Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#184082 Nov 14, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
.. you're being a very naughty little boy ..
.. you must want me to take you over my knee. That's understandable .
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
Classic. When confronted with facts that prove the self-delusions are just that: delusions, the victim (you) quickly turns to thoughts of violence.
You might be misinterpreting her mood and intent, Bob. You might even like it if you took her up on her offer.

How did you two get to squabbling? Your differences are relatively minor compared to your commonalities. Did one of those differences become an issue?

Since: Nov 13

New Delhi, India

#184083 Nov 14, 2013
Life is here now. It is often a struggle, and sometimes downright delicious. That is a grand enough purpose for me. may no-8468012008

Fennario

#184084 Nov 14, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Greetings, Believers usually know if they abuse the grace of God too much, they will likely not have their name in the book of life. Deep self loathing seems to conflict with easy forgiveness on demand. Often the self loathing over a matter is severe and its pernicious effects do not fit the crime. I ve noticed something recently, in my travels church after church with filled parkng lots and many with additions being constructed. To my amazement I took the time to count churches around my primary home . Within a half mile there were 9 and 2 of them were building additons. I also think if and when bad things happen in the world more people flock to the church. This is evidence of a great and mighty spirit, God. This suggests that in spite of any weakening influence to a carnal society , the church is not in downfall by 2029.
I don't think you answered my question about any believers thinking that they might not be saved, but thanks for your input.

And deep self-loathing and easy forgiveness on demand are not incompatible. They are two different aspects of the Christian message either of which you are free to assimilate or reject.

You can believe that humanity is horribly flawed, yourself included, and also that you have been forgiven by your god. Note that I am not talking about the self-loathing that comes from personal choices that you despise and for which you punish yourself as Buck alluded to earlier, but to a willingness to describe yourself and the rest of mankind in the terms common to Christianity. That's not the same thing.
Bongo wrote:
Till we all fall down, it'll do you fine,
Don't think about what you left behind
The way you came or the way you go
Let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow
That's one of the more obscure songs. I'm surprised anybody but a died-in-the-wool Deadhead would know it enough to cite it. It's a very early offering written before Jerry had developed as a tunesmith, and very rarely performed live - only five times known for sure, all in the fall of 1970.

Fennario

#184085 Nov 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You either believe in the possibility of the existence of deities or you don't.
If you do, you're agnostic.
If you don't, you're atheist.
You cannot be both.
I can, but that's because I don't accept your definition of atheist.

I am an atheist that acknowledges the logical possibility of gods because I don't know how to exclude it if it is impossible.

I also believe that it may be possible to someday show that gods are impossible, whether by a logical argument, a mathematical argument, or empirical evidence. But not today, which makes me an agnostic.

I also reject all god claims to date, which makes me an atheist. My worldview is godless.

Fennario

#184086 Nov 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I believe that Santa doesn't exist - he is a fairy tale, therefore there's nothing to be skeptical about.
Are you skeptical of Harry Potter?
You're skeptical of God, yes?
You don't seem to understand what skepticism is. It's not the emotional experience of uncertainty. It's an intellectual perspective and a method of processing claims that asks you to question what you would have accepted without doubt otherwise.

So yes, skeptics have skepticism for claims of Santa as they do for all claims, something they probably lacked as small children if accepted claims about Santa uncritically.

Fennario

#184087 Nov 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
You believe in magic if dust turns into digital communications by random action.
Who makes that claim apart from theists mischaracterizing scientists? Perhaps you are confusing blind forces with random action.

Fennario

#184088 Nov 14, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
I'l bet you can't play a lydian b7 scale in the key of Gb.

How about this:

Gb Ab Bb C Db Eb Fb Gb

The lydian Gb is the major Gb scale with the 4th raised a half step, and the b7th variant brings the F down to a Fb. Playing in on guitar is more difficult than playing a major scale because of the frequent five fret spans in most positions, which is a reach for a pinkie not accustomed to it.

I used to know this stuff pretty well, but it's fading. I studied music formally for two years - Walter Piston harmony, the modes, figured bass, sight singing, dictation - you must know the drill better than I.

For dictation and sight singing, we used tricks to identify the intervals: the first two notes of Over The Rainbow make an octave, the first two notes of the Star Trek theme are a minor 7th, the first two notes of My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean are a major 6th, etc. If you weren't sure what you were hearing, you fell back on those.

I also studied music informally including jazz guitar in the seventies at Charlie Bird's studio in DC, and can still tell you the notes in any chord. It wasn't that I cared about the jazz, just that there were no rock guitar teachers to speak of then, and if you wanted to learn guitar, it was going to be stage band arrangements of Autumn Leaves and Stormy Weather, or songs like Goodbye Porkpie Hat and Green Dolphin Street. Charlie Bird's studio (I never met the man) emphaisized the music of Django and bossa nova.

But my passion was the Allman Brothers and the Grateful Dead. And to learn that, you needed to be able to transcribe chords and melodies from the record, which I learned to do by play along with the live recordings, and lifting and replacing the needle so often that you ruined your LPs and stylus doing it.

Did you hear about the man who was so despondent about not being able to remember the bridge to "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" that he jumped out of his third story Parisian apartment window? Unfortunately, the fall didn't kill him - it only paralyzed him. As he lay there motionless, listening to approaching sirens in the distance, it suddenly came to him.(That was the mnemonic for a minor 3rd, incidentally)
Thinking

UK

#184089 Nov 14, 2013
I don't expect you to be able to back up your dippy hippy BS.
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. the desire to unweave the rainbow connotates self-transcendence ..
<quoted text>
.. first provide your rebuttal ..
.. or, do you expect me to do all your thinking, Thinking ??..
Thinking

UK

#184090 Nov 14, 2013
Yes, words were being placed in ones mouth...

To reiterate: if it turns out that we don't need to step outside of Evolution to explain feelings, it won't make those feelings less relevant.
<quoted text>
Okay. But I did not see Thinking write what **you** wrote-- and I always read his posts (they are usually dry wit and hilariously funny)

Fennario

#184091 Nov 14, 2013
NightSerf wrote:
Well, it's always fun to meet with groups of musicians, especially to enjoy a performance by one of the bands in my area. Groups of atheists? That's okay, too, until the beer runs out.

Hello, old friend! What a coincidence seeing your post seconds after leaving a musical post myself. You play either a Höfner Beatle Bass or a Rickenbacher guitar like John Lennon did if I recall correctly. I seem to recall you playing in a Beatles tribute band of sorts. I almost never play any more. My latest passion is contract bridge.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#184092 Nov 14, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's incorrect. A skeptic evaluates god claims and judges whether they have been sufficiently supported or not. If not, the claims are ignored. That's the opposite of reserving judgment.
That is reserving judgement - exactly.

It is not possible for an atheist.

Your claim is false, therefore.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#184093 Nov 14, 2013
<quoted text>
Re: inhabitable planets.
The most recent analysis of stellar observational data, strongly suggest that there are billions of planets with the "magic" numbers to support life, as we understand it on Earth.
Billions of chances to make life happen elsewhere, than here.
This would mean? That even if the odds of life spontaneously starting are a million to one? There would be more than 100 million planets **with** life among those billions.
Imagine that?
:D
But wait-- it gets better-- the above? Is just within the Milky Way galaxy.
Remember the deep field study, where the most powerful telescopes were pointed at the "dark" regions of our night sky for weeks?
And the discovery that there are trillions of whole **galaxies** within the visible universe?
Each one harboring **multiple-billions** of "goldilox" planets within?
Again, to statistics-- that means that the odds of life elsewhere in the greater universe is so close to 1:1 that it may as well be 1.
:)
Of course-- since the universe is so large, the odds of any of that life **ever** getting to **earth** are ... on the small side.
Unless there is a cheat, that permits rapid travel that we are unaware of-- always a possibility.
The estimation is in the many billions. As yet astronomy has only scratched the surface of the local area of the milky way. See the Keplar mission

http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-kepler-resul...
and
http://kepler.nasa.gov/Mission/discoveries/

There is however another limitation (to life as we know it), not only solar goldilocks zones but also theorised galactic goldilocks zones

http://astro.unl.edu/naap/habitablezones/ghz....

Which does reduce the possible candidate planets to -… still many billions.

But then there is the possibility of life as we don’t know it.

#184094 Nov 14, 2013
<quoted text>
Agreed.
The odds that life exist elsewhere in the Milky Way? Are pretty much 1:1.
There are what, around 8 million species of life on this planet alone and 90% of all known species are now extinct. That’s over over 700 million species on this one ball of rock.

Water and carbon are the main prerequisites for life

There are several other galactically local planets known to have water (hence oxygen) and carbon with more being discovered every week.

Given these facts then to say that life cannot exist beyond earth is terribly narrow minded.

#184095 Nov 14, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actual courtroom colloquy:
Q: Do you know if your daughter has ever been involved in voodoo?
A: We both do.
Q: Voodoo?
A: We do.
Q: You do?
A: Yes, voodoo.
Who do?

#184096 Nov 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it proof.
For all I know, you're talking and someone else is typing.
Or maybe you have Siri typing for you..,
Prove you have hands.
So you are calling me a liar, how pathetic.

Who is Siri? And where does Siri live? Perhaops Siri has extremely long fingers but that does not show that I am a liar.

And you believe in a god with no proof whatsoever – go figure

#184097 Nov 14, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine's proof of hands is all the hand-jobs she does for money.
She pays them money, I mean.
So you are inadvertently backing up my proof that I have fingers/hands, thank you. I mention both fingers and hands because RR seems to have changed his mind.

Anyway you seem to know a lot about hand jobs, had good training have you?

#184098 Nov 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I just threw up in my mouth a little.
*smack, smack*
Whatever turns you on –anyway if you threw up then at least your kids can eat tonight
Thinking

UK

#184099 Nov 14, 2013
By your logic, the Atheist Feynmann could have achieved nothing.

Don't judge everyone by your own low standards.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
That is reserving judgement - exactly.
It is not possible for an atheist.
Your claim is false, therefore.
Thinking

UK

#184100 Nov 14, 2013
Buck Crick dropped a lot of soap in the prison showers. His Mr Big made the best fist of it he could.
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are inadvertently backing up my proof that I have fingers/hands, thank you. I mention both fingers and hands because RR seems to have changed his mind.
Anyway you seem to know a lot about hand jobs, had good training have you?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#184101 Nov 14, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You also don't need a switch or a finger to flip it. You don't need agency at all, by which I mean a sentient, self-aware, deliberative, purposive and potent being.
What could account for the existence of such a thing, maintain its structural integrity, and allow it to act except blind laws, so cut out the middle man and start there, not some being that you suppose is their byproduct.
Your mind is stuck in the box it found itself in.

You think you have a grasp of the utter reality by what is visible looking out toward it. Not you looking so much, but what you accept others see. That means you are tied to the strictly physical you can react to. Although you reach way out there beyond in some of your secular humanism ideas. What they call wishful thinking.

They and you both can't see past the physical barriers of this universe. And they are claimed to be expanding.

You're a doctor, maybe you can understand this example.

You are a baby in the womb. That is your reality until the time comes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 41 min love_spell 14,447
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr tha Professor 1,030
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 4 hr Gillette 5,946
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 9 hr Pahu 1,422
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism Tue thetruth 25
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Tue Catholic Girl 27
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion Tue Dally Mama 3

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE