Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247457 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183803 Nov 13, 2013
The Sins and Neglect of Fathers Leads to Atheism, Says Author

Author delves into psychological reasons behind the widespread denial of God

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov. 7, 2013 /Christian Newswire/-- Sigmund Freud claimed that once a child or youth is disappointed in or loses respect for his earthly father, belief in a heavenly father becomes impossible. A child's tumultuous relationship with their father is the determining factor in the widespread rise of atheism, claims Dr. Paul Vitz in his controversial new book, FAITH OF THE FATHERLESS: The Psychology of Atheism.

As a former atheist, Vitz exposes atheism to the same psychological analysis that atheist apologists have used to debunk religious belief. FAITH OF THE FATHERLESS shows how psychoanalysis is actually a better explanation for the denial of God. Being disappointed in one's earthly father, whether through death, absence or mistreatment, often leads to a rejection of God. The crisis of fatherhood in our culture has us in the midst of a 500-year period of adolescence that glorifies aggression and sexual exploitation, according to Vitz.

A biographical survey of influential atheists of the past four centuries -- Freud, Friedrich Nietzche, Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins, among many others -- shows that this "defective father hypothesis" provides a consistent explanation of the "intense atheism" of these thinkers. A survey of the leading defenders of Christianity over the same period -- G.K. Chesterton, Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Edmund Burke, among others -- confirms the hypothesis, finding few defective fathers. Vitz concludes with an intriguing comparison of male and female atheists and a consideration of other psychological factors that can contribute to atheism.

Throughout FAITH OF THE FATHERLESS, Vitz does not argue that atheism is psychologically determined. He provides an exposition of the psychological factors predisposing a person to atheism and strongly confirms the essential importance of the role of a good father in a family.

"In deploying Freudian theory against atheism itself, Paul Vitz has proven beyond a doubt what's missing from secular accounts of secularization, namely, actual human beings," says cultural commentator Mary Eberstadt. "His thesis is intellectual jujutsu of the first order."

Vitz is a former professor of psychology at New York University and was an atheist until his late 30s.

http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/9233773...
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#183804 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I don't worship Evolution any more than I worship gravity.
Evolution is unfeeling, unthinking. However it is real.
<quoted text>
Take a deep breath and breath out sloooooowly, "evoluuuuuuuution."
Thinking

UK

#183805 Nov 13, 2013
Buck will lie again, that's what.
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I don't see why they contradict.
I, for example, am an atheist.
But if someone provides proof of a deity, any deity, I will of course have to change that.
Now what?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183806 Nov 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. then why do atheists say, "I don't believe in God" ??..
<quoted text>
.. what makes you think I wouldn't get it ??..
.. most atheists I know have said, "I'm atheist," or "I don't believe in God." ..
.. are you saying all believers are unreasonable ??..
I **am** saying that **most** are.

And your first post in this thread (at least in a while) starts out with an attempt to insult atheists, does not bode well for your credibility.

Which are you? Unreasonable or reasonable?

Atheism is **not** a faith based stance-- it is a **lack** of faith, in fact.

Just as "clear" or transparent is not a color.

If you had bothered to **listen** to your (likely fictional) atheist "friends", you would have already been aware of this fact.

That you would begin with such an inflammatory and patently **false** claim?

Says nothing good about **you**.
Thinking

UK

#183807 Nov 13, 2013
No, but you seem obliged to get Evolution all mixed up with creation.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism requires faith in evoluuuuuuuuuuuuuution.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183808 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Just because a believer is not reasoning does not mean they are unreasonable in the social meaning of the word.
<quoted text>
Although, if you judge believers by **this** thread?

They are-- every one of them-- unreasonable in all phases of their lives.

I hope to be proven wrong on this one-- but I won't hold my breath.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183809 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Blob crossed himself up.
He inadvertently disclaimed his own position.
He won't realize it.
Hate speech and projective bullshyt duly noted and recorded.

You would not recognize a position if it smacked you in your dull, and over-fed face.

Sad.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183810 Nov 13, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Just considering the form of life we know, there could very easily be alternatives to carbon/water/goldilocks. Given what is known about the ability of carbon based life to exist in extreme and hostile environments then I see no reason to discount alternatives
And true (real true, not Christian “True”), the “doh, I don’ unnerstan’ so it muss be my god wot dunit by magic” just does not make a lot of since in the real world of reality
Agreed.

The odds that life exist elsewhere in the Milky Way? Are pretty much 1:1.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183811 Nov 13, 2013
Just Think wrote:
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any of the thousands of gods ever worshiped actually existed.
Atheism requires no faith at all.
Correct.

But the faithists? Won't have **that**-- they are under the false cloud that **everything** is faith-based.

It's kinda sad to witness.

"If you could reason with religious people? There would be no religious people." ~~ House

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183812 Nov 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. what does reasoning have to do with belief ??..
Everything.

Belief without reason and without **facts** to support it?

Is just bullshyt-- like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183813 Nov 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. you must reduce your position to agnosticism or you're taking a leap of faith ..
.. think about it ..
Even if you keep repeating the lie?

It will not magically transform into a not-lie.

I know this is what you **believe** but-- belief based on lies? Is still a lie--no matter how often you repeat the lie.

(your credibility is on a rapid decline here)

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183814 Nov 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Name the religious concepts America was founded on.
Freedom of religion?
That isn't specifically a religious concept, but it is a concept of the free. Please explain what religious concepts you're talking about.
That individuals are endowed with rights by virtue of each person being created by a creator, and thus those rights accrue to each person equally, regardless of status or birth.

That is a religious concept, and they could find no other justification.

That's the factual record. You don't have to like it.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183815 Nov 13, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
A week or so ago, you and I were having a conversation. I offered my thoughts on a particular topic. You called me a liar.
I fail to see how I can have a conversation with you when you believe that an individual's thoughts are lies.
The Buckster is just a narcissist with an extremely low self-esteem.

It's a pretty debilitating combination.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#183816 Nov 13, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>I don't see why they contradict.
But if someone provides proof of a deity, any deity, I will of course have to change that.
Now what?
That just means you are too lazy to investigate the matter yourself. You let others tell you what is and what ain't. Get your hands dirty. Get out of the Peanut Gallery.

Your life, your brain. Use it for yourself, or let others use it for themselves.
Thinking

UK

#183817 Nov 13, 2013
The universe really isn't vast if you believe the stars are just lights stuck to a dome as the bible says.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
If you allow for non-carbon/DNA based life? Certainly a possibility we cannot dismiss-- examples of extremophiles on Earth are plentiful.
Then the odds of life elsewhere than earth, within the Milky Way, are a certainty.(as certain as anything in science, of course).
Of course--we have no reasonable way to calculate the odds of any life-bearing planet developing a self-aware, tool-using sentient such as ourselves.
And it's also quite difficult to calculate the odds of such a species surviving long enough to leave the planetary nest behind, instead of perishing from some catastrophe or other--be it self-made or something akin to a "dino killer asteroid".
So we cannot say what the chances are that such a species should ever visit earth-- I'd have to guess that they are vanishingly small.
Be that as it may? The odds that life exists on other places in our own Milky Way? Are as near to 1:1 as you like.
But I do not expect to be visited by any in anyone's comfortable lifetime--
-- mostly because space is so ... vast.
A fact that your typical godbot is entirely unable to grasp.
What with their near-total lack of a scientific education...
.... sad, really.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183818 Nov 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
This is the self-loathing and misanthropy that I believe Bongo was referring to earlier when he said, "Now if I could just make this deep self loathing and misanthropy I have go away." I think that he may have avoided falling into the trap, but many others were not as lucky, and do think in those terms.
It's related to the teaching that manifests as criticizing the failure to fall to one's knees to and beg forgiveness in acknowledgement of that worthlessness in terms of ego, rebellion, and pride that we have also seen here recently.
I can't see how any of that serves us as people, and consider it one of over a dozen very bad ideas offered to those receiving a Christian education.
I agree.

But christianity is very good at keeping people behaving as mindless sheep.

The better to fleece them, and then shortly after? Mutton stew.

All the while the mindless sheep are baaing with "contentment".
Thinking

UK

#183819 Nov 13, 2013
I'm using "reasonable" to mean they should be able to eat cheese without sticking it in their ear.
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Although, if you judge believers by **this** thread?
They are-- every one of them-- unreasonable in all phases of their lives.
I hope to be proven wrong on this one-- but I won't hold my breath.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183820 Nov 13, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought as much. I find it quite arrogant for Christians to assume they are saved, esp. when they believe in absolute assurance, regardless of their actions. Maybe this explains why fundies are so objectionable, because they are unafraid of losing their "salvation".
Actually? Growing up in fundie-church as I have?

These poor fools are far from certain-- they live in a perpetual state of fear of dying without being forgiven from imaginary something-something (that they cannot define).

It's pretty sad, really-- the agonizing and tiny lives they live under the ugly that is Genuine Christianity™.

Of course-- the pastors of these people often drive nice cars, live very comfortably off the collective pittance of their "flocks".

As Tom Petty said in a song? "It's good to be King"

:)

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183821 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:

"Buck will lie again, that's what."

macumazahn wrote:

"I don't see why they contradict.
Now what?"

You two simpletons think I have to lie to answer that?

Smack Suzan, if you are an atheist, you are an "atheist".

If you stop being an "atheist", then you will not be an "atheist".

Man,...had to rack my brain on that one.

You guys are such a challenge.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#183822 Nov 13, 2013
spudgun wrote:
<quoted text>
So basically, you are telling us you are batshit crazy?
Surely you already knew that?

<grin>

And yes-- I know your name isn't "Shirly".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 26 min JustASkeptic 12,721
Proof of God for the Atheist 1 hr Thinking 128
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 47,814
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 2 hr True Christian wi... 10
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 2 hr True Christian wi... 23
Hitler was Catholic 4 hr Pagatheist 2
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 22 hr ChristineM 2,353
More from around the web