Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239092 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#183725 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Not to mention the possibility there is life that can develop outside of the Goldilocks zone, or in higher dimensions, or in dark matter or parallel universes or... I could just say "god dunnit" but that seems so very unimaginative.
<quoted text>
Just considering the form of life we know, there could very easily be alternatives to carbon/water/goldilocks. Given what is known about the ability of carbon based life to exist in extreme and hostile environments then I see no reason to discount alternatives

And true (real true, not Christian “True”), the “doh, I don’ unnerstan’ so it muss be my god wot dunit by magic” just does not make a lot of since in the real world of reality

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#183726 Nov 13, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why wouldn't you what?
Whatting can be fun, if you do it correctly.
what?
Thinking

UK

#183727 Nov 13, 2013
Blasphemer!

;)
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Just considering the form of life we know, there could very easily be alternatives to carbon/water/goldilocks. Given what is known about the ability of carbon based life to exist in extreme and hostile environments then I see no reason to discount alternatives
And true (real true, not Christian “True”), the “doh, I don’ unnerstan’ so it muss be my god wot dunit by magic” just does not make a lot of since in the real world of reality
LCNLin

United States

#183728 Nov 13, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>

Amusing mumbo jumbo in second paragraph LOL
Thinking

UK

#183729 Nov 13, 2013
What what!
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
what?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#183730 Nov 13, 2013
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any of the thousands of gods ever worshiped actually existed.

Atheism requires no faith at all.
LCNLin

United States

#183731 Nov 13, 2013
which is why atheism must be defended all day on topix
LOL

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#183732 Nov 13, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Just because a believer is not reasoning does not mean they are unreasonable in the social meaning of the word.
<quoted text>
.. what does reasoning have to do with belief ??..

.. if you catch the scent of a Dianthus flower in full bloom, you may pause, feel elated, even free. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Would you say your experience was spiritual or reasonable ??..

.. sure, you can try to explain the phenomenon and intimate olfactory functioning but what accounts for your sense of happiness, bliss ??..

.. since there are exceptions, it seems the claim that believers cannot reason is a misnomer and limits the human condition, the unexplainable innate spirituality of all humans. To deny it is to deny self ..

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#183733 Nov 13, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
As opposed to which other world of reality?

I mean, besides the real one.

Location hidden

#183734 Nov 13, 2013
Just Think wrote:
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any of the thousands of gods ever worshiped actually existed.
Why do you say "any proof"?

If there is "proof", how does the quantity of proof matter?

If there is not "proof", how does the lack of any particular quantity matter?

Location hidden

#183735 Nov 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. what does reasoning have to do with belief ??..
.. if you catch the scent of a Dianthus flower in full bloom, you may pause, feel elated, even free. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Would you say your experience was spiritual or reasonable ??..
.. sure, you can try to explain the phenomenon and intimate olfactory functioning but what accounts for your sense of happiness, bliss ??..
.. since there are exceptions, it seems the claim that believers cannot reason is a misnomer and limits the human condition, the unexplainable innate spirituality of all humans. To deny it is to deny self ..
Ouch. They are more comfortable refuting Noah's ark.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#183736 Nov 13, 2013
Just Think wrote:
.. you must reduce your position to agnosticism or you're taking a leap of faith ..

.. think about it ..

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#183737 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you say "any proof"?
If there is "proof", how does the quantity of proof matter?
If there is not "proof", how does the lack of any particular quantity matter?
A week or so ago, you and I were having a conversation. I offered my thoughts on a particular topic. You called me a liar.

I fail to see how I can have a conversation with you when you believe that an individual's thoughts are lies.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#183738 Nov 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Christianity, which teaches that man is worthless and dependent - that he has no meaning or purpose except in terms of submitting to and worshiping a god - is also toxic to that.
spudgun wrote:
I remember it well. Religion brainwashes you to believe you are a worthless POS unless you submit to the teachings of a saviour person Jesus/Muhammed/etc. It teaches we are all sinners due to the fall of man, from the fable of adam and eve disobeying God in the garden of Eden. You endlessly repeat you lack of self worth in prayer and in church, over and over. As the story goes all humans are worthless and destined for eternal fire unless they believe in Jesus, eat his flesh at mass in the form of a wafer, pray fervently, pay tithes. That last bit most important of all! I wonder why? Then you as one of the lucky few, the elect, will enjoy the company of angels singing eternal praises to Gawd in heaven or if Muslim the sensual pleasures of 72 virgins in paradise. Comforted in the knowledge that the 99% in hell or purgatory have willingly chosen their eternal punishment. So kind, so loving, this "God". You could imagine that it was just made up by priests to scare the living daylights out of people!
This is the self-loathing and misanthropy that I believe Bongo was referring to earlier when he said, "Now if I could just make this deep self loathing and misanthropy I have go away." I think that he may have avoided falling into the trap, but many others were not as lucky, and do think in those terms.

It's related to the teaching that manifests as criticizing the failure to fall to one's knees to and beg forgiveness in acknowledgement of that worthlessness in terms of ego, rebellion, and pride that we have also seen here recently.

I can't see how any of that serves us as people, and consider it one of over a dozen very bad ideas offered to those receiving a Christian education.

Location hidden

#183739 Nov 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. you must reduce your position to agnosticism or you're taking a leap of faith ..
.. think about it ..
To this crowd, an agnostic is an atheist, or...

It's impossible to be an agnostic.

"Atheism (Greek, a-[private prefix]+ theos, god) is the view that there is no divine being, no God" (Dictionary of Philosophy, Thomas Mautner, Editor)

Location hidden

#183740 Nov 13, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
A week or so ago, you and I were having a conversation. I offered my thoughts on a particular topic. You called me a liar.
I fail to see how I can have a conversation with you when you believe that an individual's thoughts are lies.
I don't recall the particular conversation you reference, but if I falsely accused you, I am sorry.

Please excuse my abruptness.

Location hidden

#183741 Nov 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
This is the self-loathing and misanthropy that I believe Bongo was referring to earlier when he said, "Now if I could just make this deep self loathing and misanthropy I have go away." I think that he may have avoided falling into the trap, but many others were not as lucky, and do think in those terms.
It's related to the teaching that manifests as criticizing the failure to fall to one's knees to and beg forgiveness in acknowledgement of that worthlessness in terms of ego, rebellion, and pride that we have also seen here recently.
I can't see how any of that serves us as people, and consider it one of over a dozen very bad ideas offered to those receiving a Christian education.
If self-loathing is justified, shouldn't I loathe myself?

I have done lots of loath-worthy things.

Don't I deserve self-loathing?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#183742 Nov 13, 2013
spudgun wrote:
Hi IANS, I can see you have debated theists here for a while. I have a question. Do most Christians you have debated with think they are "saved", or do they think merely they have upped their chances of being saved? Cheers
When I have asked, they tell me that they are quite certain that they are saved, although many will question the salvation of other Christians. You might find this of interest in that regard:

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
spudgun

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#183743 Nov 13, 2013
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I have done lots of loath-worthy things.
Such as what? feel free to share.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#183744 Nov 13, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I garnish the hope of hearing something that will rationally make sense about the origins of life and the rise of man. But there only seems to be black and white, the grey is considered crazy.
I believe nothing but don't fall into the bible god or the pure naturally causes. But I'm not crazy, I just have no evidence to make any claims. I think something is out there though, just not sure what it is.
That is a most rational view, and one shared by many theists and deists, including myself. But Topix atheists have to portray them as mindless idiots to bolster their egos. This gets in the way of rational discussion.

As you should see I don't have a blind faith goddidit acceptance. I analyze life from a physical and technical angle. This began a long time ago when I discovered I can channel telluric currents on the macro scale just like I can wire a circuit board. You can develop a religious experience from them. These invisible forces were the spirits and gods that turned into the concept of one supreme power source. But from there came the understanding you have the "natural" flow of these forces, and the perhaps mistaken artificial flows tapping into this greater universal source that can interfere with the natural flows. The power of a god without an understanding of the greater construct. That is an issue man has faced for a long time.

Our intelligence is inherited, but our wisdom is limited. We can run amok at times.

A very simple analysis of the situation. EM exists everywhere. Different materials exchange the energy of it to differing degrees. We can harness it to do some interesting things. We use water, carbon, salts, and various materials you find laying about combined with that universal energy source.. We are made of water, carbon, salts, and various materials laying about combined with that universal energy source. One can assume we are manifesting the will of something greater than us just like we use those materials to manifest our collective will. It really isn't that much of a stretch. You have those that wish to assume we arose by accident and learned to do that by accident.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 6 min Insults Are Easier 111
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 58 min Agents of Corruption 7,370
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 1 hr NoahLovesU 7,465
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... Sun hpcaban 30
News .com | What hope is there without God? May 20 Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) May 20 thetruth 2,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) May 19 Kathleen 19,031
More from around the web