept the hypothesis of powerlessness before proceeding.

2. Like a child or pet, some humans seek a powerful being to protect them.

3. Under the umbrella of this infallible superhero, the believer acquires power and no longer feels powerless.(Think prayer, afterlife, etc.)

.. I welcome all responses to my thought process ..

Location hidden

#185391 Nov 18, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
He still is a respected scientists & cultural crusader.
Creationists try to attack Dawkins because they know that they cannot attack Atheism.
Its a cowardly tactic by sufferers of faith based mental illness.
You mean I know I cannot attack atheism?

I didn't know I know that.

Septic, if you ever say anything remotely truthful, I'm placing it in a time capsule.

(A time capsule is not a medication, it is a container buried to preserve something unique or important)

Location hidden

#185392 Nov 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
If all those fuckwits hadn't opposed healthcare for all back when America's debts were manageable you might have found yourself in a better position today.
<quoted text>
Nobody has ever opposed "healthcare".

Maybe you should start thinking, Thinking.

Fennario

#185395 Nov 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Please explain how a being that has "conflicting qualities" is a sure sign that it doesn't exist.
From Wiki:

"In classical logic, the law of non-contradiction (LNC)... is the second of the three classic laws of thought. It states that contradictory statements cannot both be true in the same sense at the same time"

It cannot be true that a perfect god that makes mistakes exists

Of course, you refused or somehow otherwise failed to answer my question to you about perfection, so there is nothing for us to debate here about your personal god.

But the god of the Christian bible is said to be perfect. It obviously isn't, so it doesn't exist.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You want to blame all evil on God because evil happens and you think God is powerless to stop it or that God just doesn't exist, and of course something that doesn't exist can't do anything.
You're changing the argument. The argument is that "evil," by which I mean malice and similar things, is proof that no all-powerful, all-knowing and perfectly loving god is protecting us.

Incidentally, I blame nothing on your god.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Theodicy is really more of a social problem, people always want someone or something to blame when bad things happen.
The theodicy problem is a philosophical issue. Pain and suffering are personal and social issues.

Fennario

#185396 Nov 18, 2013
Maybe you should. Surely something as complex as a god could not exist uncreated. If it could, anything could.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You don't understand the absolute complexity that is God so you consider your ignorance a "sound rebuttal".
Why don't you enlighten me on that absolute complexity, and then rebut the argument? Is your god more complex than the things that it is claimed couldn't exist without being designed and created, such as a cell?

Location hidden

#185397 Nov 18, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>

1. Humans are powerless over most everything including death. Do not confuse this premise with responsibility. One must accept the hypothesis of powerlessness before proceeding.
2. Like a child or pet, some humans seek a powerful being to protect them.
3. Under the umbrella of this infallible superhero, the believer acquires power and no longer feels powerless.(Think prayer, afterlife, etc.)
.. I welcome all responses to my thought process ..
I do not accept the hypothesis of powerlessness.

And if powerless, there can be no responsibility.

Every day, humans exert the power to overcome limitations, acquire new skills and knowledge, perform a creative act that brings something new into the world that previously did not exist. We can provide a new and vital service, we can improve the quality of humankind.

There was a man who was noticed at a university cafeteria, sitting totally paralyzed, groaning and being fed messily by another person. He was emaciated, head slumped forward, seemingly powerless.

Later he became known as Stephen Hawking.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#185398 Nov 18, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You claimed to be a non believer (atheist by any other name) and a vision/event converted you.
No, I didn't.

I've already told you this several times.

I'm not gonna play your Topix atheist merry-go-round.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185399 Nov 18, 2013
{edited}
This is the problem right here. You ignored two of three questions asked of you,
I did not ignore them, WTF is wrong with you?

"It aint necessarily so wrote:
let's see what god you worship. Is Jehovah perfect? Did he write the bible? Is he omniscienct, omnipotent, and perfectly loving?"

"RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Jehovah" is a Hebrew word for "God". I don't speak Hebrew so no, I don't worship Jehovah, I worship God. Yes, I believe He's omniscient. No, I don't believe He's omnipotent. Yes, He's perfectly loving."

I answered all three, IANS.

You're not even reading my posts, no wonder why you think our discussions are irrelevant.

This is the problem right here. You ignored two of three questions asked of you

Fennario

#185400 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
It is nothing of the sort. Intelligent Design profers no such argument. Again, you don't know what you're talking about.
Would you be satisfied with a rebuttal of that quality? Let's see:

Yes it is and does. You don't know what you're talking about.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185401 Nov 18, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep healthy or you are going to be out on the street left to die after you loose your home to the Hospital..
Thanks, Obamacare.

pffft, and you liberals are always touting your love and compassion for everyone....

Fennario

#185402 Nov 18, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think I'm lying, then I'll let Dawkins refute you himself, Darwin'sDogPecker.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9102...
Interviewer: "Why don't you call yourself an agnostic, then?"
Dawkins: "I do"
Interviewer: "But you are called the world's most famous atheist".
Dawkins: "Not by me".
Where does that say that Dawkins doesn't call himself an atheist?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185403 Nov 18, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what happens to creationists when their doctor tells them they evolved.
HFY taught me that individual's don't evolve, Septic.

So if a doctor is telling you that, I'd suggest a new doctor...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#185404 Nov 18, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot prove God to you, Septic.

But I'm glad you're searching for Him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Majority of Scots now have no religion 56 min Eagle 12 9
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 1 hr Eagle 12 4,352
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 1 hr Eagle 12 9,737
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Patrick 13,305
News Speaking for God 2 hr Richardfs 593
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr renee 31,308
There are no such things as gods or fairies 10 hr Eagle 12 34
More from around the web