Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258042 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#183924 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not confusing anything. I don't believe in the "Christian god", either, though I would characterize the disagreement differently.
I believe there is god, while hesitatingly using that term due to the baggage.
I don't believe "god" is anything near what Christians say it is.
Neither did Jesus.
"The kingdom is in you and around you."
That's fine. I am not too interested in theological distinction, even if original. Whatever your god concept is is fine with me. I don't have any problem with private religion.

It's organized religion that I object to, and in my part of the world, that's Christianity and the Christian church. Anybody who is not supporting the it with words, votes or dollars is not part of the problem, and vice versa.

From a secularist's perspective, you function in the same way as a Christian does. Even though you disavow their god, you defend most of the same social values and political positions as people calling themselves Christians

For example, as I recall, you're opposed to abortion rights as they presently exist, right? I find it exceedingly unlikely that the Christian church didn't play a large role in that. Although there must be a few somewhere, I don't know a single unbeliever apart from a few theistic ex-Christians on the Internet such as you that holds that opinion. That's the church's unmistakable fingerprint.

So for me, it's not about what theological doctrine you believe, or whether you believe in the Christian god, but whether you are facilitating the Christian church, which you do when you oppose atheism, support god belief and faith, etc.

Theologically, you are not a Christian. But you function as one. Your presence supports their church's political and social agenda.

Wouldn't you'd agree?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183925 Nov 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice.
I smashed a guts head into a stucco wall because he called me 'white boy' one too many times.
In all fairness, I warned his ass. He didn't listen....
Concrete stucco or drivit?

Location hidden

#183926 Nov 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That's fine. I am not too interested in theological distinction, even if original. Whatever your god concept is is fine with me. I don't have any problem with private religion.
It's organized religion that I object to, and in my part of the world, that's Christianity and the Christian church. Anybody who is not supporting the it with words, votes or dollars is not part of the problem, and vice versa.
From a secularist's perspective, you function in the same way as a Christian does. Even though you disavow their god, you defend most of the same social values and political positions as people calling themselves Christians
For example, as I recall, you're opposed to abortion rights as they presently exist, right? I find it exceedingly unlikely that the Christian church didn't play a large role in that. Although there must be a few somewhere, I don't know a single unbeliever apart from a few theistic ex-Christians on the Internet such as you that holds that opinion. That's the church's unmistakable fingerprint.
So for me, it's not about what theological doctrine you believe, or whether you believe in the Christian god, but whether you are facilitating the Christian church, which you do when you oppose atheism, support god belief and faith, etc.
Theologically, you are not a Christian. But you function as one. Your presence supports their church's political and social agenda.
Wouldn't you'd agree?
Not really. I'm an opponent of the church.

Some of them could affirm that.

But they are not wrong on all things, I think.

My views are still evolving. They tend to evolve away from the church more and more.

For example, I recently commented to family members that I had learned more about God in the last few years from being around dogs than I learned in 30 years of church and Sunday school.

A dog can be in pain and squalor, and his tail is ready instantly to wag with joy at the smallest kindness.

Christians? They piss and moan about anything.

It was not well-received.

Location hidden

#183927 Nov 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't you'd agree?
Doc, I just come by to take my brain out for a few laps.

Thanks for the warm-up.

We oughtta be friends.

-Buck

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#183928 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Cletcher.
I'm here to help.

When you're up for some high-end intellectual discussion, let me know.

Fennario

#183929 Nov 13, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree-- this very discussion (what to call a regular meeting of atheists, which has many of the more useful trappings of church) about what to call it.
Most atheists groups who do this, are calling the meetings an assembly, and never a church-- they recognize the high-religious index-of-meaning attached to the word "church".
On the third had, many atheists seem to enjoy rubbing the deeply religious' collective noses in the **fact** that atheists can meet, have nice social events, gather to *help* their communities-- all without god or any of that bullsh7t.
I can see the appeal, myself--
-- but having wasted too many hours of my life sitting an a horrifically uncomfortable pew, singing songs I really did not like, being forced to recite trite and stupid poems that had utterly lost all meaning to the crowd, and then listening to an amateur lecture by an idiot who cobbled it together at the last minute?
(my personal take on 99% of church services I have attended over my lifetime)
I'll pass-- I'd much rather gather as a small enough group, at an eatery or similar, and have a lively discussion about-- whatever we like.
I'll pass, too. I think such a meeting would probably be boring. Atheism doesn't need a meeting. I've been to a few, and they weren't the best use of my time.

An hour posting on Topix is probably an hour better spent than at a meeting of unbelievers. The believers here are my only direct link to religion. And the unbelievers here are usually more articulate, informed and interesting than people can be in a meeting.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#183930 Nov 13, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"My favorite God created organism is the parasitic worm that burrows into the eyeballs of children."
Your marvelous evolution Doctor. The same evolution you praise and think so highly of.
Well, which is it, did your demon God create those worms or are they a product of evolution?

Fremont, CA

#183931 Nov 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have become more spiritual, thoughtful and sensitive than you used to be.
<quoted text>
.. under my firm but gentle hand, you continue to evolve ..
.. now, go to the gym ..
Done.

Now what?

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#183932 Nov 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice.
I smashed a guts head into a stucco wall because he called me 'white boy' one too many times.
In all fairness, I warned his ass. He didn't listen....

Were you afraid it might be true? hahahah

Fennario

#183933 Nov 13, 2013
Eagle 12 wrote:
The Sins and Neglect of Fathers Leads to Atheism, Says Author
Remember to thank him this Father's Day.

Fremont, CA

#183934 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct, Red.
An atheist cannot be a skeptic. A theist can.
Please, Buck.

Don't confuse the redneck.

He's in very poor shape already.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183935 Nov 13, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
<bullshyt deleted>
I do not try to have conversations with idiots.

(that would be you)

You have demonstrated-- repeatedly-- that you lack the intellectual capability of comprehending anything beyond your own personal delusions.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#183936 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
AS much as I would like to be called Quibberdick, the point I was getting to was the writer's misuse of the term "proof".
As opposed to "evidence", which is quantifiable.
As it goes, if the Atheist Turd wants to sound authoritative, he will say "there is no proof", "what is your proof?"
The opposing reader then seems challenged to offer "proof", which is a much taller order than producing "evidence".
That's how that works. Ability to spot fraud in language is a gift.
Catcher seems to think youre a snool. Is that what superlative polemic truth telling is? Catcher claims youre not Joe King , id like to see that claim repudiated, it would be affirming.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183937 Nov 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. the desire to unweave the rainbow connotates self-transcendence ..
WTF?

New age nonsensical woo.

Fremont, CA

#183938 Nov 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. It's pretty damn hard to be skeptical if something you don't believe in.
For example, I'm not skeptical about Santa.
I wonder if the agnostics here are...
I'm skeptical about you.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#183939 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, where to start.
At U. of Alabama, I boned a guy's girlfriend through the passenger window of his car while he was passed-out behind the wheel.
I hit Roscoe Davis with my fist and detached both his retinas with one lick.
In prison, I stuck a toothbrush up a guy's ass then made him swallow it.
I was being scouted by 2 NFL teams and was caught on camera smoking a cigarette in the huddle.
I tested positive for crack cocaine 3 times by 'Bama coaching staff.
That gives you a flavor for it.
I held back the bad stuff.
back when I played for Michigan, I once left 6 linebackers passed out on the field when a bulldozed them, actually had a beer i one hand and a joint in the other, coach was pissed, but let me finish the game. I had 9 touchdowns, pretty cool eh.

I remember I guy in a bar I hit him so hard he swallowed ALL of his teeth, broke his jaw, and nose, and cracked 4 ribs, all with ONE punch.

Funny you should mention testing I was teated for heroine AND cocaine, tested positive for both, coach let me play anyway, I was a scoring machine. Players would actually step aside rather than try and tackle me. I should have gone on and played in the NFL, but the government thought I'd be a big asset to the country as a CIA secret operative. Lost track of how many I killed, became fun after a while.

Let talk more about our amazing lives and accomplishments, this is fun.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183940 Nov 13, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Correlation does not imply causation.
You used at least two (2) words that Buck Creek is entirely unfamiliar with.

... at least two... maybe more.
Bongo

Patchogue, NY

#183941 Nov 13, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm here to help.
bwhahahahahahahahaha cough gufawwww bwhahahaha

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183942 Nov 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. insult atheists? Because I challenge the statement 'all believers are unreasonable.'??..
.. you present a personal attack instead of a viable rebuttal ..
.. I don't care if people believe or don't believe ..
.. I do care about blanket erroneous statements that demean people and create diversion ..
.. that's what you just did ..
You like to dish it out-- but you refuse to take the same treatment in return?

Classic hypocrisy.

And you are also a hypocrite:

You **made** more than **one** blanket statement that was erroneous and insulting to the atheists herein.

Say it again: you are a **hypocrite**

Since: Sep 08

Rocky Ford, CO

#183943 Nov 13, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm here to help.
Nice to know you have someone to refer him to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 14 min IB DaMann 23,565
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 18 min scientia potentia... 48,827
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 22 min IB DaMann 5,713
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 6 hr Cuddles6778 21,887
News Louisiana Christians reclaim safe space by runn... 10 hr Eagle 12 5
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 14 hr Scaritual 78
News In defense of faith 17 hr IB DaMann 7
More from around the web