Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255314 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#184466 Nov 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
SSM infringes on my rights. Does that bother you?
.. yes, a great deal ..

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#184467 Nov 15, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
If you keep those hideously ugly thoughts to yourself?
There would be no need to "justify" them, would there?
I mean-- you could easily be a secret pedophile/closeted serial killer-- and so long as you kept all those illicit thoughts to yourself?
Nobody would care, and you could live out your lie in comfort.
(and that's all I read of your ugly hate-post-- your snap-judgement is not worthy of further study)
I proudly accept this post as you admitting, you do believe in the power of thought, creating a deity. You are not really an atheist, it's your comprehension skills fails you. Now you have to respond to my quote due to your superstitions. Well isn't that special.

With Established Harem

#184468 Nov 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
To clear things up a bit.
HL sometimes gets whimsical, and posts in lighthearted jest.
She was just playing a bit in her posts to Bob.
HL is as good as they come.
.. you must want to have sex with me. Understandable ..

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#184469 Nov 15, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You may have misunderstood me. I am also a rational skeptic of science and scientists, and well aware of the fraud and errors there. Have you seen my criticisms of medical science?
I am also aware of the misuse of science by ideologues.
Nevertheless, I do trust the scientific method which includes not just the methods in the laboratory or observatory (hypothesis, experiment, data collection and analysis, etc), but also the larger scale vetting process that turns a hypothesis into useful, reliable knowledge that can help predict and at times control nature.
This larger scale method includes the vetting that goes into determining what science gets funded, the peer review of papers generated by research and submitted for publication, the reproducing of results, the confirmation of predictions generated from such results, the generation of technology from those results that makes lives better, new and fruitful research suggested by such results, and even the test of time, during which multiple supporting papers are generated and redundant evidence is accumulated (such as DNA evidence supporting fossil evidence) while hundreds of scientists vie unsuccessfully for the recognition that comes from overturning accepted science, and during which time fraudulent results are identified and culled from the literature.
Science that has survived that is unassailable.
And, of course, it is a fallacious argument and a disservice to your nation to try to undermine trust in this larger science by pointing to frauds and other failures in the smaller steps. Papers fresh out of the laboratory shouldn't be considered valid science until they have passed this greater test.
Oh, SPARE ME the happy spin. I am not one of the suckling babes who values your pseudo-authority on such matters.

Science is politicized at multiple levels.

None of it is "unassailable".

David Berlinski, NY Times, Aug 26, 2013

"What is so striking about all this is the absolute refusal of the scientific community ever -- not even once -- to examine its own behavior and especially the tendency of the scientific community both to an extravagant boastfulness and to a barely concealed eagerness to help itself to an ever larger portion of the national wealth. These people have become the robber barons of the 21st century and when they are not asking for more money they are busy annoying the rest of us with any number of absurd and inflated and very commonly deceitful claims about what they are doing."

http://ricochet.com/main-feed/A-Scientist-Bel...

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#184470 Nov 15, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. Buck has allowed me to explore his mind and it's beautiful. He hides it very well on Topix ..
.. most believers think Catcher is a sarcastic dork. They fail to read between the lines ..
.. IANS? He's passionate about his cause and, with his logical concise mind underscored by awesome writing skills, he makes it difficult for anyone to refute his position. That infuriates believers ..
.. Dave Nelson? Well, I'm still trying to understand EM between his requests for naked pictures. Maybe if I send him a nude shot, he'll write his theories in language I can understand ..
.. I've disagreed and challenged everyone of these people but it's always about principals or concepts, not personalities ..
.. we learn through questioning and rebuttal. Unless done with a bit of humor, personal attacks distract from the process ..
.. can we be friends ??..
Just make sure it is of you. I don't open my real mind for just any pretty face or figure, and never to words written on a screen.

Hi Dave! in lipstick just above the pubic area would lend credence.

Thanks for the laugh about Catcher and IANS.

With Established Harem

#184471 Nov 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I like to have my ass kissed, too.
What can I do to nobble you to do it?
.. your American Express card is expiring at the end of the month ..

.. don't forget to renew it and e-mail me the new account number ..

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#184472 Nov 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
First, you say your god "can do anything He wants."
Then, you say he "can't save atheists...."
Good one, RR.
I also wrote that He can't do anything against His character; His nature.

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#184473 Nov 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
Prove that dreams are real.
If you can't, they must not exist huh?
Genius. The man denies a good portion of the history of man. His questions are idiotic, because they show all he is, is a denier. He strongly believes the last word makes him correct. Very odd.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184474 Nov 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Define "real," as it pertains to dreams.
Actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#184475 Nov 15, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. yes, words are important ..
.. if you say someone is dead, it can have a myriad of meanings. They may be physically, spiritually or intellectually dead ..
.. in America, an atheist may be described as someone who rejects the Abrahamic God ..
.. why is your interpretation of any word the correct one? I do not understand the logic. What does it accomplish ??..
It is not "my interpretation".

That's the point. I'm advocating the actual meaning of words, both historically and by the consensus of academic usage.

We don't get to make up meanings for words, and then use the fake meaning to gain a rhetorical edge.

Case in Point: If one wants to appear as a rational skeptic, but also wants to claim atheism, he is trying to have his cake and eat it too.

Why? Because skepticism is a suspended judgement. Atheism is a belief that no god exists - judgement rendered.

An atheist cannot be a skeptic on the issue, but he knows it makes him sound more rational if he were. You know how it goes:

"I'm an atheist. I rely on evidence. I evaluate it, sift it, and lo and behold, it is not convincing. But look at that dumb hick theist over there. He doesn't rely on evidence - he has a "belief".

Hence, the bull-shit-artist trying to have it both ways.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184476 Nov 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say you were stupid.
I do say you are uneducated, indoctrinated, provincial and ignorant.
And THAT'S why you're out of your league.
HL said I should read between the lines with you.

I see nothing here worthy.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184477 Nov 15, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh shit, I gotta pay my Amex bill today.

Thanks for the reminder.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184478 Nov 15, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Genius. The man denies a good portion of the history of man. His questions are idiotic, because they show all he is, is a denier. He strongly believes the last word makes him correct. Very odd.
Typical atheist.

They deny God because there's no evidence but they accept dreams, intuition, ghosts & aliens....

And it's only the Christian God they deny. You very rarely see them discuss any other god except for jokes.

Hilarious.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#184479 Nov 15, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, SPARE ME the happy spin. I am not one of the suckling babes who values your pseudo-authority on such matters.
Science is politicized at multiple levels.
None of it is "unassailable".
David Berlinski, NY Times, Aug 26, 2013
"What is so striking about all this is the absolute refusal of the scientific community ever -- not even once -- to examine its own behavior and especially the tendency of the scientific community both to an extravagant boastfulness and to a barely concealed eagerness to help itself to an ever larger portion of the national wealth. These people have become the robber barons of the 21st century and when they are not asking for more money they are busy annoying the rest of us with any number of absurd and inflated and very commonly deceitful claims about what they are doing."
http://ricochet.com/main-feed/A-Scientist-Bel...
David Berlinski?

Intelligent design?

Discovery Institute?

Dude, please!!!!!!!!

Here I am, berating RR for interloping into serious discussions, and you have the gall to introduce this stuff?

Fremont, CA

#184480 Nov 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed.
So you want a definition of a dream as a thing? Something not imagined?

I take it back.

I'm starting to think you ARE stupid.

Fremont, CA

#184481 Nov 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HL said I should read between the lines with you.
I see nothing here worthy.
That's the problem.

Your problem.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#184482 Nov 15, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
You hypocrite.
You have posted many-many **ugly** and false accusations at me, since I've been on this thread with you.
Many times.
And I foolishly thought you were a nice guy.
How **wrong** I was...
I'm so very hurt Bob that you would say such a thing. And I was petitioning congress to have a statue made of you in Washington. The inscription would read,“Bob, the only perfect human being. He was never mean or offensive. Never told a lie ever in his whole life. Just perfection to the core.”

But some in congress didn’t want a statue of a pile of bullsh*t. Go figure…..
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#184483 Nov 15, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
It has been said that Happy Lesbo = Catcher1 and

Catcher1 = Happy Lesbo

When you talk to one you are talking to the other?

Could one person be both?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184484 Nov 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the problem.
Your problem.
Maybe it has something to do with you being an absolute genius...

I dunno...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#184485 Nov 15, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you want a definition of a dream as a thing? Something not imagined?
I take it back.
I'm starting to think you ARE stupid.
Banter is one thing, but your homosexual banter's starting to get a little weird.

I'm all out of cucumbers, man.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 min Chimney1 31,374
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr scientia potentia... 13,322
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr Eagle 12 9,739
News Why I quit atheism 12 hr Aerobatty 1
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 16 hr ChristineM 19,907
Majority of Scots now have no religion 23 hr Eagle 12 9
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 23 hr Eagle 12 4,352
More from around the web