Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258478 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#184789 Nov 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You clearly have a need to categorize people, according to their beliefs or nonbeliefs.
If I tell you that my view is that belief in the supernatural, any of it and all of it, is infantile and silly, where does that place me?
I will consider a response intended as ridicule to be a concession.
I don't care to categorize anyone, and could not care less what they call themselves...

...except when they try to have it two ways.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#184790 Nov 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Good music?
Here's some:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1pLTD23l468XX
.. here's a song for your favorite pig ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#184791 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What taxes support Christianity?
Not mine.

I live in a country whose Constitution was written following a bloody revolution in which the church had supported the entrenched power. It paid for that dearly. Some of the following < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholicis... > has been relaxed:

"1917 Mexican Constitution - Anti-clerical elements were included in 1917 Mexican Constitution. Five elements in the Constitution were aimed at reducing the Catholic Church’s influence in Mexican domestic affairs.

"Article 3 enforced secular education in Mexican schools.

"Monastic vows and orders were outlawed in Article 5.

"Article 24 prevented public worship outside the confines of the Church buildings.

"According to article 27, religious institutions were denied the right to acquire, hold, or administer real property. Furthermore, all real estate held by religious institutions through third parties like hospitals, schools, was declared national property.

"Finally in article 130, it declared all basic civil responsibilities like voting or commenting on public affairs was taken away from Church officials.

"The Mexican government was extremely harsh in their attempt to eliminate the Catholic Church’s legal existence in Mexico. The stern premises of the 1917 Constitution contributed to the rise of resentment between the church and state."

Fennario

#184793 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I had a dream last night. You probably did, too. But they're not real?
Sure they were, just like your bible and the Christian church.

What's not real is what they imply. Those are illusions.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#184794 Nov 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good.
Go play with your chickens.
.. you'd like RR's chickens; they're fully trained ..

Thinking

Royston, UK

#184795 Nov 16, 2013
Oh yes, Redneck has got it bad. He's covering for his abuser.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
He certainly does. Here's more, and it sounds like what we just read from this poster:
GOD AS ABUSER: Similarities Between the Christian God and Abusive Spouses
http://atheism.about.com/od/whatisgod/p/Abuse...
"Part of the process of encouraging the victim to feel inadequate involves getting them to feel that they really do deserve the abuse ... God is described as being justified in punishing humanity.
"Abusers instill fear in their spouses; believers are instructed to fear God.
"Abusers are unpredictable and given to dramatic mood swings; God is depicted as alternating between love and violence.
"Abused spouses avoid topics which set off the abuser; believers avoid thinking about certain things to avoid angering God.
"Abusers make one feel like there is no way to escape a relationship; believers are told that there is no way to escape God’s wrath and eventual punishment.
"God is usually described as jealous and unable to handle it when people turn away.
"God is portrayed as using violence to force people to comply with certain rules and Hell is the ultimate threat of violence. God might even punish an entire nation for the transgressions of a few members.
"By getting [people] to feel worthless, helpless, and unable to do anything right, they will lack the self-confidence necessary to stand up to the abuser and resist the abuse. Believers are taught that they are depraved sinners, unable to do anything right and unable to have good, decent, or moral lives independent of God. Everything good that a believer achieves is due to God, not their own efforts.
"[V]ictims are told that it’s their fault when an abuser gets angry ... Humanity is also blamed for everything that goes wrong"
==========
Another take on this subject:
GOD: THE ABUSIVE BOYFRIEND
http://conversationalatheist.com/general-essa...
Ways the Christian God is like the most extreme version of an abusive (and possibly psychotic) boyfriend:
[1] Needs constant praise.
[2] Makes you feel guilty for just being human.
[3] Has severe jealousy issues.
[4] He lets painful experiences happen to you that he could easily prevent, just to test your devotion to Him.
[5] Claims credit for everything good in your life; claims nothing bad in your life comes from Him.
[6] Threatens you with eternal torture if you ever leave Him.
[7] He is constantly swearing that He loves you and you need Him.
Ways to tell if you are in danger of being taken advantage of in a relationship with this abusive God:
[8] You are highly defensive of Him from even the slightest criticism of His flaws.
[9] You talk to Him every night, and He never responds yet still expects unwavering devotion.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#184796 Nov 16, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. here's a song for your favorite pig ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =rweU-FFE6WwXX
I like it. Thanks. Sarah McLaughlin, wow.

You might appreciate this final scene to a true story.

Thoughtful ponderings. Hope you saw the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Fennario

#184797 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Nice. But you really shudda got IANS' permission first.
You have my blessings, but not my mind.

I have little interest in Ehrman's opinions. I disagree with him, and don't trust his motives. To me, he seems like a Christian who has rejected a few key elements of Christian doctrine, and now claims that that makes him a non-Christian.

Not to me. He may be a non-Christian from a theological perspective, but theology means nothing to me. Like Dave and Buck, he functions as a Christian apologist, and I consider him the functional equivalent of a Christian. The similarities drown out the differences.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#184798 Nov 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good.
Go play with your chickens.
They like bread.

They also like fresh cut grass.

So I made em a couple of grass sammiches.

What's the difference between a blinds and a mosquito?

The mosquito will stop sucking after you smack it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184799 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
Unless the Lord hardens your heart, of course.
He wouldn't do that.

People harden their own hearts.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184800 Nov 16, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it? I mean you're in a pretty elite club here. Many people would be thrilled just to meet the Pope, but you met the creator of all things. Think of it: the creator of ALL THINGS sought you out. If that wasn't enough, he actually TOUCHED you. One would think there would be some residual effect (enhanced intelligence, increased wisdom, etc.) resulting from such an event, but I think we can safely rule that out. Rather disappointing, I must say.
God has touched millions of people, possibly billions.

I'm nothing special.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184801 Nov 16, 2013
<quoted text>
We're all biased in favor of evidence. The evidence for Plato the man is much better than that for Jesus the man. Either of them could have been composites of several people, but the one called Plato left books.
The evidence for Jesus the god, is what matters. The existence of Jesus the man is of little consequence of he wasn't also a god. The words attributed to him are useless if they aren't divine, since they weren't original.
Plato's words, by contrast, are valuable on their own merit whatever their provenance.
There's the bias. You believe that Plato left books. For all you know, they weren't written by him, just attributed to him.

There's more evidence that Jesus the man existed than Plato the man.

My question is, why would a person so easily believe one but not the other?

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#184802 Nov 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It makes you an atheist. Is that a problem for you? It isn't for me.
Tell me, do you believe any element of you survives beyond physical death?
There is abundant evidence that it does.
Thanks. I reserve the right to unatheistize, in the event a god touches me on the head a la RR.

I do not believe anything "survives" beyond physical death: There may be a corpse, or ashes, and memories for those still alive, but in the sense of a continuation of any sort, in any form, as in a soul or its equivalent, no. To me, death ends the process. Our allotted time here, or anywhere, has expired. And by the way, I'm very comfortable so believing.

I am not aware of any evidence to the contrary.

But you know me, I'm always open to consider evidence.

Redondo Beach, CA

#184803 Nov 16, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care to categorize anyone, and could not care less what they call themselves...
...except when they try to have it two ways.
Even three-ways can be fun.

Redondo Beach, CA

#184804 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
They like bread.
They also like fresh cut grass.
So I made em a couple of grass sammiches.
What's the difference between a blinds and a mosquito?
The mosquito will stop sucking after you smack it.
Please retell the joke.

In English this time, please.

Fennario

#184805 Nov 16, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
They would be a lot more believable if they didn't quote others, or use the same terms and formulations in their arguments. It's like they agree with what their teacher said. None of them are the slightest bit original in their argumentation. They are almost interchangeable. The theists on here at least show some originality of thought and uniqueness of personality. Real people versus mass media clones.
You seem to be making the argument that the people who disagree with one another have a better handle on what the authentic nature of reality is than those who agree.

Here's a question that I posed to Eagle < http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... >, which he either never saw or chose to ignore. I'll offer it to you now:

You and the rest of your ten man detail are on maneuvers in an Afghani desert when an explosion kills three of your squad, and leaves you blind and limping. Two three-man details leave you and go in opposite directions in search of water.

They each return to you claiming that they have seen water in the distance, are planning to go to the water, and will help you get there with them since you are not expected to survive long enough for them to return with water for you.

Both groups swear that they have seen water, but it's very hot out, they're dehydrated, and you realize that one or both groups might be seeing things - a mirage. Which will you follow, and how can you decide? In other words, is there a way to decide when a group of people claim to see something whether they actually do or not? How can you decide which one is describing reality?

This is probably pretty easy, but in case it's not, a full discussion will follow your answer - assuming that you give one.

“In God we trust”

Since: Dec 12

Cape Town, South Africa

#184806 Nov 16, 2013
These low life atheists believe religion's disappearing.

Seriously?

Fennario

#184807 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The freethinkers don't like that we are open-minded
Since Dave refuses, perhaps you'd like a shot at defining open mindedness, and explaining to us how that applies to you.

Fennario

#184808 Nov 16, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. I'm sorry I forgot the key to the handcuffs ..
.. how did you [Riverside Redneck] escape ??..
He has no hands.

Fennario

#184809 Nov 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
God is not omnipotent, He is not all-powerful. There are things that even God can't do
That's a huge step in the right direction.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 9 min Dogen 61,792
News Nonsense of a high order: The confused world of... 29 min Dogen 2,794
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 1 hr Uncle Sam 100
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr Eagle 12 5,973
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Tue Regolith Based Li... 28,326
Atheist Humor (Aug '09) Mar 22 Eagle 12 452
Deconversion Mar 20 Eagle 12 138
More from around the web