Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#184366 Nov 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> we didn't have a choice in what we were born into. Billions of animals killed daily for our consumption didn't either, and we take no thought for them.
I take thought for the animals and plants that died for me every time I say Grace.

You?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184367 Nov 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationist liars try to sound scientific, but if you ask them for evidence of god, they RUN SCARED from the question, because they know the answer.
These creationist idiots try to talk science, but cannot disprove evolution.
They try to talk about the big bang theory and ask stupid questions like "what happened before the big bang?" when they have no proof of god and no proof that their religious lies have any base in fact.
We're just pointing out that even the "evidence based rational freethinking skeptic" has his beliefs, too.

Imagine that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184368 Nov 15, 2013
Alarice wrote:
Thirty second video of woman taking offense at the comments from an evolutionist.
Very Funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fTpD4ojOI0AXX
I want my thirty seconds back.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184369 Nov 15, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
One can believe that "A" gravitational force exists without believing in the graviton theory.
Much like I believe that there is a unified creative and motive force that created and governs the universe without believing that force is Jesus.
I prefer to call it Tao but few people understand that word and will twist its meaning. In English the closest word is "God".
The Law of Gravity is very much different than the Theory of Gravity.

I don't believe in Tao, so I don't care what you have to say about it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184370 Nov 15, 2013
Thinking wrote:
You believe in all powerful compassionate god despite having evidence of avoidable suffering.
Do you believe God causes the suffering?
Can you quantify the negative effects of your cognitive dissonance?
As I have no cognitive dissonance, I have to answer no.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

#184371 Nov 15, 2013
People can fiddle the judge icons but religion is still just superstition.

There are no gods or pixies. Get over it.

Religion = superstition
Theology = mythology

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#184372 Nov 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Huh...
NightSerf:
The ultimate skeptics reject all faith and accept only ideas for which the evidence is compelling.
--
So NightSerf must not believe in dreams, emotions or intuition...
If he does, he's full of shit.
<quoted text>
How is it that you misunderstood that I was merely pointing out his bullshit?
There is ZERO evidence for dreams.
There is ZERO evidence for emotion.
There is ZERO evidence for a gut feeling.
IF you believe they exist, you're not following your own rules that you must only believe what has "compelling evidence".
There is ZERO evidence for your deities, virgin birth and resurrection.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#184373 Nov 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Law of Gravity is very much different than the Theory of Gravity.
I don't believe in Tao, so I don't care what you have to say about it.
Exactly, you don't know what it is but you don't believe in it and don't even want to learn about it.

You are just like the atheists you bash.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#184374 Nov 15, 2013
spudgun wrote:
Interesting article
"A U.S. ecologist says conditions such as bad backs and sunburn suggest humans did not evolve alongside other life on Earth"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/articl...
Sounds a bit crazy, or could it be possible?
That's interesting, but easily refuted. The DNA of man and the 6 other extant great apes, especially the human chromosome 2 evidence, is the smoking gun proof that we all descended from a common ancestralpongid several million years ago. Hominins, man's taxon, separated from the chimps about 5-8 million years ago.

Fennario

#184375 Nov 15, 2013
Bongo wrote:
Used it on a sluggish pocket door a few months ago.
What do you know about hinges?
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#184376 Nov 15, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this part of an argument for a god belief? If so, would you please explain how. If your point is that there exist things not visible to the naked eye, I think that we would all agree to that, but still reject unsupported god claims. The claims about x-rays are different: they can be supported with evidence, including visible evidence, like a chest x-ray.
That visible evidence was not always known as miners in the 1700's could attest. Not everything is in 3-D and can be displayed like a big catch with the fisherman.

You can’t see x-ray’s with your natural eye nor does the human body know when it has been exposed unless there is a dosimeter.

My point you are wanting to see visible proof of a spirit that is invisible in most cases. Because God is not seen by the natural eye doesn’t mean he doesn’t exist.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184377 Nov 15, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
There is ZERO evidence for your deities, virgin birth and resurrection.
And yet you & I believe in Jesus...

Go figure.

Fennario

#184378 Nov 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
The way you and Nightserf use definitions is to take words with positive, intellectually respectable connotations and twist them to support your bias so as to appropriate a legitimacy to your ideas which otherwise would not apply. A more honest approach, and one which I advocate, is choosing words based on their actual meaning in order to communicate a message, and abstaining from using words based on what we wish them to mean. The use of "skepticism" is a sufficient example. Neither of you employs a proper usage of the term, but you seek to borrow its implied intellectual legitimacy in service of an agenda. This technique cannot be described as "descriptive lexicography". A more simple and quaint description is available - "bull shit".
Catcher1 wrote:
In my view, you are guilty, in your "belief" wordsmithing, of precisely what you accuse IANS and NightSerf of doing.
I thought of posting that myself, but it sounds better coming from you.

One wonders whether he is being humorously self-abasing or is really that uninsightful.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184379 Nov 15, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, you don't know what it is but you don't believe in it and don't even want to learn about it.
You are just like the atheists you bash.
Atheists spend an inordinate amount of time arguing a "non-belief" they all claim to share.

I find it very odd.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#184380 Nov 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet you & I believe in Jesus...
Go figure.
Its because you can't prove your god, that your cult is in the atheism forum, embarassing itself.

Location hidden

#184381 Nov 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Huh...
NightSerf:
The ultimate skeptics reject all faith and accept only ideas for which the evidence is compelling.
--
So NightSerf must not believe in dreams, emotions or intuition...
If he does, he's full of shit.
<quoted text>
How is it that you misunderstood that I was merely pointing out his bullshit?
There is ZERO evidence for dreams.
There is ZERO evidence for emotion.
There is ZERO evidence for a gut feeling.
IF you believe they exist, you're not following your own rules that you must only believe what has "compelling evidence".
Classic creationist propoganda - instead of admitting you're a liar with no proof of god, you try to change the subject away from this fact, by bringing in a broader comparison.

Location hidden

#184382 Nov 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We're just pointing out that even the "evidence based rational freethinking skeptic" has his beliefs, too.
Imagine that.
Who's 'we'? All I can see is a coward liar with no proof of god running scared from the question because he already knows the answer

Fennario

#184383 Nov 15, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
If I were to worship something freely and sincerely, it wouldn't be something that tortures. The Christian god simply isn't worthy of respect or affection.
Bongo wrote:
What torture are you referring to? In an earlier post you described accurately what a great time weve been born in and all kinds of gifts. I believe this is all Gods doing. You don't respect the one who gave you all, and I mean everything? Upon finding out he "is" after death and that you refused him, that may well be the torture you refer to. Incredibly advanced creators don't have thoughts or ways like man, why drag him down to your level, even an advanced human level such as yours.
Yes, hell.

There is no excuse for keeping a soul alive for eternity just to make it suffer, and for no better reason that it failed to worship you. I can hardly think of a worse thing to do. Can you?

Are you willing to believe that a creature that does that is infinitely loving?

Why did he build hell? Why did he create Satan or unleash him on earth and mankind? Why did he reward him with dominion over hell and souls to torture?

Why would you trust such a creature to keep its promises?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184384 Nov 15, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Its because you can't prove your god, that your cult is in the atheism forum, embarassing itself.
Aw, are we infringing on your God given rights?

Fennario

#184385 Nov 15, 2013
spudgun wrote:
Continued/.. One of the "great" Christian "saints" said "That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell.” Thomas Aquinas
It is difficult to understate the mental illness of such people.
Yes you read that right. These cold blooded reptiles are positively ecstatic about the thoughts of others burning in hell. The "saints" ENJOY seeing the damned being tortured in hell.
These people are clearly completely lacking in human empathy.
They are psychopaths. And at the same time claim to "love" others and say "God is love".
The Bible/ Quran God who permits eternal torture in hell of the vast majority of people for not submitting to him, is a monster / demon of the most evil kind imaginable, and totally unworthy of worship or respect.
You made the point very nicely.

The willingness to call such a god loving, or to call torture on the cross for no apparent reason love, pretty much disqualifies Christians' other opinions on the subject for me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 1 hr thetruth 202
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 2 hr chris toal 39
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 hr thetruth 2,598
Evidence for God! 3 hr thetruth 368
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 3 hr thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 4 hr thetruth 162
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr thetruth 1,451
More from around the web