Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#183763 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
The philosophy of America's founding is a religious concept - that is the only basis they could find for affirming man's endowment of rights, and the inheritance of those rights in equal fashion.
etc,.
The founding fathers were remarkably secular for their time. In 1776 religion was a lot more popular than it is today.

The unique thing about the foundation of America was that between 9 and 13 of the signers of the constitution were freemasons. This includes the main figures such as George Washington and Benjamin Franklin. America is a masonic nation with Washington DC as a masonic capital.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183764 Nov 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you do try to do just that.
So do I, but in a different way. I try to negate theists' manipulation of language - you know, the kind that try to limit how I use the word atheist, define secular ideologies as religions, conflate different meanings of "faith" in equivocation fallacies, conflate secular humanistic systems with atheistic authoritarian systems
<quoted text>
We agree there.
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing it, but you are inaccurate. Maybe you're confusing my comments about the Christian god, which I do positively assert does not exist, with gods in general, which I have often said cannot be ruled out. Here's an example of Topix poster Skombolis confusing the two as you seem to be doing:
"He said in here there may be a god but it certainty isn't Jesus or Allah. Yet prior to this he conceded that very possibility ... He said he believes it is possible creator gods exist. So he conceded he has no way of ruling it out that an intelligent creator god exists and that could be the very same God we worship as Christians ... So why has he resorted back to stating with a certainly Jesus or God as known through Christianity can't possibly exist?"
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
I'm not confusing anything. I don't believe in the "Christian god", either, though I would characterize the disagreement differently.

I believe there is god, while hesitatingly using that term due to the baggage.

I don't believe "god" is anything near what Christians say it is.

Neither did Jesus.

"The kingdom is in you and around you."

Location hidden

#183765 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
To this crowd you are someone who is unable to comprehend the full definition of the word "Atheist".
<quoted text>
I seem to be the only one able to comprehend the definition - and willing to say what it is.

Others dilute the term for personal advantage.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#183766 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I seem to be the only one able to comprehend the definition - and willing to say what it is.
Others dilute the term for personal advantage.
The Topix atheist likes to make up their own definitions to whatever suits their immediate need.

'Sup, Buck? They let you out?

~sniggers

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#183767 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
That such apparent feelings may simply be the consequence of evolution does not mean one has to deny the self one little bit. <quoted text>
.. it seems you base your position completely on evolution and fail to consider the entire psychological architecture of humans including intuition ..

.. do you go with a 'gut feeling' when it supersedes logic ??..

.. self-transcendence, the feeling that you're part of something grander, is familiar to most humans, even atheists. Is that evolution or the desire to fuse with the unknown ??..

.. it is my contention that spirituality is an intricate part of who we are. To write it off as evolution is a grievous error and a denial of self, the wonderment of life ..

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#183768 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>"The kingdom is in you and around you."
.. two silk scarves await you ..

Location hidden

#183769 Nov 13, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
The founding fathers were remarkably secular for their time. In 1776 religion was a lot more popular than it is today.
The unique thing about the foundation of America was that between 9 and 13 of the signers of the constitution were freemasons. This includes the main figures such as George Washington and Benjamin Franklin. America is a masonic nation with Washington DC as a masonic capital.
No, I think they were Druids.

You are an idiot, Stud Bun.

Location hidden

#183770 Nov 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Topix atheist likes to make up their own definitions to whatever suits their immediate need.
~sniggers
House arrest. Got a bracelet.

Beat the shit out of a guy at The Fifth Wheel. Probation people frown on that.

You look good in the photo, Red.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#183771 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Blasphemer!
;)
<quoted text>
So I have been told

#183772 Nov 13, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing mumbo jumbo in second paragraph LOL
Amusing for sure. certainly not mumbo jumbo, you should try listening to yourslef

#183773 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
What what!
<quoted text>
What where?

Location hidden

#183774 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, they do tend to look down on ya when ya bust a dude's face open...

Bunch o' nerds.

That's my real pic, BTW.

:)

Please don't flirt with me in front of the atheists...

#183775 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
As opposed to which other world of reality?
I mean, besides the real one.
What other? Only the real one, there is no Ďotherí real one. However there are imaginary ones, mythical ones, hallucinogenic ones, goddidit by magic ones but in no way can they be called real
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#183776 Nov 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
~sniggers
The God you worship murders little babies and destroys unborn fetuses. he also promotes slavery, genocide, and rape, yet you fall to your knee's and beg forgiveness, WTF is wrong with you people?????

Location hidden

#183777 Nov 13, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Amusing for sure. certainly not mumbo jumbo, you should try listening to yourslef
He has a slef?

How come I don't have one?

Location hidden

#183778 Nov 13, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
So I have been told
You see what just happened, Chris?

I asked Buck if they let him out.

He got the joke.

He didn't beat my ass, as you claimed he would.

He's not a nerd like you.

Prove you have hands.

#183779 Nov 13, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
So basically, you are telling us you are batshit crazy?
Thatís not news, thatís olds
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#183780 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
They stopped that with me, I would break the bracelet and beat the shit out of anyone that tried to put it back on or stop me. They finally just gave up. Try something like that, or are you a whimp?

#183781 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
He has a slef?
How come I don't have one?
Cos you canít afford one?

#183782 Nov 13, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You see what just happened, Chris?
I asked Buck if they let him out.
He got the joke.
He didn't beat my ass, as you claimed he would.
He's not a nerd like you.
Prove you have hands.
Well you are a godbot and buck does not kick the crap out of godbots unless he feels like it, or after heís had a drink of few or when the wind is blowing

Fingers are attached to hands and I juts used my fingers to type this post Ė There is proof I have fingers therefore I have hands.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 10 min I can read 22,113
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 2 hr Jaimie 71
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 4 hr Patrick 188
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 5 hr Patrick 42
Stump a theist with 2 questions 5 hr Patrick 18
Atheism 101: What's the most aggravating argume... 10 hr Patrick n Angela 3
The Ultimate Evidence of God Mon sriKim 120
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••