Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#185042 Nov 17, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Which god and who designed it? Was it flawed? God's creator is to blame. Perhaps he was setting (sic) in a rocking chair with a blank stare and his mouth open.
Nobody believes in created gods.

So I'm not sure who you are talking to.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#185043 Nov 17, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Furthermore, faith in gods and in the Christian god in particular has been sterile. There has been nothing learned about this god or the world in the last 2000 years attributable to faith, prayer, prophecy, or scripture - a reliable indicator of it being as ill-founded as astrology, alchemy, and humorism, the four-humor theory of disease, and for the same reason: None of them have ever generated anything of value.
Buck Crick wrote:
Statement of flat untruth - knowingly and willfully. I am forcing myself to be polite. This is why you lose credibility.
Thank you yet again for another of your unsupported opinions.

I would think that if you had a counterexample, you would be anxious to share it. What have we learned about this god or the world in the last 2000 years from faith, prayer, prophecy, or scripture?

And thank you for forcing yourself to be polite, if calling me a knowing and willing teller of untruths is polite. It's close enough to polite. I'm really hoping that we can keep this about ideas and perhaps personal habits without it becoming indictments of character and motives.

Let us not go the way Dave Nelson has gone. I had allowed him a little latitude with his references to me thinking I'm a god and some judgment about self-centeredness (perhaps he used other language - I've forgotten), but this just led to him taking further liberties (posting intoxicated), so I gave him a gentle nudge him (idiot, moonbeamery). We'll see if he can control himself, or if he prefers the alternative.

You have also strayed a little (chicken-shit, arrogant, lying), and I have absorbed it because I prefer to, especially with you having made a gesture of friendship once, and demonstrating an interest in maintaining civility here.

I hope that we can all maintain respect for boundaries.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#185044 Nov 17, 2013
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
You, who shows no respect or graciousness, somehow expects it as your just due?
Think again, sparky.
You have no idea what I dream of or what I hold beautiful, you don't have the imagination. Have you ever unwoven the rainbow and still found it lovely to behold? I can and I do.
Of course we are animals, mammals to be specific. We have all the physical attributes you describe, but I'm curious as to why you think one would want to roll around in the mud or "poo."
I can be an atheist because there is not and never has been proof of a god, I lack that superstitious belief or faith that you claim to possess. I really suspect it's more in the line of wishful thinking on your behalf. Perhaps, perhaps not I don't know how deep you are mired in theistic magic.
Answer, if you wish. My feelings certainly won't be hurt if you don't. Why would one roll around in mud or "poo" if they had the chance?
Would keep the mosquitoes from biting you.

But, my starry eyed dreamer who has had it in for old Dave for a while, that is not why I respond to that post. Your starry eyes bring to mind how man views himself. He looks up into the sky and sees things and imagines. He has some space where he can discern things. But he doesn't have that looking into his Momma. She is opaque beneath his feet. All man can do is try to sense her and how she is put together. They do this with seismic waves and assumptions.

They have created a rough model of her from those waves. The cores, the mantle the crust, the atmosphere, and even estimations of the masses and dimensions of those things.

Draw a picture, my love.

Let's start with a 4 inch circle.

Now, from that same compass point, draw one about 19% of the diameter. Roughly 3/4 inch. Then another about 52%, a little over 2 inches. Then thicken your outer circle a bit so it is about 1/100th of the radius. This will be about a millimeter.

Darken the inner circle. Shade the space between its circumference and the circumference of the next larger circle.

The dark center circle is the inner core of the earth. The shaded portion is the outer core. The area between its circumference and the outermost line is the mantle. That thickened line is the crust.

This is a 2D view of it.

Add some eyelashes, some veins in that white area, maybe a little glow outside the thickened circumference. Use a little imagination.

Those are the proportions established by seismic readings, which are vibrations with a relatively coherent mass. You would get the same if you thumped your eyeball.

Location hidden

#185045 Nov 17, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Maher is good. Whereas I do not always agree with him across the board?
His criticism of politics-- all aspects including the DemoWimps and the ReThuglicans too, is always top-notch.
Yes, I see you have a taste for high intellectual discourse.

You likely enjoyed his critique of republican Sarah Palin by calling her special needs son a "retard".

And when he ridiculed and insulted disabled WWII veterans.

Yeah, he's a treasure!

Location hidden

#185046 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Thank you yet again for another of your unsupported opinions.
I would think that if you had a counterexample, you would be anxious to share it. What have we learned about this god or the world in the last 2000 years from faith, prayer, prophecy, or scripture?
And thank you for forcing yourself to be polite, if calling me a knowing and willing teller of untruths is polite. It's close enough to polite. I'm really hoping that we can keep this about ideas and perhaps personal habits without it becoming indictments of character and motives.
Let us not go the way Dave Nelson has gone. I had allowed him a little latitude with his references to me thinking I'm a god and some judgment about self-centeredness (perhaps he used other language - I've forgotten), but this just led to him taking further liberties (posting intoxicated), so I gave him a gentle nudge him (idiot, moonbeamery). We'll see if he can control himself, or if he prefers the alternative.
You have also strayed a little (chicken-shit, arrogant, lying), and I have absorbed it because I prefer to, especially with you having made a gesture of friendship once, and demonstrating an interest in maintaining civility here.
I hope that we can all maintain respect for boundaries.
:-)

You have brightened up my morning.

It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to see that beneath that pompous ass persona presented by you lurks a sense of humor.

Location hidden

#185047 Nov 17, 2013
davy wrote:
Show your proof that unicorns don't exist. Bow down to the unicorn!
<quoted text>
Nobody cares whether you think unicorns exist.

Location hidden

#185048 Nov 17, 2013
Rational Tulsans wrote:
I am a man of God. However, I trust a white atheist more than a white christian. White Christians are racist and homosexuals.
And don't update their hairstyles.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#185049 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Thank you for sharing your expert opinion. I'll have to give serious consideration to the possibility that I don't know what I think.
I have exchanged post with you and read a few of your post. Your problem is your thoughts consume you to a level, that you couldn't even come into anything new. You are beyond closed minded. I doubt you could even complete reading a paragraph of anything written without having your own opinion take over. I would advise you to read Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now, but I don't think you have the chance to comprehend it. Your post are text book to why a person should practice detachment of thoughts.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#185050 Nov 17, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
A most profound insight put forth very well.
Thanks, Dave.

I am humbled.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#185051 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm just making observations about your sociopathic behavior.
It's cute, though, that you presume I give a crap about you, or what you think.
NO QUESTION YOU DO! Why else would you question people thoughts as often as you do, furthermore offer your alternative. Here we are on this tread "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?" and you turn and question the religious, instead of staying on what is the topic. You religiously come online questioning people's thoughts. You don't merely disagree, you attack what are the other person's confessed beliefs, then boldly offer what is your alternatives. And by no means try to reverse this on me, because I do tell you, you do know yourself, and I do respect your thoughts. It is the actions of a soulless one to do as you do. I am proud of my soul's history, and I know it exist. Your problem is yours and I can't help you, and you can't prove there is no creator.

Fennario

#185052 Nov 17, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You "chastised" me. For not dancing to your tune. I feel so mortified.
Do you think you're not dancing? You danced off to a tune of your own making, the one that told you that I was laying a trap for you, when all that I was doing was laying the groundwork for a discussion on how we can tell the difference between a group of people that are seeing reality and a group that are not. It's really a pretty interesting and useful topic.

In your evasiveness and paranoia, you convinced me that I was wasting my time. You may have noted that I never bothered to give you my answer. Toward what purpose?

As I said, I was gauging your seriousness to decide at what level and with how much energy I should engage you, and I got my answer with your unwillingness to cooperate. You refused to answer questions about your definition of close-mindedness after accusing me of the trait twice, and you failed to take matter of the two patrols reporting a water sighting seriously. Now I know: You're not interested in the exchange of ideas, just a platform from which to broadcast yours unchallenged.

No worries. We can proceed from here without any further attempts at serious conversation. You needn't worry if traps are being laid, as I'm not likely to ask you any questions for information - just rhetorical questions that need no answer while making a point.

Location hidden

#185053 Nov 17, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's so fuckincool.
Can you force your fingers to stop typing again?
Maybe.

I could force my size 16 boot up your ass.

“Robert Stevens”

Jersey City , NJ

#185054 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I already addressed this earlier.
But since you are so incredibly dense?
I'll repeat it-- the majority of god-robots on Topix, in the atheism threads, are of the Genuine Christhole™ variety (you, included-- in spite of your protesting lies).
Thus, there is little point in arguing Zeus or Thor or Quetzequatle.
More to the point?
The majority of atheists herein, were once Genuine Christians™, before becoming atheists.
So you are dead-wrong: we **do** understand the ugly christian monster-god.
We understand it **too** well-- that is part of why we **are** atheists.
This post is just another exhibition of your very poor comprehension skills. Your knowledge on new age religions, is nil. Instead of not responding or studying prior to posting on this, you proudly display your ignorance. You also fail miserably to keep up with science, yet claim to be knowledgeable. You interpretation of Quantum Physics is beyond backwards. Every scientist I have seen or read discussing Quantum Physics sooner or later states. There is a God and he is genius. It is no surprise you know nothing about it, claim you do and say "There is no God." You are my greatest proof, that if mankind went towards atheism and the belief they have no souls, it would be the slow destruction of the Human Race.

Location hidden

#185055 Nov 17, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You "chastised" me.
For not dancing to your tune.
I feel so mortified.
IAnus is the Chastising Oneness.

The position is conferred through years of people depending on him to lance boils.

It is majesterial.

Location hidden

#185056 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Do you think you're not dancing? You danced off to a tune of your own making, the one that told you that I was laying a trap for you, when all that I was doing was laying the groundwork for a discussion on how we can tell the difference between a group of people that are seeing reality and a group that are not. It's really a pretty interesting and useful topic.
In your evasiveness and paranoia, you convinced me that I was wasting my time. You may have noted that I never bothered to give you my answer. Toward what purpose?
As I said, I was gauging your seriousness to decide at what level and with how much energy I should engage you, and I got my answer with your unwillingness to cooperate. You refused to answer questions about your definition of close-mindedness after accusing me of the trait twice, and you failed to take matter of the two patrols reporting a water sighting seriously. Now I know: You're not interested in the exchange of ideas, just a platform from which to broadcast yours unchallenged.
No worries. We can proceed from here without any further attempts at serious conversation. You needn't worry if traps are being laid, as I'm not likely to ask you any questions for information - just rhetorical questions that need no answer while making a point.
Amusing.

The fact is you were setting up a false scenario and choices to feed your ego.

You are quite the bundle of issues, IANS. Egotistical, paranoid. passive/aggressive, and an imitation intellectual. Continue on with your monologues.

Location hidden

#185057 Nov 17, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you have Wally Cleaver as your avatar?
I'm just curious.
Why do you have a dancing gay snowman as yours?
truth

Australia

#185058 Nov 17, 2013
no
it is written
corupt criminals as decivers and posessors

they wuill come in my name

its not me

see
corupt evil leaders

by
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#185059 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Thanks for the advice. Same to you.
There are not only cowboys here - vaquero, they're called - I once saw a herd of steer walking down my street, horns and all, with parked cars on either side. LOL. Wouldn't that be nice if one scratched or gored a car.
I also saw a runaway horse galloping down my street collide into a car at the intersection. The horse glanced of the car and turned right onto the cross street - no blood. The car had a big dent.
Horses are still transportation for some people in Mexico. I pet the muzzle of one yesterday.
I love this life, which is nothing like what I left. It's the first non-American culture I've lived in. It's 6AM, and I hear church bells rung by hand from a tower in the background announcing the first mass of the day.
Thanks for sharing that with us. I feel a connection to Mexico and love their flag. I guess it’s my Texas culture. Texas has always had a very strong Hispanic culture. The first Vice President of the Country of Texas was a Hispanic.

He was Vice President to Sam Houston and he spoke no English or very little. His last name was Zavala. He still has descendants living in Texas. So in the run for Texas independents from Mexico. There were patriots who were Hispanic.

Viva Mexico my good Doctor, Viva Mexico!
truth

Australia

#185060 Nov 17, 2013
did you see shoes as mrazovke on dots as snjure on zigzag

see
corupt evil satanic wicket world

see map

evil mind serve evil mind

corupt leaders are evil most satanic develish mind

dot ichi i ziletichi sa rizancima

posto vase cizmice as mrazovke i mrzovoljke

look map corupt evil people

Fennario

#185061 Nov 17, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
No, the discussion does not irritate me. What irritates me is when people lie about the case, as you just did.
That's fine as long as you realize that I don't accept that judgment, and as long as you don't take it as a personal insult and reply with abusive language. Deal?
Buck Crick wrote:
Lie #1: "Christians consider intelligent design feasible". Many non-christians consider it feasible. To characterize it as something christians believe is an attempt to deceive.
How does that make the statement a lie? And seriously, do we have to get bogged down even at this point? It was Christians trying to push Panda into the curriculum, and it was Christians in court testifying for the defense.

And why do you think that you know what I believe, or that my motive is to deceive. This is where the wheels begin to come off - where I have to decide how much of this to take. Can't we converse at a higher level than this?
Buck Crick wrote:
Lie #2: "The courts and mainstream science consider it pseudoscience" One judge in one court in one district in Pennsylvania declared it unconstitutional, and did not declare it pseudoscience, since he had zero expertise and conflicting testimony to aid him in such a declaration.
That court and that judge speak for the entire legal system until I higher court intercedes. This is what Judge Jones' said in his decision:

"The overwhelming evidence at trial established that ID is a religious view, a mere re-labeling of creationism, and not a scientific theory."

Sorry, but religion trying to pose as science is pseudoscience

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 8 hr Morse 2,615
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 9 hr SnuffAGlobalist 18
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 9 hr Morse 23,260
$13.5m for jehovah’s witness sex victim 12 hr P_Smith 2
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 13 hr P_Smith 9
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 15 hr Morse 1,455
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 17 hr thetruth 168
More from around the web