Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#184838 Nov 16, 2013
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. I see you still haven't learned anything in all the time you have been on Topix. Still pushing this false definition of atheism.
Now I am not saying there are NO atheists that fit your description. What I will say is that of all the atheists I know, NONE of them fit it however. All the atheists I know hold to the position that there is no evidence for any god and therefore belief in any god is not warranted.
Now I realize the difference between this and what you think atheism is can be rather subtle, and you don't do subtle. But take my word on it, there is an important difference.
Ask yourself this...does it take faith for you to have a lack of belief in Vishnu?
Hello, hello! Good to see your avatar!

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#184839 Nov 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to check with your pal Skom on that one.
That's his gig.
Is that what a skom is?... A lotioned up cucumber?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#184840 Nov 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, RR, look.
Your Alabama doppelganger!
Ya and notice my response...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184841 Nov 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Not touched by a lotioned up cucumber, no.
<quoted text>
I dunno what is it?
Hey, Catch is a grown man.

Sticking a lotioned up cucumber up his ass is not pedophelia.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#184842 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it with you people and transforming 'touch' into pedophelia?
It's their latent or active homosexuality driving their hatred of Christianity.

Gee, there are Christian churches they can go to that will even marry them if they find the right guy there.

Fennario

#184843 Nov 16, 2013
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Hello Ians. First time I've been here in quite a while.
I've been away from the atheist forum for nearly a year myself. I was posting on Why Should Jesus Love Me for most of 2013.
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
I recently came across a book suggested in Jerry Coyne's blog titled "The Authoritarians". The author is a social psychologist in Canada. The book is primarily about the far right wing of the Republican party, but also explores their connection, differences and similarities with fundamentalists. It was a moderately interesting read. I am sure you will notice many of the personality types he talks about from your experience on Topix. I certainly did.
You can find the free PDF here...
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/
If you skip the notes, which are mostly there to provide greater technical detail, it is a pretty quick read.
Thanks. I may take a look. I'm already pretty convinced that the conservative politicians and their backers are a disease, but I've also become pretty apolitical.
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Take care. Hope all is well with you.
BTW...I see you are still having to put up with Buck. How sad.
Buck and I haven't interacted in a year, so I find him easy to tolerate now. But I know that that is very much subject to change. He is already becoming more hostile and openly disrespectful, which is boring and unacceptable.

We'll see how long we can converse. I'll tolerate his idiosyncracies - even celebrate them with him - but not his abusive side. Unfortunately, we seem to be headed there.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#184844 Nov 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Is that what a skom is?... A lotioned up cucumber?
It used to be pickles.

Skom grew the pickles intto cucumbers.

He and RiversideRacist enjoy that sort of banter.

Who understands Christians?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#184845 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you do that for? You perv!

Fennario

#184846 Nov 16, 2013
Bongo wrote:
if you don't assert there is no God youre not an atheist.
I don't assert that there is no god, but I call myself an atheist because I am not a theist. Is that OK with you?
Bongo wrote:
A real atheist wouldn't spend mush time in forums like this, only those seeking proof , contradicting Gods mandate, only by faith.
I'm a real atheist, and intend to spend a fair amount of time here if the conversation remains sufficiently stimulating. Is that OK?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#184847 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your fantasy.

Your reality is spanking babies, hitting wives, calling black people monkeys.

I'm sure your Jesus is very proud of you.

Fennario

#184848 Nov 16, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave's a chick magnet or something like that.
His south pole repels them.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#184849 Nov 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. I reserve the right to unatheistize, in the event a god touches me on the head a la RR.
I do not believe anything "survives" beyond physical death: There may be a corpse, or ashes, and memories for those still alive, but in the sense of a continuation of any sort, in any form, as in a soul or its equivalent, no. To me, death ends the process. Our allotted time here, or anywhere, has expired. And by the way, I'm very comfortable so believing.
I am not aware of any evidence to the contrary.
But you know me, I'm always open to consider evidence.
An honest annunciation.

Good. Around here that's refreshing.

The aforementioned evidence is available, but requires study.

Your stated position suggests you would not invest the time.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#184850 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It is your opinion that God is nonexistent that prevents you from experiencing Him.
Utilize your common sense and logic. Tell me how that's got you convinced that God is nonexistent.
Nothing...ever...happens. Nothing. Nothing even remotely supernatural has ever occurred in all my years of walking this silly little planet populated by highly superstitious and unfinished creatures a.k.a. as human beings. 2000 plus years of nothing but unsubstantiated claims as to the power and wonder of your god, but not one trace of hard evidence. Nothing. I need more, a lot more, than nothing...

Why has god stopped showing himself as he did in the OT? He was never shy about sending angels earthward, throwing thunderbolts, destroying cities, you know, tangible evidence - something people could actually point to and say, "See, God's real." Did Jesus force his father into anger management classes?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#184851 Nov 16, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be making the argument that the people who disagree with one another have a better handle on what the authentic nature of reality is than those who agree.
Here's a question that I posed to Eagle < http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... >, which he either never saw or chose to ignore. I'll offer it to you now:
You and the rest of your ten man detail are on maneuvers in an Afghani desert when an explosion kills three of your squad, and leaves you blind and limping. Two three-man details leave you and go in opposite directions in search of water.
They each return to you claiming that they have seen water in the distance, are planning to go to the water, and will help you get there with them since you are not expected to survive long enough for them to return with water for you.
Both groups swear that they have seen water, but it's very hot out, they're dehydrated, and you realize that one or both groups might be seeing things - a mirage. Which will you follow, and how can you decide? In other words, is there a way to decide when a group of people claim to see something whether they actually do or not? How can you decide which one is describing reality?
This is probably pretty easy, but in case it's not, a full discussion will follow your answer - assuming that you give one.
I'd follow the one who looks cool and smiling like he's in an air-conditioned penthouse.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184852 Nov 16, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you do that for? You perv!
To correct you.

I made a comment about you pedophelia thinking atheists and you reported my cucumber comment about Catch.

You stand corrected.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184853 Nov 16, 2013
**reported** should be **reposted**

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184854 Nov 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your fantasy.
Your reality is spanking babies, hitting wives, calling black people monkeys.
I'm sure your Jesus is very proud of you.
More proud that watching you lie your way through life.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184855 Nov 16, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing...ever...happens. Nothing. Nothing even remotely supernatural has ever occurred in all my years of walking this silly little planet populated by highly superstitious and unfinished creatures a.k.a. as human beings. 2000 plus years of nothing but unsubstantiated claims as to the power and wonder of your god, but not one trace of hard evidence. Nothing. I need more, a lot more, than nothing...
Why has god stopped showing himself as he did in the OT? He was never shy about sending angels earthward, throwing thunderbolts, destroying cities, you know, tangible evidence - something people could actually point to and say, "See, God's real." Did Jesus force his father into anger management classes?
Because we don't live in OT times.

They were pre-Jesus.

We are post-Jesus.

Get with the times.

Fennario

#184856 Nov 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
You have not, and cannot, disprove the god.
Not to you. But you make decisions base on faith. I have nothing to offer that can overcome that.

"Faith transcends reason the way a criminal transcends the law." - Pat Condell
Buck Crick wrote:
You should have known someone would come along smart enough to call you on the subterfuge.
Were you referring to yourself? Please don't make me be more immodest than I am. I am really trying hard to rein it in.
Buck Crick wrote:
Leonard Mlodinow, Quantum Physicist, Atheist, co-author with Stephen Hawking: "As a scientist, I can tell you, science cannot tell you either way whether there is a god or not a god". I think Dr. Mlodinow knows more about what science can do than you.
Why do you think that is relevant? Are you assuming "a god" means the Christian god?
Buck Crick wrote:
Now you can hedge and admit you can't disprove "god", but can disprove a particular god, as in the christian god.
That is my claim.
Buck Crick wrote:
No, you can't. You can only disprove alleged incidents and descriptions made by human beings. Then, as is the habit, you will try to drown the distinctions in a sea of unrelated words.
By human beings? Who wrote the Word of God. If it wasn't a god toss it out.

Are you still wondering why I say that you function like a Christian?

Fennario

#184857 Nov 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
You are wrong. God or no god, there are other reasonable explanations for the characteristics of chromosome 2.
Common ancestry is one explanation. It surprises no one that it is the favorite. Your statement of "proof" is incorrect.
Thanks once again for sharing your unsupported opinions. You know how we all treasure them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God' existence 5 hr Geezerjock 1
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 6 hr tha Professor 1,051
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 14 hr Morse 30
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 21 hr Ooogah Boogah 14,456
Young atheists: The political leaders of tomorrow Thu thetruth 6
Why Christians should stick up for atheists Thu thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Thu QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE